Menu

Under the sink water filter system

Elizabeth86

We have a reverse osmosis system that is under sink. We have it so that it feeds a one gallon tank which we access through a separate tap on the sink. We have the APEC ROES50, which is just under $200 right now on Amazon. We replace some filters every 6 months, and others every few years. Otherwise, it’s beautiful safe water. You will want to do a mineral add in if this is your primary drinking water and be sure you and yours use a fluoride toothpaste. Minerals and such get stripped out by the reverse osmosis membrane.

• Thanks 1

We have a Seagull one. It was expensive and we had it installed but it’s one of the few that works with rainwater. (Normal filters can breed bacteria and nasties that live in rainwater). The water tastes great and I’m less stressed about how clean our tank water is. We did put a pre filter on the house to reduce the level of organic stuff to help the more expensive filters for drinking water last longer which has been good.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 7:07 PM, Elizabeth86 said:

Anyone have one? Curious what brand. The cost? Was it easy to install? Does it improve the taste of the water? All the details please!

We do.  I love it.  It's just the regular Filtrete one from Walmart but works well for our purposes!  

I think the original set up was $50 and the replacement filters are $30.  My husband installed 2 - one under the sink and one for the icemaker in the freezer.  He's a maintenance guy so he found it totally easy - I'm assuming it's easy overall though.  It takes away the chlorine taste, which is horrible where we live (we have town water, not well water).  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PeacefulChaos said:

We do.  I love it.  It's just the regular Filtrete one from Walmart but works well for our purposes!  

I think the original set up was $50 and the replacement filters are $30.  My husband installed 2 - one under the sink and one for the icemaker in the freezer.  He's a maintenance guy so he found it totally easy - I'm assuming it's easy overall though.  It takes away the chlorine taste, which is horrible where we live (we have town water, not well water).  

Great information. Yes, our water tastes like chlorine too!

We got a Big Blue whole house filtration system for a little more than you're planning to spend for one sink.  It improved the taste, and also cut down rust and scale in our toilets and tubs, and the laundry looks cleaner!  If you look around a bit, you can find the right combination of filters for your situation in a purchase kit, and then get less expensive knock-off filters at Amazon. It was pretty easy to install with pex, and the filters last 6-12 months.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 6:56 PM, Elizabeth86 said:

I’ll have to see if dh can because he WON’T hire anyone for anything.🤣

If he's handy I'm sure he can. My husband doesn't do even basic handyman stuff, and don't do more than the very most basic when it comes to plumbing.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, maize said:

If he's handy I'm sure he can. My husband doesn't do even basic handyman stuff, and don't do more than the very most basic when it comes to plumbing.

Yes he is pretty capable. Anything that breaks in our house and car gets fixed by him. If he doesn’t know how, he figures it out.

On 12/30/2022 at 9:58 AM, Amy in NH said:

We got a Big Blue whole house filtration system for a little more than you're planning to spend for one sink.  It improved the taste, and also cut down rust and scale in our toilets and tubs, and the laundry looks cleaner!  If you look around a bit, you can find the right combination of filters for your situation in a purchase kit, and then get less expensive knock-off filters at Amazon. It was pretty easy to install with pex, and the filters last 6-12 months.

How did you install it?  Where did you run pipes from?  It looks complicated (to me)

On 12/28/2022 at 7:56 PM, Elizabeth86 said:

I’ll have to see if dh can because he WON’T hire anyone for anything.🤣

I installed ours on my own. It took me about an hour and was pretty simple. We already had the hole in the counter top though. Without that it might be more complicated.

18 hours ago, KeriJ said:

Does it mean that you end up washing dishes with filtered water? I can't get past feeling like it's a waste.

Nope. It has its own little faucet and will need it's own hole in the counter. We use it almost exclusively for drinking water and in some sensitive recipes. But normal tap for everything else. It makes such a difference for us. Our water comes from a lake that a few times a year just tastes like dirt. It takes all that away.

• Like 1

This is the one I have. I got it on recommendation from my mom who has had various ones for years. We've used it for about 2 years now and it has worked great for us. I'm considering getting a second one for our bathroom.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I0ZGOZM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Edited by MeaganS