Menu

Well-trained bodies - May

Laura Corin

Well yesterday I got in about 8 miles of walking. On our Sabbath my husband wants to do two walks plus my friend likes to walk as well. So I got some sore spots in sensitive places if you know what I mean. Today I tried to elliptical but those sore spots stopped that. And I had a sore throat and decided to test just in case. I'm covid positive so now I'm stuck in my room. Annoyed and bored.

• Sad 7

27 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Pretty worn out by having family here - continual conversation and somewhat difficult (but not malign) personalities.  We did go for a walk together, and then after I had driven them to the airport I managed to do some yoga. 

I hope you get some good recovery time. I find hosting (and being hosted) even people I like to be exhausting.

15 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

Well yesterday I got in about 8 miles of walking. On our Sabbath my husband wants to do two walks plus my friend likes to walk as well. So I got some sore spots in sensitive places if you know what I mean. Today I tried to elliptical but those sore spots stopped that. And I had a sore throat and decided to test just in case. I'm covid positive so now I'm stuck in my room. Annoyed and bored.

Oh no! I hope it’s mild and that you recover quickly. 

• Like 5

17,424 steps + 30 minutes rowing + week 11 yoga

I'm trying to figure out where to fit in dedicated ab and leg workouts but I've been motivated by my current routine and I don’t want to skip one thing just to replace it with another. Maybe I can add a 15-20 minute session before rowing in the morning. 

• Like 6

I hope its a very mild case, and you recover quickly @YaelAldrich.  Covid is no fun!  

I'm in a rush- we are on vacation but I still wanted to post my weekly results and a goal.  I find if I post it here, I try harder.  Last week I got 10K steps in every day except Saturday- and we were traveling all day.  Food intake was good- not too much and not too little.  I cheated Friday and had a couple candy bars bc I needed it 🍫🙃

This week we will be walking all over theme parks everyday, so will get my steps in for sure.   I'm going to focus on eating as healthy as I can without depriving myself of a few treats.  We tend to eat out only 1x a day.  I’ve already stocked the fridge with yummy fruits, and have some dinners planned.  

• Like 8

Feeling flu-y today, which seeing as how we had visitors at the weekend, makes one wonder.  They have all had Omicron, and they tested negative each day, so probably not an issue.  It was quite a tiring weekend, and the fields are full of oilseed rape flowers, so I suspect it's probably just tiredness plus allergies.

I did 15 minutes of gentle yoga first thing - I was feeling a bit shaky, so didn't push it.  I'll go for a gentle walk at lunchtime and otherwise just rest.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

9 hours ago, BusyMom5 said:

I hope its a very mild case, and you recover quickly @YaelAldrich.  Covid is no fun!  

I'm in a rush- we are on vacation but I still wanted to post my weekly results and a goal.  I find if I post it here, I try harder.  Last week I got 10K steps in every day except Saturday- and we were traveling all day.  Food intake was good- not too much and not too little.  I cheated Friday and had a couple candy bars bc I needed it 🍫🙃

This week we will be walking all over theme parks everyday, so will get my steps in for sure.   I'm going to focus on eating as healthy as I can without depriving myself of a few treats.  We tend to eat out only 1x a day.  I’ve already stocked the fridge with yummy fruits, and have some dinners planned.  

Ya, you made it!!! Have a big fun time!!!  Enjoy some treats! You'll be so active that you'll burn it off. (hope that back is not bothering you too much)

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

Feeling flu-y today, which seeing as how we had visitors at the weekend, makes one wonder.  They have all had Omicron, and they tested negative each day, so probably not an issue.  It was quite a tiring weekend, and the fields are full of oilseed rape flowers, so I suspect it's probably just tiredness plus allergies.

I did 15 minutes of gentle yoga first thing - I was feeling a bit shaky, so didn't push it.  I'll go for a gentle walk at lunchtime and otherwise just rest.

Sorry Laura, hopefully it is just a bit of allergies and fatigue.

17 hours ago, YaelAldrich said:

Oh, no 😞 thinking of you, hope it is a short and easy case.

• Like 3

Trying not to spaz..... trying not to spaz

Trying to iron out last minute details. Continually thinking of something I forgot. We leave Thursday. I took care of some big items yesterday, as did dh. Making a list right now.

MORE shopping today. I HATE shopping. I finally gave up Saturday after 5 hrs with 1 thing left on my list. Looking again today and returning some other items.Last minute cleaning. Got the laundry/pantry done yesterday. Mostly need to sweep and mop and help girls with their rooms.

Today: 45 min lower body strength- 

Probably won't take an actual walk with so much to do around here but we'll see what progress I make and how quickly (probably not very as everything takes longer than planned). Still haven't finished shoveling mulch but that shouldn't take long. 

• Like 7

@YaelAldrich and @Laura Corin - I hope both of you are getting some rest and will be feeling healthy soon.

I did get some more steps scooting between venues at the theatre festival yesterday, but still needed a 3K walk in the evening to meet my daily goal.

Walked the usual 4K this morning and spent about 30 minutes on the floor doing strength and stretching stuff. 

Spring Start Challenge: 484.1 of 500K
Walking Streak: 21 days

• Like 7

17,187 steps + 30 minutes rowing

The pollen is in full force here right now and my allergies are making me feel dead tired. I did quite a bit of gardening this morning, including dividing and replanting some irises, and my abs can feel the shoveling. I skipped yoga tonight to give them a rest. I’m still nervous about overdoing it.

• Like 6

On 5/22/2022 at 2:11 PM, YaelAldrich said:

Oh no! Hope you don't get too sick. Covid is no fun. 

15 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Hope you are feeling better soon. Glad you had a nice visit.

14 hours ago, Soror said:

Trying not to spaz..... trying not to spaz

Trying to iron out last minute details. Continually thinking of something I forgot. We leave Thursday. I took care of some big items yesterday, as did dh. Making a list right now.

MORE shopping today. I HATE shopping. I finally gave up Saturday after 5 hrs with 1 thing left on my list. Looking again today and returning some other items.Last minute cleaning. Got the laundry/pantry done yesterday. Mostly need to sweep and mop and help girls with their rooms.

Today: 45 min lower body strength- 

Probably won't take an actual walk with so much to do around here but we'll see what progress I make and how quickly (probably not very as everything takes longer than planned). Still haven't finished shoveling mulch but that shouldn't take long. 

Is this your trip to Europe? Hope you have a wonderful time!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My body is so sore!! I did 10 hours of yard work today. We had a huge storm on Saturday afternoon that took out our power for 2 days. The only thing I could do was work outside on my pondless waterfall and bike around trying to find coffee and food. The waterfall area is looking good. Couldn't start the pump because no power. But I was also just offered a pile of amazing rocks to use in the waterfall from my neighbour. So now I need to bring them over to my yard without breaking my body. 😉 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, wintermom said:

My body is so sore!! I did 10 hours of yard work today. We had a huge storm on Saturday afternoon that took out our power for 2 days. The only thing I could do was work outside on my pondless waterfall and bike around trying to find coffee and food. The waterfall area is looking good. Couldn't start the pump because no power. But I was also just offered a pile of amazing rocks to use in the waterfall from my neighbour. So now I need to bring them over to my yard without breaking my body. 😉 

Welcome back! I can't wait to see your waterfall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, wintermom said:

Is this your trip to Europe? Hope you have a wonderful time!!

Yes, and with the last month being so crazy. I had not finished some lose ends I should have taken care of. We're trying to take care of the last details. We've divided things up but just so many details and logistics and a lot already going on. 

You over did it? I'm shocked 🙂 Glad to hear you made it through the big storm. 

@YaelAldrich and @Laura Corin how are you two feeling?

Edited by Soror
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Today: strength upper body 45 min (good thing it is upper as my hip is really bothering me--- I've tried to add back more weights on some moves but evidently did too much). The vaca break will be good for me. 

And more things to do than time so we'll see what I get done.

-unloading rest of mulch

-clean exterior and interior of my car

-cook soup, dry pears, make apple crisp, batch of ginger, garlic chili soup (working on clearing out perishables)

- sweep, mop kitchen, clean master bath

-more paperwork- stupid forms from dr's about accident

- take girls to tkd and return items to 3 stores and buy dry snacks for trip ( I *hope* my last shopping trip)

• Like 6

Opted to wait a little later to walk last night. I've been trying to move that walk earlier in the evening so I don't end up in that "I really just want to sit down and watch TV or noodle around on the computer, but I still need to walk at least 4K" situation. But it was very warm here yesterday, and waiting until the sun was on its way down seemed like the best idea. The dog opted out of the walk, which meant I was free to go at my own pace and walk as long as I wanted to go (4.6K).

Started this morning with a 4.25K walk and then spent about 20 minutes doing the standing strength and stretching/PT routine I haven't done since my knee went wonky back in March. It felt pretty good, but I kept it gentle. Finished the morning with 15 minutes on the stationary bike (at very low resistance). 

Will top off the day as usual with an after-work walk to reach the day's step goal.

Spring Start Challenge: 493.0 of 500K
Walking Streak: 22 days

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Soror said:

Yes, and with the last month being so crazy. I had not finished some lose ends I should have taken care of. We're trying to take care of the last details. We've divided things up but just so many details and logistics and a lot already going on. 

You over did it? I'm shocked 🙂 Glad to hear you made it through the big storm. 

I can understand how trying to organize an international trip in the face of all the trauma in your family has been really hard, not to mention the situation in the Ukraine. I hope that you have an amazing time.

Yes, once again I've overdone it. I think the stress in my life just prompts me to go into hypersonic activity mode as a coping mechanism. My mom's situation, compounded by the tension between my sister and her husband, against my brother and I hasn't been easy. And losing power and any means of communicating with them hasn't helped.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

15,126 steps+ week 12 yoga + extra flexibility work

My muscles are still so tight even after doing yoga diligently for 3 months now. Since it’s been a specifically recovery focused yoga it hasn’t all been flexibility related, but I’m still frustrated that there hasn’t been any improvement. I have an appointment soon with a sports DO who can hopefully help me get it sorted (as well as a few additional issues).

• Like 6

I'm so sorry you are still dealing with a lot of stress. I hope that things have been improving? What's your current situation? Big hugs to you and your family.

Too much school stress. 3.5 more weeks. They upped the pay to teach summer school because no one will do it--we're all just completely fried.

Tonight we will have dinner with the family we would love to have foster our dd. But they just shared that they can't find anyone to hire so it's all up in the air. There are people out there who aren't vaccinated (let go from other caregiving situations that all require it now), but that's a requirement. Anyway, that's an added stress that we may need to start all over with finding care. Our caregiver was out Friday and Monday, so it's going on 6 weeks of lost care since the start of the school year. That is definitely a stressor here, particularly on dh.

• Sad 6

It was a rest day today. I mowed the backyard, walked each dog separately, and otherwise did nothing. My muscles aren't screaming out in pain anymore, which is a great thing. I had no desire to do anything else, though. I contemplated going for a quick kayak paddle, but decided to let my arms rest all day. I think it was a good choice, even though the evening was gorgeous.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, MEmama said:

15,126 steps+ week 12 yoga + extra flexibility work

My muscles are still so tight even after doing yoga diligently for 3 months now. Since it’s been a specifically recovery focused yoga it hasn’t all been flexibility related, but I’m still frustrated that there hasn’t been any improvement. I have an appointment soon with a sports DO who can hopefully help me get it sorted (as well as a few additional issues).

Did you have flexibility issues before is that a new thing? Are you gaining any flexibility in the moves you are doing?

9 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

Too much school stress. 3.5 more weeks. They upped the pay to teach summer school because no one will do it--we're all just completely fried.

Tonight we will have dinner with the family we would love to have foster our dd. But they just shared that they can't find anyone to hire so it's all up in the air. There are people out there who aren't vaccinated (let go from other caregiving situations that all require it now), but that's a requirement. Anyway, that's an added stress that we may need to start all over with finding care. Our caregiver was out Friday and Monday, so it's going on 6 weeks of lost care since the start of the school year. That is definitely a stressor here, particularly on dh.

Oh, no I really hoped that was going to work out 

It was a rest day today. I mowed the backyard, walked each dog separately, and otherwise did nothing. My muscles aren't screaming out in pain anymore, which is a great thing. I had no desire to do anything else, though. I contemplated going for a quick kayak paddle, but decided to let my arms rest all day. I think it was a good choice, even though the evening was gorgeous.

Glad to hear you had a rest day, those are so good for us even when hard to do 

20 hours ago, wintermom said:

I can understand how trying to organize an international trip in the face of all the trauma in your family has been really hard, not to mention the situation in the Ukraine. I hope that you have an amazing time.

Yes, once again I've overdone it. I think the stress in my life just prompts me to go into hypersonic activity mode as a coping mechanism. My mom's situation, compounded by the tension between my sister and her husband, against my brother and I hasn't been easy. And losing power and any means of communicating with them hasn't helped.

I know you've had a rough few months 😞 I've been stress cleaning. Sometimes staying busy is a welcome distraction from life. 

21 hours ago, YaelAldrich said:

I'm feeling better in that I don't seem to have a sore throat anymore. So have a drippy post nasal drip that's making me cough. I slept well last night so I hope I'm on the upswing. Will insist on everyone testing again today. And I want some cough drops!

Ya, glad to hear that you are recovering easily.

• Like 4

I should have taken off from exercise yesterday. I could feel my body was achy from overtraining. Not that I've done an excessive amount of exercise because I haven't but it is combined with fighting this injury in my hip, all the stress, and things I'm doing around the house.

I did my workout but cut back on weights and reps. I so wanted to get in 1 more before I go but my body says no.

My shoulder which hasn't bothered me in ages flared up yesterday. I'm certain because of the shoveling. And my hip is aching from Monday's lower body workout. By bedtime I was hobbling and hurting all over. I took 3 ibuprofen and crashed.

This morning my shoulder is feeling ok so far but my hip is aching just laying here 

I got so much done yesterday I just have little things around the house to do and the returns and shopping I didn't get done yesterday (Ds took the girls to tkd and I just picked them up so not enough time).

We leave tomorrow eeeeek.  I'm so nervous we'll forget something. There will be some flight delay etc. Being away from home so long. 

Edited by Soror
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Soror said:

I should have taken off from exercise yesterday. I could feel my body was achy from overtraining. Not that I've done an excessive amount of exercise because I haven't but it is combined with fighting this injury in my hip, all the stress, and things I'm doing around the house.

I did my workout but cut back on weights and reps. I so wanted to get in 1 more before I go but my body says no.

My shoulder which hasn't bothered me in ages flared up yesterday. I'm certain because of the shoveling. And my hip is aching from Monday's lower body workout. By bedtime I was hobbling and hurting all over. I took 3 ibuprofen and crashed.

This morning my shoulder is feeling ok so far but my hip is aching just laying here 

I got so much done yesterday I just have little things around the house to do and the returns and shopping I didn't get done yesterday (Ds took the girls to tkd and I just picked them up so not enough time).

We leave tomorrow eeeeek.  I'm so nervous we'll forget something. There will be some flight delay etc. Being away from home so long. 

I'm sorry your shoulder flared up, but glad the NSAID helped! There's always so much to do before a trip, and the worry of forgetting something is tough. Hope you all have an amazing time!!

• Like 3

Ds20 and I moved some giant rocks from the neighbours and placed them in the waterfall area. It's starting to look really good! I'm getting really excited. 

My body is feeling sooooooo much better today! The rest day restored my physical and mental well-being. The sunshine is really helping, too.

Full work day today, but I'm also going to do some lighter work on the waterfall project.

• Like 5

I've been feeling very draggy and sore since early yesterday afternoon. I actually conked out on the floor next to my desk for about an hour towards the end of the day, because I just couldn't hold up my head. I did have my second shingles shot on Monday evening, so there is a small possibility that is a contributing factor? I did walk about 3.5K last night to top off the day's step goals, but it was a chore to do it. 

Same thing with this morning's 4K and the strength and stretching. I did it, but everything felt slow and much more difficult than usual. 

The good news is that this morning's walk completed my 500K goal for the season.

Spring Start Challenge: 500.8 of 500K
Walking Streak: 23 days

Screenshot_20220525-075114.png

• Like 7

Steady state cardio workout today. Awake for a couple of hours in the middle of the night. It was too warm for fleece sheets for the first time this year, and then my brain woke up fully and I couldn't go back to sleep. The fur kids joined me on the sofas; they slept fine and I slept eventually. Drinking caffeine now.

• Like 7

Took an unintentional day off today. I got up at 3 am because I was just awake, and had a morning full of appointments, stretching into early afternoon. I've only taken one short walk, and as much as I’d like to say I’ll manage a yoga session I don’t think I’ll be up for it after dinner. Hopefully I’ll sleep better tonight.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Soror said:

Did you have flexibility issues before is that a new thing? Are you gaining any flexibility in the moves you are doing?

I’ve never been flexible, and even less so in certain areas since my surgery.

This is my year of advocating for myself and fixing various issues that need fixing; no more just “living with it”. So now that I’ve had my hysterectomy (yay!) and a couple growths on my face removed (today, in fact), flexibility, a weird painful bump similar to tennis elbow, and chronic hand and foot pain are all getting addressed this summer.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I’ve never been flexible, and even less so in certain areas since my surgery.

This is my year of advocating for myself and fixing various issues that need fixing; no more just “living with it”. So now that I’ve had my hysterectomy (yay!) and a couple growths on my face removed (today, in fact), flexibility, a weird painful bump similar to tennis elbow, and chronic hand and foot pain are all getting addressed this summer.

I'm sorry that you have these issues, but I love the idea of your year of advocating for yourself.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's overcast and rained lightly already today, but I still did some light work on the waterfall area (shifting mulch). I'll go for some dog walks later on. 

Yesterday I finished off the rocks for the waterfall, installed the pump and piping with the help of ds (budding engineer), and started placing and planting the perennials. It's looking really good!! I was outside when it was dark and tested out placements for the floodlighting. Awesome!! I'm so excited that it's almost completed. I just hope that the waterfall actually works. 😉 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Woke up yesterday and did a sniff test and failed! I freaked out because that's the real reason I have been so cautious. I cook based on smell and taste and everything goes cattywampus when I can't smell or taste. They slowly started to come back all throughout that day thank G-d! Still down to a drippy post nasal thing with a cough. Happened again this morning but I'm smelling things again.

I'm stretching out the bad shoulder but haven't gone out of the house nor to our basement gym. Getting antsy! 

• Like 6

@MEmama I ended up taking an unplanned rest day yesterday, too. I'm sorry you are having trouble with sleep.

I think I mentioned yesterday that I felt draggy and gross, but by about 10:00 I had also developed a headache that just wasn't responding to acetaminophen or decongestants. I gave in at about 10:30, officially took the rest of the day off work and retreated to the couch. I slept so much that I then had trouble falling asleep once I officially went to bed, but I still feel better this morning than I did yesterday. I'm sticking with my shingles vaccine side effects theory.

I had to figure out how to get a urine sample from my dog this morning in preparation for her vet appointment this afternoon, which ate up some time and meant that I had to cut back a bit on the morning walk. It was enough to earn my silver badge for the year.

I squeezed out enough time to do one of the 20-minute seated upper body videos.

Assuming my workload allows, I plan to walk the dog to and from the vet, which should make up the mileage I skipped earlier. And then I will take the usual evening walk.

Spring Start Challenge: 504.5 of 500K
Walking Streak: 24 days

unnamed.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I was at the office yesterday and Husband had the car in England picking up Hobbes. 13000 functional steps walking to and from bus stops and buying presents at lunchtime for Hobbes' birthday, plus a short dog walk. Apart from that, I managed a couple of quick PJ sun salutations. 

Today - woke early and did half an hour of yoga. At lunchtime I hope to walk with a friend.  Then rowing and housework after work.

• Like 6

Went for a couple walks yesterday but that’s all I managed. My abdomen was sore for unknown reasons, and we are dealing with a couple crises here at the moment that are taking an emotional toll. Adding to the stress is an upcoming trip to check in on FIL, who recently had a stroke. It will be difficult on multiple layers. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

@MEmama I'm sorry things are tough right now. Physical stuff on top of stress and emotional stuff just makes both so much harder to manage. I hope things begin to improve for you soon.

I made the dog walk to and from her vet appointment yesterday, which more than made up for the shortened walk that morning. We took one more late evening stroll to cap off the day's steps.

It was another abbreviated walk this morning (3.3K). My schedule was a little squeezed because I had to go with my husband to drop off his car for service. I opted to cut back on the walk and allow myself the time to do a full strength and stretching set, because I know from experience I can more easily find the time and motivation to walk a little more throughout the day than to do other kinds of exercise.

Fortunately, I'm meeting up with a friend to see another couple of shows at the theatre festival this evening, which means walking between venues, as well as hiking from and to wherever I can find parking. And I'll likely finish off the day with another stroll with the dog once I get home.

Spring Start Challenge: 513.4 of 525K
(Upped the goal just a little, since I still have four days to the end of the season.) 
Walking Streak: 25 days

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday at around 5pm my body indicated that it needed to be horizontal, so I took a nap (aka went to bed really early). I finished off the waterfall surroundings yesterday, and it's raining today so filling it with water and testing will be postponed until the weekend.

My body is still sore and tired today. My hands were really stiff as well, but I'm still able to type. I'll probably do some stretching and very light physical activity today. Hopefully my body will recover and I'll be much gentler to it in the near future. 😉 

• Like 5

@Jenny in Florida Glad you're feeling better today. Big congratulations on reaching your walking goal for the year!!! That's amazing!

@MEmama I hope your abdomen pain goes away soon and you feel better. All the best with the other stressful things happening. It's tough being the middle generation sandwiched between aging parents and young adults.

• Thanks 1