Menu

March Healthy Eating

Selkie

OK, I am going to do a March Madness goal: no sugar, low-salt, low-oil, no snacks (other than no salt nuts,) no seconds and just see where that takes me. I'll eat earlier a la Selkie, and alternate my suppers between what I make for everyone else and big salads.

cabbage and 2 boiled eggs with lot of pepper!

chicken veggie soup

handful of walnuts after hiking

salmon, zucchini, asparagus sheet pan roast, feta, cuke, and olive salad with just lemon juice

• Like 7

This morning, assault on Mount Java and one of Mark's absolutely divine homemade sundried tomato and onion bagels which he makes with Einkorn flour. I am very fortunate to be in the small percentage of wheat allergy sufferers who are not allergic to its wheat protein which is quite different from hybridized wheat varieties. So darn yummy!!

Lunch - none, I was working to beat the clock, ie the rain, to get those raised beds filled. We just built a 27ftx2.5ftx2ft bed put of pallets for our daughter, and since she is post partum only 5 weeks, and her hubby and mine are working a lot of hours this week, it kind of fell on me to get it done. She is so happy, and I am pleased about that.

Dinner - we are cooking, right now, salmon, green beans, herbed potatoes, and making salads. There is a lot of fruit, and I won't eat any unless I acquiesce to a clementine. Mostly after all the hard muscle labor, I need some protein along with grains and veggies so I am going to eat a pile of leftover pinto beans with my meal salmon and sides.

You know you are tired when you are already looking forward to the next day's morning coffee!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

I found a quick, yummy thing at Trader Joe’s this week: veggie hash. A mix of assorted fresh veg, chopped fine, for sautéing or soup or whatever. I am enjoying it in my eggs. A nice time-saver on a busy day! 

Ooooo, that would be so nice. Whip up rice and a scrambled egg, add veggie hash, and bam, fast lunch!

• Like 6

10 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

I found a quick, yummy thing at Trader Joe’s this week: veggie hash. A mix of assorted fresh veg, chopped fine, for sautéing or soup or whatever. I am enjoying it in my eggs. A nice time-saver on a busy day! 

Ooh, nice! I’m envious whenever I hear about amazing finds at Trader Joe’s because we don’t have one nearby. The closest one is about two hours away. One of the downfalls of living out in the middle of nowhere!

• Like 7

Wednesday

Breakfast--Slammed down an organic sausage patty and some apple/banana sauce before class. Had some more apple/banana sauce after class before heading to the gym.

Lunch--gf steamed potstickers, an orange, and a tiny bit of leftover stirfry with rice

Snack--dark chocolate. Broke my streak. Am reminding myself that my high-quality, high-cocoa content chocolate is allowed. Really what's needed is more sleep so that the cravings aren't quite so overpowering.

Dinner--Street tacos (gf Kite Hill ricotta, chicken, avocado, cilantro, onion, red peppers)

• Like 6

8 hours ago, 73349 said:

In February, I got rainbows 18 days out of 28. I'd like to improve to at least 75%. I'm working on healthier lunches.

Awesome! In the Neuro Academy brain health nutrition course I started this week, we just covered anthocyanins (pigments) found in plants. We learned that they are very protective against cognitive decline, in addition to their many other health benefits.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Eos said:

OK, I am going to do a March Madness goal: no sugar, low-salt, low-oil, no snacks (other than no salt nuts,) no seconds and just see where that takes me. I'll eat earlier a la Selkie, and alternate my suppers between what I make for everyone else and big salads.

cabbage and 2 boiled eggs with lot of pepper!

chicken veggie soup

handful of walnuts after hiking

salmon, zucchini, asparagus sheet pan roast, feta, cuke, and olive salad with just lemon juice

Sounds like a good plan! I hope it is beneficial!

• Like 4

Wednesday - 

Breakfast (my morning got busy and I only ate half of my breakfast bowl) - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with adzuki beans, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, kiwi, apple, pear, blueberries, pomegranate, passion fruit, dragon fruit, pineapple, fig, apricot, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, banana, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - The other half of my breakfast bowl and a big bowl of mixed greens.

Dinner - Monkey & Me’s Cauliflower Fiesta Tacos (tweaked a little bit - I added shiitake mushrooms and bok choy and omitted liquid smoke). I was out of corn tortillas, so I tried a recipe for red lentil tortillas from a site called Powerhungry.com. So good! The only ingredients are lentils and water (salt is optional). They are like a cross between corn and flour tortillas. I made them in a nonstick ceramic pan and it was a little tricky to get it right at first (my first batch was ugly!) but then I got the hang of it and the rest turned out great. Now I can’t wait to try the black bean tortilla recipe from the same site.

• Like 3

Wednesday 

breakfast- blueberry keto granola and coconut yogurt 

lunch-  scrambled eggs with onions, mixed greens, mushrooms; 1/2 flaxseed muffin; dark chocolate 

dinner- gf Filipino adobo, brown rice, sunflower crunch salad ( cabbage, lettuce, carrots, sunflower seeds, bacon bits); tomatoes;  gf chocolate chip cookies  All very well received by our guests.

two eggs before bedtime 

• Like 5

Thursday - 

Breakfast - A lemon poppyseed WellBean bar while running errands. Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with French lentils, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, kiwi, guava, banana, blueberries, pomegranate, passion fruit, apple, pear, fig, apricot, lemon and orange zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Whole grain pita filled with odds and ends from the fridge…quinoa, edamame, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, carrots, scallions, cashew mayo, mustard, sriracha. A Sumo orange.

Dinner - Leftover cauliflower fiesta tacos with red lentil tortillas and guacamole (we decided that of all the many taco variations we have tried over the years, this combo is the winner). 

Dessert - Pumpkin pie banana nice cream sprinkled with chopped pecans and cacao nibs.

• Like 6

Today we had a few scrambled eggs and of Mark's epic bagels while elsewhere in the galaxy Obi Wan said, "I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of coffee beans cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced."

Lunch - chopped turkey on large veggie laden salads

Dinner - Vegetable stew, I made it and herbed the tar out of it, and it was so good. Perfect for the rainy day we had. I also made Einkorn biscuits to go with it. The little guys don't eat soup so well, so we gave them peanut butter sandwiches plus veggies from the soup, fresh carrots and clementines. 

We are ending the evening with lemon tea and tiny shots of lemon vodka in it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

On 3/1/2023 at 9:04 AM, ScoutTN said:

Fresh or frozen?

• Like 3

Oof, my 16 hours of driving yesterday turned into almost 20 as the storm I was watching intensified after I had reached the turn around point.  My day started at 4 with avocado on a slice of rye, then an apple for lunch.  Dinner was a chicken and veggie wrap to go from a Turkish diner and then we were driving 15 miles an hour in a blizzard for nearly 7 hours in a pitch dark far-rural area. I had to stop several times to clear my windshield of ice blocks. Plus for whatever weird reason I had not brought snacks - oh yeah, I'm not snacking, that's why.  But dd is type 1 diabetic and I was terrified we might get stuck without food other than her glucose tabs.  So we stopped at a gas station eventually and I bought "food" for an emergency: salty snack mix, processed cheese, an egg salad on wonder-wheat bread.  Ladies, I stress-ate that chex mix for the next two hours as we inched through another 40 miles and I swear it was like ambrosia and manna mixed together in a processed package.  We got home at midnight and it took an hour to fall asleep due to my brain seeing that thick swirling snow.  Back to the low-salt eating today, but with rare gratitude for a kinda nasty truck stop snack.

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, Eos said:

Oof, my 16 hours of driving yesterday turned into almost 20 as the storm I was watching intensified after I had reached the turn around point.  My day started at 4 with avocado on a slice of rye, then an apple for lunch.  Dinner was a chicken and veggie wrap to go from a Turkish diner and then we were driving 15 miles an hour in a blizzard for nearly 7 hours in a pitch dark far-rural area. I had to stop several times to clear my windshield of ice blocks. Plus for whatever weird reason I had not brought snacks - oh yeah, I'm not snacking, that's why.  But dd is type 1 diabetic and I was terrified we might get stuck without food other than her glucose tabs.  So we stopped at a gas station eventually and I bought "food" for an emergency: salty snack mix, processed cheese, an egg salad on wonder-wheat bread.  Ladies, I stress-ate that chex mix for the next two hours as we inched through another 40 miles and I swear it was like ambrosia and manna mixed together in a processed package.  We got home at midnight and it took an hour to fall asleep due to my brain seeing that thick swirling snow.  Back to the low-salt eating today, but with rare gratitude for a kinda nasty truck stop snack.

I am so sorry! Be kind to yourself about it. I have driving anxiety ever since our car accident, so white knuckle driving in storms really sets me off. I am pretty certain that under so much stress, the body actually needs the carbs for fuel. I have done the "drive straight through, eat very little carbs, determined to stay on the diet thing" before under similar circumstances, and arrived at my destination incredibly exhausted, shaky, and emotionally losing it. I am pretty certain that had I made my situation a lot worse for NOT feeding myself the thing my body needed. So ya. It may have been junky, not very palatable stuff, but you did  just fine in my book!

• Like 7

Thursday 

breakfast- 
Fed myself in shifts. I had hard boiled eggs with our guests. (I also served them coffee and fruit). Then I tried to sleep in my armchair. 

Had a second breakfast of fruit (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries) and coconut yogurt.  

lunch-  scrambled eggs with onions, mixed greens, mushrooms; 1/2 flaxseed muffin; dark chocolate 

snack- finished off the package of gf chocolate chip cookies Not a craving.  Not emotional eating. But “exhaustion eating “ where the sugar gains me enough energy to go on my walk  

dinner- leftovers of black bean soup, brown rice 

two eggs before bedtime 

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I am so sorry! Be kind to yourself about it. I have driving anxiety ever since our car accident, so white knuckle driving in storms really sets me off. I am pretty certain that under so much stress, the body actually needs the carbs for fuel. I have done the "drive straight through, eat very little carbs, determined to stay on the diet thing" before under similar circumstances, and arrived at my destination incredibly exhausted, shaky, and emotionally losing it. I am pretty certain that had I made my situation a lot worse for NOT feeding myself the thing my body needed. So ya. It may have been junky, not very palatable stuff, but you did  just fine in my book!

Thanks!  Salt helps ground fear, in my experience.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Eos said:

Yikes, so glad you made it home safe! I am feeling very done with winter weather at this point in the season. Bring on spring!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

Of course, my dd just laughed at me telling this story.  "Mom, how long have you known me?  My bag was full of snacks."  Whew!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I honestly don't remember yesterday's food very clearly, LOL. I've been babysitting for a friend who was originally scheduled for a c-section next week. The baby came "early"--but at more than eight pounds, I think there was likely an error in counting the weeks, LOL.  I know that I ate healthy stuff all day with the exception of fries from McDonald's. The kids were so tired and falling apart from days of upheaval, so a Happy Meal for them was a compromise made to preserve some sanity. Such an interesting mix of emotions for me--I felt guilty for not having better options already prepared, yet I have such happy memories of when my grandma would treat us to McDonald's, so watching these little guys' delight in their silly boxed, highly-processed dinner brought a smile to my face. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Harriet Vane said:

I honestly don't remember yesterday's food very clearly, LOL. I've been babysitting for a friend who was originally scheduled for a c-section next week. The baby came "early"--but at more than eight pounds, I think there was likely an error in counting the weeks, LOL.  I know that I ate healthy stuff all day with the exception of fries from McDonald's. The kids were so tired and falling apart from days of upheaval, so a Happy Meal for them was a compromise made to preserve some sanity. Such an interesting mix of emotions for me--I felt guilty for not having better options already prepared, yet I have such happy memories of when my grandma would treat us to McDonald's, so watching these little guys' delight in their silly boxed, highly-processed dinner brought a smile to my face. 

I firmly believe a Happy Meal once in a while during childhood is vitally necessary so that our species does not eat our young! 😁😂😂😂

Edited by Faith-manor
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

I firmly believe a Happy Meal once in a while during childhood is vitally necessary so that our species does not eat out young! 😁😂😂😂

I never had fast food growing up.  When I was a junior in high school, my lacrosse team had all away games because our fields were being resurfaced. The school paid for us to eat out every Wed and Sat after games (boarding school, longish drives to games). After three weeks, I was “cured” of fast food forever! There were not as many menu choices back then, in the dark ages. We begged to stop at Pizza Hut bc they had salad!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ScoutTN said:

I never had fast food growing up.  When I was a junior in high school, my lacrosse team had all away games because our fields were being resurfaced. The school paid for us to eat out every Wed and Sat after games (boarding school, longish drives to games). After three weeks, I was “cured” of fast food forever! There were not as many menu choices back then, in the dark ages. We begged to stop at Pizza Hut bc they had salad!

Sadly, my youth was quite the opposite. Everything we ate was from a box or a can and our treats were fast food or if we were VERY fancy we might eat out at Denny’s. I discovered “real” food as a teenager when out of sheer boredom I decided to learn how to cook. I spent all day making lasagna. It tasted incredible. I was hooked. Now I’m a die-hard from-scratch cook. Although I still associate good times and good feelings with junk food, so it’s always a terrible temptation. Especially fries or chocolate.

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

Sadly, my youth was quite the opposite. Everything we ate was from a box or a can and our treats were fast food or if we were VERY fancy we might eat out at Denny’s. I discovered “real” food as a teenager when out of sheer boredom I decided to learn how to cook. I spent all day making lasagna. It tasted incredible. I was hooked. Now I’m a die-hard from-scratch cook. Although I still associate good times and good feelings with junk food, so it’s always a terrible temptation. Especially fries or chocolate.

My mom worked in my dad's business, and he never helped in the kitchen. That man could not boil water without creating tragedy! So everything was dump and go, cans and boxes. It wasn't that she couldn't cook from scratch with fresh ingredients because she was actually a well trained cook, and her mom was an awesome cook. It was a time issue, and the fact that her work hours didn't need to be forced to change or her idea of always serving hot food either because of the advent of convenience foods. I grew up hating all vegetables except the salads we ate on Sundays which was when she had time to make them.  Otherwise a typical meal was ragu sauce on kraft/mueller spaghetti noodles with a can of Del Monte peas or carrots or green beans on the side. We didn't eat a variety of vegetables either because his business was struggling so it was the typical cans that came cheap, peas, green beans, corn, carrots, and mashed potatoes were made from flakes, margarine was added, and there you go. They also only kept apples in season and oranges in season plus a few bananas for fresh fruit, and then often dumped a can of canned, mixed fruit in a bowl. Since I did not like the canned fruit due to how mushy it was, apples and oranges were the only fruits I ate except when dad and I would go berrying in the summer. He had three patches, deep on state land so they usually weren't raised before we got there because of the serious hike through brush to get through, and we would get wild blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries. I knew where winter berries grew on our favorite trail, and by the time I was eight, dad would like me hike the mile down to the trail by myself to go eat and collect them. 

Once a month dad would save enough money to take us all to the steakhouse. It was such a lifeline. A decent cut of meat cooked correctly, a baked potato, salad bar. 

So my palette was entirely undeveloped when I left home. At 16, I moved to my aunt and uncle's in order to attend college but "live at home" since mom and dad would not sign off on me attending and living in a dorm. Aunt was a real health food fantatic. Don't get excited. It wasn't good. She could not cook anything to save her life, LOL. On top of that, she was a paramedic so she had long shifts and with my elder cousin (18) commuting is back and forth to U of Mi, it was a crazy schedule so we didn't make any attempts either. Aunt apparently had a vendetta against herbs so everything was super bland. Mostly cousin and I just ate a ton of peanut butter sandwiches and salads. They did keep fruit around in great quantity, and that was when I learned that mango is nice.

• Like 6

Oh, and I married a foodie, and had exactly zero idea how on earth to cook for a person with alert taste buds! That poor man suffered through years of bad food, and teaching me to cook. Dh is an excellent chef! Thankfully, I got it figured out before our daughter began eating solid food.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Oh, and I married a foodie, and had exactly zero idea how on earth to cook for a person with alert taste buds! That poor man suffered through years of bad food, and teaching me to cook. Dh is an excellent chef! Thankfully, I got it figured out before our daughter began eating solid food.

Our childhood food memories are eerily similar. 😎

• Like 3

Friday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with soybeans, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, apple, kiwi, guava, pineapple, pear, blueberries, pomegranate, fig, apricot, sour cherries, banana, lemon and lime zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Whole grain pita with leftover taco filling (cauliflower, mushrooms, peppers, onion, garlic, bok choy, corn, pinto beans) and avocado. A Sumo orange.

Dinner - Monkey & Me’s pizza chili (leftovers that were in the freezer) served with brown rice and avocado.

• Like 6

Friday

breakfast- keto blueberry cinnamon crunch granola with coconut yogurt 

dinner- tried a new-to-us Thai place.  Lots of gf options.  Had lemongrass chicken wings as an appetizer.  Thai iced tea with no milk (I don’t think that I will order the iced tea again.  I didn’t realize that it would be sweet.)  Northern yellow curry with tofu and ground pork and peanuts (I think).  Pink rice vermicelli which apparently is made pink by a form of bean paste.  Mung beans.  

two eggs before bedtime

• Like 5

Friday

Breakfast: steel cut oats with rais8ns and almond milk

Lunch: coleslaw, grape tomatoes

Dinner: banana and mandarin oranges

I've been taking bites here and there of things I haven't had in two months like chips and chocolate, a couple bites of ice cream. My stomach has absolutely rebelled against this and hurts so bad. Hence, just having fruit for dinner. I'm super happy, though. The results are in for the weight loss challenge and I won 1st place.

• Like 7

Yesterday was a light day. It was my last work day to help dd, and we leave here in a few minutes. I won't be back until late April, early May. 😥

I had a small amount of oatmeal with cranberries at breakfast. As I made a second pot of coffee aware that as the grandsons were bouncing off the walls as thunder rolled and we could not toss them outside, I was aware that a third pot was a possibility and this thought popped into my head, "Once you start down the dark path, it will forever dominate your destiny." Yoda, little did he know that the dark side of the force was a beverage. 😁

Lunch was a bowl of leftover veggie soup and a biscuit.

Dinner was another bowl, the last one, of veggie soup.

Now I am packing up while the grandkids eat pancakes and fruit.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I spent Friday with the kids again and did pretty well with food.

Breakfast--Gf muffin and a banana. Tea (S).

Lunch--eggs and Spanish rice and an orange

Dinner--Homemade chicken soup (just chicken and veg and broth). Also some df vanilla yogurt.

Snack--Mindlessly snacked on a handful of chips (half a snack-bag left out), followed by a clementine in the afternoon. I had gone to the kids' house at 7am and didn't return home until after 9pm. Coinciding with this is that the TMJ doctor told me on Thursday I could wear my retainer only at night from here on out, so when I got home dh had made me some celebratory popcorn (because I'm allowed to eat crunchy food again). Enjoyed the treat in front of a lovely fire in the fireplace. I'm trying to get away from night snacking, but this was an indulgence I definitely appreciated.

• Like 5

Popping my head in here. 

After a very busy period, my eating has gotten out of whack. I had to adjust my meal times because my schedule changed. Things are still busier and I don't/won't have a set schedule but things have calmed down considerably and I've figured out a new breakfast time that works. Now that things aren't quite as crazy I've been working on steering my food back to healthier choices. I'm currently focusing on food quality. I do need to eat less as I've put on about 5 lbs- too much stress, food all out of whack, and a pack of steroids in there too was not helpful but I'm focusing on quality first.

My goals-- (1) more fruit and veggies (2) minimal processed/non-homemade food (3) less snacking  - I'm aiming for 3 meals and a fair size afternoon snack (4) drink more water-- I'm not drinking enough-- it's not that I'm drinking other things as I'm not a soda or coffee drinker (occasional hot herbal tea)-- I'm just not drinking enough period. I know part of my I feel hungry feels are because I don't drink enough.

b: 1 egg/1 bacon/1 small gf nut seed toast; raspberries/blueberries/soy milk/halfish serving greek yogurt and small serving of homemade granola ( quinoa flakes, walnuts, pecans, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, unsweetened coconut, Olive oil + maple syrup (amounts cut in half)

{I rarely eat bacon- especially the regular kind but I made some for dh and made myself an extra piece}

l: leftover salmon + broccoli+ roasted sweet potatoes; dark choc

afternoon snack: ? homade popcorn with nut. yeast + cuties and nut/seed protein bar

dinner: homemade pasta e' fagioli soup (with gf chickpea noodles); homemade apple crisp ? 

-----------------------------------------------

I really like the idea of going for eating the rainbow but when I tried the app it was cumbersome to operate so I'm using the daily dozen app again.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 6

Saturday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with vaquero beans, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, Galia melon, pineapple, banana, kiwi, guava, passion fruit, fig, apricot, sour cherries, pomegranate, blueberries, lemon and lime zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, pinto beans, cauliflower, peppers, onions, garlic, mushrooms, zucchini, beets, mixed raw nuts, sesame peanut dressing. A Sumo orange.

Dinner - An artichoke and a bowl of Monkey & Me’s Thai Curry Brussels Sprout Soup. I threw in some of my usual extras (mushrooms, tofu) and served it over brown rice.

Dessert - Vanilla black walnut banana nice cream with cacao nibs and shredded coconut.

• Like 6

Saturday

Breakfast--low-sugar granola with milkadamia and a banana, also decaf tea (NS)

Lunch--leftover chicken thigh with mushroom/onion pan sauce, also grapes

Snack--a tiny sandwich on gf flatbread. This bread was ideal--super-thin pita pocket so that I could have the taste of bread without a ton of bulk. Also had some dark chocolate with almonds.

Dinner--Spicy fish with peppers and onions and cannelli beans, also homemade guacamole with tortilla chips

• Like 5

I always find it fascinating how people ate in their youth, as it varies so much by family dynamics and location. I grew up in the rural Midwest, before fast food places were common. I was raised on meat, potatoes and over cooked vegetables. In the summer, my mom grew lettuce, but it was always served with a warm bacon dressing. We often got field corn from farmers, which was probably the freshest -though cringeworthy - food we ate. My mom had coffee with her friends every afternoon, generally at a local doughnut shop. My sister and I often walked there after school so  we could get a doughnut. My DH grew up in the same town and was raised on similar foods. My mother, aunts and grandma were really good cooks, they just over cooked everything and it was meat centered. My mother in law, though, was/is a horrible cook! I think my DH grew up living on Little Debbie snack cakes, as that was the only decent food he had access to. LOL He still loves that sort of food. In fact, his breakfast of choice is a Mountain Dew and a brownie from the local convenience store. Yes. He is watching the Dr Fuhrman videos with me. He is finding them interesting and he loves the meals I make. He just, on his own, doesn’t eat that way. Sigh. He is active and not overweight, so he justifies his meal choices with that. 

I started making Dr Fuhrman’s no oil walnut salad dressing last week and Wow. DH and I have both said we will never go back to store bought. I always bought organic, mostly healthy salad dressings, but still - store bought. Now there is no going back. LOL

My winter garden has taken off and I have been able to harvest 1-2 nice portions of salad greens a day for the past few weeks. Spring is in the air here and my fruit trees/shrubs and berries are starting to leaf out. I know it will be another year or two before I get much to harvest, but it is so nice to see the garden coming together. Last summer was brutal for keeping anything alive, let alone a dozen newly planted fruit trees. 

• Like 6

Saturday 

dinner- a wedding reception where they had a taco bar;  corn tortilla, black beans, barbacoa, Spanish rice, cilantro, radishes, red onions, lime,;  tortilla chips, dolma (grape leaves stuffed with rice and mint)

two eggs before bedtime

• Like 5

Beluga lentils, cold-smoked salmon, a slice of whole rye bread, greens and lemon juice

More beluga lentils, leftover turkey meatballs and bok choi

Zillion-veggie soup and tabouli-ish salad

Dh returned from the South where for two weeks he eats maybe some iceberg lettuce and potatoes and that's it for veggies.  Ds is also visiting who declared he had been veggie-free for days and needed some greens.  So we ate the entire rainbow from the fridge in the form of soup and grain salad and everyone was happy.

• Like 6

Travel day yesterday, and we were so busy with grandkids, we didn't get any shopping done for food to take. Ugh. So we declared war on the coffee bean industry, won all three skirmishes, powered through on a couple of boiled eggs and two apples from a truck stop and made it to our nephew's home where we were laying over for the night.

Dear, darling nephew had a beef, teriyaki veggie stir fry and steamed broccoli waiting for us! Gluten free too. He is such a sweet boy! (I probably should not say boy. He was born when dh was 17, so he is 41! 😂😂😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with beluga lentils, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, banana, kiwi, guava, apple, pear, fig, apricot, sour cherries, pomegranate, blueberries, lemon and lime zest, passion fruit, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, pineapple, Galia melon, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, seaweed, tofu, carrots, tomato, mushrooms, beets, zucchini, summer squash, jungle peanuts, Brazil nuts, sesame seeds, garlic, cashew queso for dressing (Shane & Simple recipe). A Sumo orange.

Dinner - An artichoke and a bowl of Thai curry Brussels sprouts soup served over buckwheat groats. Galia melon.

• Like 4

Sunday 

dinner- rotisserie chicken, brown rice with peas, carrots, red bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, black beans; chocolate with raspberries 

two eggs before bedtime

• Like 4

Today: Nephew, a smart smart beautiful man, Assisinated some extra nice coffee beans to start our day. We ate some scrambled eggs and then shared out for home.

Didn't bother to stop for lunch, and grocery stopped on the way. So when we got home we had veggies, hummus, and baked potatoes with sour cream and chives.

• Like 4