Menu

March Healthy Eating

Selkie

March unhealthy eating:

Pi Day report.

Not good.

Enough java to cause an Aztec war for the beans.

Salad for lunch which would have been okay were it not for the pepperoni and luxurious cheese I put on it being of low mental energy after completely messing up a pair of baby overalls and had to rip out two seams.  So ya.

Adding insult to injury and sending me here for confession, a supper of huge hamburgers (Mark's fault, he had a beef craving and cooked them over a wood fire outside so totally NOT my problem, right?), with mushrooms and swiss, a small salad which really doesn't make it better, and a huge piece of chocolate pie because it is pie day.

So total, utter fail. But it tasted good!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with soybeans, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, pineapple, kiwi, guava, apple, pear, pomegranate, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, fig, sour cherries, mango, lemon and orange zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, banana, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Whole grain pita with hummus, quinoa, beets, garlic, carrots, radishes, tomato, sesame seeds. A blood orange and a walnut chocolate chip WellBean bar.

Dinner - The same Thai chopped salad as last night, with a few more veggies added - roasted baby potatoes and Jerusalem artichokes, an assortment of beautiful spring radishes, and some teeny tiny baby cucumbers with the flowers still attached.

Dessert - Galia melon.

• Like 5

Tuesday

Breakfast—2 gf pumpkin muffins and 2 bananas 

Lunch—stirfry of beef, onion, red pepper, rice

Snack—dark chocolate and a handful of mixed nuts; rooibos tea (NS)

Dinner—Homemade Panera knockoff: quinoa, tomato, cucumber, lettuce, chicken, hummus, pickled red onions, homemade lemon-tahini dressing 

• Like 5

Tuesday

Breakfast: smoothie with almond milk, frozen strawberries, protein powder banana, spinach

Lunch: balela salad over greens with a sprinkling of feta, pineapple

Dinner: A recipe called Healing Brocolli Soup. It is really amazing. Wonderfully healthy and my kids love it. Mandarin orange.

• Like 5

Wednesday -

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens (added a few new additions to the mix - kohlrabi greens and fennel fronds). Breakfast bowl with Rio Zape beans, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, blueberries, pomegranate, pineapple, kiwi, guava, apple, pear, banana, fig, cherries, lemon and orange zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Whole grain pita with hummus, eggplant, beets, carrot, edamame, scallions, jalapeños, garlic, sesame seeds, mixed greens. A Cara Cara orange.

Dinner - Black bean tortillas (awesome tortilla recipe from Powerhungry.com), tofu, mashed potatoes, garlic, onions, jalapenos, cashew sour cream, guacamole, mixed greens, cilantro, salsa.

Dessert - Galia melon.

• Like 5

Today we tortured and ultimately savaged a not insignificant amount of coffee beans from the episode of Starbucks.

A boiled egg a piece for breakfast.

Lunch - large salad and homemade bruchetta

Dinner - large, grilled portabella sandwiches (ports rubbed with vegan butter and herbs, tossed under the broiler on low, Swiss cheese, red pepper also roasted, ranch dressing, toasted buns), mashed potatoes with vegan butter and chives, green beans.

• Like 6

When I don't check in with the thread I don't remember what I ate.  I think yesterday was kale, egg, smoked salmon and avocado for breakfast, leftover chili for lunch, and mussels and salad for dinner.  I'm doing ok with the low-salt, low-oil, no snacking but seconds is still a thing.  I fill my plates with veggies, though, and justify it that way 🙂 

• Like 6

Thursday - 

Breakfast - A walnut chocolate chip WellBean bar while running errands early. Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with pigeon peas, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, banana, kiwi, guava, apple, pear, pomegranate, blueberries, fig, sour cherries, passion fruit, dragon fruit, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, Galia melon, walnuts, flax, chia , hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - The last bit of the leftover Thai chopped salad with soba noodles. A Cara Cara orange.

Dinner - Another “clean out the fridge” meal. Black bean tortillas with leftover taco fixings - mashed potatoes, onion, garlic, cashew sour cream, guacamole, mixed greens, cilantro - plus the last little bit of soba noodles and some edamame.

Dessert - Pumpkin pie banana nice cream with chopped pecans and cacao nibs.

• Like 6

Thursday 

breakfast- keto blueberry cinnamon crunch granola with coconut yogurt 

lunch-  scrambled eggs with onions, mixed greens; 1/2 flaxseed muffin, two squares of chocolate 

dinner- bbq chicken casserole (shredded chicken, onions, butternut squash, bbq sauce); broccoli crunch salad (broccoli pieces, cauliflower, red cabbage and carrots, sunflower seeds, tangy dried cranberries, smoky bacon bits,coleslaw dressing)

two eggs before bedtime

• Like 6

Today we made sacrifices to the coffee gods, and no, we didn't make sacrifices of ourselves. Like all nobility we sought out innocents to send to their doom or in this case, some caramel smelling beans procured from a speciality shop.

Breakfast - we each ate a biscuit with a fried egg on top. (Fried in just a little sunflower oil so not too unhealthy).

Lunch - homemade tomato basil soup, large bowls. Salads, and a grilled garlic toast for each of us to dip in the soup, something we love to do.

Dinner - hot and sour soup with tofu, more salads, rice, and topped the soup with green onion

We each ate two cups of popcorn tonight while watching a movie.

• Like 6

I've tracked my food since Tuesday.

I ate a bit much the last 2 days according to their figures but then again such things nearly always figure my needs too low. I also know what you eat is more important and individual physiology and plays a huge part in how much you need/burn. 

I had some cauliflower pizza last night but a smaller serving size. I also had a smaller serving of greek yogurt this morning - 1/3 a cup.  Still working on decreasing my dairy intake. I don't eat a lot compared to many but I'm trying to get it back down to zero. Breakfast greek yogurt and occasional pizza will be the hardest I think.

b: 1/3 cup greek yogurt/ mangos/ strawberries/raspberries/raisins/gf rolled oats/ hemp seeds/ground flax/cocoa nibs/ soy milk

l: lentil curry w/ coconut milk, zucchini, carrots, spinach, ginger, garlic, and onion + jasmine rice

s: ? have a meeting and don't know how long it will be might pack a green smoothie

d: baked pollock and baked sweet pot+ pot fries  + salad ( I picked up a couple of mixes on sale yesterday) 

• Like 6

My bowl of breakfast greens was especially pretty today, so I had to snap a pic!

Friday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and micro greens. Breakfast bowl with Moro beans, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, longans, banana, blueberries, guava, kiwi, apple, pear, fig, sour cherries, passion fruit, Galia melon, lemon and orange zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Whole grain pita with hummus, tofu, quinoa, eggplant, tomato, cucumber, carrot, garlic, zucchini, sesame seeds, sauerkraut.

Dinner - Italian chopped salad with mixed greens, farro, herb & garlic roasted white beans, mushrooms, golden beets, tomato, scallions, artichoke hearts, grilled peppers, pepperoncini, olives. Found a great recipe for creamy oil-free Italian dressing on No Sweat Vegan.

27114C23-7635-4B85-B121-7E7C0515BC6A.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Friday

Breakfast: banana, grapes, mandarin oranges

Lunch: corned beef and cabbage. My 8 yo made and decorated a cake all by herself today, so you better believe I had a huge slice!

Dinner: A half serving of Dr. Fuhrman's Thai vegetable curry without rice. I believe I'm noticing a trend of being really uncomfortable full whenever I eat any kind of bread products outside of maybe Ezekiel bread. Or, may be just a coincidence.

• Like 7

Friday 

lunch-  scrambled eggs with onions, mixed greens; 1/2 flaxseed muffin, two squares of chocolate 

dinner- burger with Tillamook cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, sauce, gf bun; salad with mixed greens, onions, cucumbers, tomatoes, honey mustard dressing 

two eggs before bedtime

• Like 6

Friday

Breakfast--veg omelette and tea (NS)

Lunch--one gf cassava tortilla with chicken, lettuce, onions, hummus; also an orange and a dark chocolate-coconut blob (low sugar and gf yet feels luxurious)

Snack--Believe it or not, Turkish Delight. I was shopping for Easter basket things for various kids and young adults and there was rose-flavored Turkish Delight. Immediately I thought of Edmund and the White Witch's enchanted Turkish Delight. I was so intrigued by the rose flavor--Americans don't typically do floral flavors, but I've been experimenting a bit over the years with these flavors. I bought some intending to simply taste, and I ended up eating a few more than planned. Normally non-chocolate candy is really no temptation to me. Counting this as a silly adventure, and I'm comfortable knowing that my portion sizes for everything else today were on the small side and within the limits I've set for myself. 

Dinner--gf pancakes and fresh, no-sugar breakfast sausage. Also plain strawberries. 

• Like 7

Friday report: 

The usual silencing of Java protesting beans

Breakfast: None, we both woke up with headaches, mine from sinuses run amok, and him from sleeping like a pretzel with the dog and having a kink in his neck. Just not hungry.

Lunch: Baked potatoes with Greek yogurt and chives, broccoli salad, Clementine oranges

Dinner: Big pot of Mexican rice and beans, and then a pan of fajita veggies. I made a crockpot full, and we will eat on the leftovers today. Much later in the evening we were still.up watching a movie, and made a small amount of popcorn which we sprinkled with parmesan and it was nice.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Selkie said:

My bowl of breakfast greens was especially pretty today, so I had to snap a pic!

Friday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and micro greens. Breakfast bowl with Moro beans, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, longans, banana, blueberries, guava, kiwi, apple, pear, fig, sour cherries, passion fruit, Galia melon, lemon and orange zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Whole grain pita with hummus, tofu, quinoa, eggplant, tomato, cucumber, carrot, garlic, zucchini, sesame seeds, sauerkraut.

Dinner - Italian chopped salad with mixed greens, farro, herb & garlic roasted white beans, mushrooms, golden beets, tomato, scallions, artichoke hearts, grilled peppers, pepperoncini, olives. Found a great recipe for creamy oil-free Italian dressing on No Sweat Vegan.

27114C23-7635-4B85-B121-7E7C0515BC6A.jpeg

Beautiful! Are those pea sprouts on top? I have never grown them for salads, but am considering it. I love bean sprouts.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Beautiful! Are those pea sprouts on top? I have never grown them for salads, but am considering it. I love bean sprouts.

No, they're broccoli microgreens - my favorite little nutritional powerhouse! I would love to try growing pea shoots, though. I grow about 20 varieties of microgreens and sprouts, and would like to add even more. I just need to find more space in my house to do it. 

• Like 6

Saturday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with soybeans, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, longans, banana, guava, kiwi, apple, pear, fig, sour cherries, pomegranate, blueberries, pineapple, Galia melon, lemon and lime zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, seaweed, tofu, carrots, tomato, cucumber, mushrooms, pistachios, sesame seeds, eggplant, beets, spicy peanut dressing. A walnut chocolate chip WellBean bar. 

Dinner - Yummy portobello bean burgers and oven baked fries.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Selkie said:

Saturday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with soybeans, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, longans, banana, guava, kiwi, apple, pear, fig, sour cherries, pomegranate, blueberries, pineapple, Galia melon, lemon and lime zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, seaweed, tofu, carrots, tomato, cucumber, mushrooms, pistachios, sesame seeds, eggplant, beets, spicy peanut dressing. A walnut chocolate chip WellBean bar. 

Dinner - Yummy portobello bean burgers and oven baked fries.

Portobello sandwiches are so yummy!!!

• Like 5

We serial murdered a lot of caffeine beans.

Then we each had a boiled egg.

For the rest of the day, we ate on the leftover rice and beans with some white cheddar cheese, and part salads since I had a bag of greens that needed to be used up. Mark made a little bacon for his salad, but I abstained which is hard to do because the smell of bacon frying is like siren call to my taste buds. So I am proud of myself for resisting.

• Like 6

Saturday

Breakfast--low-sugar granola with df yogurt and a sliced banana

Lunch--cassava tortillas with chicken and hummus and onion and salsa, also an orange

Snack--banana

Dinner--The most fabulous pastelon. It took forever to make it and it was so worth the wait. It's a Cuban dish that layers a spiced meat mixture between fried plantains. The natural, deep sweetness of the plaintains is the most luxurious counterpoint to the spiced meat. The last time I made it didn't go well because the plantains tasted like potatoes and they were tough. This time, I got the correct type of plantains and they were completely black, so they fried very easily and quickly into that deep, caramel-tasting gloriousness. The spiced meat mixture is low on meat and high on veg--onion, Cubanelle pepper, garlic, and soooooo much cilantro. This is also one of the few dishes in which I can tolerate olives--they balance with the plantains so beautifully I actually enjoy the taste. Whenever I try to eat olives alone, I get a full-body gross-out shudder, so I'm fascinated by how genuinely good they taste in this dish. We also had mango with dinner.

• Like 7

Saturday 

dinner- bbq chicken casserole (shredded chicken, onions, butternut squash, bbq sauce); 

two eggs before bedtime plus one slice of gf brown seeded bread. 

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Saturday

Breakfast--low-sugar granola with df yogurt and a sliced banana

Lunch--cassava tortillas with chicken and hummus and onion and salsa, also an orange

Snack--banana

Dinner--The most fabulous pastelon. It took forever to make it and it was so worth the wait. It's a Cuban dish that layers a spiced meat mixture between fried plantains. The natural, deep sweetness of the plaintains is the most luxurious counterpoint to the spiced meat. The last time I made it didn't go well because the plantains tasted like potatoes and they were tough. This time, I got the correct type of plantains and they were completely black, so they fried very easily and quickly into that deep, caramel-tasting gloriousness. The spiced meat mixture is low on meat and high on veg--onion, Cubanelle pepper, garlic, and soooooo much cilantro. This is also one of the few dishes in which I can tolerate olives--they balance with the plantains so beautifully I actually enjoy the taste. Whenever I try to eat olives alone, I get a full-body gross-out shudder, so I'm fascinated by how genuinely good they taste in this dish. We also had mango with dinner.

Yum, this sounds amazing - I've never heard of it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eos said:

Yum, this sounds amazing - I've never heard of it.

It's from Cook's Illustrated (September-October 2021). Here's the basic recipe:

With a little neutral-tasting oil, fry up 3 - 3 1/2 lbs of plantains. Look for the mid-sized ones that are mostly black, not overly soft but with a little give. Peel, slice into thirds, and fry 3-4 minutes per side. Let rest in paper towels as you prepare the other parts of the recipe. 

In a food processor, combine and pulse to coarsely chop: 2 garlic cloves, a Cubanelle pepper (stemmed and seeded), onion, cilantro (I did two bunches--the recipe recommends 3/4 c. cilantro + 1/4 c. culantro). (I went heavy with this stuff and did less meat. It was delicious.)

After plantains are cooked, drain excess oil and saute a pound of lean ground beef with 3t. sazon seasoning. (Sazon = salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, cumin, coriander, oregano, achiote.) When mostly cooked, add the cilantro mixture and cook down for 3-5 minutes. Stir in 8oz. tomato sauce and bring to bubbling. Finally, stir in 2-3T alcoparrado (a mix of marinated olives, capers, and pimento) and 2t. white vinegar. Stir to combine.

Place a layer of plantains in a greased, rectangular baking pan. Pour over 2 beaten eggs (glues the bottom together so that it's easier to cut stable cubes from the final product). On top of the plantain/egg mixture, spread the meat/cilantro mixture evenly. Top with another layer of plantain.

The recipe says to add cheese on top. I am lactose intolerant, so I skipped that step, and instead baked with a foil cover to keep the plantains moist. Bake at 400 for just 20-25 minutes to set the eggs. 

Edited by Harriet Vane
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Eos said:

long-wise?

I find a full-length plantain a little overwhelming. I first cut it in half, and then I slice in thirds long-wise so that you have short, wide slabs, each roughly the length of my finger. 

It's the plantain that makes this dish so luxurious. The deep, caramelly sweetness of it contrasting with the spiced meat is intoxicating. 

It's one of my favorite desserts--I find that frying apple slices or plantain in a little oil lets the flavor of the fruit really shine, no sugar needed. Yummy on their own or with a little plain cinnamon sprinkled on. If I want to dress it up more, I can pair with plain unsweetened yogurt (for me, dairy-free yogurt). 

Edited by Harriet Vane
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

I find a full-length plantain a little overwhelming. I first cut it in half, and then I slice in thirds long-wise so that you have short, wide slabs, each roughly the length of my finger. 

It's the plantain that makes this dish so luxurious. The deep, caramelly sweetness of it contrasting with the spiced meat is intoxicating. 

It's one of my favorite desserts--I find that frying apple slices or plantain in a little oil lets the flavor of the fruit really shine, no sugar needed. Yummy on their own or with a little plain cinnamon sprinkled on. If I want to dress it up more, I can pair with plain unsweetened yogurt (for me, dairy-free yogurt). 

Yum! Thank you.

My day included 7 hours of driving, so it's been a half an egg sandwich at 5 am, lots of coffee, then stir fry and chicken-ginger soup for dinner.  Ready for bed as the sun is setting!

• Like 3

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with Dominican red beans, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, dragon fruit, longans, banana, kiwi, guava, pomegranate, blueberries, fig, sour cherries, passion fruit, pineapple, Galia melon, apple, Asian pear, lemon and orange zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Ezekiel toast with avocado, sriracha, tofu, roasted beets, and cilantro microgreens. A Cara Cara orange and some canary melon.

Dinner - An artichoke and more of the Italian chopped salad from two nights ago. Mixed greens, farro, garlicky white beans, artichoke hearts, grilled peppers, red onions, scallions, jalapenos, radishes, golden beets, olives, pepperoncini, tomato, WFPB creamy Italian dressing.

• Like 4

Monday - 

Breakfast - A sunflower fig WellBean bar while running errands. Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with pigeon peas, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, dragon fruit, longans, banana, kiwi, guava, passion fruit, cherries, fig, apple, pear, canary melon, pineapple, blueberries, blackberries, pomegranate, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Ezekiel toast with avocado, sriracha, sesame seeds, garlic, tofu, mushrooms, cilantro micros.

Dinner - An artichoke, veggie burgers from Tracy’s Real Foods, roasted baby potatoes and sunchokes seasoned with nooch and herbs, steamed broccoli.

• Like 4

Sunday

Breakfast--Dh did the usual fabulous spread. Veg omelettes with organic no-sugar sausage and a dish of berries. Also tea (NS).

Lunch--leftover pastelon and an orange

Dinner--tuna salad with gf whole-grain crackers, also guacamole with corn tortillas

Monday

Breakfast--leftover tuna salad with gf whole-grain crackers, also a banana, tea (S)

Lunch--the last of the pastelon

Dinner--stirfry (tons of veg with beef and a smaller portion of rice), also tea (NS)

• Like 4

I never seem to get around to posting in this thread though I do keep a notebook with my exercise, other health and eating diary. 

I have changed my diet considerably in the last month or two. For starters, I cut out white sugar totally. I drink my coffee black now (which has a cascade of benefits). One of those benefits is that it allows me to practice a 12-16 hour daily fast without messing it up due to coffee with cream and sugar. I have been fasting 9pm-lunch the next day. Only black coffee within the window. 

So, yesterday’s food:

Lunch: Multigrain sandwich thins with live culture Russian Farmer’s Cheese and Prosciutto di Parma left over from a party. Smoothie with Lacinato Kale, plain skyr yogurt, chia seeds and frozen blackberries, wile harvested. And oat milk. 

Dinner: Mexican Bowls: Jasmine Brown Rice, Organic Black Beans, romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes, fresh cilantro and Haas Avocado. 

In the afternoon, I had a snack of Walnuts, Pecans, Pepitas, Pistachios and dried cranberries. Plus two prunes. And three squares of dark chocolate. 

• Like 5

@Selkie

I'm curious about your breakfast bowls. Are you cooking up small batches of dried beans daily? And for the flaked grains, do use use these raw, or raw (but soaked), or cooked?

The microgreen salads look really good. And I've been reading up on the red lentil, black bean, and pea tortillas.

Bill

• Like 3

I have 20 out of 21 possible rainbows for the month.

For lunch today, I tried red lentil pasta in the Instant Pot with tomato sauce (and some water), frozen artichoke, a little corn (needed something yellow!), spinach, and herbs and spices. (I set it to pressure cook for 2 minutes on high.) It was fairly good--DS ate seconds. It would've been better if I'd made the sauce more carefully beforehand, but the point of the dish was to have the IP make lunch while I taught, so... good enough.

Edited by 73349
  • Like 5

You all are killing me with all the delicious looking healthful food (to say nothing of the coffee).

It has been an unusually cold (and rainy) day here in Los Angeles (by local standards) and I've been involuntarily fasting, as I've had a heat-seeking kitty on my lap most of the day. And you all are making me hungry.

Bill

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Spy Car said:

@Selkie

I'm curious about your breakfast bowls. Are you cooking up small batches of dried beans daily? And for the flaked grains, do use use these raw, or raw (but soaked), or cooked?

The microgreen salads look really good. And I've been reading up on the red lentil, black bean, and pea tortillas.

Bill

No, I keep my kitchen freezer stocked with beans that I’ve made ahead of time. I cook a few pots of them every weekend, and my kitchen freezer is always stocked with a variety. I think there must be 30-40 kinds of dried beans and legumes in my pantry (I am a bean freak 🙂).

The oats, barley, and wheat are raw, and I just have a sprinkle of each - like a condiment on top of all the fruit.

The lentil and black bean tortillas were recommended to me by someone in one of my plant based groups. I need to find time to look through the PowerHungry site, because she has so many recipes that look interesting.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Selkie said:

No, I keep my kitchen freezer stocked with beans that I’ve made ahead of time. I cook a few pots of them every weekend, and my kitchen freezer is always stocked with a variety. I think there must be 30-40 kinds of dried beans and legumes in my pantry (I am a bean freak 🙂).

The oats, barley, and wheat are raw, and I just have a sprinkle of each - like a condiment on top of all the fruit.

The lentil and black bean tortillas were recommended to me by someone in one of my plant based groups. I need to find time to look through the PowerHungry site, because she has so many recipes that look interesting.

I can see you have an interesting array of beans. Making them in advance and freezing is smart. Do you bother to individually freeze them (like on trays first) or do they just go into a bag?

I poked around the PowerHungry site thanks to your mention. Looks interesting.

Bill

• Like 2

Tuesday - 

I think I posted a couple weeks ago about the 16 pounds of guava that dh and I received as a gift. Well, we’ve been steadily working our way through our big pile of guava and finally ate the last of them today. I was sad to see them go - they were so delicious!

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with Mayocoba beans, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, guava, banana, dragon fruit, sour cherries, wild barberries (a new one for us, recommended by Dr. Greger), apple, pear, blueberries, blackberries, canary melon, pineapple, fig, apricot, longans, lime and orange zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, red cabbage, seaweed, edamame, beets, mushrooms, tomato, grilled peppers, artichoke hearts, radishes, scallions, jalapenos, pistachios, WFPB creamy Italian. A Cara Cara orange.

Dinner - I made Monkey and Me’s Creamy Smoky Butternut Squash soup and changed it up a bit - used romanesco instead of cauliflower, and after blending it, I threw in some shiitake mushrooms and chopped baby kale. We had leftover farro, garlicky white beans, and steamed broccoli, so we used those as a base and served the soup on top. Really good.

• Like 4