Menu

March Healthy Eating

Selkie

1 minute ago, GoVanGogh said:

Selkie, glad you and your family are safe. I hate tornadoes! I grew up on the north end of tornado alley and moved to the southern end of it as a young adult. Seems I can’t escape them! 

I hate them, too! I've never seen so many tornadoes across the midwest as there were today. Now they're saying we may have a repeat next Tuesday and Wednesday.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Friday- not my best afternoon and evening food choices  High blood sugars as a result  

breakfast- keto blueberry cinnamon crunch granola with coconut yogurt 

lunch-  scrambled eggs with onions, mixed greens; 1/2 flaxseed muffin; two squares of dark chocolate 

snack - chickpea veggie chips (Rice Flour, Chickpea Flour, Dried Green Peas, Sunflower Oil, Dried Black Beans, Dried Purple Sweet Potato, Cane Sugar, Sea Salt, Calcium Lactate, Salt, Vegetable Juice (Color), Mixed Tocopherols (Antioxidant)  Bad blood sugars after  

dinner - another late dinner out after dh’s medical stuff. Had a smash burger on gf bread, lettuce, pickles;  gf fries and ketchup. Really bad blood sugars after. Which I knew would happen but I didn’t want more eggs. 

• Like 4

Friday

Breakfast—Slammed down a banana on the way to the gym and then another banana afterward on my way to the grocery store.

Lunch—a little of this and a little of that. Ate some leftover pancit (rice noodles with tons of veg and some chicken) and a little rice with beef Vindaloo.

Snack—Not my finest hour. Had some dark chocolate. Then while babysitting I snacked on the kids’ fries and had a scoop of df ice cream when I originally intended not to. Just impulse. A better strategy would have been to bring a favorite tea along instead of thinking I would willpower my way through the snack temptation.

Dinner—Beans and guac on corn tortillas 

• Like 4

Tornadoes seem terrifying.

We evidently had an earthquake today, but I didn't feel it.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure if it's "healthy," but I'm losing weight.

Losing weight? How are you going that Bill?

I guess you could call it a new kind of diet. Very effective.

A new kind of diet that's very effective Bill? What's it called???

I call it "the-cat-on-the-lap diet." I simply can't get up to go raid the fridge.

All I've managed today is a small avocado and a tangerine. And coffee, naturally. 

What are you gonna do?

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Spy Car said:

We are blessed to have a fair number of oak trees on our property. And they produce copious amounts of acorns.

Shame on me for not diverting some from the squirrel-feeding  resources to feeding the family. Hmm. 

Bill

I've read that at least some of your acorns are much less bitter than ours and therefore easier and quicker to leach.  I've also read that some of CA's Indigenous groups were so savvy about acorn production that they created surpluses and a trade economy based on acorn abundance.

https://directives.sc.egov.usda.gov/OpenNonWebContent.aspx?content=25907.wba

Some foodies: https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/california-acorn-mush

Where to go see acorn-grinding rocks  https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=553 and an image from the park: IMG_2295-e1493343514574.jpg

Edited by Eos
  • Like 2