Menu

January Healthy Eating

Selkie

1 hour ago, Selkie said:

Saturday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with black ayocote beans, oats, banana, kiwi, pomegranate, strawberries, blueberries, peaches, pineapple, guava, apple, Asian pear, sour cherries, fig, lemon and orange zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, cauliflower, tomato, edamame, pistachios, zucchini, mushrooms, seven seed topper, sesame peanut dressing.

Dinner - Pizza (whole wheat crust with artichokes, red peppers, and garlic).

Your salad sounds so yummy. I keep planning to buy pistachios to put on salads, then forget. Do you buy or make the seven seed topper? I have been topping my salads with pumpkin and sunflower seeds, hemp hearts and ground flax. I would like to expand on that. 

I signed up for a regenerative health conference and listened to two of the talks today. The one by Dr Fuhrman was fabulous. It was all info I have heard or read before and knew on one level, but it really hit me today. 

• Like 3

Yesterday, Saturday, we slept in.

Mark made coffee, but we kind of lazed around and didn't eat any breakfast.

Around 1:30, he made his divine homemade veggie pizza. We had three slices a piece. At 4 pm we left for Detroit, did some shopping at Whole Foods, took a scenic drive along the river, and then made it to the Detroit Symphony early, had some wine, listened to the concert pre-talk, and then the delightful concert.

We still were not hungry when it let out at 10 pm.

That pizza was the only food of the day.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, GoVanGogh said:

Your salad sounds so yummy. I keep planning to buy pistachios to put on salads, then forget. Do you buy or make the seven seed topper? I have been topping my salads with pumpkin and sunflower seeds, hemp hearts and ground flax. I would like to expand on that. 

I signed up for a regenerative health conference and listened to two of the talks today. The one by Dr Fuhrman was fabulous. It was all info I have heard or read before and knew on one level, but it really hit me today. 

That sounds amazing!

Sunday:

Breakfast: carrot/celery juice, sliced banana, walnuts, mixed berries, flax, almond milk

Lunch: ezekielntoast with hummus and avocado, enormous salad

Dinner: pinto beans and rice, fruit salad with banana, kiwi and mandarin orange

• Like 3

21 hours ago, GoVanGogh said:

That’s great! Dr. Fuhrman is just the best. I am always so grateful to him for improving the quality of my life so immensely (and dh’s , too).

I order the seed topper from Local Spicery in Tiburon, CA. The owners are WFPB and they have spice blends that are specifically made for people who eat SOS-free. The topper is called Seedtopia, and it has pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sumac, coriander, toasted sesame seeds, nigella, flax seeds, cumin, and oregano. They have another one called Showstopper Topper that is like an everything bagel mix - sesame seeds, garlic, poppy seeds, and onion.

• Like 3

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with soybeans, oats, sour cherries, kiwi, banana, guava, pomegranate, blueberries, strawberries, peaches, pineapple, fig, apricot, apple, pear, lemon and lime zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, cauliflower, tomato, hazelnuts, carrots, mushrooms, seven seed topper, sesame peanut dressing.

Dinner - Spicy Creamy Ramen (from one of my Neuro Academy cooking sessions). Ingredients are tahini, miso, sriracha, rice vinegar, soy milk, onion, garlic, ginger, mushrooms, veggie broth, baby bok choy, tofu, buckwheat noodles, carrot, broccoli microgreens.

• Like 4

Sunday 

🌈 

breakfast- keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, coconut yogurt, bone broth 

lunch - half an order of eggs, bacon, country fries with bell peppers, onions; honeydew melon, cantaloupe, grapes  

Dinner-  other half of the eggs, bacon, country fries with bell peppers, onions; honeydew melon, cantaloupe, grapes , some cherries 

two eggs before bedtime 

• Like 4

B: Greek yogurt with raspberry crumb cake

L: avocado toast, a date, some salty nuts

S: a fish taco, french fries, and a beer! And a salad.  I haven't eaten food in a restaurant in almost three years, so this was unique. After being up in the middle of the night looking for the comet, I did an early morning hike, then a march, and then a walk then went out, all with a friend I haven't seen for months.  Coffee, espresso, mountain stream water.  It was a fun day!

Edited by Eos
  • Like 4

Monday:

Breakfast: carrot/celery juice, sliced bananas, blueberries, walnuts, flax and vanilla almond milk

Lunch: Huge salad, ezekiel toast with hummus and avocado

Dinner: soup with lots of veggies, mustard greens and pinto beans, orange

• Like 4

Monday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with mayocoba beans, oats, pineapple, banana, guava, kiwi, apple, Asian pear, blueberries, peaches, strawberries, pomegranate, fig, sour cherries, lemon and orange zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Whole grain pita with soybeans, celery, kelp, zucchini, red onion, garlic, mushrooms, tomato, cucumber, cashew mayo.

Dinner - Tacos - corn tortillas, chickpeas, brown rice, crispy tofu, spicy cauliflower, mushrooms, spinach, scallions, avocado, jalapeños, shredded cabbage, cilantro, salsa.

• Like 4

Monday 

🌈 

lunch - scrambled eggs with mixed greens, mushrooms and onions; 1/2 flaxseed muffin, two squares dark chocolate 

Dinner-  the best vegan enchiladas (tomato enchilada sauce; cauliflower tortillas filled with refried black beans, butternut squash, pico de gallo; vegan “cheese “

two eggs before bedtime 

• Like 4

Monday

Breakfast—egg scramble with onion, red pepper, mushroom, and a very small red potato and half a sausage patty crumbled fine for flavor.

Lunch—pulled pork, beans, orange

Snack—1 tiny dark chocolate square, 4 gf steamed Asian dumplings

Dinner—pork tacos on corn tortillas with onion, cilantro, pineapple. Also had small portion rice and beans. 

• Like 4

On 1/22/2023 at 7:50 PM, Selkie said:

That’s great! Dr. Fuhrman is just the best. I am always so grateful to him for improving the quality of my life so immensely (and dh’s , too).

I order the seed topper from Local Spicery in Tiburon, CA. The owners are WFPB and they have spice blends that are specifically made for people who eat SOS-free. The topper is called Seedtopia, and it has pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sumac, coriander, toasted sesame seeds, nigella, flax seeds, cumin, and oregano. They have another one called Showstopper Topper that is like an everything bagel mix - sesame seeds, garlic, poppy seeds, and onion.

Oh… My credit card groans… LOL Thanks for the names. They sound amazing. 
I got my legume order yesterday, along with the banana vinegar. I have not yet tried the vinegar but plan to make a salad dressing with it this week. I was very impressed with their shipping time and packaging. I am making the black garbanzo beans tomorrow. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Monday 

🌈 

lunch - scrambled eggs with mixed greens, mushrooms and onions; 1/2 flaxseed muffin, two squares dark chocolate 

Dinner-  the best vegan enchiladas (tomato enchilada sauce; cauliflower tortillas filled with refried black beans, butternut squash, pico de gallo; vegan “cheese “

two eggs before bedtime 

Quoting myself to sigh with frustration.  This is why I can't make and eat vegan.  That healthy dinner (eaten in appropriate amounts) has pushed my blood sugar sky high.  Oh well.  I tried.  It sure was tasty though. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

B: avocado toast with en egg and onions

L: kale and cabbage

S: baked potato, a wee bit of yummy steak, and a lot of collards, some Greek yogurt - we were giving dd a celebration dinner for a milestone, and this menu was her request.  

Edited by Eos
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Quoting myself to sigh with frustration.  This is why I can't make and eat vegan.  That healthy dinner (eaten in appropriate amounts) has pushed my blood sugar sky high.  Oh well.  I tried.  It sure was tasty though. 

Jean, I have so much respect for how meticulously you have tracked your sugars and drawn correlations to what you eat. It’s so impressive that you can pinpoint the problem and implement a remedy. Most people simply don’t observe themselves as scientifically. 

In your opinion, would you be able to eat that yummy vegan food with something non-vegan to help hold the line on blood sugars?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

Jean, I have so much respect for how meticulously you have tracked your sugars and drawn correlations to what you eat. It’s so impressive that you can pinpoint the problem and implement a remedy. Most people simply don’t observe themselves as scientifically. 

In your opinion, would you be able to eat that yummy vegan food with something non-vegan to help hold the line on blood sugars?

Not sure.  I was thinking about that this morning.  The main problem is that my sugars go up whenever I eat beans and these were refried beans (which while vegetarian, still have been processed so have a higher glycemic index).  I don't know if I added more protein if it would "even out" it's affect on my blood sugars or not.  I really only eat meat at dinner time but I rely a lot on eggs at other times to stabilize my sugars.  I can only eat so many eggs in a day! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Not sure.  I was thinking about that this morning.  The main problem is that my sugars go up whenever I eat beans and these were refried beans (which while vegetarian, still have been processed so have a higher glycemic index).  I don't know if I added more protein if it would "even out" it's affect on my blood sugars or not.  I really only eat meat at dinner time but I rely a lot on eggs at other times to stabilize my sugars.  I can only eat so many eggs in a day! 

Makes sense completely.

Eating whole beans rather than refried might help but probably not to the degree you need.

I can see how you would get tired of eggs. Handy little packages but too much of a good thing gets old quick.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

Makes sense completely.

Eating whole beans rather than refried might help but probably not to the degree you need.

I can see how you would get tired of eggs. Handy little packages but too much of a good thing gets old quick.

I can actually experiment tonight very easily.  I have whole meal's worth of leftovers from last night.  And I have shredded rotisserie chicken.  I could combine the two. . .     And then see what happens to my blood sugars. 

• Like 2

Tuesday:

Breakfast: half of a smoothie (my daughter ate the other half 🤣), banana

Lunch: salad, veggie stir fry, brown rice

Dinner: vegetable bean soup

According to myfitnwsspal, I didnt have enough calories today, so I may try to eat something else. I felt like I needed to eat, like I was getting a blood sugar problem, kind of loopy, but yet I wasn't really hungry and didn't even finish all the rice at lunch. Not sure what that's about.

• Like 4

Tuesday

🌈 

Dinner-  the best vegan enchiladas (tomato enchilada sauce; cauliflower tortillas filled with refried black beans, butternut squash, pico de gallo; vegan “cheese “ with extra rotisserie chicken.  My experiment for tonight 

two eggs before bedtime 

• Like 4

Tuesday

Breakfast--gf pancakes and sausage, 2 clementines

Lunch--rice and beans with sunny-side up eggs. Tea (S)

Snack--4 gf potstickers, pickles (What a weird combination. Just grabbed what looked nice in the fridge to be quick.)

Dinner--roast pork loin with caramelized onions/mushrooms, small sweet potato, broccoli

*Realizing after the fact that before dinner was pretty carb-intensive. Will try for more balance tomorrow.*

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I can actually experiment tonight very easily.  I have whole meal's worth of leftovers from last night.  And I have shredded rotisserie chicken.  I could combine the two. . .     And then see what happens to my blood sugars. 

Quoting myself to say that the experiment was a huge success. Exactly same meal but with the addition of rotisserie chicken. Nice normal blood sugars later. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

B: leftover potatoes and an egg

L: more leftover potatoes and kale, celery

Snack: 2 dates, some hummus

S: roasted cauliflower, a little pork roast, homemade applesauce - the anti-rainbow meal!

I'm eating smaller suppers as is my goal but not cutting altogether or switching to salads.  However, I find I really like how I feel when I eat breakfast.  I will try to fully switch to salads so I can continue my breakfast habit.  I can definitely see the trend of needing to snack if I don't eat lots of veggies.

• Like 2

So…. I hired a nutritionist. After some communication back and forth, we have a plan- for breakfast:  three eggs, tomato and half a yam is what she recommends. I cut that down to a third of a yam and might cut out one egg in the future. It’s more cooking and more food than I am used to in the morning. And more calories (though not too much more). I will test blood sugars as usual. I will do it her way (except for the yam) for a week before deciding if I should tweak anything unless my sugars go off the charts or something.

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 3

Just realized I forgot to post yesterday.

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with papa de rola beans, oats, banana, guava, kiwi, apple, Asian pear, blueberries, pineapple, pomegranate, lemon and lime zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, tofu, tomato, cucumber, celery, pistachios, seven seed topper, lemon balsamic vinegar.

Dinner - Leftover tacos - corn tortillas, chickpeas, tofu, brown rice, avocado, jalapeños, scallions, cilantro, salsa, spinach, shredded cabbage.

• Like 3

I’m logging things multiple times  today because things are in transition and I’m figuring things out. 

Blood sugars after my new breakfast was within range.  

Was going to have my usual breakfast for lunch until I used up the expensive coconut yogurt and keto granola. But I was so surprised when I went to the cupboard and was out of granola. The extra bag that I thought was granola was actually pecan halves. So-  plan B which I was going to move to anyway once the granola and yogurt were used up :  salad (mixed greens, onions, mushrooms, shredded chicken, poppyseed dressing), 1/2 flaxseed muffin. 2 squares of dark chocolate with cherries. This meal was less calories than my previous lunch. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 3

I will be off the thread for a while. We had an emergency situation with dd this week, and I left Tuesday for Alabama and made the mad dash to get here to care for our grandsons. I will be cooking a lot of kid friendly stuff, but also predict that my own eating is going to be quite weird for a couple of weeks.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

I will be off the thread for a while. We had an emergency situation with dd this week, and I left Tuesday for Alabama and made the mad dash to get here to care for our grandsons. I will be cooking a lot of kid friendly stuff, but also predict that my own eating is going to be quite weird for a couple of weeks.

Hope all is well for your daughter and family.

• Like 3

I made it to the citrus fest today. Successful and fun and nutritious! 
First off, stopped by a larger garden center nearby and found some Botanical Interests seeds that my local place doesn’t carry. Got some tomato, pepper and bean seeds. Will start the first two inside soon. 
Then. The grocery store. This is always a super fun place to shop, with prices from great to crazy. 
Ponderosa lemon, cocktail grapefruit, various types of tangerines, blood oranges, sweet lime, pummelo, various mandarians. 
I also got two types of organic apples - Kanzi and Piñata. And two types of organic mushrooms - shiitake and blue oyster. The blue oyster were on sale for $10/pound. Got a bag of frozen speckled butter beans. 
And! Selkie, they carry Rancho Gordo beans! I had never noticed that before. Thankfully, they do carry just the more basic ones and not the more unusual ones I ordered. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, GoVanGogh said:

Hope all is well for your daughter and family.

Thank you! At the moment, I am rather stressed. Our 3 year old grandson has come down with yet another virus, cold. That is something that could kill his new, baby brother. So I have to get him healthy, and keep his 7 year old brother healthy. I figure I have 2-3 weeks before T is released from the NICU, and it feels like I have a massive weight on my shoulders. This child has been sick pretty much steady for 2 months, and has not had any immune system to speak of since he had covid in late May. The doctors have NO constructive advice, so I feel like I am in the weeds.

I am trying NOT to stress eat.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

PSA- no matter how amazing the keto egg roll in a bowl recipe is, do NOT eat half the pan. Your stomach won’t thank you.

Thank goodness we already have a school delay due to a storm in the morning because there’s no way I’m going to be able to sleep anytime soon 😞

It was soooo good though!

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 4

Wednesday:

Breakfast: smoothie-banana, almond milk, frozen mixed berries

Lunch: enormous salad with a diverse array of veggies, garbanzo beans and avocado, pistacios, slice of Ezekiel toast

Dinner: vegetable bean soup

Edited by Kela
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, GoVanGogh said:

I made it to the citrus fest today. Successful and fun and nutritious! 
First off, stopped by a larger garden center nearby and found some Botanical Interests seeds that my local place doesn’t carry. Got some tomato, pepper and bean seeds. Will start the first two inside soon. 
Then. The grocery store. This is always a super fun place to shop, with prices from great to crazy. 
Ponderosa lemon, cocktail grapefruit, various types of tangerines, blood oranges, sweet lime, pummelo, various mandarians. 
I also got two types of organic apples - Kanzi and Piñata. And two types of organic mushrooms - shiitake and blue oyster. The blue oyster were on sale for $10/pound. Got a bag of frozen speckled butter beans. 
And! Selkie, they carry Rancho Gordo beans! I had never noticed that before. Thankfully, they do carry just the more basic ones and not the more unusual ones I ordered. 

Oh wow, that grocery store sounds like a dream! How cool!

• Like 2

Wednesday - 

Breakfast - A lemon poppyseed WellBean bar on the way to an early vet appointment. Then watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with soybeans, oats, passion fruit, pomegranate, blueberries, kiwi, guava, apple, pear, fig, apricot, sour cherries, banana, lemon and orange zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Whole grain pita filled with odds and ends from the fridge - brown rice, chickpeas, tofu, avocado, jalapeños, scallions, sriracha. An orange.

Dinner - Butternut squash ravioli with Italian crumbles (these are so good - they’re from Nutcase Vegan, a WFPB company owned by two MD’s, and are made of good things like quinoa, walnuts, flaxseeds, and hemp) with marinara. Steamed asparagus and mushrooms.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Oh wow, that grocery store sounds like a dream! How cool!

It really is. This store came in to our area ~20 years ago. My son, who had been born premature the year before, had extensive food allergies. The staff was incredible helping me search for foods for him. (This was before you could find things like rice or oatmeal milk at Target.) I extended breastfed, thankfully. But my son was always very tiny for his age and I was always looking for healthy/nutrient dense, higher fat foods for him. His pediatrician basically said to feed him junk foods! Grr… So I made all of his food from scratch for years. (He is 21 now and quite tall, though still very underweight. He is a fabulous eater, still prefers vegetables over meat.)

I shopped at this store exclusively for many years because they just nail it all. Selection. Customer service. Quality. Knowledgable staff. I don’t get there near often enough these days, because we now have a Whole Foods nearby. But I do make a point of going there for the food festivals and around the holidays or anytime I am out in that area. Oh. And I always, always go in the fall when they get a large shipment of organic apples because their selection is outstanding! 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Thank you! At the moment, I am rather stressed. Our 3 year old grandson has come down with yet another virus, cold. That is something that could kill his new, baby brother. So I have to get him healthy, and keep his 7 year old brother healthy. I figure I have 2-3 weeks before T is released from the NICU, and it feels like I have a massive weight on my shoulders. This child has been sick pretty much steady for 2 months, and has not had any immune system to speak of since he had covid in late May. The doctors have NO constructive advice, so I feel like I am in the weeds.

I am trying NOT to stress eat.

Oh my. I am sorry. I feel your pain. My DS was premature and in NICU for quite a while at birth. It was a bad RSV/flu year and we were quarantined at home after he came home from the hospital. After that winter and we got out some, well, the first few years of his life were an endless battle of respiratory viruses and breathing treatments. Some of the things we were told - Always wash hands, arms up to elbows anytime coming in from outside. (Just as we had to do to get in to NICU.) Always change clothes after getting home, esp if pushing shopping cart, seated in shopping cart, etc. As much as I hate antibacterial wet wipes, they are your friend! Look at healthy foods that are high in vitamin c and zinc. I wish you and your family well. I have a major soft spot in my heart for families going through NICU after our own experience. 

• Like 4

Long-distance driving day to visit dd:

B - two mini corn quesadillas, two eggs, a whole small onion and a whole large zucchini stir fried with parsley, coffee

L - coffee, espresso, almonds, chocolate

Snack - more coffee with espresso in it

S - salad greens topped with walnuts, a little salmon, red pepper, and lemon vinaigrette with some baguette slices.  I stopped at a store as I came into town and picked up some staples for dd plus some nice dinner items for us.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, GoVanGogh said:

Oh my. I am sorry. I feel your pain. My DS was premature and in NICU for quite a while at birth. It was a bad RSV/flu year and we were quarantined at home after he came home from the hospital. After that winter and we got out some, well, the first few years of his life were an endless battle of respiratory viruses and breathing treatments. Some of the things we were told - Always wash hands, arms up to elbows anytime coming in from outside. (Just as we had to do to get in to NICU.) Always change clothes after getting home, esp if pushing shopping cart, seated in shopping cart, etc. As much as I hate antibacterial wet wipes, they are your friend! Look at healthy foods that are high in vitamin c and zinc. I wish you and your family well. I have a major soft spot in my heart for families going through NICU after our own experience. 

Thank you for the help. I totally forgot about the zinc. I need to make sure I am getting zinc into them.

• Like 2

Thursday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with Rio Zape beans, oats, apple, blueberries, pineapple, cantaloupe, pomegranate, kiwi, guava, passion fruit, fig, apricot, lemon and orange zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Whole grain pita with edamame, tomato, cucumber, roasted eggplant, scallions, cashew mayo, mustard, sriracha. A blood orange and a tangerine.

Dinner - Leftovers from last night (butternut squash ravioli with spicy Italian crumbles, asparagus, and mushrooms) plus Buffalo Brussels Sprouts and Smokey BBQ Zucchini Rounds (both recipes from the Esselstyn’s cookbook).

• Like 3

Thursday:

Breakfast: carrot/celery juice, smoothie with banana, strawberries and almond milk

Lunch: 1 slice of Ezekiel toast with red pepper hummus, sprouts and avocado, huge salad with assorted greens and veggies

Dinner: I was in a hurry and didn't have time to make anything, so I has a smoothie with a banana, almond milk, 1 tbsp. Sun butter, 2 tbsp. Cacao powder, cinnamon.

I only lost .6 lbs at my weigh in. Currently in 3rd place. I know it's not about the weight, but I'm still kind of discouraged. I know that Dr. Furhman advises that you can lose 20 lbs. in one month, but I have only lost 8 lbs in 3 weeks. I really don't know what im doing wrong, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Kela said:

Thursday:

Breakfast: carrot/celery juice, smoothie with banana, strawberries and almond milk

Lunch: 1 slice of Ezekiel toast with red pepper hummus, sprouts and avocado, huge salad with assorted greens and veggies

Dinner: I was in a hurry and didn't have time to make anything, so I has a smoothie with a banana, almond milk, 1 tbsp. Sun butter, 2 tbsp. Cacao powder, cinnamon.

I only lost .6 lbs at my weigh in. Currently in 3rd place. I know it's not about the weight, but I'm still kind of discouraged. I know that Dr. Furhman advises that you can lose 20 lbs. in one month, but I have only lost 8 lbs in 3 weeks. I really don't know what im doing wrong, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Eight pounds in three weeks is excellent progress! Dr. Fuhrman says that if you are overweight and eating Nutritarian 100%, you should be losing at least two pounds per week - so you are doing fantastic! That is about the rate that I lost my weight, and it wasn't totally linear and didn't always make sense. I had some weeks when I didn't lose at all and some weeks when I would drop 4 pounds, despite eating the same things.

I haven't heard him say that you should expect to lose 20 pounds a month - I've only heard him say that some people who stay at his retreat will drop a pound a day while they are there, and I think those are people who have a very large amount of weight to lose.

Keep up the great work!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I think I did okay today with the kiddos.

They had oatmeal cooked with dried cranberries and topped with blueberries. They each had a dollop of coconut milk yogurt in their bowls and ate well.

Lunch - I made whole grain pancakes with maple syrup, mango chunks, and a scrambled egg a piece, almond milk to drink.

Snack - chocolate chip granola bars and blueberries

Supper - black bean and chicken tacos (which they liked so note to self, make sure to serve this often), cheddar cheese, and since they don't like veggies on their tacos, I insisted they pick a finger veggie. They each ate a healthy dose of fresh carrots they also asked for more mango which I obliged.

I am stressed, and actually my fear of stress eating was for naught. I have ZERO appetite. I could easily just not eat anything at all. I made myself eat two small black bean tacos tonight with green onions and salsa, some sour cream. It tasted fine, but it was force of will to make myself eat. I think that all of the intensive care giving and sick people in my life this year is taking its toll. I must solider on for everyone else's sake, but I would secretly like to crawl into a hole and hibernate.

Their vitamin c, vitamin d3, and zinc supplements come tomorrow. C has been fever free today so that is good. He fell asleep on my lap tonight while I was doing bedtime stories, and I need to go put him down, but am reluctant because the snuggles are nice.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Selkie said:

Eight pounds in three weeks is excellent progress! Dr. Fuhrman says that if you are overweight and eating Nutritarian 100%, you should be losing at least two pounds per week - so you are doing fantastic! That is about the rate that I lost my weight, and it wasn't totally linear and didn't always make sense. I had some weeks when I didn't lose at all and some weeks when I would drop 4 pounds, despite eating the same things.

I haven't heard him say that you should expect to lose 20 pounds a month - I've only heard him say that some people who stay at his retreat will drop a pound a day while they are there, and I think those are people who have a very large amount of weight to lose.

Keep up the great work!

We have just started watching Dr Fuhrman’s dvd program a few nights ago. The episode last night said *some* people lose 20-30 pounds/month at his retreat. Women - 20 pounds. Men - 30 pounds. I understood that those numbers are from people that had really bad eating habits going in and those that had significant amounts to lose. 

I went mostly wfpb two years ago this March, but I started recording my weight / percentage body fat two years ago this past November. Since I started logging my numbers, I have lost around 55 pounds and lost 11% points in body fat. It has been painfully slow, but steady. I am very motivated right now to dial in my nutrition even more. 

• Like 5