Menu

My middle son took a job across the country

Lynn in al

7 minutes ago, Lynn in al said:

He leaves tomorrow with my 3 grandbabies.  😭  We are planning a road trip to see them the end of June.is that to soon?

Nope.  Not too soon at all, if you ask me.    My kid moved an 1.5 hour away and it's killing me.    (((Hugs)))

• Like 1

I'm sorry!  It's hard enough when it's your kids but must be so much tougher when grandchildren are involved.  I think visiting in June is fine as long as they are comfortable with it.  Hugs to you - that's a big change.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Did they invite you to come the end of June?  Perhaps I am just slow but I personally would be extremely stressed trying to get an entire household with kids settled and then company ready in such a short time. But they will know their own comfort level best. 

In that timeframe, my parents would be a relief--if the bathroom is clean and the kitchen sink is clean, and they have someplace to sleep, they are good and will probably help clean the rest.

In-laws...yeah, nope. Difficult to deal with in the best circumstances. They can be helpful, but even then, it's a "please ask me to help" but the help is not always helpful (and sometimes they don't actually want to do the things that need to be done, won't say so, but you still know). 

So, I say it's all about the relationship/ability to blend in with their reality (besides just checking calendar compatibility).

• Like 5

Man, that is hard 😭

Not exaggerating, this is pretty high on the list of my greatest fears. 

As far as visiting, it depends on the relationship. Are y’all close? If you’re close and wouldn’t feel like a visitor they have to be ready for then it should be fine 

• Like 2

I will also say, if the kids are used to seeing the grandparents often, they can miss the grandparents and want to see them, too, and I think that is a real consideration.  I think that just depends, too, but if you’ve been seeing them often I think it’s a good timeline for them, too.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, kbutton said:

In that timeframe, my parents would be a relief--if the bathroom is clean and the kitchen sink is clean, and they have someplace to sleep, they are good and will probably help clean the rest.

In-laws...yeah, nope. Difficult to deal with in the best circumstances. They can be helpful, but even then, it's a "please ask me to help" but the help is not always helpful (and sometimes they don't actually want to do the things that need to be done, won't say so, but you still know). 

So, I say it's all about the relationship/ability to blend in with their reality (besides just checking calendar compatibility).

I just couldn’t tell from the OP whether “we’re planning a road trip “ included input from the people they are visiting. Sometimes people forget in their enthusiasm to ask if it’s convenient for a visit and sometimes they put pressure on only receiving a certain answer. I don’t know the OP or their family dynamics, of course. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I just couldn’t tell from the OP whether “we’re planning a road trip “ included input from the people they are visiting. Sometimes people forget in their enthusiasm to ask if it’s convenient for a visit and sometimes they put pressure on only receiving a certain answer. I don’t know the OP or their family dynamics, of course. 

I agree--I just thought your response made a good launching point for my own answer. :-) 

• Like 1

We are experienced military movers and our home is usually unpacked w/in two weeks but I would not want guests the following month as I try to settle in and get kids registered with schools, camps, doctors, conduct eye exams, etc., not even my besties.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

We are experienced military movers and our home is usually unpacked w/in two weeks but I would not want guests the following month as I try to settle in and get kids registered with schools, camps, doctors, conduct eye exams, etc., not even my besties.

We were military too and my mom’s rule was we unpacked as they carried things in. 24 hours max was her rule for unpacking!! Including pictures hung on the walls.

I carried that with me into married life and found out it’s not that way for most families. I was a bit shocked 😂 

• Like 1

My husband also grew up that way, and he unpacks extremely quickly.  When my kids were little he would totally unpack and set the house while I would take care of the kids, and he would be done in 3 days.  

He is not capable of lowering his intensity on that, he would be so worried we would lose steam and would move unopened boxes, if we didn’t.  

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 1

I don’t think it’s too soon. However, my husband’s sister and her husband are the kind who would ask when is a good date/time to visit and would offer to book a hotel nearby. That means we can suggest dates which are feasible for us and we aren’t under pressure to prepared a guest bed for them. 

Edited by Arcadia
typo
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I don’t think it’s too soon. However, my husband’s sister and her husband are the kind who would ask when is a good date/time to visit and would offer to book a hotel nearby. That means we can suggest dates which are feasible for us and we aren’t under pressure to prepared a guest bed for them. 

We plan to stay in a near by KOA.

• Like 2

On 5/1/2023 at 9:46 AM, Jean in Newcastle said:

Did they invite you to come the end of June?  Perhaps I am just slow but I personally would be extremely stressed trying to get an entire household with kids settled and then company ready in such a short time. But they will know their own comfort level best. 

We plan to stay on a cabin at a near by KOA.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1