Menu

Kids' Detangling Shampoo

Rainbowresource.com has a good detangling conditioner and a spray for afterwards and they are all natural.

DD's just started using conditioner and my oldest has hair down to her bottom w/curls and she says it works good.

I feel your pain, I used to hate the cries after a bath.

The detangling shampoos I've used (L'oreal, Johnsons & Johnson's and Suave), have never been quite enough. My oldest daughter gets conditioner (or creme rinse), and we have bottles and bottles of the spray detangler for in between hair-washing.

My younger daugher's hair is still short enough that I just need the "detangling" shampoo and spray.

FWIW, they both have hair with a tendancy to curL... and LOTS of tangles, knots, and rats' nests in the morning.

I think the L'Oreal is better than the Suave, but I generally buy the Suave. I also use the Suave detangling spray. My girls have straight hair, but they tangle easily (I often say that Templeton has taken up residence in their hair). For both of them, there is a point at which a hair cut is necessary. I keep their hair long, but Lily's stays more tangle free when it is about to the bottom of her shoulder blades (longer and it is a bear to deal with). Francie's hair is longer and finer. Waist length for her is the max she can go, then the tangles get unruly. So, you might consider a good trim, too.

There isn't one that works to keep tangles away. Use a separate conditioner. Be careful to not add more tangles when you are toweling. Don't let them go to bed with a wet head. If it is morning tangles that are the problem then the best two solutions we have are nighttime braids and morning baths. Other than that, after the bath, comb in a little bit of conditioner and leave it there. Never comb dry hair - a little spray bottle of water helps. Pantene makes a nice spray-on, leave-in conditioner.

I have given up on products for kids. Tear free is nice and all, but it just doesn't work. There are still tears if there are tangles!

We're currently using Tresemme shampoo & conditioner. My girls are 7 & 8 and wash their hair themselves, but even when they were littler, I would just rinse their hair very carefully while they laid down in the tub. I haven't found a spray conditioner/detangler that works on its own. This has really helped, though. That and they brush their own hair now, too. ;)

My daughter's hair is thick, long and prone to tangles. She showers everyday (shampoos and conditions) to try to tame it. The natural shampoos and conditioners just don't seem to work on her hair. Suave works ok.....but, she is sensitive to the strong perfumes. Has anyone found a natural shampoo/conditioner that works really well? Or, does anyone know if Suave has a fragrance-free version?

thanks!

After far too many tears from both mother and curly-haired kid here, we finally decided upon having her hair thinned out at a salon.

Her hair would grow out to sides as much as it would grown down toward shoulders. Once I had to clip out a mat about one square inch, which she kept for awhile and named "Harry."

Life was much more enjoyable after the thinning decision. Gradually we cut down on the thinning visits as she learned more about how to care for her hair herself.

If she is prone to tangles, I would first quit shampooing everyday. It is a horrible idea. I know. I was shocked when it was first suggested to me. My hair is curly. I now condition daily - or every other day and shampoo once a week or more if I swim or get sweaty. The shampoos strip the natural oils from the hair.

Also look at vitamins for the hair - B complex, C+E, beta-carotene, Flaxseed. It helps.

For combing hair between washes---like in the morning--I bought a cheap little spray bottle from the HBA department and then added a Tablespoon or so of conditioner and then fill the bottle with water and shake.

This works great as a detangling spray and is CHEAP.

Is there one that actually works????

There are just toooooo many tears in this house...

TIA!

My dd's long tangly hair is now tamed. Wash with conditioner only--no shampoo! Apple cider vinegar in the final rinse water does help. I do the little-bit-of-conditioner-in-a-spray-bottle-of-water trick too. Really helps.

Once in awhile if I want her hair to look really nice I wash it with conditioner and don't rinse it out. That makes it REALLY easy to comb, and it gets curlier than normal too.

I can't believe the lack of tangles since we started doing these things! I don't even need a brush anymore.

HTH

Cost cutters leave in conditioner. I bought it when I brought dd to get her haircut and we realized she had gum in her hair. The hairstylist sprayed this on her hair and the gum slid right out. I bought a bottle and use it just about daily on dd and never had a problem. I imagine any leave in conditioner would work well.

We're really trying to do the natural/organic products thing in our house, so dd(8) uses either California Baby shampoo and conditioner on her hair, or Dr. Bronner's mildest liquid soap. There's also a product that Bronner's makes called Organic Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse (Citrus) that I'll use on dd's hair about once a week. It needs to be highly diluted before use.

Finally, oftentimes I'll rinse dd's hair with diluted apple cider vinegar, and if the knots are really bad even after shampooing and conditioning, I put some vinegar in a spray bottle, dilute it with water and spray it in as a leave-in conditioner. Sometimes she complains that she smells like an Easter Egg, but it does the trick!

My daughter's hair is thick, long and prone to tangles. She showers everyday (shampoos and conditions) to try to tame it. The natural shampoos and conditioners just don't seem to work on her hair. Suave works ok.....but, she is sensitive to the strong perfumes. Has anyone found a natural shampoo/conditioner that works really well? Or, does anyone know if Suave has a fragrance-free version?

FWIW

I'm sensitive to scents and various things in cosmetics too but I can use some of the naturals and I have wavy to curly hair. I like this one, it's pretty pricey:

http://www.vitacost.com/Desert-Essence-Organics-Fragrance-Free-Conditioner-Pure

I can also use the Desert Essence Tea Tree Conditioner and I like the smell without it being irritating - whatever they use to cover up the tea tree smell works for me. moisturizes quite well and is less expensive than the fragrance free.

my son's hair is quite curly also and got to shoulder length last time before I could cut it again. I use the suave 2-in-1 shampoos mixed with a big glob of aussie moist conditioner to wash his hair and then rinse well. I even used the aussie moist on my niece's hair as a detangler, maybe a marble size amount for her shoulder length straight hair. Then I would comb it straight back off her head and detangle and it actually seemed to give her more body that way. But as far as scents and allergen ingredients? I can't use the aussie moist, I don't know why for sure... makes my scalp break out which on me is usually an allergic reaction.

One problem with the detangling shampoos/conditioners is that they contain silicones in various forms (in 'natural' products too). When the 'cones build up they can actually cause more tangling.

My child with thick hair gets 'cone buildup very easily. She's best off using no silicones whatsoever, and her hair does best if washed and conditioned everyday with 'cone free products. Some do much better with much less frequent washing. Some curly folks do best using ONLY conditioner to wash hair....no shampoo (see naturallycurly.com )

The younger one has very fine, thin, delicate hair that breaks with suprising ease. She needs silicones in her products to protect her hair. So she uses them, but once a week, we use a mild clarifying shampoo to strip the cones out and start over (so her hair doesn't start to get ratty).

If you're finding yourself on the snowball of ever increasing rats nests....consider that silicones in shampoos and conditioners and detanglers may be the culprit and act accordingly.

:)

K

Edited by cillakat