Menu

S/O Monkeypox news & polio news

Arcadia

Third case in Aus today in a man in NSW. He had travelled to QLD but as far as I could see no overseas travel: also a case in Morocco. I think UK is at around 189? 111 MSM not all. 

Someone pointed out today that if this isn’t contained it could become a significant issue for hotel industry etc with laundering linens safely. I don’t know it that’s a legit worry or not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Someone pointed out today that if this isn’t contained it could become a significant issue for hotel industry etc with laundering linens safely. I don’t know it that’s a legit worry or not.

I think chambermaids would have disposable gloves on and maybe lined their linen trolley bins with large “trash bags” to throw after the rounds since trolley bins are harder to wipe clean.

• Like 2

https://www.barrons.com/news/american-with-monkeypox-flees-mexican-hospital-01654744507

“A US citizen with monkeypox escaped from a hospital in a Mexican resort and fled the country, local health authorities said Wednesday.

The 48-year-old man, originally from Texas, fled the hospital in Puerto Vallarta on Mexico's Pacific coast last weekend despite having been told by medical staff that he should be tested for monkeypox and kept in isolation, the state health department said in a statement.

When he arrived at the hospital, the patient had symptoms of "cough, chills, muscle pain and pustule-like lesions on his face, neck and trunk," the agency said.

After fleeing the medical facility, the Texan then went to the hotel where he was staying with his partner and caught a flight out of Puerto Vallarta on June 4, before authorities were able to locate him.

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed to Mexican authorities on Monday that the patient had returned to the United States where a test confirmed he had monkeypox.

Prior to arriving in Puerto Vallarta on May 27, the individual was in Berlin, Germany, between May 12 and 16, and subsequently in Dallas, Texas.”

• Sad 3

The news on this appears to have gotten quieter. From reading between the lines, it appears part of the problem is that most people are being affected in a sensitive region and the disease does not look "Typical" there at all. Which may be part of why it went unnoticed for so long.

I've also read they are thinking of renaming Monkeypox to be culturally sensitive. I hope they keep the pox in the name so we can know which disease it is related to.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

The news on this appears to have gotten quieter. From reading between the lines, it appears part of the problem is that most people are being affected in a sensitive region and the disease does not look "Typical" there at all. Which may be part of why it went unnoticed for so long.

I've also read they are thinking of renaming Monkeypox to be culturally sensitive. I hope they keep the pox in the name so we can know which disease it is related to.

https://fortune.com/2022/06/15/the-americas-health-watchdog-just-went-on-emergency-alert-over-monkeypox-outbreak/
“The Americas have seen 230 confirmed cases so far—the majority in the U.S. and Canada, said Dr. Carissa Erienne, director of the PAHO, at a World Health Organization media briefing.

Some countries lack training in identifying the virus, endemic to Africa and rarely seen outside of it until this year’s global outbreak. Training in Brazil last week led to the detection of the country’s first case, and similar training will take place in the Caribbean this week. Such training will likely increase case counts, she added.”

The people were not objecting to monkeypox but to naming of the clades (versions)

https://virological.org/t/urgent-need-for-a-non-discriminatory-and-non-stigmatizing-nomenclature-for-monkeypox-virus/853
Current classification

In the current classification of MPXV genetic diversity only two clades of MPXV are recognized – referred to as the “West African” clade and the “Central African” or “Congo Basin” clade[10]. However, these historic MPXV clade names are counter to the best practice of avoiding geographic locations in the nomenclature of diseases and disease groups [11,12]. The recent and prompt example implemented for SARS-CoV-2 should be the norm [11]. Given the increasingly rapid communication of, and attention to, the international human MPXV outbreak, it is important to consider an appropriate, non-discriminatory, and non-stigmatizing nomenclature and classification of MPXV clades. In recent publications[12] and symposia, including the WHO Research and Development (R&D) symposium, it was highlighted that the current global outbreak was caused by MPXV of the West African clade. Some genome sequences on the NCBI Genbank database use “West African” for the field “strain” or “genotype” (including the NCBI reference genome: NC_063383 10). Like many previous geographic labels of infectious diseases based on locations of first detection, it is misleading and inaccurate because very limited surveillance and limited diagnostic capacity means that the full range of the pathogen is not known. This is crucially demonstrated by the discovery in May 2022 that MPXV has been circulating in over 44 countries without detection and is likely to be present in many more.

Proposed Classification

Here, we propose a novel classification of MPXV that is non-discriminatory and non-stigmatizing and aligned with best practices in naming of infectious diseases [11] in a way that minimizes unnecessary negative impacts on nations, geographic regions, economies and people and that considers the evolution and spread of the virus.

We propose the classification of three main clades; MPXV clades 1, 2 and 3, named in order of detection. These include viral genomes from Western African, Central African and localized spillover events in global north countries and from both human and non-human hosts (Figure 1A). Here, clade 1 corresponds to the prior “Congo Basin clade”, while clades 2 and 3 corresponds to the prior “West African clade”. These three clades represent deep MPXV diversity, accumulated over many years of evolution in the animal reservoir. Further sequencing of MPXV from the animal reservoir may potentially uncover further clades 4, 5, 6, and so forth”

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Training in Brazil last week led to the detection of the country’s first case, and similar training will take place in the Caribbean this week. Such training will likely increase case counts, she added.”

This is both reassuring and worrying at the same time. 

19 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

I think renaming is a good idea because I’ve seen so much confusion on this one with people thinking it comes primarily from monkeys. Earlier in this outbreak, there were a good number of complaints that all the pictures being shared in the media of the rash were using people of African descent, despite that not being the location of the outbreak in question ,and my thought at the time which seems probably to be borne out was that due to the location of the current rashes they didn’t have an appropriate set of current images to share. I have since seen they have some more updated ones with rashes on hands and such.

There is so much ridiculousness about all this on social media though, with people saying this isn’t monkeypox it’s shingles and it’s being caused by the Covid vaccine and the conflation of monkeypox, hepatitis B (which can be caught from monkeys), hepatitis A currently coming from strawberries, and the acute hepatitis of unknown etiology currently happening in children. The people posting clearly have no idea that these are four entirely different things, despite three of them having to do with inflammation of the liver. They all think these four things are caused by the Covid vaccine of course 🙄. People are out of their minds these days. 

• Sad 3

16 minutes ago, KSera said:

I think renaming is a good idea because I’ve seen so much confusion on this one with people thinking it comes primarily from monkeys. Earlier in this outbreak, there were a good number of complaints that all the pictures being shared in the media of the rash were using people of African descent, despite that not being the location of the outbreak in question ,and my thought at the time which seems probably to be borne out was that due to the location of the current rashes they didn’t have an appropriate set of current images to share. I have since seen they have some more updated ones with rashes on hands and such.

There is so much ridiculousness about all this on social media though, with people saying this isn’t monkeypox it’s shingles and it’s being caused by the Covid vaccine and the conflation of monkeypox, hepatitis B (which can be caught from monkeys), hepatitis A currently coming from strawberries, and the acute hepatitis of unknown etiology currently happening in children. The people posting clearly have no idea that these are four entirely different things, despite three of them having to do with inflammation of the liver. They all think these four things are caused by the Covid vaccine of course 🙄. People are out of their minds these days. 

I haven't seen any of that nonsense.

And see I thought I saw an article complaining all the pictures were on WHITE skin and how was a doctor to know what to look for on black skin because so many disesases look different there.  I had not heard the word clade at all. Though I had heard that in Africa were two main versions and the one that appears to be circulating is the less deadly one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

Count yourself lucky! I've been following the pediatric hepatitis stuff as closely as I can, and that causes me to see a lot of nonsense mixed in with the valid med twitter stuff.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

And see I thought I saw an article complaining all the pictures were on WHITE skin and how was a doctor to know what to look for on black skin because so many disesases look different there. 

These photos/videos were similar or identical to the ones I saw on various news webpages and news on social media. They were all dark skin.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/goodbye-smallpox-vaccination-hello-monkeypox

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/united-arab-emirates-detects-case-monkeypox-84937991

2 hours ago, KSera said:

There are also claims that the current version of monkeypox is another "bioweapon" from the lab in Wuhan that "created" covid. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KSera said:

And also Justin Bieber’s thing is vaccine related. Never mind that he had Covid a couple of months ago. I thought people would stop downplaying covid when we started seeing after effects but it seems they’re just going to blame them all on the vaccine.

7 hours ago, Corraleno said:

There are also claims that the current version of monkeypox is another "bioweapon" from the lab in Wuhan that "created" covid. 

7 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

And also Justin Bieber’s thing is vaccine related. Never mind that he had Covid a couple of months ago. I thought people would stop downplaying covid when we started seeing after effects but it seems they’re just going to blame them all on the vaccine.

Yup. It’s almost hysterical if it weren’t. They’ll list off all these things and say, “hmmmm, what’s changed in the last year, hm? Couldn’t be the jab, could it? 🙄” As if the pandemic itself wasn’t happening. It’s crazy. Even the hepatitis in kids who are too young to be vaccinated, but not spared from having Covid itself is somehow because of the vaccine 🤪

• Like 2

https://au.yahoo.com/news/new-theory-deadly-monkeypox-western-australia-005527008.html

evidence that it is   sexually transmitted 

The World Health Organisation has confirmed that it’s looking into whether the disease could be sexually transmitted, after the virus was found in the semen of patients.

Scientists have detected viral DNA in a handful of those with monkeypox in Italy and Germany.

They say their results suggest that the virus found in the semen of a single patient is capable of infecting another person and replicating.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

https://au.yahoo.com/news/new-theory-deadly-monkeypox-western-australia-005527008.html

evidence that it is   sexually transmitted 

The World Health Organisation has confirmed that it’s looking into whether the disease could be sexually transmitted, after the virus was found in the semen of patients.

Scientists have detected viral DNA in a handful of those with monkeypox in Italy and Germany.

They say their results suggest that the virus found in the semen of a single patient is capable of infecting another person and replicating.

This seems to be the only logical explanation for the current patterns now. I guess the question is whether or can also forward transmit in other ways which seems like yes.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 2:40 PM, KSera said:

I haven't heard this, so I must've done a better job than I thought of weeding people out on my social media in the last two years, lol! Or else the moderately crazy ones have finally shut up. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I haven't heard this, so I must've done a better job than I thought of weeding people out on my social media in the last two years, lol! Or else the moderately crazy ones have finally shut up. 

Yeah, I guess it’s one downside of me not using social media accounts; I don’t have a way to weed out things. I’m seeing the stuff on Twitter which I just read by either looking up specific accounts I like to get information from or doing a search for particular term. It’s the search for a particular term that gets me in trouble 😱

• Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 2:08 PM, vonfirmath said:

Yeah, I read a whole article, freaking out that I was going to catch monkey pox and end up with sores on my private parts, only to get to the end and realize it was on those areas due to sexual contact, NOT that they got it from brushing against someone in line at the grocery store and then manifested sores on their delicates. Which was TERRIFYING> 

• Like 2

My county put this out as a PSA. They used two guys for the image of the poster though 🤦‍♀️

”Know your STD status. Most STDs are treatable. Monkeypox can have similar symptoms to STDs and appear on similar parts of your body. If you think you might have monkeypox, talk to your doctor right away.”

• Like 2

https://virological.org/t/monkeypox-virus-genome-sequences-from-multiple-lesions-indicates-co-infection-of-a-uk-returning-traveller/873#post_1

Multiple samples from the same traveller show different genomes existing in the same individual making epidemic tracking a bit more tricky.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/who-looks-into-reports-monkeypox-virus-semen-2022-06-15/

Monkeypox detected in se?en for the first time (trying to avoid spammers sorry)

There’s a lot of people commenting on WHO and government websites removing the word airborne from their documents about monkey pox. So far, the spread doesn’t seem to look airborne more close contact/STD but apparently historically it has spread that way. So possibly the virus has changed or there was something missed in the older outbreaks.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 1:59 PM, vonfirmath said:

And see I thought I saw an article complaining all the pictures were on WHITE skin and how was a doctor to know what to look for on black skin because so many disesases look different there.  I had not heard the word clade at all. Though I had heard that in Africa were two main versions and the one that appears to be circulating is the less deadly one.

I have seen so much nonsense that I am kind of sick of wading through garbage to get to things that actually inform me.  Every time they have one of the younger people die- it is the vaccine--in one particular glaring case, it was a car accident.  But, no, let's jump to conclusions and say vaccine or on the other hand, COVID.  If we don't know, we don't know.

I heard about the two versions, that rodents are the vectors, where the original mass events were,  and yes, I think I read the same article,

On 6/16/2022 at 3:04 PM, kbutton said:

No,  I am not seeing this on Facebook.  Nor on Twitter.  I am seeing this in comment sections of sites where I do wander in sometimes because the original article was so lacking in information that I check to see if there is more.  Or comments on Twitter or some such stuff.   THe usual places where dregs of society rein but also you can at times get good leads to more information.  Because it is a den of both normal thinkers and nutcases and drama people.

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://virological.org/t/monkeypox-virus-genome-sequences-from-multiple-lesions-indicates-co-infection-of-a-uk-returning-traveller/873#post_1

Multiple samples from the same traveller show different genomes existing in the same individual making epidemic tracking a bit more tricky.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/who-looks-into-reports-monkeypox-virus-semen-2022-06-15/

Monkeypox detected in se?en for the first time (trying to avoid spammers sorry)

There’s a lot of people commenting on WHO and government websites removing the word airborne from their documents about monkey pox. So far, the spread doesn’t seem to look airborne more close contact/STD but apparently historically it has spread that way. So possibly the virus has changed or there was something missed in the older outbreaks.

Which is why UK announced earlier this week that it is offering vaccinations to certain segments of the Gay, Bi, whatever community that are the ones who are promiscious.  And back whenever, that was the group that was targeted by the CDC to be very cautious.  On another note, the CDC also went recently and urged that group to be getting meningitis vaccines because not only are camps, schools, universities, good breeding grounds for it but also giant rave  and sauna parties.  

And just to add an explanation why I do more research is because the headlines and minimal stories just said that UK to give vaccine to gays and bi people with no mention of that it is only a segment of them.  Cause my first thought went to one of my former students who is gay, married to another man, and doesn't seem to be of the personality to be at special risk.  (I am friends with him on Facebook as I am a number of my former students and speech and debate students cause they are also kids who were my kids' friends.)

58 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

And just to add an explanation why I do more research is because the headlines and minimal stories just said that UK to give vaccine to gays and bi people with no mention of that it is only a segment of them.  Cause my first thought went to one of my former students who is gay, married to another man, and doesn't seem to be of the personality to be at special risk.  (I am friends with him on Facebook as I am a number of my former students and speech and debate students cause they are also kids who were my kids' friends.)

For me, I wanted to know because an aerosol borne virus is going to pose a much higher threat level to my family than an STD. At this stage I’m not seeing much evidence for that aside from historic. An-in between scenario with contact and surface transmission would also be a concern but less so. Could be a problem for aged care, group living scenarios. I think public health are being very cautious around the communication because they are worried about stigma, so it can be hard to get clear answers. Obviously the more widespread it becomes the more risk it changes to something more worrying as well.

https://theconversation.com/monkeypox-is-not-a-global-emergency-for-now-says-who-3-things-we-need-to-know-next-about-how-its-mutating-and-spreading-185297?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=bylinetwitterbutton

Just in case anyone is still following this, this is a pretty clearly written summary of what we know and where things stand at the moment. WHO decided not to declare it a PHEI for now.

• Like 2

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2022-06-15/who-to-share-vaccines-to-stop-monkeypox-amid-inequity-fears (JUNE 15, 2022 11:13 AM PT)
“The World Health Organization said it’s creating a new vaccine-sharing mechanism to stop the outbreak of monkeypox in more than 30 countries beyond Africa. The move could result in the U.N. health agency distributing scarce vaccine doses to rich countries that can otherwise afford them.

To some health experts, the initiative potentially misses the opportunity to control monkeypox virus in the African countries where it’s infected people for decades, serving as another example of the inequity in vaccine distribution seen during the COVID-19 pandemic.

… Vaccines for smallpox, a related disease, are thought to be about 85% effective against monkeypox. The WHO’s Europe director, Dr. Hans Kluge, said Wednesday that he was concerned by the scramble by some rich countries to buy more vaccines without talk of buying supplies for Africa.

Kluge urged governments “to approach monkeypox without repeating the mistakes of the pandemic.” Still, he did not discount the possibility that countries like Britain, which currently has the biggest outbreak beyond Africa, might receive vaccines through the WHO.

… Some African experts questioned why the U.N. health agency has never proposed using vaccines in central and West Africa, where the disease is endemic.

“The place to start any vaccination should be Africa and not elsewhere,” said Dr. Ahmed Ogwell, acting director of the Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. He said the lack of any vaccines to counter monkeypox on the continent, where more than 1,500 suspected cases and 72 deaths have been reported this year, was a more critical concern than the clusters of mostly mild disease being reported in rich countries.

“This is an extension of the inequity that we saw during COVID,” said Dr. Ifeanyi Nsofor, a Nigerian infectious diseases physician and consultant at the communications agency Upswell. “We have had hundreds of monkeypox cases in Nigeria from 2017 until now and we’re just dealing with it on our own,” he said.

After the COVID-19 pandemic exploded in 2020, global health agencies rushed to set up COVAX, a U.N.-backed effort to distribute COVID-19 vaccines. But rich countries bought up most of the world’s supply, and the COVAX program missed multiple targets to share doses with the world’s poor.

To date, only about 17% of people in poorer countries have received a single dose of COVID-19 vaccine. Some experts fear the same thing could happen with monkeypox.

… According to the health data and analytics firm Airfinity, the U.S. has at least 1.4 million doses of vaccine and has ordered an additional 13 million. To date, the U.S. has reported 72 monkeypox cases.

Francois Balloux, an infectious diseases expert at University College London, said vaccination efforts in rich countries should prompt an overhaul of future monkeypox response strategies in Africa.

“It really should be a priority to vaccinate people in Africa, where there is a nastier strain that has actually killed people,” he said, adding that more monkeypox spillovers were likely in the future.

“Whatever vaccination happens in Europe, that is not going to solve the problem,” Balloux said.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/monkeypox-symptoms-differ-previous-outbreaks-uk-study-2022-07-01/
“LONDON, July 1 (Reuters) - Patients with monkeypox in the UK have noticeably different symptoms from those seen in previous outbreaks, according to researchers in London, raising concerns cases are being missed.

Patients reported less fever and tiredness and more skin lesions in their genital and anal areas than typically seen in monkeypox, the study of 54 patients at London sexual health clinics in May this year found.

… The research from London, published in the Lancet Infectious Diseases Journal, follows suggestions from public health bodies like the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that the outbreak - which is spreading chiefly among men who have sex with men – is presenting unusually.

The authors, from a number of institutions including Chelsea & Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, said case definitions should be reviewed to avoid cases being overlooked, particularly as monkeypox can "mimic" other common sexually transmitted infections (STI) like herpes and syphilis. The study also found that a quarter of the monkeypox patients were HIV positive, and a quarter had another STI.“

3 minutes ago, kbutton said:

We need to be getting healthcare workers immunized. Does anyone know if we are immunizing contacts of people with it?

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/nyc-to-reopen-monkeypox-vaccine-appointments-wednesday-afternoon/3763366/?amp
“The NYC Dept. of Health and Mental Hygiene tweeted around 10:45 a.m. that more doses had arrived and that it would make appointments to inoculate people. But just before 1 p.m., it said an "unfortunate glitch" made those slots available early, promising more would come available later in the day.

The department later said it would honor all of the erroneously made appointments from earlier in the day. 

The news comes as the city reported that the number of cases continues to double week over week. There were 119 cases as of Wednesday, versus 62 a week earlier.

The city launched a surprise vaccine clinic last month, but it lasted only hours before running out of enough doses of vaccine to handle walk-ins.

D1BEE3CA-4DA8-46EF-B9D3-40A42BA82B38.thumb.jpeg.30ab2e55d5ea6eb8d28b975ec6726486.jpeg

9936DB38-0906-44D8-8362-62110F384711.jpeg.266607816ec00f3bb272d9a72d8ccb05.jpeg

• Like 2

@kbutton there is a shortage of vaccine 

https://www.sfchronicle.com/health/article/Bay-Area-health-officials-scramble-to-contain-17280555.php  (July 3rd)

“Vaccination efforts around the country are currently held up by lack of supply. Two vaccines are authorized for prevention of monkeypox, though the preferred product — called Jynneos — is in much shorter supply. The second vaccine, called ACAM2000, has side effects that for some people could be worse than the illness itself.

The U.S. last week announced plans to rapidly ramp up its vaccination efforts with Jynneos. So far, about 66,000 doses have been delivered to states with monkeypox cases; an additional 240,000 doses are expected to go out in the coming weeks, and at least 1.6 million total doses should be available by the end of the year, according to the CDC. On Friday, the U.S. Health and Human Services Agency said it had ordered an additional 2.5 million doses, which will be available at the end of this year and in 2023.

California, which has about a quarter of all cases in the U.S., expected to receive about 15,000 doses by the end of last week or early this week. Jynneos is administered in two doses given 28 days apart.

Bay Area counties reported receiving anywhere from 10 doses to more than 500, in San Francisco. That’s not enough to offer vaccination to everyone who might want it, so local health officials say they are targeting only those with a known exposure at the moment. That includes people identified through contact tracing of reported cases, people who hear informally that a partner was recently diagnosed, or those who attended an event or venue associated with one or more monkeypox cases.

“We don’t have enough for everybody,” said Frank Strona, the incident management lead for the San Francisco Department of Public Health’s monkeypox response. Strona said more than 200 doses had been administered in the city as of Friday morning. “We anticipate more batches every few days,” he said.

Once more vaccine becomes available, officials said, they hope to offer it to people at risk of becoming infected but who don’t necessarily have a known exposure. The vaccine may not ever be needed for the general public if the outbreak is contained.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

The fact that the CDC's approach to testing a rapidly spreading disease is, yet again, totally inadequate is just infuriating. You'd think they would have learned their lesson from the huge mistakes they made with covid (like refusing to test anyone unless they had just returned from China, ignoring the huge influx of cases from Italy), and yet here they are, doing it again, as if they've learned nothing. <screams into the void>

• Thanks 6
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Corraleno said:

The fact that the CDC's approach to testing a rapidly spreading disease is, yet again, totally inadequate is just infuriating. You'd think they would have learned their lesson from the huge mistakes they made with covid (like refusing to test anyone unless they had just returned from China, ignoring the huge influx of cases from Italy), and yet here they are, doing it again, as if they've learned nothing. <screams into the void>

YES.  YES.  YES.  This is the worst to feel like it is 2020 all over again.  

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://www.theepochtimes.com/exclusive-english-primary-school-closes-class-due-to-monkeypox_4593227.html

Epoch times is not my preferred source. Anyone know if this is true or seen confirmation elsewhere?

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/london-school-sends-reception-class-120529770.html
“Grand Avenue Primary and Nursery School in Surbiton, south London told parents that there was “extremely low risk to our community” after the close contact, but as a precaution they were closing reception classes until the end of term - two weeks away.

It read: “The whole of the Reception team and the School leadership are devastated that the end of this academic year is having to finish this way for the children.”

The school apologised for “the short notice” but said they were acting on advice from the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) and are “obliged to follow these precautionary guidelines.”

On July 3, Thorn Grove Primary School, in Stockport sent pupils home for three weeks after a member of the school community tested positive for the virus.

It comes as more than 1,700 cases of monkeypox have now been recorded in the UK, with 75 per cent of cases in London.

Last week charities warned monkeypox could become endemic in Britain without more action from the Government.

“Monkeypox cases are currently doubling every 15 days and we have now reached a critical point in our ability to control its spread,” said Dr Claire Dewsnap, president of British Association of Sexual Health & HIV.

The department for health said on Tuesday the outbreak has mainly been in gay, bisexual, and men who have sex with other men “without documented history of travel to endemic countries”.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1