Menu

Update: Dr. Hive: Bone density screening question

iamonlyone

Update: Just got my DEXA scores back, and they weren't great (osteopenia). So,  thanks for the encouragement to go ahead and get scanned! I just ordered the supplements @She Travels recommended. They have a money back guarantee, so I figure they are worth a try!

I am 56. I had an annual check up last week and asked when DEXA screenings usually start and if I should get one. The doctor said the recommendation is at 65. I said something like, "Oh, OK! I was just wondering since I actually met my insurance deductible for this year." She said, "Well, I guess you did have a bone fracture." (I had a skiing accident last May and had a compression fracture on the tibia head and a partially torn ACL, which is why I have met my deductible.)

When the women's clinic called to schedule a mammography, they said a DEXA was also scheduled.

Pros and cons of going ahead and getting the scan? I found an online FRAX tool asessment, and my score said that early screening was not warranted. (My only flags where the cracked tibia and a lower end of normal BMI.) I am fine boned though and a couple of my elderly relatives have (or had) osteoporosis (no broken hips in any relatives).

What says the Hive? Would you do the test or pass on the bit of extra radiation? Pros? Cons?

Edited by iamonlyone

I'd go ahead and do it, but I'm someone who had her first DEXA scan in her late 30's due to risk factors and have had several since then. I'm 59 and have been having them every two years for several years now. I don't think there are any cons. It's quick and easy, so . . why not?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I haven't had one, but my doctor brought it up as something to do once in menopause. She at first wanted me to schedule it, then thought for a moment and said we could wait a year, so I haven't done it yet. I'm 53.

My mother had osteoporosis, but my doctor didn't ask and didn't know that. She didn't mention a standard age to begin.

• Thanks 1

I am 54 and have had two already. My first one was about 22 years ago, after I was in a bad car accident and x-rays should cause for concern. My second one was at menopause age. I have struggled with low vitamin d all of my adult life (and likely did as a child) and have a family history of osteoporosis. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you, ladies! I'll keep the appointment. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

It does makes sense to me to do a check early in post menopause, since that is when a lot of bone loss happens, rather than waiting until 65.

I really appreciate the input! This was my first time visiting this doctor, and I felt like a lot of boxes were being ticked but that not a lot of information was being shared.

• Like 2

I was diagnosed with osteoporosis when I was only 49. After much research, I decided not to take any of the medications recommended by my doctor. I have some very strong feelings about the medications used in traditional treatment. My doctor said I would never experience the bone growth I needed without the medications. Well, I showed her! My bone growth has been phenomenal and within 18 months of my diagnosis, I had completely reversed my osteoporosis. I feel almost certain I will not even have osteopenia at my next Dexa scan. 

• Like 4

My oncologist says typically insurance would approve from 50 years old but chemo can cause bone loss so I had my dexa scan after chemo, surgery and radiation. My first scan results were scary and the second scan results two years later were much better. Compared to yearly MRIs and mammograms, I think the risk with dexa scans every two years isn’t high especially when my bones are very fine (I have to punch lots of extra holes on watch straps).

• Like 1

I got one just to determine body fat composition, etc, with the bonus of having bone density as well. I went to some place I found on groupon, so my answer is yeah, more info is better! Knowledge is power and all that. 

Obviously, if you can get it free and all you want is bone density then do it when you get your mammogram. But if you are interested in other stuff too, you can find places for under $100 that will do body composition as well as a bone density score. It's called "DexxaFit" when you do it that way. 

But if you just want to check bone health, get it free with insurance! And plus no extra trip/appointment? Yeah, defnitely. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, She Travels said:

I was diagnosed with osteoporosis when I was only 49. After much research, I decided not to take any of the medications recommended by my doctor. I have some very strong feelings about the medications used in traditional treatment. My doctor said I would never experience the bone growth I needed without the medications. Well, I showed her! My bone growth has been phenomenal and within 18 months of my diagnosis, I had completely reversed my osteoporosis. I feel almost certain I will not even have osteopenia at my next Dexa scan. 

Now I'm curious. Did you do dietary changes? Weight training?

8 hours ago, She Travels said:

I would love to know how you accomplished this if you don't mind sharing.

1 hour ago, AngelaGT said:

You might consider the new Echolight scan  https://www.echolightmedical.com/en/

I just had mine done last week and prefer it to the DEXA.  

There are not many locations that offer this new type of scan, but I was fortunate to be able to have it done 40 miles from my home in Asheville, NC.

That looks like a great tool! I wonder how one finds locations? My searches aren't coming up with much.

Below are current sites available for ECHOLIGHT exams:
  1. Dr. Andy Bush ( Orthopedic Surgeon )Central Carolina Orthopaedic AssociatesSanford, NC919-774-1355 (ask for James)
  2. Dr. Edmund Maclaughlin ( Rheumatologist) and Dr. Curtis Foy ( Family Medicine )Rheumatology Associates of DelmarvaEaston, MD410-819-6545
  3. StrengthXDr. Mike Lewen ( Chiropractor, Exercise Science )Asheville, NC828-505-7200
  4. XBody Health, Wellness, and SpaWayne, NJ973-692-9780
  5. AOCBV ( Arthritis & Osteoporosis Clinic of Brazos Valley )Dr. Ricardo PocurullCollege Station, TX979-696-8000

17 hours ago, iamonlyone said:

That looks like a great tool! I wonder how one finds locations? My searches aren't coming up with much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/3/2022 at 6:19 PM, Ditto said:

I would love to know how you accomplished this if you don't mind sharing.

I love to share what I did. First, because this part is the most important, is that I studied to understand how bone growth is accomplished so that I could speak knowledgeably with my doctor and not just trust what she was telling me. So bone growth happens because you have two different types of bone cells. Your osteoclasts are your bone cells that basically clean out the old dead bone cells to make way for new bone growth. Your osteoblasts are your bone cells that build up new bone growth. Basically, the medications given by doctors just kill your osteoclasts, so your bones no longer clean out the dead cells. So on your DEXA, it will look like your bones are improving because the scan can’t distinguish between dead and living cells. But your bones actually become weaker on the medications. Doctors know this because you can have problems such as increased risk of femur fracture and jaw necrosis. I highly recommend the book “Your Bones” by Lara Pizorno for more info on the medications. The products that I credit my bone growth to is called Algaecal and Strontium boost. If you research strontium, you may see bad things about it, but the type I am taking is a different type. 

• Thanks 4

7 hours ago, She Travels said:

If anyone has watched Dopesick on how OxyContin was sold, then you will understand how the drug market for osteopenia and osteoporosis grew after reading this article. Osteopenia was literally created to sell a drug. https://www.npr.org/2009/12/21/121609815/how-a-bone-disease-grew-to-fit-the-prescription

That article seems a bit fear mongerish to me. I was diagnosed with osteopenia a few years ago. The only "prescription" I've been given so far is OTC calcium+Vitamin D and weight bearing exercise. I know several people with diagnosed osteopenia and none have been prescribed Fosamax or any other drug. But I noted the article is from 2009, so it's quite outdated. For all I know way back then people with osteopenia may have actually been given a prescription. But I don't think that's commonly done now.

Edited by Pawz4me

3 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

That article seems a bit fear mongerish to me. I was diagnosed with osteopenia a few years ago. The only "prescription" I've been given so far is OTC calcium+Vitamin D and weight bearing exercise. I know several people with diagnosed osteopenia and none have been prescribed Fosamax or any other drug. But I noted the article is from 2009, so it's quite outdated. For all I know way back then people with osteopenia may have actually been given a prescription. But I don't think that's commonly done now.

Yeah, my mom IS on a drug for osteoporosis, but it was only prescribed, after much consideration and discussion, after she had had MULTIPLE fractures. When she had osteopenia she was advised supplements and exercise. (Osteoporosis runs in the family, her mom also had it and had fractures). 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

I was prescribed Fosamax by my endocrinologist two years ago. My oncologist reads my dexa scan results as well and advised 1500mg of calcium, weight bearing exercise, and switch me back to tamoxifen (which supposed help bones versus anastrozole). The anastrozole was recommended for post menopausal but can increase bone loss. 

6 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I was prescribed Fosamax by my endocrinologist two years ago. My oncologist reads my dexa scan results as well and advised 1500mg of calcium, weight bearing exercise, and switch me back to tamoxifen (which supposed help bones versus anastrozole). The anastrozole was recommended for post menopausal but can increase bone loss. 

I think things are different for cancer patients, both because of potential side effects of chemo drugs (and maybe radiation?) and if they have any bone involvement. I know patients with DH’s type of cancer who develop bone metastasis are usually put on Zometa to help strengthen the bones. 

On 10/7/2022 at 1:28 AM, Pawz4me said:

I haven’t read the article yet, but I can speak to the osteopenia/drug issue - I am on several osteoporosis facebook pages, and I can say that anecdotally, there are still many people whose doctors are prescribing drugs for osteopenia, so it is still something to be aware of.  

Anne

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • iamonlyone changed the title to Update: Dr. Hive: Bone density screening question