Menu

PSA: Daily Harvest Recall--urgent if you eat Daily Harvest food

maize

I'm one of the victims of liver poisoning from eating Daily Harvest food. If anyone here is a customer and hasn't seen the recall, information is below. In particular, if you ever ate the Lentil and Leek Crumbles you need to get labs to test your liver function. They have not been proactive in getting this information out to customers.

https://www.marketplace.org/2022/06/30/daily-harvest-recall-raises-concerns-about-the-need-for-more-food-regulation/

• Sad 22

7 minutes ago, maize said:

I'm one of the victims of liver poisoning from eating Daily Harvest food. If anyone here is a customer and hasn't seen the recall, information is below. In particular, if you ever ate the Lentil and Leek Crumbles you need to get labs to test your liver function. They have not been proactive in getting this information out to customers.

https://www.marketplace.org/2022/06/30/daily-harvest-recall-raises-concerns-about-the-need-for-more-food-regulation/

I'm so sorry to hear that you're one of the people who got sick. I read about this in the news a few weeks ago. Have they figured out what exactly caused the problem? Best wishes for a quick recovery. 

52 minutes ago, maize said:

Oh my gosh.  I am so sorry that happened to you.  How are you doing?  I hadn't heard about this so thank you for posting.  I had no clue this could even happen from lentils.  Scary.

41 minutes ago, Selkie said:

I'm so sorry to hear that you're one of the people who got sick. I read about this in the news a few weeks ago. Have they figured out what exactly caused the problem? Best wishes for a quick recovery. 

No specific answers yet, though both the FDA and private labs are supposedly working to identify the source of the problem.

• Sad 2

I hope they update on what it is. I saw this on their site. They have ruled out the usual suspects. So it has to be something rare.

https://www.daily-harvest.com/content/french-lentil-leek-crumbles-advisory#

While additional testing is underway, results to date rule out the following:

• Hepatitis A

• Norovirus

• A range of mycotoxins, including aflatoxins

• Food-borne pathogens including Listeria, E.Coli, Salmonella, Staphylococcus Aureus (Staph), B.Cereus, and Clostridium Species

• Major allergens including egg, soy, milk, and gluten

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh my gosh.  I am so sorry that happened to you.  How are you doing?  I hadn't heard about this so thank you for posting.  I had no clue this could even happen from lentils.  Scary.

I was just doing some reading about it and they don't even know if it was an ingredient or possibly the way the food was stored or handled. It is really scary. I wanted to check because we eat lentils all the time (and quinoa, which was another ingredient) and I had never heard of this happening.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Selkie said:

I was just doing some reading about it and they don't even know if it was an ingredient or possibly the way the food was stored or handled. It is really scary. I wanted to check because we eat lentils all the time (and quinoa, which was another ingredient) and I had never heard of this happening.

Us too.  My kids love lentils, so this worries me

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Us too.  My kids love lentils, so this worries me

I really think it is specific to this Daily Harvest product and was likely caused by some kind of contamination.

I've eaten plenty of lentils in my life and have never had issues at all prior to this.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

So just the lentils from Daily Harvest?  Nothing else? 

Some people are saying they had issues from eating the flat bread as well.

The major problem seems to be the Lentil and Leek Crumbles, and most other DH foods are probably totally fine. 

Doesn't mean I'm eating anything from them right now, I've been sicker this month than any other time in my life!

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

3 hours ago, maize said:

I posted the original recall here last month and didn’t expect the effects to be so bad 😞 Original recall link (June 23) https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/daily-harvest-issues-voluntary-recall-french-lentil-leek-crumbles-due-potential-health-risk

Updated recall link https://www.fda.gov/food/outbreaks-foodborne-illness/investigation-adverse-event-reports-french-lentil-leek-crumbles-june-2022 (June 30)

“If you experience symptoms including yellowing of the skin and eyes (jaundice), dark urine, itching with no rash, gastrointestinal illness, nausea, fatigue, body aches, severe abdominal pain and/or fever after consuming this product, please consult with your healthcare provider. Let your healthcare provider know you have recently consumed the recalled Daily Harvest French Lentil & Leek Crumbles. Healthcare providers should report these illnesses to their health department.

Case Counts

Total Adverse Illness Events: 133 *
Hospitalizations: 42 *
Deaths: 0
Last illness onset: June 21, 2022 *
States with Adverse Illness Events: CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, IL, IA, IN, MA, MD, MI, MO, MT, NH, NJ, NY, NC, OH, OR, PA, RI, TN, TX, VA, WA, WI
Product Distribution: Nationwide
* estimate based on consumer complaint and CAERs reports”

Lawsuits https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/recalls/article263034428.html

“In New York, where Daily Harvest is based, the law firm of Heisman Nunes & Hull and the food safety firm Marler Clark filed a federal lawsuit on behalf of a Tulsa, Oklahoma woman who had her gall bladder removed last Friday, June 24.

… Attorney Bill Marler said another Marler Clark client, a mother nursing her 4-month-old baby, claimed her liver, gall bladder, neurological system and blood platelet count were affected. She said she was considered for the Intensive Care Unit on the third day of an eight-day hospitalization. Instead, he said, she was moved to a tertiary care center (a specialized hospital) for acute liver failure. She dealt with 103-degree fever, vomiting, severe stomach and rib pain.

Marler said of the 127 people his Seattle-based law firm represents, 20 have had their gall bladder removed. He said the vast majority were healthy women between the ages of 25 and 45 who ate the crumbles in question.

In Multnomah County, Oregon, attorney Jeff Bowersox filed a civil suit on behalf of Luke Wesley Pearson, a resident who told his Instagram followers (now at 80,700) that he ate the crumbles May 29 and June 6 and eventually required gall bladder surgery.

The lawsuit says “Daily Harvest specifically sought out [Pearson] and provided Lentil Crumbles to [Pearson] for the purpose of encouraging [Pearson] to consume the Lentil Crumbles and to influence his followers by posting about the taste, quality and desirability of Lentil Crumbles.”

Pearson’s lawsuit also reiterates the social media criticism of how Daily Harvest handled the possibility of problems with the crumbles.

“Instead of immediately and urgently warning purchasers and consumers of its product of the potential danger to their physical and emotional health that would occur from eating the contaminated Lentil Crumbles,” the Pearson lawsuit says, “Daily Harvest instead went into a “product reputation protection mode” and minimized the concerns of injured consumers who notified the company of their illnesses after eating the Lentil Crumbles.””

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Wow, I’ve never heard of tara flour. I wonder if it was contaminated, or how exactly it made people sick.

Me neither 

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-07-19/daily-harvest-french-leek-lentil-crumbles-tara-flour-recall-fda-food-poisoning?_amp=true
“The direct-to-consumer company, which counts Serena Williams and Gwyneth Paltrow among its investors, used the flour in a product for the “first and only time” this year, Chief Executive Rachel Drori said Tuesday.

Made from the seed of a tree that’s native to Peru, tara flour is high in protein and fiber and is sometimes used as a thickening agent in vegan recipes. 

… The company will keep working with federal regulators and the producer of the tara flour “to help determine what specifically made people sick,” Drori said in an email to customers. 

She did not name the firm that supplied the tara flour.

Foodborne illness attorney Bill Marler, who is representing 285 Daily Harvest customers, said identifying the ingredient is a start but “really isn’t saying much.” 

But, he said in an interview, outside experts — including the Food and Drug Administration and a lab hired by his firm — haven’t found a cause for the illnesses either.“

• Like 1