Menu

Well-trained bodies - May

Laura Corin

Rest day today.  Stretch/balance yoga first thing, as I've been pushing the strength recently.  A walk at lunchtime.  Then this evening we are going on a guided walk with a historian around a nearby town to hear more about medieval life for ordinary people.

• Like 6

I never did get around to doing anything to make up the exercise I missed yesterday morning. I did finish off my steps with a pretty joyless trudge around the neighborhood. It was definitely one of those days when I went for a walk "because I needed steps" rather than because I felt like getting outside. (I actually sat down on a bench and stared at some birds for a while in the middle.) The dog opted out, also. 

Started the day off a little better today, though. The dog and I walked just a little over 4.25K, and then she hung out with me while I did a nice, full strength and stretching set. She even consented to allow the cat to be out there with us for a while.

I have two 5Ks to walk in the next three weeks, and I'm honestly kind of dreading them. I've been so draggy and slow and sore that the idea of trying to walk fast for a distance sounds miserable. I'm sure I'll feel good once they are done, but it's going to take serious effort to muster the energy to get started.

Spring Start Challenge: 440.9 of 500K
Walking Streak: 15 days

• Like 6

It's looking overcast and potentially rainy again today. I'll do a couple dog walks and some stretching, but otherwise probably rest the upper-body. My arm has been tingling and getting numb at night lately. It's not frozen shoulder, as there is no pain or limited range of motion. I'm not sure what is pinching the nerve. Rest will hopefully fix the problem. 

• Like 6

I’ll clock in around 11,000-12,000 steps for the day, but that’s probably all, unless I manage to squeeze in some yoga before bed.

This morning we walked to a new breakfast place downtown and enjoyed a meal and coffee outside before driving down to Boston to pick up DS from the airport. It's sooo good to have him home! ❤️

On the way down we stopped in Newburyport and walked along the waterfront on their gorgeous rail trail so at least I got a bit of exercise in. As usual we didn’t have nearly enough time to spend there, so we’re planning to have a day adventure there soon— it’s such a pretty, historic town with a fascinating colonial history. 

• Like 6

I'm at the office today, covering the front office for a colleague who is ill. It's very quiet though, with exams finished and most undergraduate students gone. Sun salutations first thing then a brisk walk in the sun and breeze at lunchtime.  After work I'll shop for food for my relatives who are coming to stay this weekend. 

Eider ducks nest around the building each year. This female is in the corner of the car park. The males don't sit on the nests - they just potter about making whoop whoop noises.

20220518_083444.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I got in an hour of windy tennis yesterday evening. It was fun, and the hour was plenty long without being too much for my shoulder and arm. 

It's finally sunny outside again. I might get a chance to check out whether anything has collapsed in my pondless waterfall dug-out area. So far, it's looks alright, and the dirt around the dig is definitely packed down now. 😉 

• Like 6

@MEmama Ya, ds made it home.

@wintermomfingers cross for you that the hole isn't too damaged

@Laura Corin it took me a second to find the head of that duck. Are you planning any special food for your guests?

------------------------

I was so tired yesterday but finished my strength worked out and eeked out 10.5k steps. It was another day where I was gone half the day with too many errands, making it real hard to get everything done, especially when tired. I am happy that dd can do just half days but all the going is very rough when I have a mountain of things to do.

I have a bunch of outside work today but it is raining pretty heavy (with thunderstorms), not the best weather for shoveling mulch and moving plants and no outside painting. I'll focus on my indoor work today.

exercise: 50 min strength- hamstrings; walk (plan to hit a park when I take the girls to horse club later);

I might get in some yard work this evening if it isn't to unbearably hot and muggy--- otherwise I'll wait until tomorrow

Edited by Soror
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Soror said:

@MEmama Ya, ds made it home.

@wintermomfingers cross for you that the hole isn't too damaged

@Laura Corin it took me a second to find the head of that duck. Are you planning any special food for your guests?

------------------------

Not duck, for sure!  They are mostly vegan - it's my omnivore brother, and his vegan son and his partner.  I'm completely happy making vegan - indeed I cook that way much of the time - but it's going to be a busy weekend, so I want to get most things made in advance, so that I can relax.  I'm planning a lentil ragu from the Dr's Kitchen recipe on Saturday night (without the cheese and anchovies), then one day of soup and bread and one day of salads for lunch.  Assuming it doesn't get warm.

https://www.goodto.com/recipes/dr-rupy-aujlas-aubergine-and-walnut-ragu

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

@Soror How is your dd doing? How are you doing dealing with everything? Big hugs to you all.

@Laura Corin Gorgeous photo! Thanks for sharing. Adorable duck!

@MEmama Sounds like a lovely day! Enjoy your reunion with your ds!!

@Jenny in Florida Great job in getting in all the steps dispite your set backs. Hope you are feeling a lot better.

@Ali in OR How are you and your dd doing these days? Hope things are improving.

Everyone else that I missed, great job on getting in your activities and sharing them with the group! I love being supported and inspired by you all. 😊  Have a wonderful day!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I helped my friend clear out the last few items of her house yesterday. They're moving to Costa Rica for a couple years, and after that they don't know where they'll end up.

It's so sad seeing good friends move away. So many great memories. They will leave a giant hole in our lives. 😪 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

@wintermom It is tough having friends leave the area. I'm sure your friend appreciated your help clearing out the house. And at least it's a little easier to keep in touch now than it was when we depended on letters and expensive long-distance calls. Hugs.

My walk last night was cut a bit short (2.8K) by impending rain. So I finished my "steps" for the day with about 25 minutes on the stationary bike.

Despite actually getting out of bed more or less when my alarm went off, I had to cut the walk this morning a little short of my 4K goal (3.8K) in order to get home, do the strength set for the day, feed and pill the dog and be in front of my computer for my 8:00 AM virtual appointment with the endocrinologist. (Side note: In response to the blood work I did last week, he is increasing my thyroid replacement dosage and also adding something to address what he suspects is a spike in insulin resistance. Nice to know I'm not just whiny or hypochondriacal. Together, these adjustments should help get my energy and weight closer to where I like them to be.) 

It was a pretty morning outside.

Spring Start Challenge: 447.4 of 500K
Walking Streak: 16 days

IMG_20220518_065941897.jpg

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 7

That steroid shot did wonders on my shoulder! I can get almost my full range of motion now. I'll keep doing the ROM  exercises this week and move into strengthening exercises next week. My chiropractor did some more active stretches and massage on it this morning. So I didn't get to exercise this morning. I don't know if I'll have the ability to catch up today. 

• Like 7

I've been a little out of the loop here. The last few days were hit or miss. Today made up for that with a vengeance. I did the full weights and core jazz, then rode the recumbent bike, and then had a massage.

I am desperate to get this shoulder free, so I wore a good mask. It was by far the most painful massage I have ever had. She had warned me that it would be uncomfortable, but it was horrible. I just hope when I wake up in the morning that everything is loose. Right now my range of motion is definitely improved, but the jury is out on whether I am in more pain or less after some sleep. Right now I can tell she overstretched one of my fragile wrists, so I'll admit I'm scared. We'll see what the next few days bring.

• Like 6

21 hours ago, wintermom said:

I helped my friend clear out the last few items of her house yesterday. They're moving to Costa Rica for a couple years, and after that they don't know where they'll end up.

It's so sad seeing good friends move away. So many great memories. They will leave a giant hole in our lives. 😪 

I'm sorry. What a big adventure for them and so sad for you.

21 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

@wintermom It is tough having friends leave the area. I'm sure your friend appreciated your help clearing out the house. And at least it's a little easier to keep in touch now than it was when we depended on letters and expensive long-distance calls. Hugs.

My walk last night was cut a bit short (2.8K) by impending rain. So I finished my "steps" for the day with about 25 minutes on the stationary bike.

Despite actually getting out of bed more or less when my alarm went off, I had to cut the walk this morning a little short of my 4K goal (3.8K) in order to get home, do the strength set for the day, feed and pill the dog and be in front of my computer for my 8:00 AM virtual appointment with the endocrinologist. (Side note: In response to the blood work I did last week, he is increasing my thyroid replacement dosage and also adding something to address what he suspects is a spike in insulin resistance. Nice to know I'm not just whiny or hypochondriacal. Together, these adjustments should help get my energy and weight closer to where I like them to be.) 

It was a pretty morning outside.

Spring Start Challenge: 447.4 of 500K
Walking Streak: 16 days

I'm so glad to read they are adjusting your meds. Fingers crossed it helps you soon.

19 hours ago, YaelAldrich said:

That steroid shot did wonders on my shoulder! I can get almost my full range of motion now. I'll keep doing the ROM  exercises this week and move into strengthening exercises next week. My chiropractor did some more active stretches and massage on it this morning. So I didn't get to exercise this morning. I don't know if I'll have the ability to catch up today. 

Ya for improvement.

9 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

I've been a little out of the loop here. The last few days were hit or miss. Today made up for that with a vengeance. I did the full weights and core jazz, then rode the recumbent bike, and then had a massage.

I am desperate to get this shoulder free, so I wore a good mask. It was by far the most painful massage I have ever had. She had warned me that it would be uncomfortable, but it was horrible. I just hope when I wake up in the morning that everything is loose. Right now my range of motion is definitely improved, but the jury is out on whether I am in more pain or less after some sleep. Right now I can tell she overstretched one of my fragile wrists, so I'll admit I'm scared. We'll see what the next few days bring.

Oh, I hope that it is feeling better, not worse today.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I got in 2 walks and my strength work (and my hamstrings are sure sore today) but it was a shit day emotionally. Still feeling very stressed and sad tbh.

Today I'm doing HIIT (first one in 2 months since I've been doing exclusive strength training). I'll be taking it S.L.O.W.

A MOUNTAIN of indoor and outdoor work to do. I got hardly anything done yesterday between the rain, tooo many errands/meetings, and feeling like shit.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 2
  • Sad 4

@Harriet Vane I'm sorry the massage was rough. I completely relate to feeling frightened and protective of a body part that you already know is fragile. I hope you wake up feeling improvement.

@Soror So much going on for you right now. It's not surprising you aren't knocking every item off your to-do list. Feeling sad under the circumstances is entirely understandable and normal. It sounds trite, but sometimes all you can do is all you can do. Try to be kind to yourself.

I had planned to go for a walk last night right after picking up the new prescriptions, but my husband advocated for dinner on the earlier side. Unfortunately, by the time we made food and finished eating, it was pouring. I had about half of my steps for the day still to do and didn't want to try and wait out the weather. So, I did a Leslie Sansone video for the first time since I had the knee issue a couple of months ago. By the time that was done, it had stopped actively raining, so I took the dog out with me for another 2K, which finally got me to my step goal for the day.

Started this morning a little better: 4.25K of walking and then a full strength and stretching set out on the patio.

Spring Start Challenge: 453.7 of 500K
Walking Streak: 17 days

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Jenny in Florida and @Soror. I was afraid I would wake up with everything clenched down and painful, but I'm actually doing okay. I still have better mobility than before and am looser than before, so perhaps all that work was worth it. Still some sore spots, but I am not sure if that is due to the pressure she applied or due to tight muscles releasing. Either way, I am relieved and heading out to gyrotonics now. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Thanks @Jenny in Florida and @Soror. I was afraid I would wake up with everything clenched down and painful, but I'm actually doing okay. I still have better mobility than before and am looser than before, so perhaps all that work was worth it. Still some sore spots, but I am not sure if that is due to the pressure she applied or due to tight muscles releasing. Either way, I am relieved and heading out to gyrotonics now. 

Welp, I went to gyrotonics but now everything is flared up. It's an odd combination of still much better mobility (muscles more relaxed) but lots of nerve flaring (numbness, tingling), which means bone spurs on the nerve and swelling. Ugh. Should be better in a day or two.

Edited by Harriet Vane
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

I'm glad you are feeling some improvement.  I'm always doubtful when a massage is that sore.

2 hours ago, YaelAldrich said:

I rallied last night and ran for 30 minutes on the treadmill before I went to bed. This morning I stretched my shoulder (very good) and ellipticalled for 30 minutes.

Sounds like good progress. 

5 hours ago, Soror said:

I got in 2 walks and my strength work (and my hamstrings are sure sore today) but it was a shit day emotionally. Still feeling very stressed and sad tbh.

Today I'm doing HIIT (first one in 2 months since I've been doing exclusive strength training). I'll be taking it S.L.O.W.

A MOUNTAIN of indoor and outdoor work to do. I got hardly anything done yesterday between the rain, tooo many errands/meetings, and feeling like shit.

You have just had one thing on top of another.

On 5/18/2022 at 2:20 PM, wintermom said:

It's difficult wishing people well with their excitement when you really want to hold them close. 

I woke up pretty early, so took the dog out for a walk. I was in the office today,  so I ran errands on foot at lunchtime. I'm snacking on blueberry porridge,  then I plan some yoga before Husband makes Chinese food for supper. 

• Like 6

I played 2 hrs of mixed doubles tennis with dh and friends. It was very fun, but my wrist hurt from the previous night playing in the crazy wind. Now my whole body is sore and I couldn't sleep because of the soreness. I'm feeling very sluggish at work today. It's also raining and overcast, which always makes me feel blah. 

I did have a very nice walk with a friend yesterday, and the sun was shining. That helps me make it through the rough days.

• Like 5

I'm sitting here getting ready to wrap up work for the day and thinking about how unenthusiastic I am about heading out for the evening walk. I really, really need to come up with some other options for exercise, but every time I ask for ideas or just hit Google, I come up with the same 10 suggestions for things I'm either already doing (walking, cycling, yoga, swimming, strength/weights) or that aren't good bets for me for one reason or another.

Every time I try, I find myself falling into the self-pity well as I dismiss assorted things that sound like fun either because my body won't tolerate them or because of logistical concerns (or some combination). 

Anyone want to talk about how you keep yourself motivated when what you're doing gets boring?

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I'm sitting here getting ready to wrap up work for the day and thinking about how unenthusiastic I am about heading out for the evening walk. I really, really need to come up with some other options for exercise, but every time I ask for ideas or just hit Google, I come up with the same 10 suggestions for things I'm either already doing (walking, cycling, yoga, swimming, strength/weights) or that aren't good bets for me for one reason or another.

Every time I try, I find myself falling into the self-pity well as I dismiss assorted things that sound like fun either because my body won't tolerate them or because of logistical concerns (or some combination). 

Anyone want to talk about how you keep yourself motivated when what you're doing gets boring?

In my case, I joined a Conqueror walk to jazz up my walking, though you've already done that.

And I have twice "done something new." The first time was martial arts, which I did with a wonderfully talented instructor who was willing to work with my limitations. When my neck and back pooped out, I continued with my regular weights and core work until just now when I joined gyrotonics. So gyrotonics is the new thing, and I am enjoying figuring out something new and glad that I have something that includes LOTS of movement.

I tried zumba as a new thing, but I became disillusioned when I saw that it's just like aerobics. Nothing against aerobics, but I did a bunch of that in my twenties and wanted something NEW.

The other option is to join a class with other people, so even if you're doing the same thing, you also have company along the way. I wonder if you might enjoy a walking group? My brother-in-law runs with a group organized by an athletic shoe store, and he absolutely loves having company. I'm much the opposite--I am extremely shy about exercising with other people.

• Like 4

I'm much the opposite--I am extremely shy about exercising with other people.

Yep, ditto. I do like classes (including aerobics and zumba and similar things), but my knees no longer tolerate the amount of twisting and jumping such things require. Even before I was diagnosed with the arthritis, I injured my knee in a zumba class, and the last several times I've tried to follow along with the "low impact" videos at home, I always end up regretting it.

In terms of walking, I don't even really like it when my husband decides to join me walking around the neighborhood. Walking, for this introvert, is a chance to listen to a podcast or audiobook I'm enjoying. The only group exercise things I have ever enjoyed are the kind that don't assume you will talk to anyone.

The current routine goes something like this:

• Monday -  Wednesday - Friday: Morning walk (about 4K) followed by about 30 minutes of floor-based strength and stretching. Another walk in the afternoon and/or evening to get me to a minimum of 15,000 steps for the day.
  • Tuesday - Thursday: Morning walk (about 4K) followed by a 20-minute seated upper body workout video. When I have time, I try to do 15 minutes or so on the stationary bike, too. Afternoon and/or evening walk as necessary to get to 15,000 steps.
  • Saturday: Shorter morning walk (about 2-3K) followed by a gentle yoga class at the nature preserve. The walk from the parking lot to the class location is about 1K each way, so that gets me to my usual morning walking goal by the time class is over and I'm back at the car.  About once a month, I meet a friend afterward to do some more walking. Other weeks, I might poke my husband and make him go somewhere that involves being somewhat more active than his usual Saturday of being in the recliner in front of the TV. Afternoon and/or evening walk as necessary to get to 15,000 steps.
  • Sunday: Just the morning and afternoon/evening walks for a total of 15,000 steps.

Once or twice a month, I sneak away from work long enough to do a virtual yoga class on a Monday morning. When I know that's happening, I often skip the regular strength and stretching.

When I have extra energy or the weather is too rainy to go out for a walk, I either ride the stationary bike or do a walk-at-home video. 

Now that the weather is warmer again, I plan to get to the neighborhood pool more often. The challenge with that is that in this part of Florida, the summer rainy "season" is most afternoons. So, right about the time I'm off work and looking to get outside, the thunderstorms roll in and make swimming not an option. I hope to be more intentional about weekends, though.

• Like 3

@Jenny in Florida Is swimming on the 'not practical' list of potential activities? It's low impact and you don't have to talk with anyone. Paddling (kayak, canoe, dragon boat) or rowing is a possibility. Cycling is really good exercise, too, and there are all kinds of adaptive bikes available for various needs. 

I would also suggest that you give yourself a month of not counting steps, minutes or distances that you walk. Just walk for the fun of it; enjoy the scenery and your own podcast or thoughts. You seem to be using 'steps' the same way many people obsess about their weight with a scale, or people training for a marathon carefully count up all the distances on each run. I could be wrong, and it's just a perception because it's a convenient way for you to relate your exercise. This is just a thought to see how it works for a specific period of time. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 4

I went for a nice walk with a friend, and brought along the puppy. I also biked to the tennis club for the bbq social. I wasn't expecting to play any tennis, but did play a tiny bit with dh, ds and a good friend. 

I found a 'new' way to cycle which really increases the intensity of the ride. I put a rock in my backpack and biked home with it. The rock was flat with moss that I want for my waterfall. It probably weighed 15 - 20 pounds. Man did that ride home add a surprising amount of intensity to the way my legs, core muscles, and even arms had to work. 😅

• Like 6

8 hours ago, wintermom said:

I went for a nice walk with a friend, and brought along the puppy. I also biked to the tennis club for the bbq social. I wasn't expecting to play any tennis, but did play a tiny bit with dh, ds and a good friend. 

I found a 'new' way to cycle which really increases the intensity of the ride. I put a rock in my backpack and biked home with it. The rock was flat with moss that I want for my waterfall. It probably weighed 15 - 20 pounds. Man did that ride home add a surprising amount of intensity to the way my legs, core muscles, and even arms had to work. 😅

I tell myself that my lunchtime errands are extra value because I'm usually carrying something.  Is puppy (forgotten the name) doing well with walk training?

Today - up early but not too early.  Yoga first thing, but skipped some arm strength aspects because I knew I had a meeting where I could switch off my camera.  Spent the meeting using hand weights.  I'm about to join a friend for a walk up the den, and that will be it for the day.

• Like 5

I did not end up doing my hiit workout yesterday. After I shoveled 3/4ths of a truck load of mulch and planted a bunch of flowers I didn't have the time or energy. Other than outside and inside work I also got a short (20 min walk). The kids TKD place moved further from the park so I went to a short (maybe 1/2 mile shaded track at the CC). It is annoying that the loop is so small but I was the only one there so that was nice. There is another walking track alongside the road close to the TKD but I just don't like walking beside a road. It's divided, so perfectly safe, but I just feel so exposed and there is no shade at all. 

Today:

45 min full body strength-- maybe a walk later??? I'm hoping to stay focused and get a lot done inside before I have to pick up dd from school and go pick up girls at my parents (and visit)

• Like 6

Yesterday was just too painful, more and more so as the day progressed. I took my magical magnesium mix and a painkiller and woke up feeling much better. I do have much better range of motion, so I am thankful for that. Today will be a rest day, though I might take a pleasant walk later.

• Like 6

Dance workout Wednesday and dumbbells yesterday made it close to two weeks of regular workouts. Yep, caregiver is out today and Monday so I am up early but will be getting dd ready for her day. You would think I could just exercise later but my days wipe me out. And there is always more schoolwork than there are hours in the day. But it's a Friday--yay for that!

• Like 5

10 hours ago, wintermom said:

@Jenny in Florida Is swimming on the 'not practical' list of potential activities? It's low impact and you don't have to talk with anyone. Paddling (kayak, canoe, dragon boat) or rowing is a possibility. Cycling is really good exercise, too, and there are all kinds of adaptive bikes available for various needs. 

I would also suggest that you give yourself a month of not counting steps, minutes or distances that you walk. Just walk for the fun of it; enjoy the scenery and your own podcast or thoughts. You seem to be using 'steps' the same way many people obsess about their weight with a scale, or people training for a marathon carefully count up all the distances on each run. I could be wrong, and it's just a perception because it's a convenient way for you to relate your exercise. This is just a thought to see how it works for a specific period of time. 

Swimming would be great, except that it's so weather dependent. I work full-time with pretty normal "business hours," meaning the most convenient time to swim would be right after work. . When it's warm enough for swimming to be attractive to me (I'm super sensitive to cold), we have thunderstorms many/most afternoons. This pretty much means that the only really likely time to swim is mid-morning/early afternoon on the weekends. 

Paddling, etc., are not practical for me, both because the time investment to go somewhere to engage in them would be significant and also because both strength and range of motion is compromised in both of my arms. 

I do have (and use) a stationary bike. I also have a regular bike, but I rarely use it. Not a lot of interesting places to go, plus the occasional issues I have with balance make it, again, just not fun.

In terms of the step counting and such, yeah, I like goals. I do those other things, too (listening to podcasts and audiobooks, enjoying the scenery), but I also like checking off the boxes. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Swimming would be great, except that it's so weather dependent. I work full-time with pretty normal "business hours," meaning the most convenient time to swim would be right after work. . When it's warm enough for swimming to be attractive to me (I'm super sensitive to cold), we have thunderstorms many/most afternoons. This pretty much means that the only really likely time to swim is mid-morning/early afternoon on the weekends. 

It's actually a benefit to have water a little on the cool side for fitness swimming. Otherwise you heat up too much and it's not a fun feeling. I'd encourage you to try it. I'm not a fan of cold water, but it really is amazingly refreshing when you are working hard in the water swimming laps. 

There is a reason that people do the polar bear swims. Sure, it's a mental hurdle to begin with, and it's not for everybody, but there are huge physical and mental benefits to swimming in cool water.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, wintermom said:

It's actually a benefit to have water a little on the cool side for fitness swimming. Otherwise you heat up too much and it's not a fun feeling. I'd encourage you to try it. I'm not a fan of cold water, but it really is amazingly refreshing when you are working hard in the water swimming laps. 

There is a reason that people do the polar bear swims. Sure, it's a mental hurdle to begin with, and it's not for everybody, but there are huge physical and mental benefits to swimming in cool water.

Maybe it's the neuropathy? I'm not sure, but cold water--even at temperatures other people don't seem to mind--is physically painful for me. 

• Like 2

Went out for my evening walk right after work yesterday to make sure I would stay ahead of the weather. 

Walked the usual 4K this morning and then attempted a "level 3" seated upper body workout video. I had to drop back to the lighter (3 pound) weights for almost everything and modify some of the warm-up/cool-down stretches to meet what my arms will actually do, but I (kind of) made it through.

It started storming while I was out on the patio doing the video, so it was a good thing I didn't stall the walk this morning. We'll see what the weather does later; I will either walk again or do some combo of video exercises/stationary biking to get my steps.

Spring Start Challenge: 462.5 of 500K
Walking Streak: 18 days

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Maybe it's the neuropathy? I'm not sure, but cold water--even at temperatures other people don't seem to mind--is physically painful for me. 

That makes sense. I've noticed that theraputic pools will often be warmer than the average pool. 

Just brainstorming in case you are willing to look at other options, are there any indoor pools with constant temps in your area? Or would you be interested in trying a wetsuit in a pool? 

Obviously, convenience and motivation are huge factors. I'm not sure if beating this horse is helpful, but hey, I'm distracting myself from work and sometimes people will go long lengths to experience the pleasure of swimming comfortably in water. It can really be a life-changing activity for many people.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

@wintermom Yep, convenience is definitely part of the challenge. 

I have always loved swimming. In fact, one of the things I insisted on when we bought a house a year ago was that I had to have access to a pool. I would have preferred a backyard pool, for the sake of convenience (as well as privacy), but my husband really didn't want the responsibility of caring for a pool. So we bought into a neighborhood with a community pool. It's nice, but just far enough away to make it "a thing" to go. Add in the Florida weather and my aversion to cold -- and the fact that there is no lifeguard and my husband gets very anxious when I get into the water alone -- and I end up just not using the pool as often as I would have liked. 

I could join the Y or something, but then I'm looking at packing up my stuff and driving somewhere, then coming home wet. It's just not a super attractive possibility.

I guess my thing at this point is that, if it's going to be a hassle or a slog to engage in something, I might as well just keep doing what I'm already doing.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Paddling, etc., are not practical for me, both because the time investment to go somewhere to engage in them would be significant and also because both strength and range of motion is compromised in both of my arms. 

I do have (and use) a stationary bike. I also have a regular bike, but I rarely use it. Not a lot of interesting places to go, plus the occasional issues I have with balance make it, again, just not fun.

In terms of the step counting and such, yeah, I like goals. I do those other things, too (listening to podcasts and audiobooks, enjoying the scenery), but I also like checking off the boxes. 

Is there an indoor pool within striking distance anywhere?

• Like 3

Yesterday: just one walk + week 11 yoga

Today: 14,692 steps +30 minutes rowing + week 11 yoga

I've been really tired the past couple days but am hopeful that taking it easy will pay off and reward me with more energy this weekend. 

• Like 5

First day I didn't hit 10k steps in a couple of weeks. I made it to 9.5k. I started my period and was feeling very blah. Energy overall has been pretty decent, light years better than this fall. 

I'm working on packing. STILL holding out hope on shoes and looking. I went shopping again yesterday. Found a tshirt (wanted 1 more) so that is good. Wouldn't mind another pair of pants but will probably make due (trying to alter some I have). 

Again today I'm aiming for 35 min HIIT --- 

Planning for cleaning, vaca planning, more shopping (toiletries and shoes) (I HATE shopping so very much)

I've not weighed in a couple of weeks, didn't want to after a week of not great eating. But my clothes still seem to be looser than they were earlier this year. American sizes are weird-- I have some size 6 shorts I bought at Goodwill (really should have returned) that are nearly too big to wear-- got to have a belt. Tried on some jeans and the 4s in those were a bit tight. One tshirt I had to get a Medium, another I tried the xsmall was a bit baggy. American companies need to standarize sizes.

• Like 6

I forgot until I was heading out for a walk after work that it was the last day to earn my Cherry Blossom badge for the walking challenge. So, I left the dog home and headed out for 5K around the neighborhood. It was warm outside and extremely humid (only just managed to get the walk in between thunderstorms), which meant I was unable to keep up my usual pace. But I got it done and earned my digital badge.

This morning, I walked 4.3K but haven't done anything else. My husband and a friend and I have been working out plans to go see a couple of shows at the Orlando Fringe festival this afternoon. Time and energy permitting, I may do something extra tomorrow.

Spring Start Challenge: 471.8 of 500K
Walking Streak: 19 days

Screenshot 2022-05-21 100751.jpg

• Like 6

Did Adriene's most recent feel good flow which said something like upper back and shoulders. I was a little worried it would bother my arm/shoulder which hurts when I'm trying to sleep as I can't find many positions for my arm, but the yoga was fine. I just can't quite do eagle arms--that was the only thing I really modified.

After weeks of mostly gray, rainy, cool days, we have sun and will get to the 70's today. We'll celebrate dh's bday a few days early at an outdoor restaurant we like. He's doing a bark-spreading service project today--I may take dd on a wheelchair stroll at a nearby park.

• Like 6

We have family here this weekend.  Husband is taking them to see my mum this afternoon so I got away for a walk. We are heading out to walk around a historic town later. That will be it for the day - my yoga/rowing room is currently a guest bedroom. 

• Like 6

13,524 steps + 30 minutes rowing

Went to a fish ladder this morning to watch the alewives run. Spent the afternoon in the garden, clearing out fall leaves and getting ready for planting in another week or two when it warms up a bit. 

The photos are of the alewives and the fish ladder. If you closely at the all water pic you’ll see it’s a solid mass of fish. The lake is above the falls, we used to swim there quite a bit when DS was younger. There is a bridge the kids jump off of and there is always a loon or two swimming (including in the photo but it’s too hard to see). It’s a gorgeous lake to kayak. 

4EB55C97-5B87-45FA-BB41-9F5B614F5D9C.jpeg

2C802408-F190-4DFE-9CB3-01ED2CB334F0.jpeg

FBAF111E-29C8-4297-BA64-73CA2621E146.jpeg

Edited by MEmama
Photos are being weird
  • Like 5

I ended up getting most of my steps yesterday tromping around on the lawn at the theatre festival, which was a nice change of pace. I finished off the day with a 2K walk around the neighborhood with the dog after we got home.

Walked the usual 4K this morning, then did a 20-minute seated upper body workout video to make up for skipping yesterday. We're headed back to the festival for two more shows this afternoon, but will likely do less exploring. I'll plan on getting out for a walk once we're home this evening.

Spring Start Challenge: 478.1 of 500K
Walking Streak: 20 days

• Like 5