Menu

Uses for lovely illustrations from destroyed books?

Laura Corin

My mum collected first editions of books illustrated by Arthur Rackham. Her house became so damp that the covers are actually mouldy, so rather than being worth over a thousand pounds each, they have no monetary worth as volumes.  She would not accept help to fix her house.  I have talked to an antiquarian bookseller about them.

My brothers have no interest in the volumes,   which form part of her legacy. My plan is to - 

- cut off and throw away the covers - they are completely disgusting and uncleanable

- frame some illustrations for one of our own walls

- frame one each for each descendant, so my brothers and their children 

- keep back child-suitable ones to frame and give to any future great grandchildren that Mum never met

Any other ideas?  There are five or six volumes - maybe 50 to 100 plates?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Rackham

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 11

53 minutes ago, Katy said:

I’m under the impression you can treat the mold by freezing the books then wiping them with rubbing alcohol. But the mold will return if the book gets humid again. 

Unfortunately this is no longer a surface issue.  The boards have decayed through and started to disintegrate. There is no surface to wipe.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Sad 2

For a temporary solution, you could put them in photo albums the way we used to store photographs.  Maybe some artistically-inclined person would enjoy having the entire album, or maybe you'd find additional uses for them over time.

If you have time and money, maybe consider framing some for nearby libraries, pediatric wards, or other nonprofit kid-oriented places?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SKL said:

For a temporary solution, you could put them in photo albums the way we used to store photographs.  Maybe some artistically-inclined person would enjoy having the entire album, or maybe you'd find additional uses for them over time.

If you have time and money, maybe consider framing some for nearby libraries, pediatric wards, or other nonprofit kid-oriented places?

A further thought, since there are so many pictures, what about creating a service project for a bunch of young people to frame and donate them to organizations, low income families, etc.?

• Thanks 1

I think your idea is perfect. I personally would not want to cut up the illustrations or sell them piecemeal. I would send photos of the illustrations to family members and allow each to choose their favorite(s) to be framed. I wouldn't necessarily limit the descendants to only one each, as the illustrations would likely look very nice displayed as a small group. If there are any left, they could be saved for future descendants.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1