Menu

Well-trained bodies - May

Laura Corin

I thought I had already posted on this thread.  That's weird. 

Thanks for starting the new month, Laura.

I went for a little walk and boat ride. It was amazing! Definitely got the heart rate up.  😄

falls.jpg

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hello, I'm going to join in this month!  I'm going to keep my goals simple:

1.  Walk 10K steps 5 days a week

2.  Portion control, healthier snacks.

I may try to get into a better diet later in the month, but this week is busy so I need to keep it doable.  Slow baby steps!  

• Like 5

@wintermom I was going to guess Niagara Falls but couldn't remember if you were close enough for that to be a day trip. What a wonderful bday trip.

@BusyMom5Welcome! Simple and doable is always good.

-------------------------------------

May goals--

keep on with weight training - for 2 more weeks-5 days a week/then 4x week strength + 1x week HIIT

increasing walking- 5x week walking/1 longer walk

Right now I'm moving pretty slow. I've got a lot of fatigue from the stress. My pace today when walking was around a 20+ min mile. In the forest which is slower but still I can tell I'm just dragging. I'm trying to keep moving because I know being outside is good for me and the outdoor exercise especially will help with sleep. So, nice gentle walks here.

I'm finishing Caroline's Iron program in 2 weeks and I think I'll do her Beast Mode until vaca after that.  Still loving it just as much. Iron is slower paced focused on building strength and perfect for where I'm at and my goals. 

Today--- 4 mile walk; 40 min strength -- arms+ core (still have to do b/c I walked with dh during usual lifting time)

• Like 3

Yesterday we went bird watching along the coast, in an area known for getting lots of migratory birds. We did identify a couple new to us birds but were flummoxed by several others. It was a gorgeous blue sky day, though at 49 (9.4C) degrees I was surprised to discover a small snake sunning itself, and we came home with multiple ticks. The ticks make hiking here miserable.

The afternoon was made complete with burritos on the patio of a fave taco place and a fantastic discovery of a progressive bookstore cafe to finish the day.

Off to replenish my stash of tick spray! 

BE128A22-F7A7-4B41-9B42-7E01ACB23D46.jpeg

7F6B2991-DEE0-48E9-8B46-56C990095744.jpeg

• Like 4

@MEmamahow adorable love sand dollars

We have ticks horribly bad here too. Every night it is a tick check before bed. Usually it is worst in the forest or anywhere in tall grass but yesterday I had them all over me in the middle of a gravel road. 

• Sad 4

@MEmama Gorgeous coastline photo! Is that a little sand dollar? So pretty! Sounds like a really nice walk and meal. Thanks for sharing the photos.

While walking around Niagara Falls, Goat Island and out on the boat, I was fascinated by the amount of birds feasting on fish and other aquatic food. The gulls fliying at the base of the big falls were thrilling to watch. I believe the black birds I saw were loons - at least their behaviour was similar to a loon in it's diving down into the water from sitting on the water. However, they would fly really low and fast along the water's surface, then sit on the water and finally dive down. I've never seen loons do that, so I'm curious about what kind of bird they actually were. Their head and body resembled a loon, but there were no white markings at all.

The gulls would circle above the water at a higher level and dive straight into the water. So fun to watch!

I caught this Canada goose napping at the top of the falls. Seems peaceful in the photo, but there is a loud roar of the falling water in the background.

20220430_171733.jpg

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Yesterday we went bird watching along the coast, in an area known for getting lots of migratory birds. We did identify a couple new to us birds but were flummoxed by several others. It was a gorgeous blue sky day, though at 49 (9.4C) degrees I was surprised to discover a small snake sunning itself, and we came home with multiple ticks. The ticks make hiking here miserable.

The afternoon was made complete with burritos on the patio of a fave taco place and a fantastic discovery of a progressive bookstore cafe to finish the day.

Off to replenish my stash of tick spray! 

BE128A22-F7A7-4B41-9B42-7E01ACB23D46.jpeg

7F6B2991-DEE0-48E9-8B46-56C990095744.jpeg

Looks like a lovely walk. Sorry about the ticks. I sometimes wish I could swallow a tick-repellant pill like my dog.

It's May Bank Holiday Monday here so I don't need to work. Sun salutations first thing, then Blondie the dog and I went for a five-mile walk in the mizzle this morning. This afternoon I'll try to do some more planting if the weather improves.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, wintermom said:

@MEmama Gorgeous coastline photo! Is that a little sand dollar? So pretty! Sounds like a really nice walk and meal. Thanks for sharing the photos.

While walking around Niagara Falls, Goat Island and out on the boat, I was fascinated by the amount of birds feasting on fish and other aquatic food. The gulls fliying at the base of the big falls was thrilling to watch. I believe the black birds I saw were loons - at least their behaviour was similar to a loon in it's diving down into the water from sitting on the water. However, they would fly really low and fast along the water's surface, then sit on the water and finally dive down. I've never seen loons do that, so I'm curious about what kind of bird they actually were. Their head and body resembled a loon, but there were no white markings at all.

The gulls would circle above the water at a higher level and dive straight into the water. So fun to watch!

The black birds sound like cormorants. Loons typically prefer quieter places (I see them on most of our lakes here) and are usually found alone or in pairs, whereas groups of cormorants skim the water like you described and tend to like “noisy” water areas where the fishing is good. We have them hanging out on rocks in the rivers near the dams, a similar (if smaller! Lol) environment.

Glad you’re having a nice trip! 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MEmama said:

The black birds sound like cormorants. Loons typically prefer quieter places (I see them on most of our lakes here) and are usually found alone or in pairs, whereas groups of cormorants skim the water like you described and tend to like “noisy” water areas where the fishing is good. We have them hanging out on rocks in the rivers near the dams, a similar (if smaller! Lol) environment.

Glad you’re having a nice trip! 

Thanks! I was thinking cormorant, but couldn't remember the name. And yes, loons do love a quiet, still lake with their mate and baby, if they have one. At the base of the falls is about as far from quiet and still as you can get. 🤣

• Like 3

I am thankful to say I got in tons of walking on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. We rented a place to ourselves and spent the whole time walking or reading on the beach. Much needed and so refreshing, especially as this month carries a ton of work for me. (After this month, I am taking a six-month hiatus from one big area of work that I do regularly.)

Today, not so much exercise as I try to plunge back into work. My plan is to do some weights and stretchy bands this evening and hopefully also take a walk.

• Like 4

16,134 steps so far. 3 nice walks, but the kitty is sacked out on me so probably no yoga tonight. Lol

On one neighborhood walk this afternoon we saw half a dozen cardinals, several blue jays, innumerable little songbirds like chickadees, goldfinches and tufted titmice, 2 bald eagles, 2 very busy red breasted woodpeckers and a hairy woodpecker who was making mulch out of a dead tree. 🙂 

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 4

I feel like my goals are too simple,  but we have a busy month!  I am also dealing with back pain (again).  

Sunday- ate very well, got my 10K steps in

Monday- ate well, considering it was party day at co-op.  Didn't get my steps in.  

I'm only able to do about 1500-2000 steps at a time before I have to ice my back and lay down.  Walking is supposed to be good for my back, so I'm trying.   Today and tomorrow I should be able to get my steps in.  

• Like 5

I have a question, what do you eat while traveling?  I will be on the road Thursday and Friday,  thats one reason my goals included eating- but WHAT should I eat?  Right now the plan includes a packed lunch and 2+ stops to walk.  

Faster meals- Panera?  Subway?  

Sit down meals- my DH prefers a steakhouse, so thinking something grilled?  The servings are so big!  We don't really have a way to take leftovers with us.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BusyMom5 said:

I have a question, what do you eat while traveling?  I will be on the road Thursday and Friday,  thats one reason my goals included eating- but WHAT should I eat?  Right now the plan includes a packed lunch and 2+ stops to walk.  

Sit down meals- my DH prefers a steakhouse, so thinking something grilled?  The servings are so big!  We don't really have a way to take leftovers with us.  

Tacos!

I'm not kidding, I actually map out promising looking taco places along our route, no matter where we are going. We've discovered some incredible food even in unlikely areas. Lol. Bonus is they are inexpensive and filling—a single burrito lasts me 2 meals, so stop for lunch and dinner is already taken care of (or, stop for dinner and lunch the next day is taken care of).

Of course, my method might be highly individual lol. Although I must say I was very proud that DS recently had lunch at a taco place in Amsterdam. I’ve taught him well. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, BusyMom5 said:

If I have a meal out I usually go for the salad. Being gf it is usually easier to find a safe salad. At a steakhouse I might do a baked potato, side salad, and some kind of grilled meat. I'd opt for a smaller cut or get a bigger cut and split it. I get dressing on the side and usually try to opt for a lighter option or just evoo/vinegar if the place has it. For faster meals I like Panera (grain bowls, salads, some soups). I also like the salads at ChikFilA. I'd like a wrap or sandwich sometime but usually can't find those gf. My preferred eating out places are ones that have mix and match stir frys or safe ethnic food but not always easy to find.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BusyMom5 said:

The tough part about travelling and eating healthy is minimal access to refrigeration. So saving half a meal can be tricky. If you can bring along a cooler of some kind, this would help to stretch meals and snacks over longer periods of time.

When I'm traveling on vacation, I don't count calories or stress at all about healthy vs non-healthy options. I go very low-carb and low-dairy all the time due to gut issues, and I have a lot of food allergies, so there's a lot of 'natural' limitations of less healthy food.

For fast food, I go with asian options; stir-fried rather than deep-fried. If you have sensitivies to MSG, many places offer non-MSG if you ask. 

For steakhouse, I go with small cuts of beef and whatever veg I feel like. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, BusyMom5 said:

For me, travel is an odd mix of a couple good choices and some spectacularly negative choices. We are great at mapping out the good choices, but when we stop for gas and the bathroom, inevitably we buy a little something to nibble. Those overpriced gas station mini-marts are fatal.

For meals, I have to aim for gluten free and dairy free. That means Chipotle, Panera, or Jimmy Johns as my main go-tos. At Panera I usually get either the Mediterranean Chicken Warm Grain Bowl (minus the yogurt and feta) or the Green Goddess Cobb with chicken (and substitute Greek vinaigrette to make it entirely dairy free). I can get an Unwich at Jimmy John's to avoid gluten. If those three options are not available, I can usually find a big salad somewhere or I enjoy a grilled chicken sandwich on a gluten-free bun from Chik-Fil-A. The chicken sandwich and fries are not as healthy as the other options, but my focus on the road is more on finding anything safe to eat, and 

@MEmama I totally agree about TACOS!! When we find a food truck or an ethnic restaurant we are reeeeeally excited! It is often easier to get real food that is actually cooked at such places (as opposed to many chain restaurants that are heating up factory-produced frozen foods and presenting it as if they cooked it, one of the saddest modern developments of our time imho). 

But generally we don't like dealing with sit-down restaurants on the road as we want to get where we're going as quickly as we can.

• Like 4

Wow, thanks for all the ideas @MEmama @Soror @wintermom and @Harriet Vane!  We are moving a kid home from college, so not much room for a cooler.  I think we may take a soft collapsible insulated bag, and pack a lunch. Its a 7 hour drive, so a 2 day trip.  We will have to eat out a few times.  This gives me ideas for what to look at on the menu.  DH will eat Panera for sure, and its also easy to order ahead and just walk in and eat!  I wondered about just stopping at a grocery store and getting Deli meat, and the cut veggies and fruit in a tray?  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BusyMom5 said:

Wow, thanks for all the ideas @MEmama @Soror @wintermom and @Harriet Vane!  We are moving a kid home from college, so not much room for a cooler.  I think we may take a soft collapsible insulated bag, and pack a lunch. Its a 7 hour drive, so a 2 day trip.  We will have to eat out a few times.  This gives me ideas for what to look at on the menu.  DH will eat Panera for sure, and its also easy to order ahead and just walk in and eat!  I wondered about just stopping at a grocery store and getting Deli meat, and the cut veggies and fruit in a tray?  

Most grocery stores have lots of fresh and healthy to-go meal options, like the cut veggies/ fruit you mentioned, hard boiled eggs, fresh salads, pre made sandwiches, sushi…they might not be the things one would choose every day, but perfect for a road trip. 🙂 

• Like 5

16,167 steps + light gardening

I hadn't touched the garden before today, and all I managed to do was plant some annuals in protected areas. Spring cleanup is going to take me a long time this year—-bending over too much still causes discomfort so I’ll need to be careful not to overdo. Still, there are some plants that need to be dug up and moved ASAP, and leaves that need to be removed from the bases of perennials before there is much new growth. 

• Like 4

An unexpectedly long walk today. Let's just say I am sooooo thankful for the feature in GoogleMaps that allows me to drop a pin in the spot where my car is. 

I am out of town yet again, helping someone who needs some support to get through final exams before this person heads home and digs into some interventions for mental health struggles. (Not any of my kids, just someone I care about.) I dropped off this person for a tutoring appointment and thought I'd get in a little walk before picking up a few basics at the grocery store. Found a random neighborhood, parked, and started walking. I am so thankful I marked where the car was!!! Because I didn't want to look like a silly tourist checking my phone at every corner. And it was nice to look at the pretty gardens and flowering trees in this random, well-appointed neighborhood. So, I would take a look at the map, try to memorize something like "3 lefts and a right" and just walk like I know what I'm doing. I should mention that this neighborhood was not laid out in a grid, but in diagonals and serpentine swerves. Yeah, we all know where this is going. Long story short, I ended up in Timbuktu. Nowhere near the car. Continued to implement my crazy little system of random and infrequent checks only to find I was doubling over the same ground and getting further away. Finally kept my phone OUT as senile middle-aged moms apparently need to do and slunk back to the car.

Told the others in my life waiting for me that I was late due to rifts in the time-space continuum.😆

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Short walk with the dog first thing.

After work I was due to visit my mum, but she doesn't like it if I cause her to miss the evening news, so I parked at the home and continued my exploration of the area.  Not the most thrilling walk,  but there was a small bluebell wood, one particularly glorious beech tree just coming into leaf,  some quite boring farmland and a sand quarry. 

• Like 4

@Laura Corin thank you so much for your thoughts, always appreciated.

15 hours ago, BusyMom5 said:

14 hours ago, MEmama said:

Most grocery stores have lots of fresh and healthy to-go meal options, like the cut veggies/ fruit you mentioned, hard boiled eggs, fresh salads, pre made sandwiches, sushi…they might not be the things one would choose every day, but perfect for a road trip. 🙂 

Yes, we've done likewise before. Actually even overseas we found it cheaper and easier to get some healthier options at the grocery store.

-----------

walk done already and going to be doing a strength--- legs focused on hamstrings/glutes today-- 40 minutes

My janky hip was bothering me a bit late last week so I nervous going into Monday's workout but it has done fine. It seems it is bothered the most by too much sitting. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Soror said:

Yes, we've done likewise before. Actually even overseas we found it cheaper and easier to get some healthier options at the grocery store.

If Husband and I forget to make sandwiches and find ourselves in a small Highland town with nothing very appetising to take for lunch during a hike, we often go to the small supermarket and instead of buying their uninspiring sandwiches, we get cheese, tomatoes, whole grain bread rolls, coleslaw, fruit, etc.  We can easily make up a tastier lunch.

Today: walked with the dog first thing.  Back in the office today - feels very odd.  I'll be in every Wednesday and Thursday from now on.  I'm hoping to do some rowing when I get home, if my back feels okay.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

If Husband and I forget to make sandwiches and find ourselves in a small Highland town with nothing very appetising to take for lunch during a hike, we often go to the small supermarket and instead of buying their uninspiring sandwiches, we get cheese, tomatoes, whole grain bread rolls, coleslaw, fruit, etc.  We can easily make up a tastier lunch.

Today: walked with the dog first thing.  Back in the office today - feels very odd.  I'll be in every Wednesday and Thursday from now on.  I'm hoping to do some rowing when I get home, if my back feels okay.

Totally lived on grocery store bread/rolls and cheese while living and traveling in Europe! Who needs to pay for restaurant prices. In some places (Paris) you can also drink your wine/beer in a public park as well. 😊 The bakeries and dairy products are so much better in Europe than in North America! We're starting to see a lot more European cheeses in the grocery stores here, too. Yummy! The bread and bakery items pretty much suck, sadly. 

Hope your first day back in the office goes well!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I just completed my first short dog walk. I've started using a harness now, as Rocky loves to stare down vehicles on the road. I'm worried he'll slip out of his collar and chase down a car to his demise. Too focused on the wrong thing. 🤪

• Like 4

I did some weeding in the backyard to unwind and keep the puppy company outside. I also waet for a lovely long walk with my group of 4 walking and paddling friends. It was so nice to chat with them all. One of them is moving to Costa Rica in a few weeks. She'll be there for a month, and I'm not sure where they'll live after that. I'll miss her and her family. Her husband is my home-renovation guy, and has completed all the updates on our kitchen, bathrooms, basement window, etc. Her sons have been buddies with my boys since they were little. I'll have to connect with her only by What's App. Seems very surreal. 😒

Edited by wintermom
  • Sad 3

5 hours ago, wintermom said:

I did some weeding in the backyard to unwind and keep the puppy company outside. I also waet for a lovely long walk with my group of 4 walking and paddling friends. It was so nice to chat with them all. One of them is moving to Costa Rica in a few weeks. She'll be there for a month, and I'm not sure where they'll live after that. I'll miss her and her family. Her husband is my home-renovation guy, and has completed all the updates on our kitchen, bathrooms, basement window, etc. Her sons have been buddies with my boys since they were little. I'll have to connect with her only by What's App. Seems very surreal. 😒

that must be a huge blow for the whole family 😞

• Like 3

I took out my anger a bit hard on the rower yesterday and it rained all day so that’s all I ended up doing.

Today I’ll walk and do yoga, and it looks to be a beautiful day already so I’ll get some much needed gardening chores in as well. There are runaway raspberry stalks popping up that need to be yanked before they get out of control. I usually pot them up and leave them by the sidewalk for anyone who wants them. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MEmama said:

I took out my anger a bit hard on the rower yesterday and it rained all day so that’s all I ended up doing.

Today I’ll walk and do yoga, and it looks to be a beautiful day already so I’ll get some much needed gardening chores in as well. There are runaway raspberry stalks popping up that need to be yanked before they get out of control. I usually pot them up and leave them by the sidewalk for anyone who wants them. 

I'd love some! Our raspberries didn't do well. They didn't produce any fruit, and then they just died off. They must have been in a tough place in the yard to thrive.

• Sad 2

It's a gorgeous day! I'll do some yardwork, walk the dog, and maybe start digging my pondless waterfall! I've invited a couple over to provide some advice on the waterfall. The supplier consultation fee is minimum $200, then they'll start up-selling all the 'necessary' stuff you need to buy. I'm very excited to get this project going. I need to feed my obsessive thoughts and energy into something productive. 😁

• Like 2

I ended up doing a light yoga session yesterday instead of rowing - I decided it was premature to put my back into rowing.  Yoga felt good.

Today: quick walk with aged dog first thing after PJ sun salutations.  I then drove to work and managed another quick walk in town, which made a nice change.  After work, I'll take another walk here, then go home to vote and try to fit in some more yoga.  I'm hoping for ducklings on the burn/stream, but I think it's probably too early.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I ended up doing a light yoga session yesterday instead of rowing - I decided it was premature to put my back into rowing.  Yoga felt good.

Today: quick walk with aged dog first thing after PJ sun salutations.  I then drove to work and managed another quick walk in town, which made a nice change.  After work, I'll take another walk here, then go home to vote and try to fit in some more yoga.  I'm hoping for ducklings on the burn/stream, but I think it's probably too early.

I love seeing ducklings and goslings in the spring!! The Canada geese parents can get pretty testy, though. The hissing fits rage. 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I love seeing ducklings and goslings in the spring!! The Canada geese parents can get pretty testy, though. The hissing fits rage. 😅

I'll have to walk later.  It seems as if we have sold our rental property, so I need to go home and make some calls.

• Like 2

I took both dogs for a walk in the evening. Then had an encounter with an awning that didn't want to function anymore. My 2 dss helped take part of it down and secure the rest in place until it can all be removed. I cut off the canvas, and hope to be able to reuse it in the pergola I'm envisioning. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MEmama said:

🤞🤞🤞🤞

Yesterday evening was a bit of a run around trying to pay off part of the mortgage to reduce fees. It ended up with me sitting in the next town in a car park for half an hour, where there was a mobile phone signal, waiting to talk to my bank. I had to make the secure call from my app and we have no mobile signal at home.

Anyway, it's not done but I did what I could last night. Then walked for a couple of miles and managed not to eat all the things from stress.

More to do today. The buyers are locked in with a 10 percent deposit - completion probably next week.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Yesterday evening was a bit of a run around trying to pay off part of the mortgage to reduce fees. It ended up with me sitting in the next town in a car park for half an hour, where there was a mobile phone signal, waiting to talk to my bank. I had to make the secure call from my app and we have no mobile signal at home.

Anyway, it's not done but I did what I could last night. Then walked for a couple of miles and managed not to eat all the things from stress.

More to do today. The buyers are locked in with a 10 percent deposit - completion probably next week.

Sounds promising, even if the process is long. Keep us updated—I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you that it goes smoothly and quickly! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Sounds exciting and stressful. I hope it goes through without a hitch.

--------

Where is @Jenny in Florida? Did I miss something? I hope you are ok Jenny.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Soror said:

Yesterday ended up being a bad day- I did nothing and hardly any steps- I'm counting it as a mental health day.

Today's a new day--- full body strength + walk 

Big hugs. Mental health days are excellent to build into the week. I have frequent mental health moments lately, which often involve going outside in the backyard to dig or pull out weeds. I find it very relaxing and visually satisfying. There are no 'steps' to count, but I can see the little pile of weeds alongside a cleaned out area in the garden. 😉 

• Like 1