Menu

I need helping choosing a book for one of my library's reading challenges

stephanier.1765

The challenge is to choose a book from a genre you don't usually read. The genres I can think of offhand that I don't normally read are horror (I hate being scared), romance (not a fan of sex scenes) and mystery (which I do read occasionally but usually stick to my favorite genres). If anyone knows of a horror that won't give me nightmares, a romance without the sex scenes, or a mystery that you can recommend, I would be very grateful. This is a good challenge for me because I do find myself choosing the same genres over and over again and expanding outside that would be a nice change of pace.

WRT romances, most all Christian romances are sex scene free; I like Terri Blackstock (suspenseful romance) and Kristi Ann Hunter (regency romance). As well, Debbie Macomber's books are generally free of sex scenes, and she's a popular and prolific author.  Also, Georgette Heyer's regency romances are some of my favorites, and they are likewise free of sex scenes.

WRT mysteries, I really like Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe mysteries, and I also like Agatha Christie, esp the ones with Miss Marple (Sleeping Murder and The Tuesday Club Murders are my favs).  I also like the Jane Austen mysteries, by Stephanie Barron.

• Like 3

clean romance:  You only die twice - Brynn Kelly(hilarious too, also a mystery series), Meet me in the margins by Melissa Furgeson 

Spotless by Camilia Monk (hilarious series, my favorite! it's clean, but each chapter starts with a hilarious pretend quote from a romance book and the quote is r-rated, if listening on audible, not in front of kids..just because of the pretend quotes) 

Mystery:  funny mystery- Finley Donovan is killing it by Elle Cosimono ( a series, really funny).  Miss Julia series by Anne B. Ross , Cat got your diamonds by Julia Chase (Kitty couture series) 

Horror:  not my genre, either...but maybe... "Siren" by Kierra cass (it's actually a young adult book, so not too scary)  , The Scorpio races by  Maggie Stiefvater (sea horse legend, a bit scary, young adult)  Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (not as grusome as the movie, good writing )

Steven King- The DeadZone 

Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult , has ghosts, mystery and really stayed with me. I don't usually read her, she sticks a knife in your emotions, in my opinion, but I liked this one. 

Edited by Hen
  • Like 1

I am currently reading a suspense novel called “The Old Man” by Thomas Perry.  It’s not too violent and it’s not too sexual.  I am enjoying it.  It’s not a genre I dislike, but it’s not a genre I often read, either.  

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 1

If you haven’t read the Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries, they are a pleasure.  The author is Dorothy L. Sayers who has written a treatise about homeschooling.  The heroine of these novels is Harriet Vane, which is the name of a poster here. 

Well, the estate gave permission to an author to continue the series, and these are novels by Jill Patton Walsh.  I think they are great!  I especially like “The Late Scholar.”  

Edit:  and Gaudy Night by Dorothy L. Sayers.  That is my favorite and “The Late Scholar” is a tribute to “Gaudy Night” I think.  

I couldn’t remember it before but she wrote an essay called “The Lost Tools of Learning” about classical education.  

I do also like Agatha Christie.  

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 2

The Louise Penny Three Pines mysteries are good.  They're really strong on characterization.  However, I would not characterize them as squeaky clean, mostly because of the language.  If you're looking for a mystery with good characterization, though, those will fit the bill. 

• Like 1

I recently flew through the first three books in the Thursday Murder Club series by Richard Osman. They are mostly clean, kind of a cozy English mystery vibe but way more fun and modern, less formulaic. The characters are well-drawn, a bit over the top at times, but also dealing with issues that many people can relate to (family, aging, illness, dating, etc). Highly recommend!

• Like 3

You guys really are awesome! I'm making a list of your suggestions because so many look so good that I'm probably going to be reading these genres for the next few months. LOL Well these and the books for the rest of the challenges. I'm going to earn me that swag bag, by golly. I almost feel like a kid again participating in the library's summer reading program.

• Like 4

I enjoyed the Hillary Clinton/Louise Penny book that would fit the mystery genre for you.  

A book I enjoyed recently in the romance category was The Bride Test.  It did have a few sex scenes, but I think they could be skipped without losing anything.  Interesting because the main character is autistic, and it's a different perspective than the usual romance.

Edited by Zinnia2
  • Like 2