Menu

March Healthy Eating

Selkie

Monday

Breakfast: orange/carrot/ginger/lemon juice. I don't know what it is, but I really enjoy this juice. Banana with strawberries, blueberries, flax, almonds and soy milk

Lunch: enormous salad, bean burrito

Dinner: egg roll

• Like 3

Monday:

Coffee beans turned into dark matter.

Boiled egg.

Lunch: Salad with lots of vegetables and another boiled egg

Dinner: I made a big sheet pan of carrots, green beans, potatoes, and leeks tossed with olive oil and lots of herbs, roasted. Super yummy. We also each had a small perch fillet cooked in the iron skillet.

• Like 4

Monday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with adzuki beans, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, passion fruit, kiwi, guava, banana, pineapple, Galia melon, blueberries, pomegranate, fig, apricot, sour cherries, lemon and orange zest, apple, pear, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, tofu, lentils, garlic, sesame seeds, carrot, tomato, beets, pistachios, mushrooms, cashew queso. A Sumo orange.

Dinner - Two kale/spinach/broccoli burgers with baked oven fries and roasted cauliflower.

• Like 4

Monday 

breakfast- keto blueberry cinnamon crunch granola with coconut yogurt 

lunch-  scrambled eggs with onions, mixed greens, mushrooms; 1/2 flaxseed muffin; dark chocolate 

dinner- rotisserie chicken, roasted garlic vegetable stew with red lentils and tomatoes (has sweet potatoes and cauliflower, lentils, tomatoes, garlic, bell peppers in it);  jello pudding cup

two eggs before bedtime

• Like 4

a slice of whole rye with cold smoked salmon and a boiled egg

leftover chicken thigh, kale, beluga lentils

some ice cream!  Dh and dds gave me a birthday party two nights ago since I was gone in February.

Salad with greens, carrots, avocado, walnuts, snap peas, kale

• Like 4

Tuesday

lunch-  scrambled eggs with onions, mixed greens, mushrooms; 1/2 flaxseed muffin; dark chocolate 

dinner- 1/2 flaxseed muffin , roasted garlic vegetable stew with red lentils and tomatoes (has sweet potatoes and cauliflower, lentils, tomatoes, garlic, bell peppers in it);  jello pudding cup

two eggs before bedtime

• Like 4

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with soybeans, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, mango, kiwi, banana, strawberries, pineapple, Galia melon, blueberries, apple, pear, fig, apricot, sour cherries, passion fruit, guava, lemon and lime zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, seaweed, buckwheat groats, carrot, edamame, tomato, sweet potato, cauliflower, hazelnuts, sesame seeds, cashew queso.

Dinner - Sushi (nori, tofu, brown rice, avocado, red onion, cucumber, jalapeño, shredded bok choy and red cabbage, panko, black sesame seeds).

• Like 4

B: broccoli and an egg

L: a rice krispie-type treat - I kid you not.  I'm trying to concoct a new emergency super-high glycemic rescue ball for dd so I boiled together some maple syrup and almond butter then coated some popped corn and popped rice cereal and scooped them into balls.  They are pretty good!  Two of them brought her up from 70 to 100 so they're in the ballpark of effective. I'm trying to use the almond butter to slow down the maple syrup a tiny bit. 

S: a homemade rosti and chicory salad.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with soybeans, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, mango, kiwi, banana, strawberries, pineapple, Galia melon, blueberries, apple, pear, fig, apricot, sour cherries, passion fruit, guava, lemon and lime zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, seaweed, buckwheat groats, carrot, edamame, tomato, sweet potato, cauliflower, hazelnuts, sesame seeds, cashew queso.

Dinner - Sushi (nori, tofu, brown rice, avocado, red onion, cucumber, jalapeño, shredded bok choy and red cabbage, panko, black sesame seeds).

I am new to buckwheat groats and absolutely love them in salads. They add a heartiness that I sometimes miss when eating salad. 

• Like 4

On 3/6/2023 at 6:24 PM, Kela said:

Monday

Breakfast: orange/carrot/ginger/lemon juice. I don't know what it is, but I really enjoy this juice. Banana with strawberries, blueberries, flax, almonds and soy milk

Lunch: enormous salad, bean burrito

Dinner: egg roll

I love that juice combo. I need to make some this week. I have a lot of tangerines right now. I made a green smoothie today using tangerine and grapefruit juice, with frozen mango and banana, along with a hefty amount of fresh spinach. It was so good. Actually reminded me of the Orange Julius, popular in the 1970s or 1980s, but healthier and not so sweet. 

• Like 4

Tuesday

Breakfast--oatmeal with cinnamon, raisins, peaches, and a splash of maple syrup

Lunch--leftover tofu stirfry (rice, veg, tofu, kimchi)

Snack--Chocolate almonds. I thought they would be darker or more pure than they actually were. Kept eating them anyway. Ugh.

Dinner--Fabulous Italian Wedding Soup. I've never cooked with fennel before--the stock had a beautiful flavor. Also had gf/df bread with the soup.

• Like 5

Tuesday:

Breakfast: Slaughter the Queen's Java. One boiled egg.

Lunch: Broccoli pasta salad with red peppers, celery, and fresh basil plus herbed olive oil and vinegar.

Dh wasn't hungry for a big meal, so we had loaded baked potatoes - steamed broccoli, a little shredded cheddar, some Greek yogurt, and green onion.

• Like 5

Wednesday - 

Breakfast - A walnut chocolate chip WellBean bar while running errands. Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with Rio Zape beans, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, Galia melon, strawberries, blueberries, pomegranate, kiwi, guava, apple, Asian pear, banana, passion fruit, dragon fruit, peaches, fig, apricot, sour cherries, lemon and orange zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Only a small salad today instead of my usual enormous one (I ate breakfast late). Mixed greens, carrot, radishes, jungle peanuts, tomato, sesame seeds, edamame, cashew queso.

Dinner - Same veggie/tofu sushi as last night.

Dessert - Vanilla macadamia banana nice cream with cacao nib sprinkles.

• Like 5

Wednesday 

dinner- 1/2 flaxseed muffin , roasted garlic vegetable stew with red lentils and tomatoes (has sweet potatoes and cauliflower, lentils, tomatoes, garlic, bell peppers in it);  jello pudding cup

two eggs before bedtime

• Like 5

Wednesday:

Breakfast - little bit of granola, a lot of mass murdered Java beans.

Lunch - salad with chopped turkey

Dinner - black bean and refried bean tacos with lettuce, dried cherry tomatoes - I am almost out of my garden tomatoes now 😢 - and red pepper. Dollop of Greek yogurt for each.

• Like 6

Thursday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with mayocoba beans, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, pineapple. Galia melon, passion fruit, dragon fruit, apple, Asian pear, guava, kiwi, blueberries, blackberries, pomegranate, lemon and lime zest, fig, apricot, sour cherries, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Salad with mixed greens, edamame, tofu, carrots, tomato, garlic, almonds, sesame seeds, cashew queso. A Sumo orange and a walnut chocolate chip WellBean bar.

Dinner - Super easy and delicious dinner tonight. We got two potato varieties, Nicola and Purple Majesty, in our produce box. I baked those and topped them with steamed veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, carrots, mushrooms) and the Esselstyn’s Cheezy Chickpeas. The chickpeas were so good and so easy to make. I have been wanting to try the recipe because so many people rave about it, and I can see why. I made the Nacho Chickpeas, which are the regular recipe plus cumin and chili powder.

Dessert - WFPB Sunny Pumpkin Oat Muffins from Tracy’s Real Foods

• Like 5

Thursday

Breakfast: vanilla smoothie with banana, almonds, protein powder, almond milk, vanilla

Lunch: grapefruit/avocado salad on mixed greens. Very good and very satisfying

Snack: Kate's Real Food Oatmeal Cranberry Bar

Dinner: red beans and collard greens soup

• Like 5

Thursday

lunch-  scrambled eggs with onions, mixed greens, mushrooms; flaxseed muffin; dark chocolate 

dinner- roasted garlic vegetable stew with red lentils and tomatoes (has sweet potatoes and cauliflower, lentils, tomatoes, garlic, bell peppers in it)

two eggs before bedtime

• Like 5

Thursday:

No breakfast: But, "One man can change the present", James T. Kirk. And that one man was dh who made some specialty coffee and added Bailey's to my cup!

Lunch - leftover bean tacos and veggies. Very yummy.

Supper - one boneless, skinless chicken thigh a piece seasoned heavily with tumeric, cumin, garlic, and onion, pan seared and finished in the oven. Hummus, saffron rice, roasted brussel sprouts, lentil and carrot soup. Super duper yummy.

• Like 6

Friday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with Dominican red beans, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, kiwi, guava, pear, apple, blackberries, blueberries, pomegranate, Galia melon, pineapple, fig, apricot, cherries, lemon and orange zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, broccoli, cauliflower, edamame, carrot, tomato, zucchini, summer squash, mushrooms, cashew queso.

Dinner - I made a big pot of soup in the crockpot and it turned out very thick, like a stew. Delicious and very filling. Ingredients were just things I had on hand - onion, garlic, shiitake mushrooms, green and yellow split peas, barley, carrots, sweet potato, green peas, kale, loads of spices, veggie broth, a bit of cashew cream.

• Like 6

Today we got up late and each of us wad on the run so we didn't get breakfast:

At 10 am dear husband sacrificed beans to the Java witch 😁 and, after inhaling the brew, we opted for brunch. I made a big skillet meal. Lots of baby red potatoes diced and browned, red pepper, spinach, mushrooms, garlic, and green onion, four eggs scrambled in, and a sprinkle of parmesan. Very delicious.

For supper I took some chicken broth that I needed to use up, and made it into a buttermilk.gravy which we ate on mashed potatoes with roasted broccoli as a side.

We just had a Friday night movie night bowl of popcorn with vegan butter and parmesan sprinkles. Nice treat. We might each eat a small square of dark chocolate later.

• Like 6

Friday 

lunch-  scrambled eggs with onions, mixed greens, mushrooms; flaxseed muffin; dark chocolate 

dinner- Garden scramble (Home fried potatoes, bell peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes and cheddar cheese scrambled with eggs, arugula & pickled red onion garnish), gf toast with blackberry jam.  

two eggs before bedtime

• Like 6

Friday

Breakfast--Slammed down a slice of ham and some cucumber on my way to the gym.

Lunch--Eggs and Spanish rice with beans. Lunch was super early, so later I had some gf bread and EB butter and some tea (NS). Hit the spot on a raw, wet, cold day.

Snack--Had some sweets from the gf bakery because I found myself in the neighborhood (nowhere near my home while dealing with errands and doctor visit). Well worth it and within reasonable limits.

Dinner--Italian Wedding Soup and a salad. Added extra kale to the soup which brought it over the top. It was better tonight than the first day I made it. This recipe is definitely a keeper.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

sweets from the gf bakery because I found myself in the neighborhood (nowhere near my home

teehee, how terribly convenient

Yesterday was a blur of dd18's last competitive one-act play. It was glorious.  I think I ate some yogurt, granola and sour cherries, some scallops wrapped in bacon, and some rice and cilantro cabbage slaw.  A thin slice of ganache brownie at about midnight in celebration!

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Eos said:

teehee, how terribly convenient

Yesterday was a blur of dd18's last competitive one-act play. It was glorious.  I think I ate some yogurt, granola and sour cherries, some scallops wrapped in bacon, and some rice and cilantro cabbage slaw.  A thin slice of ganache brownie at about midnight in celebration!

LOL--yes, indeed! I have found that there are tons of gluten free products--including at dedicated gf bakeries--that are just soooooooo sugary and stiff and weird textures. My son used to pick up gluten-free baked items for me from his dorm cafeteria--he was trying hard to do something nice for me, but what they baked there was absolutely awful. (I've never told him that, and I always ate what he gave me to affirm his thoughtfulness.)

This particular bakery is my favorite one I have ever found, anywhere. What they make tastes like normal food (what a relief!) and it's not heavy with cloying sugar. (Obviously there IS sugar, but it's in the right proportion so that the other flavors dominate.) The other benefit is that they don't use any icky additives--it's a completely hippie, sustainable, all-natural kinda place and the ingredients are simple and recognizable. They're actually the ones who inspired me to keep trying to find good gluten free recipes to try at home--I knew if this bakery could do it, I could figure this out, too. 🙂

• Like 6

Saturday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with pigeon peas, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, banana, guava, kiwi, apple, pear, blueberries, blackberries, pomegranate, passion fruit, dragon fruit, fig, apricot, sour cherries, lemon and lime zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, seaweed, sweet potato, quinoa, leftover cheezy chickpeas, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, summer squash, tomato, radish, edamame. An orange and a guava (We are big guava fans, and someone gave us 16 pounds of them - so we have been eating them up as fast as they ripen!)

Dinner - An artichoke and a bowl of leftover split pea-barley-veggie-greens soup. Also, I made a small batch of Jane Esselstyn’s flax biscuits and we had those with hummus.

• Like 5

Saturday

Breakfast: carrot/celery juice; bananas with blueberries, walnuts, flax meal and almond milk. Still my favorite breakfast!

Lunch: balela salad in half a pita, Beets with sauted beet greens topped with balsamic and orange juice with a sprinkle of feta

Snack: Dandy blend, dried figs

Dinner: mushroom/bean/greens soup, 2 mandarin oranges

• Like 5

Saturday 

dinner- Garden scramble (Home fried potatoes, bell peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes and cheddar cheese scrambled with eggs, arugula & pickled red onion garnish), gf toast with apple butter 

two eggs before bedtime

• Like 5

I had thought I'd post what I'd eat but I find I just don't have the time. I am reading here when I get a chance.

I'm continuing to get my eating in line. I've brought my quantity down a bit (still working on this). 

I got plenty of water most days 5 or 6 out of 7.

I've been using the daily dozen and am hitting at least 17 or 18 (out of 24) most days. 

I've done better with snacking this week. 

I ate a salad for lunch every day this week. I found a bunch of different varieties of salad mixes on sale so it made it really easy for me to just eat for a quick meal.  

I almost packed a sandwich with chips for an outing Friday but took the salad instead and was satisfied. I knew in the end if I took the sandwich with chips I wouldn't be full. I also know the more I eat healthy the less I have a desire for unhealthy things. 

Thank you ladies for the inspiration!

I copied down some ideas for salads and have requested Fiber Fueled and its cookbook from my library. The grocery store had tofu on sale so I'm going to prep some kind of stir-fry with baked tofu for my lunches this week.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 5

Saturday:

Java beans sacrificed to the caffeine gods, Thor or Odin or somebody! 😁

No other breakfast.

Lunch - just hummus and a bunch of fresh veggies. We wanted to eat light because....

Dinner - Mark made the best, most amazing veggie pizza. Two kinds of mushrooms which always floats my boat, red pepper, banana peppers, green onion, basil leaves, my super duper yummy sauce, fresh mozzarella.

• Like 5

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with vaquero beans, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, kiwi, strawberries, blueberries, pomegranate, banana, fig, apricot, sour cherries, peaches, lemon and orange zest, pineapple, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - I had the best sandwich, thanks to Vegan Michelle (on YouTube - she’s great!). Toasted Ezekiel bread, mashed edamame mixed with cashew mayo, fresh garlic, and black pepper, topped with red onion, tomato, and sauerkraut. So good! Also some Galia melon.

Dinner - An artichoke, mixed greens with lemon balsamic vinegar, and pizza with artichoke hearts, red pepper, and mushrooms.

Dessert - Chocolate hazelnut banana nice cream.

• Like 5

Sunday

Breakfast: smoothie with banana, coconut, blueberries, acai powder, chia and coconut water

Lunch: large salad, balela salad in half a pita

Dinner: bean/mushroom/greens soup, apple, Dr. Furhman's recipe for nutritella

• Like 5

Sunday 

lunch-  omelette with cheese, avocado, spinach, scallions; grapes, honeydew melon, cantaloupe; gf crepes 

dinner- Sunflower crunch salad (green cabbage, lettuce, red cabbage, sunflower seeds, carrots, kale); poppyseed dressing, rotisserie chicken 

two eggs before bedtime

• Like 5

Monday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with adzuki beans, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, blackberries, blueberries, banana, kiwi, guava, sour cherries, fig, pomegranate, lemon and lime zest, apple, pear, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Whole grain pita with hummus, beets, mushrooms, carrots, tomato, scallions. A Sumo orange.

Dinner - I made a big Thai chopped salad with odds and ends from the fridge. Shredded Brussels sprouts, bok choy, red cabbage, kale, cilantro microgreens, carrots, scallions, red onion, jalapeños, soba noodles, crispy tofu, avocado, chopped peanuts, all topped with peanut sauce (actually almond sauce, since I couldn’t get the lid off the peanut bar jar, so I used almond butter instead).

Dessert - Galia melon.

• Like 5

Monday

Breakfast: steel cut oatmeal with nutritella, cinnamon and almond milk. 

I learned about a trick that worked really well for me. The night before, you put the water and oats in a pan, then you bring it to a boil, put the lid on and turn the stove off. The next morning your oats are cooked perfectly and you just need to heat them up before eating. 

Lunch: balela salad on top of baby greens

Dinner: bean/mushroom/greens soup, 2 mandarin oranges

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Kela said:

I learned about a trick that worked really well for me. The night before, you put the water and oats in a pan, then you bring it to a boil, put the lid on and turn the stove off. The next morning your oats are cooked perfectly and you just need to heat them up before eating. 

I’m going to try that - thanks!

• Like 3

I am behind on posting:

Sunday:

Ritual sacrifice of innocent, perfect java beans.

Breakfast - biscuit while going out the door to help our eldest son whose car stopped running.

Lunch - Baked cod, nice veggie laden salad, green beans, baked potato.

Supper - egg skillet meal, light on eggs, mostly spinach and mushroom

Monday:

Breakfast - boiled egg. Enough java to make.college students during final's week all nighters feel positively refreshed.

Lunch - large salad

Dinner - blue cheese mac n cheese, steamed broccoli, roast peppers and mushrooms

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I've lost my posting steam to some overly busy days and sad family news.  Overall I'm eating well.  I made a delicious skillet meal of pork, kale, onions, sweet potato with a sauce made with tamari and maple sap plus rice made with sap instead of water, cooked over the sap-boiling fire which was festive.  I'll regroup in a day or two.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Eos said:

I've lost my posting steam to some overly busy days and sad family news.  Overall I'm eating well.  I made a delicious skillet meal of pork, kale, onions, sweet potato with a sauce made with tamari and maple sap plus rice made with sap instead of water, cooked over the sap-boiling fire which was festive.  I'll regroup in a day or two.

I am very sorry about your family news. Take care of yourself, and don't beat yourself up if meals aren't as healthy as you want while you adjust.

• Like 5

(hugs) Eos. I hope things ease up soon.

Everyone here is on spring break this week so I should have some extra time. I'm going to try and track my food a bit. Things are still improving. 

I had a grain bowl at Panera while out yesterday (we were gone all day)- hold the dairy and meat. I got the chips with it (no gluten) but only ate maybe 1/2-1/3 of the bag.

I skipped the frozen custard dh and the girls had some. Honestly, I didn't even want it. I need to experiment with some nice cream. I've got some bananas here and a Vitamix.

I'm trying to get entirely off of dairy. I was doing well in January until I hit busyness, injury, and stress mid-way through the month. I did it for years at a time before but haven't been able to make it very long these days. 

today's plans:

b: blueberries, strawberries, raspberries/ 1/2 c greek yogurt/ 1/4 c. homemade granola- nut and seed- reduced oil and sweetner/ gf rolled oats/ hemp seeds/ soy milk

l: curried lentils w/ carrots, zucchini, red onion, and spinach over jasmine rice

afternoon meal: salad-  baked 'hash' (red cabbage, purple onion, carrot, and potato) w/ egg

dinner: tacos- mom's homegrown beef w/ homemade seasoning, tostados, black beans and homemade pico and side salad w/ a watermelon vinagriette

a small fruit salad in there somewhere for another couple servings of fruit.

Yesterday I hit 21 out of 24 of the daily dozen checklist. I'd been lacking on the legume intake some I'm easing back into it. I have tofu to cook for this week but ended up with leftover lentil curry so I'm going through it first.

• Like 5