Menu

Preschool mystery book reader

Terabith

10 minutes ago, BandH said:

I'm assuming this is a "mystery reader" not a person reading "mystery books".

Pet Show by Ezra Jack Keats has a cat and a little bit of mystery.  It might be long for your class of very young 3's though, especially when they are distracted by an actual cat!

Yeah, honestly, I don’t think it makes sense for my class to have a mystery reader.  Our attention spans are too short for ANY book, really, in a group, even without a cat.  Probably the older two classes and cat might just visit other classrooms.  

2 hours ago, MercyA said:

Richard Scarry's The Supermarket Mystery, The Great Steamboat Mystery, or The Great Pie Robbery. One of the detectives in each book is a cat. Love these!!!

Yeah, the book definitely doesn’t have to be a mystery. It’s just who is going to come and read to the kids that’s a mystery.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been racking my brains since I saw the thread title for mystery novels suitable for precocious readers!

Then I got confused, and through you and your dh read to cats, and that the cat likes mystery novels, but because he/she is a cat, the reading level is preschool.  This made sense in a strange way? I though you harnessed the cat for story time otherwise he or she wouldn't sit for the story....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Yeah, the book definitely doesn’t have to be a mystery. It’s just who is going to come and read to the kids that’s a mystery.  

Ah. I missed that. Obviously.

In that case, here are some of my family's favorites:

Kittens Are Like That

The Little Kitten by Judy Dunn

The Four Little Kittens (a Golden Book)

Six-Dinner Sid

Where Is That Cat?

Fishhead

Only the Cat Saw (has an illustration of a breast-feeding momma, just FYI)

• Thanks 1

In my experience toddlers like a mix of super familiar and new, so  if I was asking them to listen in a group (a really new skill for 2 and 3 year olds) in the presence of a harnessed cat (even newer!) and their teachers husband (kind of a mind blowing concept) I would have him read a familiar book.

When my kids were that age Brown Bear was a beloved book with a cat, as was Goodnight Moon so I would pick one of those.  But pick whatever your kids know well.  Then I would modify the book so that the picture of the purple cat was a picture of Aslan or the “two little kittens” were your kittens, because that would be a fun surprise!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1