Menu

Unflavored toothpaste (fluoride okay)

regentrude

3 minutes ago, regentrude said:

I tried baking soda for a couple of weeks, but it makes me gag and not want to brush my teeth. Blech

I know! It's so salty and gross! 

The Gly-Oxide isn't exactly appetizing, either, but it's much milder than the baking soda. It's a liquid (not watery, but nowhere near a toothpaste consistency,) and you just put a couple drops on your tongue and swish it around your mouth, and then start brushing. It gets foamy. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, eagleynne said:

What about bubblegum flavored toothpaste? Most of the major brands have it for kids. All of my local grocery stores have at least a couple different brands of it on the shelves.

I don't like the flavor, and since I do not know what exactly the allergen is, I am looking for a completely unflavored option

Squigle has a xylitol toothpaste with no flavor that is very palatable. Could you do a non mint toothpaste that still has flavor? There are citrus and anise and many others (even a kid flavor could work).

looks like the unflavored Squigle is the fluoride free one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MLOTZAY/ref=sspa_mw_detail_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9kZXRhaWw

This hydroxyapatite toothpaste has a very mild fruit flavor: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00XWTAMN6/ref=sspa_mw_detail_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1D6O7D4GN2XRS&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9kZXRhaWwp13NParams

That one has both fluoride and hydroxyapatite. It’s my preferred one due to its ingredients. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, regentrude said:

thanks, I saw these on amazon and was wanting to see if anyone has experiences and recommends one or the other

Well, I've never used the unflavored variety before, but I have used Sensodyne toothpaste for years to help with my sensitive teeth and I really like it. It seems to work well and it isn't as foamy as Crest, Colgate, etc.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, eagleynne said:

Yeah, I can't stand the bubblegum flavor either. I see on Amazon that Sensodyne has an unflavored toothpaste and Oranurse has one as well. Maybe one of these would work.

The Amazon search functionality is awful these days since it prioritizes paid promotions rather than relevance—the Sensodyne that comes up as the first suggestion for “unflavored toothpaste” is a strong mint flavor if you read the reviews. Very frustrating how they do that. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

The Sensodyne unflavored still tastes minty. When we lived somewhere where they fluoridated the water, Youngest used Tom’s of Maine brand toothpaste in strawberry flavor as she hates the taste of mint. I tried it, and it was nice. 

It has been donkey's years, but I remember the Tom's children's strawberry toothpaste being surprisingly pleasant. Same with their mango version. Very mild.

I also like their (adult) fennel flavored toothpaste--but admit the flavor is strong and polarizing.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tom’s makes my lips break out. It took me a long time to figure it out, but now that I’ve switched I no longer have the problem.

Just to say that “natural” doesn’t always equate to sensitivity-free ingredients (not that OP specified looking only for “natural” toothpaste).

• Like 1

My DH also has an oral allergy to mint. It was a relief when we finally figured it out!

He has used the Tom's of Maine Strawberry toothpaste for years. I know you're looking for an unflavored option, regentrude, but just wanted to share a product that worked for us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Selkie said:

I’ve read that many dentists say toothpaste is not even necessary, it’s the brushing and flossing that are important.

Ummm. The fluoride is the most important ingredient. Yes, the brushing and flossing will remove the plaque, but you want the fluoride to help prevent demineralization. 

Like others have suggested, try the kids flavors. Avoid the minty and cinnamon flavors. 

33 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

The fluoride is the most important ingredient. Yes, the brushing and flossing will remove the plaque, but you want the fluoride to help prevent demineralization. 

Hydroxyapatite appears to compare favorably to fluoride for those wanting an alternative (I mostly use a toothpaste that has both--plus xylitol--my teeth need all the help I can give them). Hydroxyapatite has the benefit of not being toxic if swallowed and is friendlier to beneficial oral flora.