Menu

Dementia and sleep

chocolate-chip chooky

My 80 year old mother was diagnosed with early dementia a few months ago. 

She had minor surgery this week, and my sister and I tag-teamed caring for her around the clock at home for the post-operative care.

We both noted that she only sleeps for 10 min at a time, and then gets up and wanders around, bright and chatty. We both needed to keep guiding her back to bed, every 10 minutes, day and night.

We don't know if this is related to post-anaesthesia, or if it's a symptom of dementia, or if it's part of the cause of her dementia. We're not usually with her at night, so we don't know if this is her usual pattern.

I'll be speaking with her doctor this coming week, but I thought I'd ask here if any of you have elders with dementia and sleep issues like this, and how you deal with it.

One issue we have is that she makes phone calls to us in the middle of the night, so sorting out her sleep would be a huge help to us as well as her.

Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thank you 🌻

• Sad 3

What I saw was sleeping during the day, and wandering, agitation, and general sundowning at night. It’s not easy, and we didn’t even have the short sleep duration that you’re seeing.

Eta how we dealt with it: we needed twenty-four hour care. Night shifts are not cheap. We were at the point of giving up at home, and transferring my mother to a memory care unit, when her condition declined rapidly until that wasn’t needed.

Edited by Innisfree
  • Like 2

I would definitely check in on post-surgical delirium just in case, especially if she wasn't doing this prior to the surgery. It is never bad just to confirm with the doctor.  Keep in mind that not sleeping is keeping her from healing properly.  

ETA: I disagree that this is "normal" for all dementia patients. Only you know what is normal for your mom.  And you can expect a decline after a surgery, but if this seems off to you, I would listen to your gut.

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 3

I have young onset Parkinson’s, which has some overlap into dementia and memory issues. I have horrible sleep issues, including anxiety and paranoia during night hours, which leads to poor sleep and worsening of memory during the day. I have been on prescription sleeping pills for a few years. They were effective for a year or so, then not. My doctor just increased my dose this week and the difference has been amazing. I sometimes feel like memory and sleep can be a downward spiral. Of course, with sleeping pills or with getting up at night, one has increased risk of nighttime falls.

• Sad 2

Just now, Grace Hopper said:

IME this is a feature of dementia. It’s one of the things that makes elder care for those with dementia so challenging - the need for 24-hr caregiver vigilance. It truly takes a team. 

Quoting myself to say - I agree with @cintinativethat anesthesia/hospital delirium may still be at play, so give it time. However, disruptive sleep pattern is a *very common* feature of dementia. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone. 

I'd like to think that some sort of sleep medication could be an option, but I'd be concerned about her getting up and wandering around under the influence. She could have a fall or turn the stove on or who knows what. 

She lives with my Dad, but he's 81 and also aging in his own ways. He can't supervise her day and night.

I'll chat with her doctor and see if we have any options. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, GoVanGogh said:

I have young onset Parkinson’s, which has some overlap into dementia and memory issues. I have horrible sleep issues, including anxiety and paranoia during night hours, which leads to poor sleep and worsening of memory during the day. I have been on prescription sleeping pills for a few years. They were effective for a year or so, then not. My doctor just increased my dose this week and the difference has been amazing. I sometimes feel like memory and sleep can be a downward spiral. Of course, with sleeping pills or with getting up at night, one has increased risk of nighttime falls.

I'm sorry about your diagnosis.  I always have hope that when these things are diagnosed early and at a younger age, more will be discovered that can really help people in your situation!  

My mother has dementia.  Interestingly, she had sleep issues all of her adult life, but after her dementia set in, she has been sleeping better than ever.  I don't know how to explain that!