Menu

weird question

ProudGrandma

We have a small bathroom in our home where my husband and I both shower.  When we are done, we hang out towels to dry and the bathroom stinks like a locker room.  We run the exhaust fan, and it appears to take the moisture out....the mirror and window aren't fogged up.  I am pretty sure the issue is our towels, but since the bathroom is not a master bedroom bathroom, but rather one that others can use, I need to get this situation figured out.  The stink doesn't last all day...but much of it. 

I have toyed with the idea of simply taking our bath towels every day and tossing them in the dryer, but I didn't know if there was any reason that I shouldn't do that.  

I wash our towels often, but not daily. 

thoughts please?

Try washing them with oxyclean or bleaching them if they’re white. Run the fan for 30-60 minutes after the shower is over. 

If that doesn’t work, switch to all white linens, towels, bath mats, and shower curtains and bleach everything when it stinks. 

• Like 2

The answer may be in your washer machine.  Do you close the doors when not in use, thereby trapping moisture within the door gasket?  Mold often grows in there, often leaving the laundry to smell moldy.   Running the washer on hot with bleach without clothes (to clean the washer) may help some.  Try opening up the gaskets by hand to see if they are moldy inside and see what you can do to clean within that area. If terribly bad, you may need to replace the washer.  Google it to see what else can be done...

33 minutes ago, kfeusse said:

I removed the towels yesterday and the smell disappeared. 

Can you just hang them somewhere else, that they might dry faster than in the bathroom? 

Does your bathroom have ventilation in it?  Not just the air fan?  One of our bathrooms doesn't have a vent for heat/air in it.  It also doesn't have a window.  I wouldn't hang towels in there.

Our other bathroom has an heat/ac vent and a window.  We hang towels in there and have no trouble with them drying/smelling in there.

Edited by mommyoffive

I keep my towels on the outside of the door to the 1/2 bath that I use when I'm only washing hair. The 1/2 bath is positioned like a guest bath, so there is a lot of air volume for that moisture to dissipate into. (Sorry for the grammar faux pas.)

Maybe something like that would work for you?

You have some good suggestions.  I've gotten to the point where I just use some oxiclean in every load because it does great with smells and surprise stains.

When we had our bathrooms remodeled in our 1915 home the contractor recommended running the fan for an hour after showering.  We had timers put on those switches so when we get in the shower, we just put the timer on for an hour.  Just another thought.  Also, you may want to check that the exhaust vent is clear.