Menu

Cleaning and drying gloves--I must be missing something

cintinative

Something about cleaning and machine drying my son's (men's size) gloves is evading me.  They still smell like dirty feet after washing them, and they take forever and ever to dry.  What am I doing wrong here? I don't have this problem with my gloves/glove liners.  TIA!

We finish drying ours on a forced air vent with one of these mitt/boot racks

We also put them on the rack when damp after wearing.

Waterproof gloves are also dryer-proof.  The waterproofing works both ways, and it's hard to get the moisture out.  The stink loves moisture.  Forcing warm air into the gloves (rack on vent) works really well.

• Like 1

Are they waterproof/resistant on the outside and plush/insulated on the inside?  If so, I suspect the stink is developing from not drying thoroughly.  When I was a kid our house was heated with wood+coal so we'd put the hand opening toward the heat register and let hot, dry, air flow into them but now we have a heat pump and the air doesn't dry them out as quickly.  So, after washing I stick a dry washcloth inside and squeeze to absorb as much water as possible and then I use a hair dryer to blast air into the inside. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selkie said:

I'm no help on the smell, but a glove dryer is nice to have if you often have wet gloves. Ours is a glove and boot dryer and it runs morning, noon, and night in the winter, since we're always coming in from horse chores with wet gloves.

I just saw my friend got one of these. I didn't even know such a thing existed!  

1 hour ago, ChickaDeeDeeDee said:

Are they waterproof/resistant on the outside and plush/insulated on the inside?  If so, I suspect the stink is developing from not drying thoroughly.  When I was a kid our house was heated with wood+coal so we'd put the hand opening toward the heat register and let hot, dry, air flow into them but now we have a heat pump and the air doesn't dry them out as quickly.  So, after washing I stick a dry washcloth inside and squeeze to absorb as much water as possible and then I use a hair dryer to blast air into the inside. 

Yes, and that's my guess too but you would think they would be dry after 120 minutes in the dryer. I could try propping them over our heat vent. I suspect it is just so small inside that there is not enough air flow. Lately I have been having to wash them every other day due to something or other. 

ETA: I am trying to prop them on the heat vent using chopsticks. LOL

Edited by cintinative

7 minutes ago, cintinative said:

can you link it? I am drowning in options.

The plastic one @wathe linked is $27 on Amazon (eeek!) 

Ours is an actual boot/glove dryer that you plug in, not just a rack. I just looked in my Amazon order history and I bought it in 2015 for $55. The price has now gone up to $120! Let me know if you still want the link, but I'm sure you can find one for less then $120. I will say that given the enormous amount of hours we've used our dryer over the past eight years, $55 was a fair price!

Just now, Selkie said:

Ours is an actual boot/glove dryer that you plug in, not just a rack. I just looked in my Amazon order history and I bought it in 2015 for $55. The price has now gone up to $120! Let me know if you still want the link, but I'm sure you can find one for less then $120. I will say that given the enormous amount of hours we've used our dryer over the past eight years, $55 was a fair price!

Sure! We don't have that kind of money at the moment but it sounds like it will be a worthwhile investment. 

35 minutes ago, Arctic Bunny said:

I wonder if it’s the polyurethane coating and the dryer that didn’t mix well and caused it? Trying to think if I’ve washed and dried anything like that!

I think they just don't ever dry inside and so they get that funky smell. I am trying them in front of our dehumidifier, and then we might try macguyvering something with PVC/cardboard with holes over an air vent.  

A friend did send me a link to an electric one from Costco that is similar to Selkie's but much cheaper, but there are comments about it not really blowing air.

I think this might be more of a preventative thing.  We have to be very careful to dry gloves and mittens fully between uses.  We are a ski family so for 6 months of the year, there are sweat-soaked gloves/mittens every day.  We don't have a handy gadget to set them up over a heat vent as all of our heat vents are inaccessible anyway, but simply folding back the cuffs so that air can access the inside and them laying them somewhere until they fully dry every single time helps.  They do still get funky over time so whenever they go for a wash, I soak them in sport wash (or any enzyme-based detergent) for a good 12+ hours, then wash as usual.  I would not put them in the dryer at all as most have materials that probably should not be cooked and even if not, the dryer will bake in any funk and you will never get it out.

• Like 1