Menu

March Healthy Eating

Selkie

3 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

I just want Selkie to come to my house and bring me one of her breakfast bowls with all the things in it. 

Move to my neighborhood and I will be at your door with breakfast in tow every morning!😃

I would be thrilled to have a plant based neighbor, cuz I live in the land of “sidemeat”. That’s the local breakfast delicacy served at the bars here. It’s a mystery meat and no one is sure of the origin!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Eos said:

I've thought about doing a homeschool science experiment of re-creating one week's worth of her breakfast bowls.  It would take some prep...I don't eat much fruit in the winter so I'd wait til summer to attempt.

Be sure to have the big bowl of greens with it, because the combo is amazing. It makes your cells sing (dh and I always say that jokingly, but it’s true!).

• Like 7

Saturday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with Dominican red beans, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, kiwi, banana, guava, apple, blueberries, pomegranate, fig, apricot, cherries, barberries, pineapple, Galia melon, lemon and lime zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, baby turnips, mushrooms, radishes, tomato, carrots, beets, zucchini, edamame, a few leftover mushroom raviolis, cashew ranch.

Dinner - Two kinds of flatbread pizzas. One was Thai (recipe from Toni Okamoto of Plant Based on a Budget). I tweaked it a tiny bit to make it WFPB. It had a peanut/ginger/garlic/coconut milk sauce and was topped with red onions, tofu, julienned carrots, jalapenos, and pineapple. This was so delicious!

The second kind had tomato sauce, onions, mushrooms, grilled peppers, artichoke hearts, and green olives. Also very good.

• Like 6

Saturday 

breakfast- keto blueberry cinnamon crunch granola with coconut yogurt 

lunch-  scrambled eggs with onions, mixed greens; 1/2 flaxseed muffin, two squares of chocolate with dried cranberries 

dinner- leftovers of khatti gosht (not sure if I spelled that right)- lamb, onions, green peppers in a tomato tsmarind sauce if I am seeing what’s in here correctly.  Had it with brown short grain rice that I like better than what they served with it.  Toned down the heat with plain coconut yogurt  

two eggs before bedtime

• Like 6

Saturday 

So much tea. Still coughing. Third covid test was negative so it’s something else and it sure is persistent.

Breakfast—scrambled eggs and an orange

Lunch—street tacos on cassava or corn tortillas with leftover spiced chicken and purple coke slaw. Also an orange.

Snack—df yogurt with a sprinkle of low-sugar granola

Dinner—sloppy joes on gf biscuits, baked oven fries

• Like 6

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with soybeans, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, longans, pineapple, Galia melon, cantaloupe, kiwi, guava, apple, banana, blueberries, blackberries, pomegranate, sour cherries, fig, apricot, lemon and orange zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens, two pieces of leftover flatbread pizza, and a Cara Cara orange.

Dinner - Spring mix with garden dill mustard seed balsamic vinegar. A bowl of leftover soup from the freezer (split pea/barley/veggie). Steamed veggies (asparagus, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower). Galia melon.

• Like 6

Sunday

Breakfast: Dr. Fuhrman's hot oatmeal smoothie. This may be a new favorite!

Lunch: Subway Veggie Delight. We had to be out and about after church, which I was not anticipating, and I had no time to eat before work, so that was my best option.

Dinner: black beans and rice, pistacios, deglet nour dates

• Like 6

Sunday 

lunch-  half a serving of scrambled eggs with onions, green peppers, cheese, sausage; grapes, honeydew melon, cantaloupe 

dinner- other half a serving of scrambled eggs with onions, green peppers, cheese, sausage;  1/2 flaxseed muffin with peanut butter  

two eggs before bedtime

• Like 6

I am behind again. It was a crazy weekend.

Saturday - coffee and salad was it until 6 pm, and then we had a seafood dinner with our son and daughter in law and the grandmothers. Salmon, crab legs, Cole slaw, baked potato, green beans.

Sunday - Coffee, taco salad for lunch, nothing for dinner.  I felt too full and kind of bloated.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Toocrazy!! said:

@Selkiei agree! Your bowls sound amazing. Can you take a pic of one? I can’t really even imagine what they look like or how you prep all those different foods.

I think I’ve posted a few different pics recently. Let me know if you didn’t find them - I’m always happy to take more!

The prep isn’t bad. It probably takes me about 15-20 minutes to assemble breakfast for both me and dh. We feel so good eating this way that I don’t mind a few minutes of chopping every morning.🙂

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Monday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with cranberry beans, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, longans, banana, kiwi, guava, apple, pear, blueberries, blackberries, pomegranate, fig, apricot, sour cherries, canary melon, pineapple, lemon and lime zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Whole grain pita pocket with hummus, quinoa, edamame, radishes, tomato, mushrooms, red onion. A blood orange.

Dinner - Summer rolls (rice paper wrappers with brown rice noodles, tofu, avocado, carrot, beet, daikon radish, red onion, shredded collard greens and red cabbage) with peanut dipping sauce.

Dessert - Vanilla macadamia banana nice cream with cacao nib sprinkles.

• Like 6

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - A lemon G-BOMBS bar while running errands. Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with pigeon peas, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, pineapple, Galia melon, kiwi, barberries, sour cherries, fig, apricot, apple, pear, banana, guava, longans, blueberries, pomegranate, lemon and orange zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Hummus with veggies (carrots, daikon radish, red bell pepper, edamame, romanesco). A SuperFood Well Bean bar (sample of a new flavor that they sent me).

Dinner - An artichoke and leftover summer rolls.

• Like 6

I am behind again. The moms have had me hopping for several days.

Monday:

Breakfast - Java and a slice of toast

Lunch - some fresh veggies and a Clementine

Dinner - roasted chicken thigh with roasted red pepper and green beans, saffron rice

Tuesday:

Java only at breakfast

GF pasta with homemade marinara, some parmesan, salad

Two boiled eggs, a celery stick, and a rice cake

• Like 6

Tuesday

Breakfast: smoothie with banana, sun butter, almond milk, cacao powder, a date, and hemp seeds; coffee with a tablespoon of canned coconut milk

Lunch: enormous salad

Dinner: soup with kale, collards, mushrooms and canellini beans; dates; dandy blend

• Like 5

I am just now catching up on this thread. Have missed it so much, but - Our spring break beach vacation turned in to a health nightmare for me and - here we are, two weeks later. I haven’t been eating very much, though - thankfully! - I haven’t fallen off the wagon, deep in to comfort foods. I have been very dependent on the DH doing the grocery shopping right now. He did surprise me the other day and brought home some fresh mangoes. (He said he googled how to select mangoes. LOL)

selkie - 16 pounds of guava! Super jealous. What a lovely gift. I did buy another tropical guava shrub/tree to add to my food forest while we were on vacation so maybe some year I can harvest 16 pounds! I tried dried goldenberries recently because of your breakfast bowls and am now hooked on them. Yum! I got my DHA labs back while we were on vacation. I was really low in several different things, but I haven’t had the energy to delve deeper in to the results yet. 

• Like 4

I am one again trapped with very sweet feline curled up on my lap on a rainy day here in Los Angeles. Putting "rainy day" and "Los Angeles" in the same sentence feels a little strange to this native-Angeleno, but this has been an unusual year.

And just as I typed that, the sun broke out.

Have managed to do "brown" (thank goodness).

Had to call my son, who is home from college (but outside shouting distance) using my internet phone (as the mobile is out of reach) to have him rinse my Lupini beans.

These Lupini beans are fascinating me. To say they start out "bitter" is a bit of an understatement. They need to the soaked, then cooked, then soaked and drained (at least daily) for at least a week, but can be longer, to remove the bitterness. I've been at least a week into this process. Once no longer bitter, most brine/pickle, and then people often season with olive oil, herbs, etc.

Why go to all the hassle? While I have not yet consumed a fully cured Lupini bean, I can see what's coming. Deliciousness! And, IMS, Lupini beans have the highest nutritional profile of all beans, save Soybeans.

Pretty sure these will be quite a treat.

They look like this (internet photo) prior to being seasoned:

image.png.375e89f627741cc42fe7522152649bc6.png

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 4

So behind on reporting in. My niece is visiting this week, so we've been busy-busy-busy.

Tuesday

Breakfast--apple, gf df muffin, gf df protein bar

Lunch--leftover sloppy joe on top of oven fries, orange

Dinner--Taught niece how to make chicken adobo and pancit, also accompanied with rice and pickled cukes/tomatoes

Wednesday

Breakfast--eggs flavored with just a little bacon

Lunch--leftover sloppy joe on top of oven fries, banana

Dinner--chicken adobo with rice, pancit, pickled cukes/tomatoes

Also enjoyed coffee with almond milk at the zoo and a scoop of df ice cream. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, GoVanGogh said:

I am just now catching up on this thread. Have missed it so much, but - Our spring break beach vacation turned in to a health nightmare for me and - here we are, two weeks later. I haven’t been eating very much, though - thankfully! - I haven’t fallen off the wagon, deep in to comfort foods. I have been very dependent on the DH doing the grocery shopping right now. He did surprise me the other day and brought home some fresh mangoes. (He said he googled how to select mangoes. LOL)

selkie - 16 pounds of guava! Super jealous. What a lovely gift. I did buy another tropical guava shrub/tree to add to my food forest while we were on vacation so maybe some year I can harvest 16 pounds! I tried dried goldenberries recently because of your breakfast bowls and am now hooked on them. Yum! I got my DHA labs back while we were on vacation. I was really low in several different things, but I haven’t had the energy to delve deeper in to the results yet. 

I’m really sorry about your health problem, and that your vacation was ruined. I hope it all turns out okay!

Believe it or not, we just got another big box of guava. I was positively giddy when I opened the box! It’s funny to think that I spent the first few decades of my life thinking I didn’t care for fruit very much, and now my absolute favorite foods are fruit - guava, pomegranates, Sumo oranges…it is amazing how my tastebuds changed so completely when I started eating for health.

Goldenberries are addictive, aren’t they? We love them both fresh and dried.

Keep us updated on your health situation. I am sending many well wishes your way!

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Spy Car said:

I am one again trapped with very sweet feline curled up on my lap on a rainy day here in Los Angeles. Putting "rainy day" and "Los Angeles" in the same sentence feels a little strange to this native-Angeleno, but this has been an unusual year.

And just as I typed that, the sun broke out.

Have managed to do "brown" (thank goodness).

Had to call my son, who is home from college (but outside shouting distance) using my internet phone (as the mobile is out of reach) to have him rinse my Lupini beans.

These Lupini beans are fascinating me. To say they start out "bitter" is a bit of an understatement. They need to the soaked, then cooked, then soaked and drained (at least daily) for at least a week, but can be longer, to remove the bitterness. I've been at least a week into this process. Once no longer bitter, most brine/pickle, and then people often season with olive oil, herbs, etc.

Why go to all the hassle? While I have not yet consumed a fully cured Lupini bean, I can see what's coming. Deliciousness! And, IMS, Lupini beans have the highest nutritional profile of all beans, save Soybeans.

Pretty sure these will be quite a treat.

They look like this (internet photo) prior to being seasoned:

image.png.375e89f627741cc42fe7522152649bc6.png

Bill

Be sure to let us know how they turn out. The bitterness of the lupinis I tasted was beyond any bitterness I’ve ever experienced before. I wasn’t expecting it, and momentarily had the thought that someone was trying to poison me!😅

• Like 4

Wednesday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with adzuki beans, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, guava, kiwi, pineapple, longans, Galia melon, blueberries, pomegranate, banana, apple, pear, fig, apricot, sour cherries, barberries, mango, lemon and lime zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens and leftover summer rolls.

Dinner - An artichoke, a bowl of split pea/barley/veggie soup, steamed veggies (asparagus, carrot, broccoli, cauliflower). Galia melon.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, GoVanGogh said:

SpyCar, Super fascinating about the lupini beans. I an anxious to hear how your beans end up tasting. I bought some lupini flour earlier this year, but have yet to use it. I am hoping to get in to making no knead gluten free breads. 

I tried one today. Still not completely ready yet, but getting close. These really are fiercely bitter to start with.

But they have a nuttiness to them that is apparent already. With oil and rosemary and thyme from my garden, these should be quite a treat.

I wonder how they make the Lupini flour not be bitter? I believe I read that there are small Lupini beans that don't have the bitterness. Perhaps that's the solution? People seem to prefer the big bitter ones (once cured) as snacks.

I will update once they are really done.

Bill

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Be sure to let us know how they turn out. The bitterness of the lupinis I tasted was beyond any bitterness I’ve ever experienced before. I wasn’t expecting it, and momentarily had the thought that someone was trying to poison me!😅

Yes, the bitterness is rather extreme. I tested the toothiness of a bean to see if I'd cooked it sufficiently, but did not eat it, and for hours the bitterness lingered. No joke.

And I think they are somewhat toxic when bitter. So...

Remind me why I'm making these again  :tongue:

Bill

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I can't remember when I posted but I am continuing to improve my eating.

I'm working my way through Fiber Fueled. I'm considering starting the plan April 4th but I need to finish reading it and think it through.

I finished my greek yogurt and bought some coconut yogurt to try.

For lunch this week I've been having baked tofu and a stir fry of baby bok choy and other mixed greens (kale, bok choy, brussel sprouts - not sure what else I bought it chopped)

Dinner tonight the family is doing sub sandwiches. I might just do egg, veggies and turkey sausage. 

• Like 5

Re: turmeric Anyone growing turmeric? Or edible gingers? I planted some last year for the first time but am hoping to expand beyond the basic ones. I planted blue turmeric late last year. I need to see if survived my overwintering attempt. And I have Thai Galangal sitting in the kitchen that I need to get potted up and outside. I am wanting to grow more of the superfoods and brightly colorful foods. 

Selkie! More guava! So yum. I grew up in the rural Midwest in the ‘60s and ‘70s. The only fruit we had was apples and maybe a few oranges around Christmas. My great aunt and uncle lived in Arizona and would ship my great grandparents and grandparents a box of grapefruit at Christmas. It was a real treat to get to eat a grapefruit. (My mother hated them so refused to buy anything like that.) The neighborhood kids knew where to pick and eat wild mulberries. And my aunt and uncle would pick wild plums along the country roads they lived on and those were also a big treat. I don’t think I was exposed to much beyond those few fruits as a kid. Certainly not apricots or dragonfruit or even blueberries. And all vegetables were cooked beyond recognition! 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Thursday

Breakfast--one oat bran muffin and a banana on the way to work out

Lunch--pancit, also rice with lamb curry, raspberries

Snack--Niece and dh made some macarons, so I enjoyed a few. With yesterday's ice cream indulgence, that's enough for a while. 

Dinner--more rice and lamb curry and raspberries

• Like 5

Thursday - 

Breakfast - A lemon poppyseed WellBean bar while running errands. Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with beluga lentils, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, longans, blueberries, blackberries, pomegranate, guava, kiwi, banana, apple, pear, fig, apricot, sour cherries, barberries, pineapple, Galia melon, lemon and orange zest, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, tofu, beets, carrots, tomato, pistachios, sesame seeds, garlic, daikon radish, bell pepper, Greek vinaigrette.

Dinner - A WFPB veggie burger from Nutcase Vegan, steamed broccoli and oven fries.

• Like 5

Thursday 

lunch-  scrambled eggs with onions, mixed greens; 1/2 flaxseed muffin; two squares of dark chocolate 

dinner was at IHop after 7 PM because Dh couldn’t eat until after some medical tests were done.  I had eggs and bacon and half of a “gluten friendly “ waffle which was kind of dry  

• Like 4

On 3/29/2023 at 1:58 PM, Spy Car said:

They need to the soaked, then cooked, then soaked and drained (at least daily) for at least a week, but can be longer, to remove the bitterness.

This is like making acorn flour.  Collect the acorns, sort out the ones with tiny holes, then let them sit for a year in the shells before starting the effort to shell them.  Once shelled, you grind into flour then soak the flour for about a week, changing the water every day to get out the bitterness as flour offers much more surface area to leach from.  I once tried soaking chunks of acorns rather than flour and they were so bitter my face almost came off after eating one.  But properly soaked then dried, the flour is delicious and fatty.

I do love marinated Lupinis, and never knew how much effort went into them.

Edited by Eos
  • Like 4

This week's food is a blur of busyness in support of dd and it all comes to an end tomorrow.

No foods sound good to me right now.  I've been eating a ton of veggies, some meat, and some grains but I'm just feeling kind of icky without actually being sick.  I need April to be a bit different in some way but unsure how.  Maybe I'll try some juicing, Kela's carrot/ginger sounds appealing.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Eos said:

This week's food is a blur of busyness in support of dd and it all comes to an end tomorrow.

No foods sound good to me right now.  I've been eating a ton of veggies, some meat, and some grains but I'm just feeling kind of icky without actually being sick.  I need April to be a bit different in some way but unsure how.  Maybe I'll try some juicing, Kela's carrot/ginger sounds appealing.

When I used to juice I loved lemon, carrot, kale and ginger. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Soror said:

When I used to juice I loved lemon, carrot, kale and ginger. 

Wow, that sounds perfect.  I will round up the juicer parts and ingredients.  Along with my whiskey sour ingredients from the other thread 🙂 

Edited by Eos
  • Like 2

I love fresh juice. Will be juicing as soon as I wake up more. I will do an orange/carrot/turmeric/bit of ginger one and a kale/spinach/celery/lemon/ginger one.

I am finally starting to feel human after two weeks of being down with some mutant unknown thing. DH asked if I wanted to go out for supper to celebrate and suggested my fav Mexican food place. I got their vegan salad - lots of greens, roasted chili peppers, grated carrots, roasted corn, black beans and avocado. I order with extra avocado and use their salsa as a dressing. It hit the spot. I had been making green smoothies over the past two weeks, but I hadn’t been up to eating a salad and really missed them. 

Super tonight will be leftover vegan mushroom soup that I made a few days ago, along with a salad. I am pulling some of the greens from my winter garden, to make room for summer veggies. Yesterday, I puttered around in my “driveway food garden” and harvested a large bowl of kale for meals today. 

Re: Driveway food garden: We needed to replace our driveway several years ago and the city wouldn’t let us do a non-concrete, more environmentally friendly option. We don’t use our garage for vehicles and - at most - only have three vehicles in a large driveway. I decided last year to expand my food production to the area a fourth vehicle would park. I had a number of larger containers from 20+ years of gardening, then went to an auction and scored a truck load of very large containers for around $30. I have citrus and tropical guavas, a few smaller fig trees, two olive trees, additional peppers and cherry tomatoes, additional herbs, etc. I have fava beans going in one large container, first time I have grown them from seed. (I like to eat them fresh/raw..) Next fall, I will put in a full bed of fava beans, as this fall/winter  was a test of how they would do here. When we were on vacation three weeks ago, I bought two varieties of starfruit, which still need potted up. (Need to find two more affordable large containers!) Our driveway is visible from the front of the house, so I try to keep the area tidy and “arranged” so it doesn’t just look a mess. Our house sits down from the street and we are in a quiet cul de sac, so it isn’t glaringly obvious that I have 100 or so containers. LOL On the plus, when I water the containers, run off does channel around to the side garden.(No Home Owners Association) 

Edited by GoVanGogh
  • Like 6

@GoVanGogh the garden sounds really neat. You reminded me that I used to use celery in my juice as well. Turmeric is a great addition, that wasn't readily available locally when I was juicing.

@Eos good luck on the juicing 🙂 Fwiw I liked to go easy on the carrot as I found it too sweet. I found the lemon was good to balance the flavors. 

I'm trying to up my variety for gut health although I'm still far from @Selkie. I've not even heard of many of those fruits or seen them locally!

Another greek coconut yogurt bowl this morning w/ bartlett pear, mango, strawberries, blueberries, pepitas, unsweet coconut, gf oats, hemp seeds, flax, and cocoa nibs  (I really need to make a mix again it would save me a lot of time and makes it easier to get a wider variety)

And I did a side bowl with mixed greens - spinach, green leaf, mizuna, crisp, tango, oak leaf, chard, arugula, frisee, read leaf, lolla rosa, radicchio, butter and kale 

I think I'll have to do a smoothie for lunch as I have client visits right at lunch time. I'll have a pinto bean tostado when I get home. 

I think we're doing baked fish and potato+ sweet potatoes for dinner w/ kimchi.

Not sure what else.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Eos said:

This is like making acorn flour.  Collect the acorns, sort out the ones with tiny holes, then let them sit for a year in the shells before starting the effort to shell them.  Once shelled, you grind into flour then soak the flour to get out the bitterness as flour offers much more surface area to leach from.  I once tried soaking chunks of acorns rather than flour and they were so bitter my face almost came off after eating one.  But properly soaked then dried, the flour is delicious and fatty.

I do love marinated Lupinis, and never knew how much effort went into them.

We are blessed to have a fair number of oak trees on our property. And they produce copious amounts of acorns.

Shame on me for not diverting some from the squirrel-feeding  resources to feeding the family. Hmm. 

Bill

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Friday - 

Today was a wild weather day. I spent the morning getting my horses ready for severe weather, my afternoon glued to the computer because there was a tornado where two of my kids live (they’re fine, whew!), and my evening hunkered down in the basement with dh and all our dogs and cats while we waited for the storm to pass us by. All is well now, and we managed to eat lots of good food despite the hectic day.

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with French lentils, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, passion fruit, dragon fruit, blueberries, blackberries, pineapple, Galia melon, pomegranate, kiwi, banana, guava, longans, sour cherries, fig, apricot, barberries, lemon and lime zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. A black bean burger (from Tracy’s Real Foods) and oven fries.

Dinner - Roasted vegetable tacos (zucchini, red and yellow bell pepper, corn, shiitake and oyster mushrooms) with crispy tofu, avocado, scallions, shredded red cabbage, salsa, cilantro.

• Like 4