Menu

January Healthy Eating

Selkie

Goals and thoughts for the New Year - 

2022 was the year I banished my bad eating habits and figured out what my body needed to become lean and healthy. My goal for 2023 (and beyond) is to keep on doing these things:

Continue with my WFPB Nutritarian eating style, focusing on nutrient density and plant diversity

Continue eating SOS-free (no added salt, oil, or sugar)

Be 100% in and make every mouthful count

Eat three meals a day with no snacks

Finish eating by 6pm

• Like 7

On 12/31/2022 at 2:09 PM, math teacher said:

My goal is 300 days of healthy eating, and I will keep up with the days with a piece of paper on my bathroom wall, using tally marks. This will be a big improvement for me.

Do you have set guidelines for what you are considering healthy eating?  I love this idea.

• Like 1

My goal is for the holidays to be over and to STOP having meals with the mothers that they prepare because it is so far from healthy it staggers the imagination!

That is the main goal. They won't like it, but they also do.not.listen.

Today I made a taco/nacho spread. I made everyone's favorites, but I also had lovely fajita veggies and two kinds of beans. I used a GF wrap and made myself a bean heavy burrito with the veggies, and a dollop of Greek yogurt. No desserts. 

Tonight we are having leftovers. The boys leave tomorrow and for the next couple of weeks this is going to be a soup and salad every single day kind of meal plan.

I also want to get back to not eating after 6 pm. My digestive track is so much healthier when I am strict about this.

• Like 4

I started off the New Year with a positive Covid test. After managing to dodge it since the beginning of the pandemic, it finally got both Dh and me. I didn’t have much of an appetite, so only ate a little bit today.

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. A mini version of my usual breakfast bowl with a sprinkle each of oats, beans, fruit & berries, nuts, seeds, and soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens.

Dinner - Ezekiel toast and a small bowl of Thai red curry Brussels sprouts soup (from the freezer).

Edited by Selkie
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Selkie said:

I started off the New Year with a positive Covid test. After managing to dodge it since the beginning of the pandemic, it finally got both Dh and me. I didn’t have much of an appetite, so only ate a little bit today.

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. A mini version of my usual breakfast bowl with a sprinkle each of oats, beans, fruit & berries, nuts, seeds, and soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens.

Dinner - Ezekiel toast and a small bowl of Thai red curry Brussels sprouts soup (from the freezer).

Oh, bummer! I am so sorry. I hope it doesn't negatively affect your sense of smell and taste.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Oh, bummer! I am so sorry. I hope it doesn't negatively affect your sense of smell and taste.

Thanks! Taste and smell are fine - that was the first thing I checked this morning when I saw the positive result! So far, it just feels like cold symptoms with an extra helping of fatigue. 

• Like 3

Sunday-

127 🌈 

breakfast- keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, coconut yogurt, bone broth 

lunch- country hash browns, eggs, bell peppers, onions, cheese; cantaloupe, honeydew melon, green grapes 

Dinner -  scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, chocolate squares

A couple of squares of chocolate a bit later 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 2

Sunday

Brunch—Mexican rice and beans and a taco. Simple, clean, healthy. Tea

Snack—chips (not ideal) and tea, shared some dark chocolate with dh

Dinner—salmon, rice, cabbage, carrots, salad

Not sure what to say about my goals. I’m still shellshocked from ds’wedding. I will give some thought to food and fitness goals tomorrow. 

• Like 4

My short-term goals to achieve then build upon: no snacks, no wheat. Three meals a day max.

Yesterday:

Coffee with cream.  Apple, sour cherry, and blueberry gf crisp that I made for our NY brunch.  I don't eat much fruit so this felt very fancy.

Avocado, carrot, zucchini, leftover stuffed mushroom filling on greens with lemony vinaigrette.

Chai, espresso, espresso.

Tacos with sausage, beans, greens, and carrots.

• Like 4

Monday - 

Day 3 of Covid and I am feeling good. Fingers crossed it keeps up! My appetite is still blah, but I am thankful to have been able to prepare and eat three meals packed with phytonutrients.

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. A small breakfast bowl with oats, lentils, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, kiwi, dragon fruit, passion fruit, orange and lemon zest, walnuts, macadamia nuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Whole grain pita with a black bean burger, scallions, cashew mayo, mustard, BBQ sauce.

Dinner - An artichoke. A small baked sweet potato with spicy pinto beans, roasted mushrooms, steamed broccoli, and mashed avocado.

• Like 3

Monday -

128 🌈 

lunch -  scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, chocolate squares

snack- mixed fruit cup with peach, pineapple and pears 

dinner-  gf chicken veggie pot stickers, brown rice  

• Like 3

Today

Coffee with cream, chai, espresso, water

Breakfast: pea soup with carrots, onions, garlic, potatoes, cabbage and carrot salad

Lunch: pea soup, lentil crackers

Dinner: salmon with capers and lemon juice, brussel sprouts, red onion, basmati rice

• Like 4

On 1/1/2023 at 6:15 PM, Selkie said:

Lunch - Mixed greens.

Oh, no. Sorry to hear this. Best wishes on kicking it quickly! My DS (young adult, home from college) got sick with something over Christmas. Now my DH is sick. Sigh. They didn’t take Covid test, but I am keeping my distance from them! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I normally lurk but am hoping to contribute more in 2023. I am moving more toward a total vegan, wfpb diet. I have chronic health issues and am trying to heal my body / stall the progression of Parkinson’s via diet. This past year, I have gotten very focused on what goes in my body and I feel so much better. No cravings, much more energy. DH has been off work for the past two weeks, which has upended my routines. I am so looking forward to him going back to work so I can get back to my normal eating schedule/style without him underfoot. (He happily eats what I cook, but he otherwise eats like a poor college student. Lots of cheap junk. He fusses at me for not eating enough, then he goes to a fast food drive-thru. Sigh.) 

I work out with a personal trainer on Mondays so eat a heavier breakfast than normal. This morning: Oatmeal, with two dates and a serving of walnuts, apple with almond butter. 
Lunch: vegetables with hummus, vegan protein smoothie. Supper: vegetable stirfry, with oven baked tofu. I think I am finally getting the hang of cooking tofu. 

Goals for the week: Resume having a green smoothie/daily, at least one serving of berries/daily and large leafy green salad for lunch or supper. 

• Like 5

I realized I feel full from 3 meals a day, and that maybe snacking is what I do when I skip a meal, which I used to do in the name of IF.  

Next up, reduce caffeine intake.  Any suggestions for a strongly flavored drink that isn't chai or coffee?  I like pero but it's got a lot of gluten.  Right now I'm at two cups of coffee, two or three espressos, and a chai.   Today I will kick the chai, since it activates my IC, and move to one espresso.

• Like 4

Yesterday: 

Breakfast - scrambled eggs with veggies

Lunch - chicken thigh, large salad, baked beans (left over of mother in law and wow, does she put a lot of molasses in there!)

Dinner - Large pile of leftover black beans and refried beans from the taco dinner on Sunday, fajita veggies, Greek yogurt, and some tortilla chips

Today:

Not eating breakfast

Lunch will be a very large salad with carrots, black beans, jalapeno (light on those) red pepper, salsa, and a little cheddar cheese ,V-8 juice

Dinner - vegetable dumpling soup made with chicken broth but otherwise meatless

No snacks, lots of coffee and water. My poor digestive track needs an opportunity to get back to normal after our mothers nearly killed us with too much of the wrong foods over the holidays!

• Like 4

Tuesday - 

Today is Day 4 of Covid (Day 5 for dh) and we both feel back to normal. My appetite has mostly returned.

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Small breakfast bowl with oats, vaquero beans, blueberries, peaches, kiwi, dragon fruit, passion fruit, lemon and orange zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, sour cherries, fig, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Sandwich with Ezekiel bread, BBQ tofu, garlic, cashew mayo, mustard.

Dinner - Pizza with whole grain crust, tomatoes, jalapeños, pineapple, mushrooms.

• Like 5

Tuesday -

129 🌈 

lunch -  scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, chocolate squares

dinner- steak, asparagus, bacon, onion, brown rice, cauliflower, corn, bell peppers, broccoli 🥦 

• Like 4

Selkie, Glad you and your husband feel better. 

We had a mixed green salad and a berry salad for supper, along with stuffed mushrooms. The inspiration for the mushrooms was a recipe in a vintage vegetarian cookbook I have owned for 25 or so years. (Think 1960s vegetarian cookbook. LOL It was already vintage when I bought it used!) I omitted the parm cheese and oil and added amaranth and hemp hearts. They were really good and even DH, who doesn’t overly care for mushrooms, liked them. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Today was cabbage, zucchini, carrots and leftover basmati rice with an egg for breakfast

Almonds, two bites of cheese, some lentil crackers for lunch

Pesto and yogurt for dinner - it was our last frozen jar from last summer's basil.  (Eating pesto without the pasta is my secret indulgence.) 

2 coffees, a chai, one espresso and some water

• Like 4

Last year I tried shifting to more wfpb and I definitely noticed a difference in how I felt - lighter with more energy. Over the holidays I ate a lot of sugar and cheese and felt more heavy and sluggish, so I'm glad to be back to more wfpb. I'm getting better at figuring out what a complete vegan dinner feels like. Having just one dish seems sparse to me, even if it is a lot of things together like a bowl, but we're getting used to it and I don't feel like I'm starving dh who is going along with my eating plans.

I miss our CSA that kept me drowning in veggies over the summer and fall, and I need to work on menu planning a bit more to keep from having to dash to the store for one more veggie or fruit. I've decided to do Taco Tuesday to help with menu ideas and tonight was spiced chickpeas, cilantro pesto, and avocado on a corn tortilla. Simple but really good from Rainbow Plantlife. I also made a salad (recipe NYT) with arugula, spiced roasted carrots, blood oranges, and olives with an orange zest dressing. It was really good but a lot of work. 

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, livetoread said:

Last year I tried shifting to more wfpb and I definitely noticed a difference in how I felt - lighter with more energy. Over the holidays I ate a lot of sugar and cheese and felt more heavy and sluggish, so I'm glad to be back to more wfpb. I'm getting better at figuring out what a complete vegan dinner feels like. Having just one dish seems sparse to me, even if it is a lot of things together like a bowl, but we're getting used to it and I don't feel like I'm starving dh who is going along with my eating plans.

I miss our CSA that kept me drowning in veggies over the summer and fall, and I need to work on menu planning a bit more to keep from having to dash to the store for one more veggie or fruit. I've decided to do Taco Tuesday to help with menu ideas and tonight was spiced chickpeas, cilantro pesto, and avocado on a corn tortilla. Simple but really good from Rainbow Plantlife. I also made a salad (recipe NYT) with arugula, spiced roasted carrots, blood oranges, and olives with an orange zest dressing. It was really good but a lot of work. 

Your tacos sound so good! I bought cilantro and all for tacos, then totally forgot to get corn tortillas. I am now trying to decide if I want to try and make my own tortillas. I have cilantro growing in the garden, but the epic cold right before Christmas really set the plants back and I am waiting a while before I harvest any. 
I have always wanted to be in a CSA. We do have a really good farmers market nearby and several of the growers practice regenerative agriculture. Alas. They are on winter hours through March so not every week. I try to buy more of the things that I know will keep well, but I am now out of the produce I bought before Christmas and i still have 1.5 weeks before the next market. 

• Like 4

Tuesday

Grabbed a banana on my way out to PT, then had eggs and cherries and coffee (soy milk, maple syrup, cinnamon) afterward.

Mid-afternoon I had a smattering of leftover chips with salsa and an orange. Later I grabbed some dark chocolate. 

Dinner--Beautiful lemon-chicken soup with home-baked gf focaccia and a salad. Unfortunately I greased the focaccia pan with coconut oil and so it was a weird mix. The homemade bread with rosemary was soooooo good, but the coconut oil was weirdly ever-present. Will never do that again.

• Like 3

Wednesday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, scarlet runner beans, apple, fig, blueberries, blackberries, kiwi, sour cherries, lemon and orange zest, passion fruit, dragon fruit, peaches, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, black walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Sandwich with Ezekiel bread, BBQ tofu, garlic slices, cashew mayo, mustard.

Dinner - Shane & Simple’s spinach artichoke dip (originally planned for NYE, but delayed due to Covid). Ingredients are artichoke hearts, spinach (I used a mix of greens instead), onion, cashews, soy milk, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, lemon juice. I made oil-free tortilla chips (cut up corn tortillas spritzed with lime juice and spices, then baked), and we also had guacamole.

• Like 3

Wednesday -

130 🌈 

dinner- chicken, carrot,  onion, brown rice, cauliflower, corn, bell peppers, broccoli 🥦 

• Like 3

Breakfast - boiled egg

Lunch - Taco salad. Lots of spring greens, red pepper, black beans, salsa, few tortilla chips, Greek yogurt.

Supper - supposed to be soup. Well.....I fell asleep on the couch this afternoon, and didn't get it on the stove. I ended up making homemade GF mac n cheese, roasted Brussels sprouts, and roasted mushrooms.

• Like 3

Breakfast: sweet potato, onion, mushroom hash browns with an egg

No lunch, then snacked all afternoon 😞 on dates, almonds, wasabi peas 

Supper: falafel, cukes, onion, greens, avocado, pita

OK, jury's in: three meals is it or else the snack monster comes for me!

• Like 4

Thursday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with ayocote morado beans, oats, dragon fruit, blueberries, kiwi, mango, fig, sour cherries, apple, pear, passion fruit, pineapple, lemon zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - was smallish because I ate a late breakfast. Mixed greens, tomatoes, mushrooms. A lemon G-BOMBS bar. 

Dinner - Finished up the cashew spinach artichoke dip and guacamole with oil-free tortilla chips.

• Like 3

Thursday

131 🌈 

snack- mixed fruit cup with peach, pineapple and pears, flaxseed brownie bite

dinner- beef, mushrooms, onions, green beans, ponzu sauce; brown rice, gf crispy onions 

A couple of squares of chocolate a bit later

• Like 3

Breakfast—granola with soy milk

Snack—Decaf coffee with almond milk and raw sugar, also one lone macaron. 

Lunch + Dinner—Rooted out some leftover stirfry (homemade) from the freezer. I ate late and let myself get too hungry, so then ate too much. Tried to then go with the flow by eating dinner late. Nothing looked appealing so I had some cherries and later a banana. I wasn’t purposely trying to cut back on dinner—I just was not drawn to any of the available foods in the fridge. I cleaned out the freezer just now and ate a small square of gf chocolate cake that was lurking in the back.

Edited by Harriet Vane
  • Like 4

Breakfast: cabbage, bok choy, scallions, onions, egg

Lunch: borscht with an egg and cucumbers, the heel of a gf toast which was too processed tasting.  I buy gf stuff for dd but even the pricey kinds taste too processed for me.

Supper: broccoli, turkey, onions, bok choy, celery, scallions

2 coffees and 1 espresso, success!  Will drink more water today.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Eos said:

Breakfast: cabbage, bok choy, scallions, onions, egg

Lunch: borscht with an egg and cucumbers, the heel of a gf toast which was too processed tasting.  I buy gf stuff for dd but even the pricey kinds taste too processed for me.

Supper: broccoli, turkey, onions, bok choy, celery, scallions

2 coffees and 1 espresso, success!  Will drink more water today.

I really don’t like most off-the-shelf gluten free products. 

Everything changed for me when started using Gluten Free Artisan Bread in Five Minutes Per Day. It’s a fabulous and easy system for home baked gluten free bread. Just mix up a batch (literally takes ten minutes tops) and stick it in the fridge. Take out a small portion and bake as needed. The book gives tips for creating the ideal loaf, but there are many times that I just throw a cold splodge of dough in the oven and the bread is still delicious. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Friday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with kale and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with soybeans, oats, apple, blueberries, kiwi, dragon fruit, fig, sour cherries, passion fruit, mango, lemon and orange zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pecans, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Whole grain pita with falafel, cucumber, tomatoes, scallions. Pomegranate arils.

Dinner - An artichoke and a bowl of Italian Greens and Beans soup served over brown rice. This is a longtime favorite and one of the first recipes I ever made from Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures, back when I had just started fixing my broken palate. Ingredients are onion, garlic, veggie broth, tomato sauce, soy milk, lemon juice, beans (I used borlotti and butter beans), fresh basil, lots of spices, and greens (I used kale and baby bok choy). I also added mushrooms.

Dessert - Chocolate hazelnut nice cream.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Breakfast: boiled egg and later some orange juice

I haven't been putting the obvious coffee addiction on my daily report because I assumed after all these years, you all know that the day give up caffeine I am no longer breathing. 😂 So just assume every day is two mugs in the morning and two in the afternoon.

Lunch - I was craving hummus. Hummus, carrot, red pepper, and celery sticks plus a few gf pretzels. One tangelo.

Supper - Italian soup (home canned tomatoes, fresh onions, garlic, basil and oregano plus just a little bit of sugar and some salt) with ricotta and parmesan dumplings. Absolutely delicious! We had big salads because I scored a nice container of spring greens.

If I get munchy later, I will have some more hummus, but I honestly thing supper was so filling that it won't happen.

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 3

Friday

Breakfast--eggs and a small sweet potato

Lunch--lemon-chicken soup

Dinner--Texmex buffalo roast with black beans and avocado. The roast also had lots of onion and jalapenos and tomatoes and garlic. It was a fiasco making it, first because I knocked a glass bottle of olive oil onto the tile floor (such a mess!!!) and then because when I flipped the roast in the searing process, a huge splash of hot oil hit my wrist. Painful! But it tasted wonderful in the end. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

Friday

Breakfast--eggs and a small sweet potato

Lunch--lemon-chicken soup

Dinner--Texmex buffalo roast with black beans and avocado. The roast also had lots of onion and jalapenos and tomatoes and garlic. It was a fiasco making it, first because I knocked a glass bottle of olive oil onto the tile floor (such a mess!!!) and then because when I flipped the roast in the searing process, a huge splash of hot oil hit my wrist. Painful! But it tasted wonderful in the end. 

I am so sorry about that burn. Ugh! I hope it heals quickly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Friday

132 🌈 

snack- peppermint hot chocolate 

dinner- scrambled eggs with ham and cheese;  just the crispy bits of hash browns, cantaloupe, honey dew melon, pineapple 

A couple of squares of chocolate a bit later

• Like 4

Breakfast: fried rice with lots of veggies and egg

Lunch: same without the egg

Snack: celery and pb - too much of it but I was ravenous after running around too much

Supper: green beans, spuds, some pork chop (dh cooking)

2 coffees, 1 espresso, 1 turmeric tea, more water

• Like 4

Saturday:

Posting early. I know what we are having for dinner because Mark is making it.

Breakfast: Epic coffee addiction satisfied. Orange juice, boiled egg.

Lunch: more yummy hummus and veggie sticks, lots of them. For some reason, that hummus just really hits the spot lately. 

No snack. Trying not to snack. If I can't make it, I will eat one small square of dark chocolate, and will myself to leave the kitchen.

Dinner: Mark is making his divine Caputo Zero GF pizza dough. I have homemade pizza sauce, and it will be topped with fresh mozzarella, feta, mushrooms (lots of mushrooms), green pepper, green onion, shredded spinach, and black olives on his side, oh and fresh basil leaves. It makes about a 7" pizza and because it is so healthy, we don't worry about eating the whole thing. 😁

Lemon selzer water as well as plain water throughout the day. Be proud of me. I did not make an afternoon pot of coffee!

• Like 1

On 1/5/2023 at 6:04 AM, Eos said:

Breakfast: sweet potato, onion, mushroom hash browns with an egg

No lunch, then snacked all afternoon 😞 on dates, almonds, wasabi peas 

Supper: falafel, cukes, onion, greens, avocado, pita

OK, jury's in: three meals is it or else the snack monster comes for me!

Do you make your own falafel? Care to share your receipt if so?   I had one but I don't know where it is.  (It's probably buried in screenshots on my phone.)

Yes, I make a lot at a time and freeze them before cooking.  I get all the ingredients ready then grind them together 1/4 recipe at a time since I have a big food processor.  I like mine really green!  You can make them with less herbs if you prefer.  I also like to fry them but baking might work too.

4 cups dried chickpeas, soaked overnight in twice as much water by volume so they have room to plump up and drained very well.  

2 cups packed chopped parsley

2 cups packed chopped cilantro

12 cloves of garlic

2 medium onions, chopped

1 Tbls of salt, more to taste

1 tsp baking powder

1 Tbls ground cumin, more to taste

1 tsp of dried chili flakes, or about 1/2 tsp of cayenne, more if you like to taste the heat

ground pepper to taste

Put 1/4 of each ingredient into a food processor (steel blade) and grind in bursts so it keeps some texture.  If you can just smush it together in your hand it's right.  I dump each batch into a big bowl then mix them together.  I refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes before cooking.  I fry them in olive oil.  I prefer little patties but I know some people like balls.

I make all of what I'm not cooking right then into patties and freeze them in one layer on a cookie sheet.  When they're frozen hard you can put them into a bag or other freezer container and freeze them, then fry them straight from frozen.

• Like 2