Menu

Book recs for 7th grader interested in medicine/history of medicine

Trilliumlady

Looking for Xmas gift ideas here for 7th grade boy who just took MPOA History of Medicine and surprisingly loved it.  

I always get them a book or two for Xmas and have been racking my brain for some that might really interest him but am coming up short.  Fiction, non-fiction, any ideas from anyone in the Hive?

Slightly different but may be of interest The Disappearing Spoon by Sam Keen - https://www.amazon.com/Disappearing-Spoon-Adventure-Periodic-Elements/dp/0316388270/

This might be a little young, I can't remember, and it's hard to find, so maybe ILL? Doctors Who Conquered Yellow Fever
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VBIVOU/

Maybe this one? We've never read this one, but my biology/science loving girl really enjoyed "Lives of a Cell" by this author. I have no idea if this would be reading level/age appropriate or not. 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075WD2BR9/

When I was in middle school in the late 80's, there was a book I loved from the school library that was entitled "A Brief History of Medicine."  

But, it was out of date even then, and I've looked for it since and haven't found it anyway.  It was absolutely fascinating stuff, though.

2 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

My suggestion depends on the maturity of said boy-/the immortal life of Henrietta lacks is excellent , but touches on some gynelogical stuff and stds.  

I am just finishing this book and it is fantastic. I am a nurse and was fascinated. It also gives good understanding of some of the horrible abuses that have been present in medicine. However, it could be a bit much depending on how sensitive he is to adult situations-STDs, abuse, etc. I would recommend you pre-read it for this age.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tessamae said:

I am just finishing this book and it is fantastic. I am a nurse and was fascinated. It also gives good understanding of some of the horrible abuses that have been present in medicine. However, it could be a bit much depending on how sensitive he is to adult situations-STDs, abuse, etc. I would recommend you pre-read it for this age.

I agree that the Lacks book might be a bit much for a 7th grader.  Another issue might be the graphic descriptions of women's nether regions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tessamae said:

1 hour ago, EKS said:

I agree that the Lacks book might be a bit much for a 7th grader.  Another issue might be the graphic descriptions of women's nether regions.

You’re probably right. It’s been awhile since I read it and, well, let’s just say that my whole family is turning out of bed early tomorrow to get the cows ready for artificial insemination so my scale for what is appropriate for the general public is a bit skewed. 😬

• Haha 3

Sam Keane and Mary Roach have some edutainment type books that he might like. Though my DH warns that Keane’s The Dueling Neurosurgeons has a chapter in it that was pretty hard for him to take (and if it was hard for him to take, it must have been pretty darn bad). 

Not medicine, but along science lines, XKCD wrote a book called What If? that DH and our techy son enjoyed. It *might* have some language; he can’t remember.