Menu

Your favorite YouTube subscriptions……

Indigo Blue

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark Rober

1dgs and I watched the guy making chocolate.  the videos are short, <5 minutes.  It helped him relax so he could go to sleep.

2dgs LOVED "snowplow trains".  I liked them because they were calmer than all the train videos aimed at kids that just make them wired.  The one they were clearing trees from the tracks was fun.  An experienced train driver training a new one: "hit her hard".

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Clarita said:

Also not a specific channel but I love watching those power washing videos, like when they power wash carpet or concrete.

The guys who do free yard clean-ups.  They usually pick one that is really bad - they post them as "advertising" of what they can do, and how much of a difference it can make.  They've also helped those without means be able to avoid fines because they can't clean-up their yards.

I like this guy for carpet cleaning

LUBUSKIE CENTRUM CZYSTOŚCI 

he recently got a "vibrator" to put the carpets through before he cleans them.  One had *a lot* of dirt come out of it before he even started washing it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

The guys who do free yard clean-ups.  They usually pick one that is really bad - they post them as "advertising" of what they can do, and how much of a difference it can make.  They've also helped those without means be able to avoid fines because they can't clean-up their yards.

he recently got a "vibrator" to put the carpets through before he cleans them.  One had *a lot* of dirt come out of it before he even started washing it.

Yes!  I watch those, too.   Clearly I like repetition.   

• Like 2

On 2/10/2023 at 1:43 PM, Amira said:

That is a gorgeous plov.  I've never tried one that big!  I just stick with my cast iron pan, but it works nicely.

For some reason, the tahdig/crust was not a thing in Kyrgyzstan.  I have no idea why the best part of plov was lost there, but everyone else who does plov/pilau/pulao does a great tahdig.

So as I was hoping to do, I made a variation of Aziza's Shakh Pilaf yesterday.

However, despite marketing at a place Sunday that has lavash bread from many bakeries, I had the perverse notion  that I wanted to do a "Mexican fusion" version of this dish, so I got some soft flour tortillas to use instead.

And I browned and stewed chicken thighs (instead of using lamb) with plenty of onions, garlic, a strained puree of Guajillo and Árbol chilies, fresh Serrano chile, fresh cilantro, other herbs and spices, and toward the end I added a generous amount of golden raisins (sultanas).

I soaked Basmati rice, then boiled until just tender in salty water and rained. Then poured some reconstituted "American/Mexican saffron" (really safflower, which Aziza also uses) irregularly through the rice to give a saffron-like color.

We have a Le Creuset enameled cast iron pot that was the perfect size (for us). I used a combination of olive oil and melted butter to oil the pan and liberally brushed the tortillas with the same. Took one on "bottom" (which when inverted become the "top" (or the crown), 4 overlapping the sides (and the bottom an top), and one more to seal on top. Then baked for one hour at 375.

I wish I'd taken a better photograph (but the lighting was dim). I've "enhanced" the shot to give a better estimation. It did get the "What's that" and "Oh wow!" reactions I was hoping for.

And the eating? OMG! Delicious.

Despite many "Mexican" ingredients, still read as a ethnically ambiguous dish. But so good.

@Indigo Blue

GCZzUH9.jpg

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

So as I was hoping to do, I made a variation of Aziza's Shakh Pilaf yesterday.

However, despite marketing at a place Sunday that has lavash bread from many bakeries, I had the perverse notion  that I wanted to do a "Mexican fusion" version of this dish, so I got some soft flour tortillas to use instead.

And I browned and stewed chicken thighs (instead of using lamb) with plenty of onions, garlic, a strained puree of Guajillo and Árbol chilies, fresh Serrano chile, fresh cilantro, other herbs and spices, and toward the end I added a generous amount of golden raisins (sultanas).

I soaked Basmati rice, then boiled until just tender in salty water and rained. Then poured some reconstituted "American/Mexican saffron" (really safflower, which Aziza also uses) irregularly through the rice to give a saffron-like color.

We have a Le Creuset enameled cast iron pot that was the perfect size (for us). I used a combination of olive oil and melted butter to oil the pan and liberally brushed the tortillas with the same. Took one on "bottom" (which when inverted become the "top" (or the crown), 4 overlapping the sides (and the bottom an top), and one more to seal on top. Then baked for one hour at 375.

I wish I'd taken a better photograph (but the lighting was dim). I've "enhanced" the shot to give a better estimation. It did get the "What's that" and "Oh wow!" reactions I was hoping for.

And the eating? OMG! Delicious.

Despite many "Mexican" ingredients, still read as a ethnically ambiguous dish. But so good.

@Indigo Blue

GCZzUH9.jpg

Bill

It's gorgeous and looks delicious too.  I can't quite bring myself to call it plov (ethnically ambiguous is too true), but I'd still love to eat this.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Amira said:

It's gorgeous and looks delicious too.  I can't quite bring myself to call it plov (ethnically ambiguous is too true), but I'd still love to eat this.

My wife, who originally said, "small portion for me, I'm not too hungry" eventually had thirds. LOL

I will revisit this concept.

Bill 

• Like 3

I have an odd mix. I only watch YouTube for 30 minutes before bed, not every night, but occasionally I have a binge night. Most of what I watch is for pure relaxation purposes. Here's a sampling:

Bob and Brad - whenever I have pain I head here

Dr. Brandon Beaber - neurologist MS

Aaron Boster, MD - neurologist MS

English Heritage - I especially love the  Victorian cooking videos with Mrs. Crocombe

MS Workouts - I guess it's obvious I have MS 🙂

emmymade - I just love her personality! 

Jenny Can Cook - easy bread recipes got me through the pandemic

Townsends - love seeing how cooking was done in the past

Steve1989MREInfo - he eats MREs from all over the world, even really old ones! 

Maison Olivia - relaxing cake/pastry/drink making videos

Shu and Tree - dog grooming - the dogs all end up looking similar but it's oddly relaxing. 

Nami's life - I'm a bit jealous of her ordered life lol

Yoga with Adriene - I think I found her channel from a recommendation here

Safiya Nygaard - silly videos, like mixing every lip gloss from Sephora, visiting a cheese theme park in South Korea, etc... I like her quirky personality.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/11/2023 at 5:28 PM, gardenmom5 said:

I watch those, too. Also, car detailing.😁

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Oh and @Amira while I understand you point about the lack of tahdig/crust (which local Persians would side with you) the crunch of the lavask (or in my case flour tortillas) does serve a similar role.

Bill

Yes, I've also made a crust with potatoes (which is delicious) in addition to flatbread. Anything for a crust, even it's from flour tortillas. 

• Like 2

I have a weird obsession with sailing channels, so for those:

Gone with the Wynns

Project Atticus

Sailing Magic Carpet

Sailing Uma

Then the homesteaders/gardeners:

Simple Living Alaska

MIGardener

Wild Wonderful Off-Grid

The Seasonal Homestead

Epic Gardening

Living Traditions Homestead

Acre Homestead

No-Till Growers

Miscellaneous:

Vino Farm (beekeeping) 

Townsend (historical living) 

Mark Rober & Mr Beast (clean fun my kids like) 

Holderness Family

I also love the videos of antiques being completely restored. My whole family will get sucked in if I put one of those on TV. 

Edited by MeaganS
  • Like 2

DD and I now watch Missouri Star Quilt Company videos at night before bed. Very soothing and the triple play with the three people are fun. it's reallly neat to see how the video editing and the people themselves have changed over the 15 years they've been filming! I love her "finished is better than perfect" and "I'm not going to DIE over it" when she makes a mistake. 

I even ended up getting her memoir which was fascinating - she is LDS and has 7 kids, one was adopted and is actually her nephew, was married twice once to an abuser, homeschooled for a while in california, they were DIRT poor at times, etc....and now have this giant company featured in Forbes magazine. When they started they had literally a long arm quilt machine bought by her kids and two bolts of fabric just to make them look more official. 

When asked how her life has changed now that they are "famous" and she has money she says, "I can buy whatever I want at the grocery store". Which yup, is how a mom measures wealth, for sure! 

I will say, there are points in the story where I was like, "GO GET FOOD STAMPS", very similar to my reactions to parts of the Little House on the Prairie books. I don't agree with all their decisions. But I do think there is a lot of love in that family, and I think she has a very practical, upbeat approach to life I enjoy. She's changed lives with her quilting videos, which isn't something everyone can say!

• Like 1

@Amira

Using potatoes as a "crust" struck me as idea that couldn't wait, so I sliced some potatoes very thinly, blanched them briefly. Drained. Then doused with a mix of melted butter and olive oil. Then layered in a French tart tin (that was a recent Christmas gift from Mrs Spy Car 🥰 ).

The herb is the famous "biblical hyssop" (which as you likely know if the main herb in Za'atar) from my garden.

Now doing a quick "pre-bake" and tonight I will add sauteed greens (locally-sourced dandelion :tongue: ) and feta and eggs for a final bake.

Thanks for giving me the inspiration.

zfX0CrG.jpg

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

@Amira

Using potatoes as a "crust" struck me as idea that couldn't wait, so I sliced some potatoes very thinly, blanched them briefly. Drained. Then doused with a mix of melted butter and olive oil. Then layered in a French tart tin (that was a recent Christmas gift from Mrs Spy Car 🥰 ).

The herb is the famous "biblical hyssop" (which as you likely know if the main herb in Za'atar) from my garden.

Now doing a quick "pre-bake" and tonight I will add sauteed greens (locally-sourced dandelion :tongue: ) and feta and eggs for a final bake.

Thanks for giving me the inspiration.

zfX0CrG.jpg

Bill

That looks like it’ll be amazing.  I have a recipe for an apple pie with a potato crust that I love. It’s so tender.

The potato crust/tahdig I’ve done for plov/pulao are also really good, with the potato slices fried in butter and then the pulao cooked and steamed over the potatoes like a regular pulao.  Yogurt and egg makes another really good tahdig.  

• Like 2

Just now, Amira said:

That looks like it’ll be amazing.  I have a recipe for an apple pie with a potato crust that I love. It’s so tender.

The potato crust/tahdig I’ve done for plov/pulao are also really good, with the potato slices fried in butter and then the pulao cooked and steamed over the potatoes like a regular pulao.  Yogurt and egg makes another really good tahdig.  

I'd watch your YouTube channel.

Bill

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

I’d watch hers and yours, too! Potato crust sounds good.

I'll let you know. The pre-bake is almost done. Looks so good i can hardly wait until tonight.

Bill

Edited to add the pre-baked crust:

ZR40W3O.jpg

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Amira

So still getting my potato crust technique down. When I inverted my onion-dandelion-feta-egg tart last night I discovered the crust was just a touch under done, "cooked" but not golden brown.

Just then Mrs Spy Car--who was expected momentarily--called to say she was running a bit late, so I turned this into an asset by turning it onto some foil and roasting at 450 f until she got home.

Not the prettiest picture, but it was quite tasty.

Next time I learn to do a longer pre-bake and/or use a hotter oven. 

MxuT4vy.jpg

Thanks again for the inspiration.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

@Amira

So still getting my potato crust technique down. When I inverted my onion-dandelion-feta-egg tart last night I discovered the crust was just a touch under done, "cooked" but not golden brown.

Just then Mrs Spy Car--who was expected momentarily--called to say she was running a bit late, so I turned this into an asset by turning it onto some foil and roasting at 450 f until she got home.

Not the prettiest picture, but it was quite tasty.

Next time I learn to do a longer pre-bake and/or use a hotter oven. 

MxuT4vy.jpg

Thanks again for the inspiration.

Bill

Was it at all similar to the spanokopita?

2 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

I was wondering how it turned out and if Mrs. Spycar liked it. 

It was a hit with Mrs Spy Car, and it was "mum's the word" on her last minute lateness working to my culinary advantage.

2 hours ago, Amira said:

It looks delicious!  And it's nice when experiments taste good.

I was too cautious about not overcooking the "crust" that I went the other way. Lesson learned. I will build on the experience.

1 hour ago, Indigo Blue said:

Was it at all similar to the spanokopita?

The filling was precisely the same. The layer of greens was much thinner and with the potato crust "up," and--critically--it looked "different."

How many ways can one serve locally-sourced organic baby greens (read: "weeds" from the garden) before one starts hearing, "that again?" :tongue:

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

@Indigo Blue

OMG.

Just when I was running out of ways to use up the dandelions in my yard, I discover Aziza making Dandelion Flower Jam. I swear!

It happens to be the only example of her food preparation I've seen that makes no sense to me, but...

One simply can't make this sort of stuff up.

Bill 

Oh, wow!! Must be one of her older videos? You gotta make that! I had no idea you could do that! I will watch this later. I bet she’s going to make two gallons, lol!! 

1 minute ago, Indigo Blue said:

@Spy CarI watched the video. I don’t get how the liquidy consistency in the two jars becomes jam. The ingredients look like it would be a good-tasting recipe. Maybe they don’t show the rest of the jam-making process? She had lots of dandelions! 

My bet is that she snuck in some sugar when we were not looking (or the camera wasn't rolling).

Bill

• Like 1

That’s how jam is done there. I make fruit jams that way after living in Kyrgyzstan. She added a lot of sugar and cooked it for a long time, so that’s how it jells. I don’t like that much sugar or that long of a cooking time, so my jam is really runny.

People would give us raspberry jam made like this when we had colds because that was supposed to help us get better.  I don’t know if it did, but I didn’t care because the jam made it worth being sick.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

You were too busy staring and drooling to notice, weren't you?

There are lots of recipes for dandelion jam, cordial and bikkies on the internet. I don't have enough flowers yet to have tried making any though. 😞

I only watched it 3 times looking for "sugar." D'oh.

If I allow all my dandelions to flower, as I did initially during "lockdown" (as a matter of survival), the chances of them going to seed, means years of free food.

Hmm.

Bill

7 minutes ago, BandH said:

Also Baby Chef needs to make spaghetti ice cream.  

Dd's bestie's family are also Beryl fangirls and boys. We eat at their place every Friday and I am responsible for the ice cream. It was a glorious evening, the time we were inspired by Beryl's ice cream vid. One of the small brothers still mentions the "spaghetti" ice cream occasionally. 🙂

My brother believes we need to experiment with more brands of chilli sauce. The one we tried tasted like vinegar. Vinegar with ice cream isn't something I need.