Menu

Gift idea needed.

LucyStoner

I have a dear friend who is going through a scary time with cancer.  Major surgery followed by chemo.  She’s waiting on her follow up scan. This is the third time she’s had cancer and it’s a new type for her.  She’s in her 50s, single mom of one young adult child.  I talked to her for a long time tonight and it’s clear she’s really struggling.  She doesn’t have the biggest support system- very little family + she works a lot so not a lot of time for friends and other relationships.  She works a lot of hours but work is her happy place and as a single mom with tuition to pay, the extra money doesn’t hurt.  Because she works so much + her general personality, some of my go to gifts for this situation don’t work.  For instance, she’s not going to want to go to a spa and she doesn’t have much in the way of free time.  She lives in a small space which is very neat and tidy so cleaning service isn’t as much help as you’d think.  I sense that she wouldn’t want someone she doesn’t know cleaning anything in her apartment.  

I want to get her a gift that will communicate that we are here for her and isn’t generic.  

I appreciate any ideas.  Thanks!  

I think a really nice, soft blanket would be good. My sister bought me a nice blanket ten years ago and I am sitting in it on the couch right now. I usually buy the cheapest of things and so nothing lasts. But this is obviously expensive and looks good left on the couch. A soft one you could wrap around yourself would be comforting and remind you that someone cares. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, bookbard said:

I think a really nice, soft blanket would be good. My sister bought me a nice blanket ten years ago and I am sitting in it on the couch right now. I usually buy the cheapest of things and so nothing lasts. But this is obviously expensive and looks good left on the couch. A soft one you could wrap around yourself would be comforting and remind you that someone cares. 

18 minutes ago, EmilyGF said:

What about a meal subscription for a few weeks? If she has very little time and very little support network, would that help give her a bit more leisure time?

Emily

I vote for both of these ideas.  One is emotional, one is practical. 

• Like 2

We gave my SIL a very soft fleece hat from Lands' End to keep her head warm when her hair fell out.  She wore that hat for years until she died.  I've heard that they are not made as soft as they used to be and I've heard that some people are very particular about what they want to wear though.  I got a gift certificate for a friend a few years ago for a place that makes hats specifically for chemo patients and she said she found one she really liked.

• Like 2