Menu

President Jimmy Carter is on hospice

Storygirl

I wish peace and comfort for his family. I've been dreading this. Recently my grandparents and so many of their circle and generation have passed away, and to me, he's very much a part of that circle even if a distant part. He's so well respected even by those who disagreed with him in the governor's and president's office. I hope we can learn from his example.

• Like 5

I was just reading about the amazing immunology treatment he receive for cancer in his liver and brain. I highlighted that portion so I could investigate that more thoroughly. It’s fascinating! 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Quill said:

I was just reading about the amazing immunology treatment he receive for cancer in his liver and brain. I highlighted that portion so I could investigate that more thoroughly. It’s fascinating! 

I believe he received pembrolizumab, brand name Keytruda. It's one of several immune checkpoint inhibitors. Others I'm aware of are ipilimumab (Yervoy) and nivolumab (Opdivo). There are three or four others, but those are the ones I'm familiar with. They can truly be game changers in cancer treatment for some patients. If there are no auto-immune side effects then they're generally easy to tolerate. Unfortunately, like many cancer drugs they only work for some people, and when AI side effects do occur they're often not reversible. On the cancer board I belong to there are people who have T1D, RA and other AI diseases due to ICIs. But still . . better to live with those than die from cancer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Quill said:

My cousin just completed Keytruda for melanoma (stage 3, I think). She responded well, and it may have saved her life, since melanoma has in the past had a very poor outcome statistically.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Storygirl said:

My cousin just completed Keytruda for melanoma (stage 3, I think). She responded well, and it may have saved her life, since melanoma has in the past had a very poor outcome statistically.

That’s fascinating to me! And yes, I know people who have declined rapidly from melanoma. It’s not an easy cancer to beat. 

• Like 1