Menu

January Healthy Eating

Selkie

On 1/26/2023 at 7:33 PM, Selkie said:

Eight pounds in three weeks is excellent progress! Dr. Fuhrman says that if you are overweight and eating Nutritarian 100%, you should be losing at least two pounds per week - so you are doing fantastic! That is about the rate that I lost my weight, and it wasn't totally linear and didn't always make sense. I had some weeks when I didn't lose at all and some weeks when I would drop 4 pounds, despite eating the same things.

I haven't heard him say that you should expect to lose 20 pounds a month - I've only heard him say that some people who stay at his retreat will drop a pound a day while they are there, and I think those are people who have a very large amount of weight to lose.

Keep up the great work!

Thank you! I feel better knowing that it is not linear and not everyone loses that fast! 

Friday:

Breakfast: carrot/celery juice; smoothie with banana, strawberries, almond milk.

Lunch: I completely fell off the wagon for lunch. We came back from errands with only 30 minutes for me to get ready for work. I had veggies with hummus and was still hungry, so with no time to make something for myself, I ate about 4 oz of the steak and an egg that I was making for the rest of the family.

Dinner: Back on track. A huge salad.

• Like 5

Friday 

🌈 

breakfast- eggs, tomato, 1/4 of a yam, green, yellow and red bell peppers,bone broth 

lunch - salad with mixed greens, chicken, mushrooms and onions, popping dressing; 1/2 flaxseed muffin, two squares dark chocolate 

had an energy crash (either adrenal or thyroid related)  or may just autoimmune  in general 

“Medicated” with two squares of chocolate and a 1/4 c of mixed nuts  

Dinner-  Vietnamese chicken noodle “salad “-  chicken, daikon, carrots, mung bean sprouts, cucumber, onions,romaine lettuce 

two eggs before bedtime 

• Like 5

Friday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with black ayocote beans, oats, raspberries, blueberries, pomegranate, guava, banana, pineapple, cantaloupe, passion fruit, dragon fruit, fig, sour cherries, apple, pear, lemon and lime zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Whole grain pita with edamame, scallions, zucchini, Italian crumbles, cashew mayo, mustard. A blood orange and a Cara Cara orange.

Dinner - I made Vegan Jalapeño Popper Soup from This Healthy Kitchen and omitted the oil and salt to make it WFPB. This is the second time I’ve made this recipe and it is sooo good. Served it over brown rice and also had some leftover Brussels sprouts.

Dessert - Pumpkin pie banana nice cream with cacao nib sprinkles.

• Like 5

Saturday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with Rio Zape beans, oats, dragon fruit, guava, kiwi, banana, passion fruit, pomegranate, pineapple, pear, apple, cantaloupe, fig, sour cherries, lime and orange zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, edamame, tomato, beets, spicy Italian crumbles, hazelnuts, scallions, mushrooms, sesame seeds, garlic, 7-herb Italian balsamic vinegar.

Dinner - Leftovers: A bowl of jalapeño popper soup with a few butternut squash ravioli.

• Like 4

Saturday 

🌈 

I’m trying to heal my gut after obeying the nutritionist and eating foods that have thrown me into intense joint pain and intestinal cramping. Oh joy.  I really need to learn to trust my own instincts. 

breakfast- eggs, onions, mixed greens, bone broth 

lunch - silken tofu scramble with onions, mixed greens ; 1/2 flaxseed muffin, two squares dark chocolate 

Dinner- another silken tofu scramble with onions, mixed greens, red Bhutan rice, carrots, green beans

two eggs before bedtime 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Saturday 

🌈 

I’m trying to heal my gut after obeying the nutritionist and eating foods that have thrown me into intense joint pain and intestinal cramping. Oh joy.  I really need to learn to trust my own instincts. 

breakfast- eggs, onions, mixed greens, bone broth 

lunch - silken tofu scramble with onions, mixed greens ; 1/2 flaxseed muffin, two squares dark chocolate 

Dinner- another silken tofu scramble with onions, mixed greens, red Bhutan rice, carrots, green beans

two eggs before bedtime 

I'm so sorry about your pain. I hope you feel better quickly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Saturday

Breakfast--2 eggs fried in olive oil with a tiny bit of salsa, also a banana, coffee with maple syrup and cocoa powder and cinnamon (yum)

Lunch--frozen gf/df burrito filled with beans and rice, also an orange

Snack--popcorn (unfortunately not supposed to have this while doing TMJ protocol) and a banana

Dinner--Fabulous stirfry bursting with veggies, with a little diced pork and white rice, had an orange right after

• Like 4

I'm starting from yesterday as my travel days were a blur and involved entirely too much coffee.

Yesterday I only ate roasted chicken and kale, all three meals.

Today I've had chicken and kale and cilantro plus rolled lettuce and turkey.

Tonight I'll make a salad.  It's so much easier to eat in the way that I want when I'm not cooking for my family, sigh.

• Like 5

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with mayocoba beans, oats, raspberries, blueberries, guava, apple, banana, pear, passion fruit, dragon fruit, lime and orange zest, fig, apricot, sour cherries, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pecans, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, eggplant, tomato, edamame, blackberries, sweet potato, mushrooms, delicata squash, pistachios, sesame seeds, mandarin orange balsamic vinegar.

Dinner - I made Shane & Simple’s mashed potato tacos - crispy corn tortillas topped with mashed potatoes that were seasoned with cumin, smoked paprika, and garlic, plus crunchy potato chip bits (his fat-free microwave chips). Also scallions, cilantro, and (the part that really made the recipe) tofu sour cream seasoned with adobo sauce. Yum!! 

• Like 4

Sunday:

Breakfast: carrot/celery juice; smoothie with mango, banana and almond milk

Lunch: huge salad; roasted cabbage, carrots and celery; small handful of cashews

Snack: My very thoughtful co-worker brought me a hot chocolate.

Dinner: black bean chili, mandarin orange

• Like 4

Monday--

Was up super late yesterday working towards a deadline. I had some snacks to help me along--gf veg spring rolls (steamed), bananas, applesauce, some dark chocolate.

Breakfast--eggs and ham, an orange

Lunch--gf veg spring rolls again, banana

Dinner--Brussels, tiny red potatoes, swai fillet with lemon-caper sauce, cantelope

• Like 4

Monday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with soybeans, oats, guava, cherries, mango, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, passion fruit, dragon fruit, fig, apricot, lemon and orange zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, almonds, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Shredded Brussels sprouts with eggplant, beets, tomato, bell pepper, edamame, carrots, hazelnuts, sesame seeds, tofu adobo sour cream as dressing.

Dinner - Sushi - nori, tofu, avocado, cucumber, carrot, brown rice, baby bok choy, panko, black sesame seeds. 

Dessert - Chocolate pecan banana nice cream.

• Like 5

Failing miserably with the kiddoes, and self. We all got the upper respiratory crud the kids have, and now Dd and dsil cannot be with baby at the hospital. The collective mood is awful, and the sinus drainage makes everything taste nasty.

About the only two things I have made that went down well was tacos (thankfully they eat black beans and love them because protein is especially hard to get into the boys right now) and spaghetti. We may be eating a lot of that for the next few days. They are eating some fruit. I have exactly ZERO appetite.

I keep reading here to remind myself to get back on track when I am able to get a break from the intensive care giving.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

4 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Failing miserably with the kiddoes, and self. We all got the upper respiratory crud the kids have, and now Dd and dsil cannot be with baby at the hospital. The collective mood is awful, and the sinus drainage makes everything taste nasty.

About the only two things I have made that went down well was tacos (thankfully they eat black beans and love them because protein is especially hard to get into the boys right now) and spaghetti. We may be eating a lot of that for the next few days. They are eating some fruit. I have exactly ZERO appetite.

I keep reading here to remind myself to get back on track when I am able to get a break from the intensive care giving.

I'm so sorry. I hope it all gets easier soon.

• Like 2

Tuesday 

🌈 

breakfast- blueberry keto granola and cocoa yogurt 

lunch - scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms and mixed greens; 1/2 flaxseed muffin, 2 chocolate squares 

Dinner- pork stir fry (broccoli, carrots, onions, garlic, sugar snap peas, yellow summer squash, zucchini, celery, bell peppers); red Bhutan rice 

two eggs before bedtime 

• Like 4

Tuesday

So much tea today. Absolutely craved it and ending up drinking three big mugs through the afternoon. Two with sugar, one without.

Breakfast--small portion of rice and a small pear before class. Probably what sparked protein cravings later. 

Mid-day--Eggs and potatoes sauteed in olive oil. 

Snack--tuna with cucumber

Dinner--meatloaf and potatoes, green beans

• Like 4

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with vaquero beans, oats, kiwi, guava, passion fruit, lime and orange zest, apple, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, dragon fruit, fig, apricot, cherries, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, mango, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens, a veggie burger, mashed potatoes, Brussels sprouts, an orange.

Dinner - Veggie/tofu sushi.

• Like 4

B: some yogurt and granola running out the door for an hour drive to the dentist

L: don't remember

Snack: pistachios

S: chicken, bok choi, peanut stir fry

I am seeing a trend that I'm going to work with: I sleep terribly when I eat a big supper, not just dessert as I previously thought.  I am re-upping my goal of eating salads for supper, if only for February.

Much coffee, turmeric tea, espresso, water.  Did better with hydration, but I need to do something for about a week for it to become a habit.

• Like 4

We might be seeing an improvement today.

Breakfast: I made buckwheat pancakes and topped them with berries and bananas. The children actually ate.

Lunch: I just gave them some sliced extra sharp cheddar cheese, strawberries, blueberries, and baby carrots. Both little ones are sampling everything on their plates. They are very worn down, and I made a big pile of pillows and blankets for them in the living room, and have let them eat there. I would say that close to half their plates have been consumed. They both asked for a graham cracker, so I said they could have more than one after they eat what is on their plates. Neither one is protesting. I think their taste buds are returning. The sinus drainage with this is wicked.

Dinner: I am making spaghetti with some shredded spinach and some ground beef (Dd seriously needs to eat iron right now), roast brussel sprouts (which I am going to drizzle maple syrup butter in the hopes of tempting the boys because otherwise I think they would be too bland), and some steamed broccoli. Normally, the 3 year old will down broccoli like a ground hog in my garden. But, I have to wonder if it will still taste off. I am not going to push it because I do not want him to form a hard memory of his favorite veggie tasting nasty.

Meanwhile, I subsist on V-8 juice. It is the only thing I can taste and tastes good. I did make myself a few refried beans to eat last night and put taco sauce on it. I am a legume devouring monster, and it was all I could do to make myself eat it. It just tasted like paste, like eating Elmer's glue or something.

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 3