Menu

Pandia Press taking a political stance

LawDog

Pandia Press, which publishes History Odyssey and some science materials that we have used, have stated they are now donating profits to LGBTQ causes and have ensured their US history curriculum addresses head-on the treatment of marginalized groups in society including the LGBTQ community.

• Like 3

You are upset......that a history curriculum.....addresses history?

Okay then.

There are other programs for you.

ETA: here's Pandia's blog post about the curriculum for anyone wondering: https://www.pandiapress.com/history-quest-united-states-a-timely-curriculum-for-elementary-history-and-civics-education/

Also, I served in the military, too.  Teaching history is not a showing they "hate the U.S.".  I'd recommend not using your service as a conjunction with your opinions in order to give them undue weight.

Edited by HomeAgain
  • Like 7

Welcome to the forums!

I don't think that addressing the problematic parts of US History equates to hatred of the US. I, too, served in the military and appreciate the freedoms and strengths of our country. But, I don't think it's healthy or accurate to ignore or minimize the sometimes horrific treatment of marginalized groups throughout US history.

Like HomeAgain says, you are free to change curriculum. 

• Like 3

Was there another post by OP that I missed? I couldn't tell from the OP whether the poster is sharing because they are happy or upset about these changes. Follow ups make it sound like the latter, and mention the military, but I don't see where that part is coming from. The first post still sounds equally like it could go either way.

3 hours ago, LawDog said:

Pandia Press, which publishes History Odyssey and some science materials that we have used, have stated they are now donating profits to LGBTQ causes and have ensured their US history curriculum addresses head-on the treatment of marginalized groups in society including the LGBTQ community.

• Like 2

I don't even know what to say to this. Anyone who has been paying any attention to anything about curricula knows that Pandia are a secular press that have also taken a pretty clear stance on other issues in the past like the reality of climate change in their science materials.

This is like when newbies post with shocked tones that Apologia is Christian. Like, DUH.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

6 hours ago, LawDog said:

Good for them!!! 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Slache said:

Why doesn't she have the edit thing? I want to not have the edit thing!

This is what confused me.  I  kept going back up looking for the Edited line.  

And yes, I don't see why this would surprise anyone.   Didn't they give away a Climate Change and a Social Justice unit curriculum in the past year or so?

Edited by Wheres Toto
  • Like 2

Pandia Press (I first searched Panda Express, oops!  lol) has been mentioned to me, but I honestly haven't looked at any samples until today.  I'm pretty conservative, but perhaps more towards the middle as I do lean left in certain ways, and there was nothing in the sample that concerned me.  Actually, it looks like it spends more time talking about early history (I thought that was neat), and there is a section on women.  I'm not sure where the LGBTQ history is or how it is approached.  My only objections when it comes to sensitive material is when things are not age appropriate.  If something is designed to be used with children as young as Kindergarten, I don't feel they should be reading explicitly about rape, for example.  Yes, I have seen that before.  This year we did Christian Studies through Memoria Press.  We consider ourselves Christians, but my children haven't studied the Old Testament in depth until this last year.  Wow were they introduced to a few things!  Like men having multiple wives, parents having favorite children...   There are so many interesting people and things to learn about from the past.  I got a few different book ideas from the sample.  

I left the Pandia Press FB groups bc I felt they went beyond balanced to far left.  I do have some of their history and science curriculum,  and I will continue to use them, but I'm not buying anything new.  I agree with hearing all voices, but the tone of their groups feels like the flip side of the ultra Christian groups. 

19 hours ago, Ting Tang said:

Pandia Press (I first searched Panda Express, oops!  lol) has been mentioned to me, but I honestly haven't looked at any samples until today.  I'm pretty conservative, but perhaps more towards the middle as I do lean left in certain ways, and there was nothing in the sample that concerned me.  Actually, it looks like it spends more time talking about early history (I thought that was neat), and there is a section on women.  I'm not sure where the LGBTQ history is or how it is approached.  My only objections when it comes to sensitive material is when things are not age appropriate.  If something is designed to be used with children as young as Kindergarten, I don't feel they should be reading explicitly about rape, for example.  Yes, I have seen that before.  This year we did Christian Studies through Memoria Press.  We consider ourselves Christians, but my children haven't studied the Old Testament in depth until this last year.  Wow were they introduced to a few things!  Like men having multiple wives, parents having favorite children...   There are so many interesting people and things to learn about from the past.  I got a few different book ideas from the sample.  

Their community is super leftie and Blair Lee, who writes most of their science materials, is also the founder of SEA Homeschoolers and is pretty well known for her liberal political views. Their materials are much more middle of the road in my experience. I'd say they're just the teeniest step left of what you'd see in a public school text if at all.

They have revised their stuff over the years though, so it's possible that they'll get more political as time goes on. But I would even say that their history stuff before they did the last big set of revisions was more conservative leaning on the whole.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Farrar said:

Their community is super leftie and Blair Lee, who writes most of their science materials, is also the founder of SEA Homeschoolers and is pretty well known for her liberal political views. Their materials are much more middle of the road in my experience. I'd say they're just the teeniest step left of what you'd see in a public school text if at all.

They have revised their stuff over the years though, so it's possible that they'll get more political as time goes on. But I would even say that their history stuff before they did the last big set of revisions was more conservative leaning on the whole.

I just like to find things that are different, especially with history.  Sometimes I feel like the same historical figures and events are covered in US history.  This one looks pretty good to me! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've used a lot of their stuff and their materials are pretty center.  Comparing them to what my kids are using in public jr. high and high school, they are right of the public school materials. There is little commentary in the assignment sheets, and most of the books assigned are the typical list of age appropriate historical fiction. 

Good on them for supporting equal rights for everyone.

• Like 1