Menu

Help me figure out math

Terabith

I feel like an idiot.  But I can’t figure this out and it’s driving me crazy.  

We feed our three cats two cans of cat food A in the mornings.  We feed them one can of cat food B in the evening.  My math says I should buy twice as many cans of cat food A.  But I do that and I consistently am running out of cat food A WAY before cat food B. 

Am I an idiot who can’t do math?  Or is something weird happening?  (Someone breaking into our house and stealing cat food A?  My husband screwing up the system?  The cats helping themselves to extra of cat food A?)

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

I feel like an idiot.  But I can’t figure this out and it’s driving me crazy.  

We feed our three cats two cans of cat food A in the mornings.  We feed them one can of cat food B in the evening.  My math says I should buy twice as many cans of cat food A.  But I do that and I consistently am running out of cat food A WAY before cat food B. 

Am I an idiot who can’t do math?  Or is something weird happening?  (Someone breaking into our house and stealing cat food A?  My husband screwing up the system?  The cats helping themselves to extra of cat food A?)

Do you have a family member that would feel sorry for a cat and maybe pop open an extra can when you are not looking?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Or are you gone in the evening and spacing evening feedings?

Or do your grocery store pickups sometimes short you on your preferred A cans because they are out of stock?

Number tag all of the cans with a sharpie and report back after 30 days. We need charts and graphs. 🙂

So, I'm definitely not spacing evening feedings.  Holy crap, I'm not sure how anyone would do that.  The cats DEFINITELY let you know if you're late.  Or even if you're not early.  Also, I take my meds when I feed them in the evenings, and I don't miss doses of meds, so I'm pretty sure they aren't being not fed, and I'm quite sure they're being fed correctly.  

Not grocery store shorting us, because I order from chewy by pallet, and the pallets are packaged by the company.  

20 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Do you have coffee before feeding the cats?

Bill

I don't drink coffee ever, so no.  I always do the evening feedings, but my husband does morning feedings on weekends sometimes.  

1 hour ago, PronghornD said:

Do you have a family member that would feel sorry for a cat and maybe pop open an extra can when you are not looking?

This is definitely a possibility.  We're all kind of suckers.  

16 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I don't drink coffee ever, so no. 

I was about to suggest that was likely your first mistake, however....

I always do the evening feedings, but my husband does morning feedings on weekends sometimes. 

"Occam's razor" right there.

Bill (whose mind reels when pondering a morning without coffee and wondering how people survive that?)

Edited by Spy Car
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

I was about to suggest that was likely your first mistake, however....

I always do the evening feedings, but my husband does morning feedings on weekends sometimes. 

"Occam's razor" right there.

Bill (whose mind reels when pondering a morning without coffee and wondering how people survive that?)

Yeah, but if he, in the mornings, somehow fed Cat Food B instead of Cat Food A, we would be running out of Cat Food B faster.  Not Cat Food A, as we are.  Unless he was doing something wacky like feeding them three cans in the morning?  But he's at least not admitting that if he's doing so.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

I don't like the taste of coffee, unless it has so much cream and sugar that it's not really coffee anymore.  And it kinda makes my stomach hurt.  And caffeine makes my anxiety spike.  

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Yeah, but if he, in the mornings, somehow fed Cat Food B instead of Cat Food A, we would be running out of Cat Food B faster.  Not Cat Food A, as we are.  Unless he was doing something wacky like feeding them three cans in the morning?  But he's at least not admitting that if he's doing so.  

He may require "enhanced" interrogation. If you know what I mean :tongue:

Sorry about the coffee. And I know anxiety is the worst.

(((hugs)))

Bill 

• Like 2

Huh....we have the opposite problem around here. The food we feed in the evening lasts much longer than it should. Like, at Christmas, I figured we'd need more by Jan. 10. Except somehow that food lasted until yesterday.

And there is no way to skip feeding our cat. He just wouldn't let you forget. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BandH said:

So, I have been known to forget whether I fed the dog in the morning, and then feed him again just to be safe.  Is it possible that someone in your family is as scatterbrained as me?  

Why 2 different types?

I guess it's possible that they're being fed twice in the mornings.  It seems unlikely, because they don't always finish their food.  

Two different types because if we feed them the same flavor too much, they'll stop liking it.  Or at least kitty of blessed memory would, and I've just assumed kittens would, too.

3 hours ago, BandH said:

So, I have been known to forget whether I fed the dog in the morning, and then feed him again just to be safe.  Is it possible that someone in your family is as scatterbrained as me?  

Why 2 different types?

I have to take a grand total of one medication, which I take in the morning.

That ought to be simple.

Bill

3 hours ago, Terabith said:

I guess it's possible that they're being fed twice in the mornings.  It seems unlikely, because they don't always finish their food.  

If they don't always finish their food, perhaps they were pretty stuffed from their first breakfast?

Cats aren't Hobbits.

Bill

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Does one kind come in a greater number of cans per package/pallet than the other? So you are ordering the right number of cases, but the number of cans per case is off?

This would be my thought. Some of the brands have been reducing the number of cans in their bulk packs lately, so even if you got flavor X  and flavor Y from the same brand, one might have been 5 packs of 12 and one 5 packs of 10 if they were shipped at different times. 

6 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Does one kind come in a greater number of cans per package/pallet than the other? So you are ordering the right number of cases, but the number of cans per case is off?

It’s two different flavors of friskies cat food.  They ship at the same time and the pallets are the same size. 

My best guess is that we got ahead months ago when I wasn’t doing 95% of the feeding and we have just stayed ahead with one.  I’m going to pay attention this next month and see if we’re ahead by the same amount.