Menu

Job searchers: check in here?

Halftime Hope

I'm feeling the need for a bit of support, or at least mutual commiseration. Ha!

It's a tough job market out here. Can we share so we don't feel so alone?

How are ya doin'?

What are you finding tough?

What are you learning?

Had any wins, small or large?

Tell me something that you did well or something you were proud of?

Let's support and encourage each other...my IRL friends have enough on their plates, and a couple of them are from my most recent workplace (I had great colleagues), and so I need to NOT make them feel worse with my struggling after being laid off...it's not their fault that things went south, and they are struggling with the changes.

Thanks!

HHope

• Like 6

I’m no longer in the search phase, as I have received and accepted my offer and start date. 🙂 But I’m happy to offer support to anyone looking. 

In my case, it’s so mind-boggling to me that something that seemed like a big negative - my boss selling the firm when I was not “ready” to level up - turned into such an extremely better offer. We will, at long last, have health insurance mostly paid for by my employer, after 30 years of small business self-paid health insurance. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

Ha! After I bumped this this morning, I was ghosted by a recruiter who was supposed to do a phone interview with me. How hard would it be to send a 30-second message through Calendly (the appointment-setting software) to say, "Dear Candidate, I've canceled our phone interview because I've chosen other candidates to forward to the hiring manager. Thank you and best wishes in your job search." Not calling at the appointed time and then canceling the appointment without communication is standard behavior for recruiters, as is no response when you send in a thoughtful application. It's inconsiderate. 

Humbug.

ETA: it was just as bad when dh job searched years ago...this is nothing new.

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Sad 14

Ugh, I wish you all the best. It's baffling out there!

I lucked into my current job. I'd been half-heartedly thinking about going back to work/light job seeking. Part of me knows it's going to be really good for me, but at the same time I'm really not in a healthy mental state and taking on anything extra is truly daunting. That said, a friend recommended me for a part time, exclusively WFH position I could hardly turn down. It's been a tough transition, but I think it will be a positive in the long run. I would have no idea to find this sort of job in the real world though; this was entirely word of mouth and luck.

• Like 6

I’m not looking for a job, but dd20 will be home from college in a couple weeks and looking for a job.  She wants to go back to the place she worked last summer.  They gave her plenty of hours, but only paid around $10.50/hour.  Plus they now close an hour later, so if I have to pick her up when she closes, it will be 10pm instead of 9pm.  I’m trying to convince her to look elsewhere, especially because I know a lot of places are paying $15/hour or closer to it.  

• Like 3

I'm not exactly a job seeker, but I'm keeping an eye out for postings that would interest me, now that my neediest kid is graduating from high school, and my youngest two will be fairly self-sufficient seniors next year. I just sent my resume yesterday for a part-time position at one of the libraries that I frequent. My skill set and work experience match the job posting, and the hours they need to fill would be almost perfect for me. We shall see what happens.

If I don't get an offer, I will keep my eye out for other opportunities in a low key way.

• Like 6

I emailed my first resume for a supply teaching job at a local school.  I haven't worked for over 20 years so I am feeling quite overwhelmed by the whole process.  My last homeschooling student has just a few weeks of school left in eighth grade and then will head off to high school in the fall.

I am also trying to help my son get a summer job for the last couple months with no luck.  Not sure why he hasn't gotten a job.  I am certain he would succeed in almost any position.  It's hard.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

I'm not exactly a job seeker, but I'm keeping an eye out for postings that would interest me, now that my neediest kid is graduating from high school, and my youngest two will be fairly self-sufficient seniors next year. I just sent my resume yesterday for a part-time position at one of the libraries that I frequent. My skill set and work experience match the job posting, and the hours they need to fill would be almost perfect for me. We shall see what happens.

If I don't get an offer, I will keep my eye out for other opportunities in a low key way.

If you don't get the offer, you might start volunteering there to get your foot in the door. People are much more likely to hire a known quantity. I'd love to work at a library, but around here, the libraries only hire part-time to keep costs down.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, mommyto4 said:

I emailed my first resume for a supply teaching job at a local school.  I haven't worked for over 20 years so I am feeling quite overwhelmed by the whole process.  My last homeschooling student has just a few weeks of school left in eighth grade and then will head off to high school in the fall.

I am also trying to help my son get a summer job for the last couple months with no luck.  Not sure why he hasn't gotten a job.  I am certain he would succeed in almost any position.  It's hard.

Very best of luck to you!

Yep, I keep hearing about worker shortages. Employers are sure able to be picky. (If it's any consolation dd tried and tried and tried to get a job her senior summer and finally scored two part-time jobs. It was ridiculous, she was cute, vivacious, had everything going for her, no reason not to hire. It shouldn't have been that difficult.)

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Miss Tick said:

How frustrating! What job field are you searching in?

I was the exec asst to a university president, and before that had exec asst experience in a different field. (Nearly 10 years total after homeschooling.) Got laid off due to contracting finances. (Demographically, higher ed is going to be in trouble with shrinking populations, although we were holding steady.)

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 3

I'm bound to change job whether I like it or not, because my department is merging with another one, so jobs will have to be redesigned. 

I'm on the look out for a job that I can choose (rather then being shuffled into).  I applied for a position that a friend was retiring out of.  She thought I had a very good chance, but her boss had other ideas and I didn't even get an interview.  Oh well.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 6

4 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I'm bound to change job whether I like it or not, because my department is merging with another one, so jobs will have to be redesigned. 

I'm on the look out for a job that I can choose (rather then being shuffled into).  I applied for a position that a friend was retiring out of.  She thought I had a very good chance, but her boss had other ideas and I didn't even get an interview.  Oh well.

Oh boy, do I hear ya! That's really frustrating.

When we (four of us) were laid off, my boss did a good job trying to get us all a job lead. The problem was mine wasn't a great fit, and I felt a bit "hand me downed".  Ha! So I hear ya about the "shuffled into" part.  Best wishes, Laura!

I have two interviews coming up: one Thursday, and one yet to be scheduled.  (That one is because I made bold today and called the HR person, emphasizing how interested I was in the organization. (It is an org we've patronized over the years.) )

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have an initial phone interview tomorrow morning for the library position. They call it a screener interview, and it's with HR and only lasts 10-15 minutes. From what I've read online about the process, they invite candidates that they are interested in to a second, in-person interview, which will include people from the actual library branch.

I am cautiously hopeful. Awhile back, I reached the interview stage at a different library system but didn't get the job, even though I had held that exact job at a different library years ago. And they didn't have another candidate, because they continued to advertise that position for almost a year. That was extremely discouraging and demoralizing.

So I am trying not to get my hopes up.

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

24 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

I have an initial phone interview tomorrow morning for the library position. They call it a screener interview, and it's with HR and only lasts 10-15 minutes. From what I've read online about the process, they invite candidates that they are interested in to a second, in-person interview, which will include people from the actual library branch.

I am cautiously hopeful. Awhile back, I reached the interview stage at a different library system but didn't get the job, even though I had held that exact job at a different library years ago. And they didn't have another candidate, because they continued to advertise that position for almost a year. That was extremely discouraging and demoralizing.

So I am trying not to get my hopes up.

Ugh, that sounds discouraging! Several years ago I knew "all the right people", had current experience and excellent references and was assured I was a shoe in for a particular library job. Didn't make it past the first interview, and when I ran into one of my interviewers at the grocery some days later she wouldn't even look at me. Who knows what goes on. 🤷‍♀️

Best of luck to you tomorrow! I hope it's a much better experience! 

• Sad 4

Thanks!!

I still frequent that other library to check out materials, but I don't hang out there longer than necessary, and I don't chat with the staff. Because I interviewed during mask mandates, I hope that they don't recognize me. I definitely felt that one as a personal rejection and still feel the sting, three years later.

For this job, I expect there are multiple applicants, and if they choose someone else, I will be disappointed, but not in such a personal way.

• Like 8

Had two in-person interviews last Thursday, and a quickie phone screen on Friday morning for the same recruiting group that ghosted me. Today I interviewed with a very nice recruiter there, and she was very helpful. Tomorrow I get to do online skills assessments -- whee. I hope to have second interviews for the two Thursday opportunities later next week or early the following. 

One of the things that stinks is I know it's costing my former employer -- the place I still love -- every month I'm drawing unemployment. I feel badly for me and for them.

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 4

I haven't felt up to looking for another job after I got let go 6 weeks ago.  I've been really depressed.  Now that I've had some time to think about it, I decided that I will look for a part-time clinic job that doesn't have weekend or holiday hours.  There had been a couple of jobs posted several weeks ago, but I was not in a head space to be able to pursue them.  So, I'm looking for a unicorn.  I don't really want to go back to a hospital since I know that I'll have to take call, and I'm not confident right now to be on my own again.  My stomach clenches any time I think of having to scan an inpatient, especially in the ICU.   I've been using this time off to get some help for depression and tackle some stuff around the house that I've been neglecting since I went back to school.  Unfortunately, this long to-do list means I'm spending money.  

@Halftime Hope I'm sorry that recruiter couldn't be bothered to cancel a phone interview.  That is so crappy.  That happened to me and it sucked.  

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 8

2 hours ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

I haven't felt up to looking for another job after I got let go 6 weeks ago.  I've been really depressed.  Now that I've had some time to think about it, I decided that I will look for a part-time clinic job that doesn't have weekend or holiday hours.  There had been a couple of jobs posted several weeks ago, but I was not in a head space to be able to pursue them.  So, I'm looking for a unicorn.  I don't really want to go back to a hospital since I know that I'll have to take call, and I'm not confident right now to be on my own again.  My stomach clenches any time I think of having to scan an inpatient, especially in the ICU.   I've been using this time off to get some help for depression and tackle some stuff around the house that I've been neglecting since I went back to school.  Unfortunately, this long to-do list means I'm spending money.

I hear ya!

I'm glad you've identified the unicorn, and I will add prayers for you and that job that has your name on it to my list!  Wishing you every good thing.

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 3

I had my phone interview with the library today, and the questions were surprisingly challenging for a "screener" interview. She will give her notes to the hiring manager, and if he wants to invite me for a follow up interview, he will contact me within a few weeks. She said to check back with her at the end of May, if I haven't heard anything. I am guessing they will move forward faster than that, but you never know.

I think I did well. I had decent answers for the questions in my weaker areas -- only a couple of things, mostly about technology. Now that I have a taste for what kind of things they ask, I will be able to prepare more thoroughly for a possible second interview.

She asked for a lot of examples from my past work experiences, and I was able to provide them. I think the questions she asked could easily have screened out candidates who applied because they had some of the listed qualifications, but not all. I have all of the qualifications, though tech knowledge is my weakest area. This is not a tech job, but they want someone who will liason with the tech people about things on the website, and who can potentially teach computer classes. I have done that in past jobs, but twenty years ago tech was way different, so I would have a learning curve (didn't tell her that!).

• Like 8

Well, that was interesting! I completed the online skills assessments for the Microsoft Office family. I was concerned about PPT and Excel, and yet what they asked about them was fairly simple.

I did learn quite a bit in preparing for the assessments, mostly finding features I'd never had a chance to use in each program. I made one mistake on the Word assessment, and it's really a shame because I know how to do that manipulation in real Word, I just couldn't get it to work in the assessment tool.

The big question is whether I have skills that fall high or low within the EA pool that she normally works with. I suspect I'm lower than some of her candidates. C'est le vie.

• Like 6

Two jobs are being advertised in my organisation.  They are both at my current grade. One is to do more of the least stressful tasks in my current job - I really should be shortlisted for that. The other is more of a reach but would be a fun departure. I'll apply for them both this weekend. 

I'm starting to experience a flush of schadenfreude over the job I really wanted and wasn't interviewed for. Their first choice for the role turned it down. Their second choice has no administrative experience.  The panel just shortlisted everyone with a PhD, instead of - well - someone with a Masters with 'administration' in the title plus eight years of relevant experience.  On their heads be it.

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

43 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Two jobs are being advertised in my organisation.  They are both at my current grade. One is to do more of the least stressful tasks in my current job - I really should be shortlisted for that. The other is more of a reach but would be a fun departure. I'll apply for them both this weekend. 

I'm starting to experience a flush of schadenfreude over the job I really wanted and wasn't interviewed for. Their first choice for the role turned it down. Their second choice has no administrative experience.  The panel just shortlisted everyone with a PhD, instead of - well - someone with a Masters with 'administration' in the title plus eight years of relevant experience.  On their heads be it.

Serves them right 😡. Maybe you dodged a bullet. 

• Like 2

I graduate next month and want to go into a certain field. The positions all require 6 months of volunteer experience. I am still homeschooling DS so I have not been able to make it work yet. DH is home several days a week but does not keep DS on track when I am gone. Feeling pretty irritated about that.

Also my resume is embarrassing. I did the best I could tailoring homeschooling and other life experiences for the position but blah. I have no experience interviewing for a job and have not worked in 27 years. My imposter syndrome is in full force right now. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

That's a very natural reaction on your part. I really hope you get the position your most enjoy!! ☺️

On the topic of orgs who hire above what is actually most important to the job, the Suzuki music school I'm on the board of is the same way and it ends up poorly almost every time. They LOVE to hire young graduates in MA in music performance teachers to teach pre-Twinkle, book 1 and book 2 students, then wonder why the teachers don't stick with the school very long. Too many music snobs are on the board, I've discovered. I need to get off this board asap. 😔

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

I graduate next month and want to go into a certain field. The positions all require 6 months of volunteer experience. I am still homeschooling DS so I have not been able to make it work yet. DH is home several days a week but does not keep DS on track when I am gone. Feeling pretty irritated about that.

Also my resume is embarrassing. I did the best I could tailoring homeschooling and other life experiences for the position but blah. I have no experience interviewing for a job and have not worked in 27 years. My imposter syndrome is in full force right now. 

Figure out what you've done, what skills are transferable, and enumerate those on your resume, giving yourself appropriate credit for everything you've done. You have the advantage of having current education to go with the skills -- don't sell yourself short!

I had this conversation on Monday with a recruiter. I said to her, "I know it's not the norm to talk about one's children, but the reason I was not in the workforce for X years was that I was homeschooling kids with learning disabilities. I worked but was not paid for it. I taught all their subjects, 15-18 subjects in a school year and was the head of school, combining the roles of teacher, administrator, and educational advocate. In this role, I also researched and compared educational philosophies, did curriculum design, did team building and negotiation with other homeschoolers and with the tutors and healthcare providers on our educational team, started a cooperative school, taught high school courses, and tutored other challenged students; all of those prepared me for what I'm doing now. Every one of those skills transferred to the adult work world." And she laughed, and said, "Well, mostly adult!" with wry grin, since we had just been talking about why there was a vacancy she was trying to fill, with a person who had acted childishly and been fired.  (I have this answer pretty well rehearsed, but it was the first time I've been asked about it. I think if you can answer the question of what you've been doing without a pained or defensive look, just a confident explanation, it should serve you well. 🙂 )

There are wonderful channels on Instagram regarding interviewing skills; the IG stories are short and to the point, and that makes them wonderful! Indeed also has great educational resources for job seekers. So many of them have helped me give better answers to interview questions!

Good luck!

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

Figure out what you've done, what skills are transferable, and enumerate those on your resume, giving yourself appropriate credit for everything you've done. You have the advantage of having current education to go with the skills -- don't sell yourself short!

I had this conversation on Monday with a recruiter. I said to her, "I know it's not the norm to talk about one's children, but the reason I was not in the workforce for X years was that I was homeschooling kids with learning disabilities. I worked but was not paid for it. I taught all their subjects, 15-18 subjects in a school year and was the head of school, combining the roles of teacher, administrator, and educational advocate. In this role, I also researched and compared educational philosophies, did curriculum design, did team building and negotiation with other homeschoolers and with the tutors and healthcare providers on our educational team, started a cooperative school, taught high school courses, and tutored other challenged students; all of those prepared me for what I'm doing now. Every one of those skills transferred to the adult work world." And she laughed, and said, "Well, mostly adult!" with wry grin, since we had just been talking about why there was a vacancy she was trying to fill, with a person who had acted childishly and been fired.  (I have this answer pretty well rehearsed, but it was the first time I've been asked about it. I think if you can answer the question of what you've been doing without a pained or defensive look, just a confident explanation, it should serve you well. 🙂 )

There are wonderful channels on Instagram regarding interviewing skills; the IG stories are short and to the point, and that makes them wonderful! Indeed also has great educational resources for job seekers. So many of them have helped me give better answers to interview questions!

Good luck!

This is so good! Thank you!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MEmama said:

Serves them right 😡. Maybe you dodged a bullet. 

My friend who is going to retire from the job says that they treat her as if she were another academic, which is nice (treated as 'one of them') but she couldn't persuade them that her job was administrative and that those were the skills they should look for.  I think there's a sense in which they think anyone bright can administer effectively, which is ... not true.  Oh well, onwards and upward.

7 hours ago, wintermom said:

That's a very natural reaction on your part. I really hope you get the position your most enjoy!! ☺️

On the topic of orgs who hire above what is actually most important to the job, the Suzuki music school I'm on the board of is the same way and it ends up poorly almost every time. They LOVE to hire young graduates in MA in music performance teachers to teach pre-Twinkle, book 1 and book 2 students, then wonder why the teachers don't stick with the school very long. Too many music snobs are on the board, I've discovered. I need to get off this board asap. 😔

Thanks! Yes - similar situation.

10 hours ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

I bet you have at least that much volunteer experience, but it's tied into your home education time.  This is what I wrote on a CV when I was first job searching after the kids went to school.  I would rewrite it now (I'm better at CVs these days, I hope) but it might give you an idea.  Good luck!

Home Educator: China and Scotland 2003 - 2010
- When there was no suitable local school, tutored both children myself, including day-to-day teaching,
worldwide research for the best products and curriculum planning;
- Organised spelling bees, sports days, book clubs and a cub scout den;
- Prepared both children for successful entry to school after we moved to Scotland.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2

I will need to go back through and read everything... I've been looking for a while. I am hoping to hear back on a position at the alternative school, but I'm losing hope as time passes because schools usually make offers pretty quickly. Otherwise, I am looking to leave education, and it's been a long, hard journey. I've come in second place a couple of times... As in the company says to me that they have an offer out to their first choice but letting me know if something falls through they will contact me. It is discouraging a lot of times.

• Sad 5

2 hours ago, LifeLovePassion said:

I will need to go back through and read everything... I've been looking for a while. I am hoping to hear back on a position at the alternative school, but I'm losing hope as time passes because schools usually make offers pretty quickly. Otherwise, I am looking to leave education, and it's been a long, hard journey. I've come in second place a couple of times... As in the company says to me that they have an offer out to their first choice but letting me know if something falls through they will contact me. It is discouraging a lot of times.

This is incredibly difficult...wishing you better luck, and a great position that values you.

• Like 3

I'm finishing my planned coursework that qualifies me to sit for the CPA exam this term. I should have final grades on my transcript in mid-May, and then I will apply for the accounting job I hope to remain in until I retire.

I think I'm a really good fit for the position. I've taken courses to update my skills. I have volunteer work and strong references from those experiences. But the fact that I'm in my 50's with a 20-year gap with no paid employment and hoping to switch fields makes me really nervous. I will be so disappointed if I am not offered a position. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Checking in with an update.  I've applied for two more jobs - one is a stretch (more of a writing job) but the other is bang in the middle of my experience but moving into the least hassle side of the range of tasks.  The closing dates are next week, so I won't hear anything about interviews for ten days to two weeks.

This weekend I will apply for one more job (also closing next week) - it's a four-day-a-week fixed contract for four years.  We just had two long weekends in a row and I'm wondering whether that is something I should be making a permanent part of my life at this stage.  I think I might need a bit of extra time to keep my head straight, go for long hikes, etc.  The only issue is that the contract would end when I am about to turn 64, which would be a tricky time to get rehired.  Lots to think about.  We could afford for me to stop working then, but it wouldn't be ideal.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Checking in with an update.  I've applied for two more jobs - one is a stretch (more of a writing job) but the other is bang in the middle of my experience but moving into the least hassle side of the range of tasks.  The closing dates are next week, so I won't hear anything about interviews for ten days to two weeks.

This weekend I will apply for one more job (also closing next week) - it's a four-day-a-week fixed contract for four years.  We just had two long weekends in a row and I'm wondering whether that is something I should be making a permanent part of my life at this stage.  I think I might need a bit of extra time to keep my head straight, go for long hikes, etc.  The only issue is that the contract would end when I am about to turn 64, which would be a tricky time to get rehired.  Lots to think about.  We could afford for me to stop working then, but it wouldn't be ideal.

All the best with your on-going job searches! I hear ya with wanting a 4-day work week. That would be fantastic! 

On the age issue, at what age does your national pension start, and is the amount based on particular criteria (e.g., % of last 5 years of salary). Maybe you can do some number crunching and see whether you'd be in a good place at age 64. If it's a job with the perfect fit and a good salary, it may be worth it. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

All the best with your on-going job searches! I hear ya with wanting a 4-day work week. That would be fantastic! 

On the age issue, at what age does your national pension start, and is the amount based on particular criteria (e.g., % of last 5 years of salary). Maybe you can do some number crunching and see whether you'd be in a good place at age 64. If it's a job with the perfect fit and a good salary, it may be worth it. 

Thanks! The UK state pension starts for my age cohort at age 67.  It's not based on salary - just on number of years of contributions.  The pension payment is a flat rate.  I will also get a small amount of US SS, but that is based on Husband's contributions, so will not change.  I have a small private pension with my employer - it used to be a final salary calculation, but they changed it to a career average calculation, so a few years of lower contributions wouldn't make a big difference. 

It's not so much the numbers, actually, but whether it will be good for me to be jobless at that stage.  I am lucky enough to be healthy at present, and thirty years of retirement (even including volunteering) might not be ideal for my personality type.  My employer keeps a 'casual contracts' register, however, and I am exactly the kind of person that they take on for things like maternity cover.  If I am prepared to be the 'idiot' in the office who doesn't know how that particular unit works for six months at a time (I'm not good at that).

I always work through a ton of scenarios when job searching, but in reality, I've never been offered more than one job at a time, so that makes my decision for me.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

Thanks! The UK state pension starts for my age cohort at age 67.  It's not based on salary - just on number of years of contributions.  The pension payment is a flat rate.  I will also get a small amount of US SS, but that is based on Husband's contributions, so will not change.  I have a small private pension with my employer - it used to be a final salary calculation, but they changed it to a career average calculation, so a few years of lower contributions wouldn't make a big difference. 

It's not so much the numbers, actually, but whether it will be good for me to be jobless at that stage.  I am lucky enough to be healthy at present, and thirty years of retirement (even including volunteering) might not be ideal for my personality type.  My employer keeps a 'casual contracts' register, however, and I am exactly the kind of person that they take on for things like maternity cover.  If I am prepared to be the 'idiot' in the office who doesn't know how that particular unit works for six months at a time (I'm not good at that).

I always work through a ton of scenarios when job searching, but in reality, I've never been offered more than one job at a time, so that makes my decision for me.

I know! So many things to factor in - particularly how bored will I be as a retired person😅  I'm enjoying working full-time, but I'd also be thrilled to not work in a couple years. Work gets in the way of my other projects. 😉 

• Haha 1

I haven't heard back about a second interview for the library position, so at this point, I am assuming that I won't get one. Anything is possible, however; perhaps they have a large volume of first interviews to get through. But I'm moving on in my thinking. I'm working on an application for a temporary bookseller position, which is not at my preferred bookstore but would get more recent experience onto my resume. And since it is temporary, it is low stakes, yet could get my foot in the door.

I'm spending an inordinate amount of time on the application for a temporary position. Not only is their online application time consuming, but I decided I needed to revamp my resume to highlight more of my bookstore experience. I had my bookstore management position on my resume but had left off other part-time bookstore jobs, because they were 25+ years ago. I'm working on a bookseller specific resume now that will include those. So now I will have a resume for library jobs and a separate resume for bookseller jobs.

I am not in a position of needing to work, financially, but there are reasons why I think it would be good for me to get a part-time job. If nothing works out, I will still be okay, so this job search is a preference but not a necessity for me. I am only applying for library or bookstore jobs, as I see them posted.

• Like 7

Last week, I got the courage to apply for a part-time clinic job. The hours aren't perfect (noon - 8.)  But if its only a couple days a week, I could deal with not being home for dinner.  And its close to home.  I haven't heard anything yet, but they said it might take a couple weeks.  

I updated my LinkedIn profile to help get noticed.  And I updated my Indeed profile.  Keeping an eye on things.  But this is a time when new grads are finishing up and may be getting offers from their clinical sites.  I see lots of jobs with a long commute, lots of vein clinic jobs, and 2nd/3rd shift jobs.  

I also applied to Varsity Tutors to tutor for ultrasound board exams.  I'm especially good at those.  That application took longer than any other app I've done (recorded video interview, plus I had to do a mock lesson.)  (I'm not a fan of this organization, but it is a niche market - not going to find a ton of clients on my own.)  

• Like 11

On a happy note, tomorrow I'll have an interview as a follow-up to a good first interview yesterday, this time with one of the C-level people who was unable to be at my interview yesterday.  I think I stand a good chance with this. It would be a pretty good match with a passion-driven organization, and teamwork seems to be good at the org.  It is a non-profit, so I'll need to see if they're willing to offset the lower payscale with some PTO flexibility and some comp time since their hours include after-hours events.

On another front, I'm the first choice candidate for another position, but when the hiring manager reported the compensation in a phone call to see if I was interested in a second interview, it was very, very low. (The manager didn't know how much it paid when I asked in the first interview, and I don't think he realizes how low it is.) I'll have a second interview with a higher up next week, and I'll see if it's negotiable. Sigh...that was a disappointment.

Ah, well. At least I have some prospects.

• Like 7

How are we all doing?  A little update here...

A clinic manager noticed my resume on indeed and contacted me for a phone interview.  I talked with her today and she forwarded my info to the hiring manager.  I have an in-person interview on Friday.  It is a full-time job, but they are 4 ten-hour shifts.  Since it is so much closer, my day will be about as long as my previous job with the long commute.  But I would have a day off in the middle of the week!!  

Also, I was accepted to Varsity Tutors for board exam prep.  It doesn't pay all that well, but it is a foot in the door for tutoring.  But their onboarding process is ridiculous.  I have so much paperwork to complete.  

• Like 11

38 minutes ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

How are we all doing?  A little update here...

A clinic manager noticed my resume on indeed and contacted me for a phone interview.  I talked with her today and she forwarded my info to the hiring manager.  I have an in-person interview on Friday.  It is a full-time job, but they are 4 ten-hour shifts.  Since it is so much closer, my day will be about as long as my previous job with the long commute.  But I would have a day off in the middle of the week!!  

Also, I was accepted to Varsity Tutors for board exam prep.  It doesn't pay all that well, but it is a foot in the door for tutoring.  But their onboarding process is ridiculous.  I have so much paperwork to complete.  

I'm so pleased to hear this and I hope this is the answer for you! I'm cheering for you from afar.

1) One of mine, the one I wanted, folded yesterday. I made a blunder in the second interview; it's too bad. 2) I have a second interview tomorrow at the other really low paying job; it's mine to lose. I'm sad about it already, because it's such a step down in income but it's the only prospect I've got, and I'm really tired of looking. It's also not a lateral move, it's a step back.  Uggh.

3) A recruiter called this morning, and she has an intriguing position. She's going to do what she can to get me an interview ASAP, maybe Friday.

• Like 9

I should update too. I was offered the alternative school job pending my license going through on July 1 (standard for my level of license). I only have a half day of work tomorrow and then will go up to the new school to do I'm not sure what, but I said I'd stop by. I'm teaching summer school from June 5-22 so it's coming up fast.

• Like 7

I put in the 4-day job application.  I had delayed because is might be more finance based than I am qualified for/ interested in. I can always enquire further if I am interviewed.

So now I have three live applications with my organisation.  I should hear next week about whether I am shortlisted. 

• Like 7

I've finished my final coursework and updated my resume.

Unfortunately, the position I have been working toward is no longer listed on the website. I was told it is a state policy to take positions down periodically, and it will pop back up before long as they always need people. I hope that is the case; it went down just as they would have finished an influx of young new college graduates. 

Since I'm in a holding pattern, I've scheduled some mock interview work with the career center at my school. I met with a career counselor last week, and I think he will be great to work with. On my own, I'm working on bettering some discreet skills that I know will apply to the position if I'm hired. 

Mostly, I'm seeing the upside of being able to spend time focusing on my graduating seniors before our family dynamic changes as they begin college.  If the position is still not listed in June, I will get more concerned and have to consider a different plan. 

• Like 5

I got a call today from one of the bookstores where I applied, and they set up a phone interview with me for tomorrow afternoon. This is a Barnes and Noble. They pay not much more than minimum wage, which stinks, but I'm not looking for work for the immediate money but to do something that I would enjoy. I would likely put my paycheck right into retirement savings. Since I make $0 now, it would be a raise!

She said they got so many applications that they pulled the job posting after two days (I thought they must have filled it and was surprised to receive the call). So, of course, there is no guarantee that they will offer it to me, even though I do have bookstore (management and bookseller) experience.

We live about halfway between two B&N stores, and the other store posted a part-time position today, so I applied there, too.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Storygirl said:

I got a call today from one of the bookstores where I applied, and they set up a phone interview with me for tomorrow afternoon. This is a Barnes and Noble. They pay not much more than minimum wage, which stinks, but I'm not looking for work for the immediate money but to do something that I would enjoy. I would likely put my paycheck right into retirement savings. Since I make $0 now, it would be a raise!

She said they got so many applications that they pulled the job posting after two days (I thought they must have filled it and was surprised to receive the call). So, of course, there is no guarantee that they will offer it to me, even though I do have bookstore (management and bookseller) experience.

We live about halfway between two B&N stores, and the other store posted a part-time position today, so I applied there, too.

I'm sure that put you in the group that got called! Good luck!

• Like 2

I had an in-person interview on Friday for the 4 ten-hour days vascular job.  I talked with 3 people and feel like I knocked that part out of the park.  But they wanted me to scan someone in their office.  The machine was one I used before but not much for vascular.  Its an older machine that is past is expected life-span, but it's still a workhorse.  I think I did just OK on that part, not excellent.  Then I talked with one more person who gave me more information on what the job entails.  I'd be working by myself and responsible for a really packed schedule some days with the potential for add-on appointments.  And I'd have the additional responsibility of writing up the preliminary doctor's report for the doc to review rather than just my tech impression.  That part scares the crap out of me.  Maybe if I had another couple of years experience, I'd feel more comfortable with that, but not now.  I won't hear back for 2 more weeks.

I have an interview with a cardiology office that is part-time.  But the commute is longer.  And some of the reviews on Indeed for this practice give me pause.  I'd have to feel this place out.  I'm not super excited about this job, but more scanning interviews can help keep my skills fresh.  

I found out that a position that I passed on back in November is open.  The commute isn't great, but it isn't terrible either.  The department was brand new at the time and I would not even get to meet the person who was going to be my boss because she was just hired.  So, I took the other job.  I will apply for that one and see if now that they have had 6 months to get things settled, the job description will be more defined.  

Just trying to keep plugging and not lose confidence.  

• Like 11