Menu

What are your favorite large breed puppy toys for energetic, heavy chewers?

Alte Veste Academy

I have a 2 year old black lab (who is a saint), a 1 year old shepherd mix (3/4 saint, 1/4 sinner), and a 4.5 month old malamute/German shepherd mix (currently 1/2 saint, 1/2 sinner, which is pretty good for such a young pup, I think, lol). The pup is DD17’s, but I do a lot of the caretaking because of school and the fact that DD, whose bedroom is upstairs, has had a broken foot for 4 weeks. That’s tough navigating on crutches. 

Looking for favorite safe chews, for sure, but also intellectual stuff to keep this girl engaged. We do have some of those find-the-treat puzzles, and she solves them far too quickly. No “hard” ones yet though, so what are your favorites in that category?

I am very tired. On the bright side, she was a brilliant potty-trainer! 

Required pics as payment… 

FE15FE5C-A490-4ADD-B9B4-AAB7D046635D.jpeg

2E74560A-9A1C-4A67-8DCF-526B16BBD73E.jpeg

8675EDC7-62E0-4C69-BE75-06DD1257EBB0.jpeg

• Like 11

My sister has rottweilers. The only toy they haven't demolished quickly is a Jolly ball horse ball. And that lasts maybe a year or two. It is most definitely only an outside toy. Kongs? Destroyed within one evening. I'll be watching to see if anyone suggests something that might work for her dogs too!

• Like 1

My large pit destroys all toys fast. Last Christmas dd got him something he loves and hasn’t been able to destroy. It still has a ton of life on it and he chews it a lot. Made in the USA from recycled materials too.

https://www.westpaw.com/collections/dog-toys/products/hurley-dog-bone?variant=37784636948678

• Like 2

My dog isn't large, but "is" a chewer. So while only one of these is a puzzle, they do keep him busy. His favorite things (in order) are: 

1. https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/benebone-bacon-flavored-wishbone-chew-toy He loves this thing, and we always take one with us if we travel anywhere. It helps with anxiety, too. Available at Amazon and other places.

2. I couldn't find a link to this on any of the sites, but I bought it at Petco. It is hard rubber, about six inches long. I wish it had one more link. He likes to throw it up into the air, sling it around, and also play "get this from me" with us. 

084FF51E-A864-4F40-8826-3E44B31290E9.heic

3. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T3L3TFQ/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&aaxitk=442941939ed06e23187959ced2f241a3&content-id=amzn1.sym.23f45115-415a-4a09-9429-618a77607965%3Aamzn1.sym.23f45115-415a-4a09-9429-618a77607965&hsa_cr_id=1232752800201&pd_rd_plhdr=t&pd_rd_r=899a30ed-fc09-45c8-b7e4-91e85af67ae0&pd_rd_w=FyCbY&pd_rd_wg=cnWoT&qid=1659984844&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_lsi4d_asin_2_title&sr=1-3-5aa29f2a-1490-4ae2-848e-815fb6406bcf&th=1  I don't like that the tube inside to put the treats moved out of place pretty early on, but we can still put treats in it, and he likes it.

4. The basic Kong with peanut butter.

ETA: I don't know why it uploaded the photo as a link instead of including the photo. I promise it is just a photo of the toy.

Edited by Jaybee
  • Like 1

Love the pics of your adorable puppies! 😍

We've puppy-sat for a few Labradors and golden retrievers who were fairly aggressive chewers. These have held up the best -- I don't know if there's a difference in hardiness with different flavors -- I'm just linking for the shape and specific product:

Nylabone: antler alternative
Nylabone: power chew
Benebone: stick shape
Benebone: y-bone shape
Kong: chewstix

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

We've found that Monster K9, Goughnuts, and ABTOR make the most durable chew toys. Here are toys that have stood the test of time with our enthusiastic large breed chewers:

Monster K9:

https://smile.amazon.com/Indestructible-Football-Chew-Toy-Replacement/dp/B07X6HYMS2/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=23ESGKW22IBGU&keywords=monster+k9+football&qid=1659992205&sprefix=monster+k9+football%2Caps%2C158&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyUTdJVFZIMEZOWUlQJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTY1MDQ2M0dETzRMVlYxU1pYSSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODM4MDc0MjNRRlJWNzlFTEpBMyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

https://smile.amazon.com/Indestructible-Tug-War-Dog-Toy/dp/B084Z48M5S/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=21VTJYNWJEXO5&keywords=monster+k9+boomerang&qid=1659992243&s=pet-supplies&sprefix=monster+k9+boomerang%2Cpets%2C140&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFOODBGNE9MSzNTODEmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA3MDc1NjAzMElNUzlPS1k0STk2JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA4Mzg3MjIzVEdSSEZUNERQNTBFJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B084YR27VC?pd_rd_i=B084YR27VC&pf_rd_p=0e085ce4-a814-4f4b-b24c-1b9dbfa919e0&pf_rd_r=BWFR6WWVRBQB0YR3XB0S&pd_rd_wg=U3zE6&pd_rd_w=99KGp&pd_rd_r=7cd462e2-a581-4130-9c4a-54deffc71b80

Goughnuts:

https://smile.amazon.com/Goughnuts-MaXX-Pro-Stick-Indestructible/dp/B0997V74LL/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=7R3GH1SWLM4X&keywords=goughnuts+dog+pull+toy&qid=1659992399&sprefix=goughnuts+dog+pull+toy%2Caps%2C170&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFMUzQyTEZBM1BNNEgmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA1MTE3MDExWFo4UEkzOVYyVzImZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDk4ODUxMjJPVVZaRlZOTUpaVDYmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

https://smile.amazon.com/Goughnuts-Virtually-Indestructible-Guaranteed-Aggressive/dp/B006NPRXU6/ref=sr_1_5?crid=JVHB0MQ43LEI&keywords=goughnuts+dog+ball&qid=1659992450&sprefix=goughnuts+dog+ball%2Caps%2C179&sr=8-5

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B093QG1F6D?pd_rd_i=B093QG1F6D&pf_rd_p=0e085ce4-a814-4f4b-b24c-1b9dbfa919e0&pf_rd_r=MR6Y748MKS5ACXAKAJK1&pd_rd_wg=lDszl&pd_rd_w=9bReD&pd_rd_r=0bdc1bba-3158-4d34-900f-763186fc2d44

https://smile.amazon.com/Goughnuts-Virtually-Indestructible-Guaranteed-Aggressive/dp/B0996YDBXX/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=2HG3N4QG7TVIA&keywords=goughnuts+dog+pull+toy&qid=1659992961&sprefix=goughnuts+dog+pull+toy%2Caps%2C175&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&smid=A15N46PT94L4YZ&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyU0YwMTdTTTJUUTZIJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDQ2NzA5MzFHOE1MNFoyTFdLRSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTc1MDY1MTVYU0pVN0xMRERKNCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

ABTOR:

https://smile.amazon.com/Aggressive-Indestructible-Teething-Interactive-Birthday/dp/B07ZNKLKK8/ref=sr_1_5?crid=19PAXX2QA55LV&keywords=abtor+chew+toy&qid=1659992576&sprefix=abtor+chew+toy%2Caps%2C134&sr=8-5

Edited by Selkie
  • Like 2

Thank you all so much! I’ve added so much to my cart! I’ve got my fingers crossed she’ll love some of them and that my middle child/pup will share nicely. LOL

1 hour ago, stephanier.1765 said:

All that mud, though! 😂🤣😂 I'm sorry for laughing but that innocent face surrounded by all the tell tale paw marks is cracking me up. No advice but all your pups are adorable!

Right!?! Mud is not something we have ever had a problem with before she arrived! That morning she found a small area under a jasmine bush without enough granite and went to town. That was a rough, rough morning for me. I can look at it now and laugh, but OMGosh I was fried that day.

35 minutes ago, Toocrazy!! said:

Older lab now, but when he was younger and chewed a lot, we’d freeze his food in the strongest kong like a popsicle. 

Such a good idea! It’s so hot here, and she loves ice, so I’m sure this will be a hit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toocrazy!! said:

Older lab now, but when he was younger and chewed a lot, we’d freeze his food in the strongest kong like a popsicle. 

37 minutes ago, Alte Veste Academy said:

...Such a good idea! It’s so hot here, and she loves ice, so I’m sure this will be a hit. 

We also have made "kibble-cicles" in water in this Nylabone hoof toy. (stuff kibble into the hoof, fill in with water, balance carefully in freezer until frozen through). Now, we leave it as a treat for our NON aggressive chewer pet dog, so I don't know how that would stand up to an aggressive chewer. However, just on its own (not as a kibble-cicle), the hoof has held up pretty well when the aggressive chewer puppies visit. 😉

Also -- goughnuts... We have the "cigar" shape and the figure 8 shape. They work GREAT as long-lasting tug toys. But our aggressive chewing puppy visitors have managed to chew cracks into both, so we no longer leave these out for just chewing. Puppies can play tug all they want, but the minute they start chewing on the goughnuts, those toys are put away. Way too expensive to have those chewed into pieces in just a few sessions by aggressive chewing puppies! 

• Like 1

Depending on the food you use, it’s sometimes hard to get the food to freeze without falling out the top hole of the Kong. What I ended up doing was stuffing the hole with cheese and then putting in the food and filling with water. Then I stood it up in a glass and put it in the freezer door. Sometimes the water would still leak out, so I’d just refill and refreeze. I never really found an easier way:) if they eat wet food instead of kibble, that would be a lot easier! 

8 minutes ago, Toocrazy!! said:

Depending on the food you use, it’s sometimes hard to get the food to freeze without falling out the top hole of the Kong. What I ended up doing was stuffing the hole with cheese and then putting in the food and filling with water. Then I stood it up in a glass and put it in the freezer door. Sometimes the water would still leak out, so I’d just refill and refreeze. I never really found an easier way:) if they eat wet food instead of kibble, that would be a lot easier! 

We fill the small hole with peanut butter before filling the Kong. 

• Like 1

We've had really good luck with West Paw dog toys, particularly the Hurley and Tizzy. This was for labs, german shepherd, standard poodle and border collie puppies and adults. They make toys in all kinds of different shapes, and they last very well. Otherwise, we have luck with Kong  toys for heavy chewers. No luck at all with any kind of soft toys. They always get destroyed within minutes. 

West Paw - Tizzi - Small (4.5"/11 cm) Aqua Blue   Hurley, Large / Tangerine | Rocky Mountain Dog

https://www.westpaw.com/collections/dog-toys/products/tizzi-dog-toy

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Toocrazy!! said:

My wee little 6.4 pound puppy is busily entertaining himself with a frozen Kong right now. It only has a couple of teaspoons of canned dog food frozen in it, but that's enough to keep his little self occupied for a good while.

34 minutes ago, wintermom said:

We've had really good luck with West Paw dog toys, particularly the Hurley and Tizzy. This was for labs, german shepherd, standard poodle and border collie puppies and adults. They make toys in all kinds of different shapes, and they last very well. Otherwise, we have luck with Kong  toys for heavy chewers. No luck at all with any kind of soft toys. They always get destroyed within minutes. 

West Paw - Tizzi - Small (4.5"/11 cm) Aqua Blue   Hurley, Large / Tangerine | Rocky Mountain Dog

https://www.westpaw.com/collections/dog-toys/products/tizzi-dog-toy

My Boston destroyed those in a few days.  The company did honor the warranty once but she destroyed the new one again.  

1 minute ago, itsheresomewhere said:

My Boston destroyed those in a few days.  The company did honor the warranty once but she destroyed the new one again.  

That must be a really powerful chewer, and out of the ordinary, IME. The West Paw dog toys are given to all new puppies for the guide dogs for the blind in our area. This org is very, very careful about the toys they allow their lab, golden retrievers, shepherds and poodles. 

19 minutes ago, wintermom said:

That must be a really powerful chewer, and out of the ordinary, IME. The West Paw dog toys are given to all new puppies for the guide dogs for the blind in our area. This org is very, very careful about the toys they allow their lab, golden retrievers, shepherds and poodles. 

Bostons are really good at chewing/destroying.  We had a Boston meet up this weekend and had a death of toys count.  😆 

• Haha 1

My sister uses a monthly subscription  for heavy chewers for her dog. She said she was able to choose hard or soft chew toys and has been very happy with what she's received. They've included puzzles and balls. I don't know the name of it, but I can ask if you're interested.