Menu

Favorite Algebra 1&2 resources/curriculum

Nm.

3 hours ago, 8filltheheart said:

I use MUS alg and geo for pre-alg and pre-geo. I love Foerster's for alg 1 & 2.

I think I have those two MUS programs.  What would I need for Foeresters ?  Is it much different than jacobs?

22 minutes ago, Lovinglife123 said:

I think I have those two MUS programs.  What would I need for Foeresters ?  Is it much different than jacobs?

The text and a solutions manual if you want worked out solutions.  I think you can get both from Math Without Borders.  Algebra 1 | Math Without Borders  In terms of differences between Foerster's and Jacobs, not sure over all.  Jacobs starts off more gently with pre-alg review.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2023 at 8:18 PM, Lovinglife123 said:

Is it much different than jacobs?

Foerster's book has a bit more emphasis on word problems and the writing style is a bit more mature than Jacobs. It seems to be just a bit more advanced as well, covering things like quadratic equations earlier than Jacobs but leaving functions until later

Dolciani is my favorite. But I also really like Jacob's and also have Foersters. That is the order I like them in. I let the kids pick between these three because they are all great quality, equal in my opinion, but a little different presentation. However, I am using MEP for my 13 yr old. We love it but it is integrated.

• 1 month later...
On 1/31/2023 at 2:17 PM, Janeway said:

Dolciani is my favorite. But I also really like Jacob's and also have Foersters. That is the order I like them in. I let the kids pick between these three because they are all great quality, equal in my opinion, but a little different presentation. However, I am using MEP for my 13 yr old. We love it but it is integrated.

I am looking into Algebra 1 options, and see that you are using MEP for this. I'm currently considering Foersters after my son completes MM7.

Which MEP levels (years) would you say roughly correspond to Algebra 1? I am assuming it would be covered over a number of levels, as the MEP curriculum is integrated.

Thank you 🙂

13 hours ago, A.M. said:

I am looking into Algebra 1 options, and see that you are using MEP for this. I'm currently considering Foersters after my son completes MM7.

Which MEP levels (years) would you say roughly correspond to Algebra 1? I am assuming it would be covered over a number of levels, as the MEP curriculum is integrated.

Thank you 🙂

I am unsure. I know someone told us this before. I have been considering switching to American math after we finish 9 and I will see if he needs algebra 1 or not. I suspect he will test out of Algebra one and then breeze through geometry.  I am on a FB group for MEP and when I tried to ask that question, everyone told me to just continue on with MEP, not switch. So it must have been here that someone posted it. However, my son wants to be an engineer and he is ahead in math anyway so I figured we have plenty of time to do all of MEP through 9 before switching.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, A.M. said:

Thank you 🙂

You may find this thread helpful...

On 1/24/2023 at 2:42 PM, Momto6inIN said:

We go from MM 7 to Video Text. It's the only curriculum we haven't changed since I began hs'ing 😊 I wish I'd been taught math this way and I finally learned why instead of just "do this".

I don't want to derail the thread, but do you think it is at all possible to start anywhere but the beginning for a student who has already completed Algebra 1?  I know that the publishers don't suggest it.  But from someone who has used it, could a student at least start in Module C without having to go to the very beginning?  I know it would at least depend on what topics they had already learned before.  

The reason I ask is that I am thinking of starting a younger child who has only been through pre-algebra.  But I am also considering using it with an older child who has been through Algebra 1 and Geometry.  He would be pretty demoralized if he had to start in the same place as his younger sister.

3 hours ago, KeriJ said:

I don't want to derail the thread, but do you think it is at all possible to start anywhere but the beginning for a student who has already completed Algebra 1?  I know that the publishers don't suggest it.  But from someone who has used it, could a student at least start in Module C without having to go to the very beginning?  I know it would at least depend on what topics they had already learned before.  

The reason I ask is that I am thinking of starting a younger child who has only been through pre-algebra.  But I am also considering using it with an older child who has been through Algebra 1 and Geometry.  He would be pretty demoralized if he had to start in the same place as his younger sister.

I'm not sure ... maybe? I think you could safely skip Module A if he is rock solid on arithmetic, fractions, etc. I'd have to check the manual again to see if there's anything else.

Not sure on Module B. You'd definitely have to watch with him (which I recommend anyway) and see if he understands the underlying concepts and the VT "lingo" so to speak of how they explain things. They are explained a little differently and if you jump in a little bit later it could be confusing. Honestly I'm so used to the lingo by now after 4 times through the program that I might not even realize at this point that it's unique to VT lol!

You could maybe have him do the quizzes and tests from Module B to see if he can pass those. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Janeway said:

I am unsure. I know someone told us this before. I have been considering switching to American math after we finish 9 and I will see if he needs algebra 1 or not. I suspect he will test out of Algebra one and then breeze through geometry.  I am on a FB group for MEP and when I tried to ask that question, everyone told me to just continue on with MEP, not switch. So it must have been here that someone posted it. However, my son wants to be an engineer and he is ahead in math anyway so I figured we have plenty of time to do all of MEP through 9 before switching.

Thank you. I think I might have to sit and compare MEP and Foerster algebra 1 in detail to find out how they match. My first impression from having had a quick look at MEP maths 9 is that Foerster algebra 1 goes deeper in algebra topics, whereas MEP covers other topics such as some geometry, trig, and statistics.

I was hoping to find someone who has done a detailed comparison already 🙂

On 3/30/2023 at 8:12 PM, A.M. said:

Thank you 🙂

I found this... 

Upper Years of MEP Separated by Subject

MEP is integrated, meaning all the branches of mathematics typically studied by high schoolers or upper grades are combined and spread out over several years. If you continue MEP as written, you may write “Integrated Mathematics I, II, etc.” on your transcripts. However, if you'd like a more traditionally-western approach (i.e., Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, etc.) the units for the upper years may be covered in the following order:

Pre-algebra: All of Year 7 and 8

Algebra 1: Year 9 Units 1,3,4,5,10,11,12,13,14,17

Geometry: Year 9 Units 6,7,8,15,16 and GCSE Units 3,4,7,14,18,19

Algebra 2: GCSE Units 1,2,3,5,6,8,9,10,12,13,15,16,17 and Data Handling Pack

Pre-calc with beginning Calculus, Statistics and Mechanics: A-level Pure Mathematics Units 1-13,16,20,21 and Statistics Units 1-5 and Mechanics Units 1-6

This thread holds some discussion regarding the integrated vs. traditional American route: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1724774977547483/permalink/6334099029948365/

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Janeway said:

I found this... 

MEP is integrated, meaning all the branches of mathematics typically studied by high schoolers or upper grades are combined and spread out over several years. If you continue MEP as written, you may write “Integrated Mathematics I, II, etc.” on your transcripts. However, if you'd like a more traditionally-western approach (i.e., Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, etc.) the units for the upper years may be covered in the following order:

Pre-calc with beginning Calculus, Statistics and Mechanics: A-level Pure Mathematics Units 1-13,16,20,21 and Statistics Units 1-5 and Mechanics Units 1-6

This thread holds some discussion regarding the integrated vs. traditional American route: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1724774977547483/permalink/6334099029948365/

This is an amazing overview. Thank you very much for sharing

• Like 1

On 4/6/2023 at 10:00 AM, Janeway said:

I found this... 

^ Good find!  Thanks for putting it here. 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lovinglife123 said:

Is MEP for the upper levels still teacher dependent or is it written to the student?

Starting in year 7 it is written to the student.  It is very sparse and to the point.  My son preferred that, but I was there to fill in gaps if needed (we used 7-9).  It's not intended to be self-study, just a concise version of what the teacher probably lectured on.

• 3 months later...