Menu

Well-trained bodies - May

Laura Corin

My muscles were pretty achy all day, and I felt like I had tennis elbow while typing for a few hours. I didn't do much during the day except work and take a short walk with the puppy. 

After supper dh and I had a tennis assessment then a round robin doubles play at our new club. I didn't think I'd be able to move much, but it ended up being a lot of fun. I'm sure I'll pay for it tomorrow with more sore muscles, though. 😉

I'm also taking puppy for his first agility lesson tomorrow. Should be fun!

• Like 6

A short treadmill session yesterday, a short yoga for neck and shoulders today. My shoulder is bothering me and I'm trying to self-diagnose, trying to decide if I should see my doctor at least to get a diagnosis. So far I'm coming up with repetitive strain rotator cuff injury. The repetitive strain is writing on a smartboard that is mounted a little too high. I am starting to write on my laptop screen with a stylus instead--not so easy to set up and I can't access the keyboard while I do this. I have Robin McKenzie's Treat Your Own Shoulder book--will read that this weekend. Rainy weekend here.

• Like 5

I managed some incidental walking between venues at the theatre festival last night, but still needed some steps to make my goal. So, pup and I went out for a late evening walk when I got home.

Got up early enough today to get in a nice 3K+ walk around the neighborhood with the dog before heading out to my yoga at the lake class. It's about a kilometer to get from the parking lot to the site, so I clocked a total of a little over 5K and did my 30 minutes of gentle yoga. 

I stopped by the downtown/farmers' market on my way home, which bumped me over 10,000 steps for the day so far. 

Husband and I have concert tickets for tonight, but it's an early curtain. I should have plenty of time to get in an evening walk once we get home.

Spring Start Challenge: 520.8 of 550K
(Upped the goal, since I still have a few days to the end of the season.) 
Walking Streak: 26 days

• Like 4

Bye ladies. I'm going to miss you, but I'm taking a break from this forum. I'm clearly not the right type of person to be here. I say things that annoy people, and now I've been sworn at in my BBQ thread and piled on by others that I'm stupid for misunderstanding.

• Sad 5

20 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Bye ladies. I'm going to miss you, but I'm taking a break from this forum. I'm clearly not the right type of person to be here. I say things that annoy people, and now I've been sworn at in my BBQ thread and piled on by others that I'm stupid for misunderstanding.

Sorry 😔 I hope you aren't gone too long.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I'm so sorry. I've enjoyed chatting with you here. A break is always a good chance to breathe. Would love to see you here again.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wintermom said:

Would it work for you just to come to the exercise thread? We'd really miss you. I understand the need for a break though.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, wintermom said:

I understand the need to take a break occasionally. I've felt overwhelmed and surprised by the negativity that sometimes rears its head in this community. 

For what it's worth, however, I have found our interactions delightful, and I hope you find your way back soon.

• Like 2

Went out for a short walk (about 2K) when we got home from the concert last night to top off the day's steps. 

Back out again this morning solo after the dog made it abundantly clear she was not interested in walking with me. It turned out to be just as well she skipped it, because it left me free to play traffic cop for a large turtle trying to cross the road. Walked a total of about 4.5K. 

Today is my official rest day. I had considered doing at least some stretching and/or light strength stuff, because I was very stiff and sore last night. However, I have tickets to three more fringe festival shows this afternoon (which should net me a decent number of steps) and a few things I want to accomplish before I leave, so I opted to skip it.

My app is prompting me to log a 10K for the last badge of the season. It's warm here, though, and my energy is still running a little low. I'm considering using the stationary bike for that one, probably tomorrow.

Spring Start Challenge: 527.4 of 550K
Walking Streak: 27 days

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, wintermom said:

Another vote here for just coming to the exercise thread! But I understand and you have a lot going on. Hope to see you back here.

• Like 4

We are at the in laws so not much exercising to be had for a few days. Last night we got out for a short walk after the sun went down, and we snuck out early this morning before it got *too* hot. I am not equipped for this heat and humidity; neither are something I tolerate well at all. One change that the stroke brought on for FIL is that now he is always cold, so the house is kept nearly as hot as it outside. Yesterday it was 81 on the house, the three of us northerners are sweating and red just sitting on the couch and MIL was worried we wouldn’t have enough blankets for sleeping. 🥵

I’m hoping to sneak away for some yoga today, and hopefully another walk tonight. We get lost in the suburban maze that is their subdivision so we keep walks short or just do multiple laps. Lol

• Like 4

Thanks so much for your support, ladies. I really have relied on this forum in many ways to help ease the stress of life, and to receive and try to provide encouragement. I'll be back when I can. Here's a last photo before I go of pup and I out kayaking.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wintermom said:

Thanks so much for your support, ladies. I really have relied on this forum in many ways to help ease the stress of life, and to receive and try to provide encouragement. I'll be back when I can. Here's a last photo before I go of pup and I out kayaking.

20220529_120111.jpg

Best wishes @wintermom

• Like 2

Not much exercise this weekend, just a bit of walking. I was so zonked on Friday and Saturday. This rolled into real issues getting any meaningful work done and napping a lot, but oddly also feeling better in the areas that have been so tight for so long. The dry needling is undoubtedly helping, but it sure does make me sleepy.

I'll pick up again properly tomorrow with a long walk and more PT stuff, and I have scheduled out exercise blocks this week: Tues weights/core, Wed walk with a friend, Thurs gyrotonics, Fri weights/core. 

• Like 4

Logged some incidental steps wandering around the theatre festival yesterday, then took the dog out for an evening walk (about 1.75K) to round out the daily goal.

We're off work today, and I have a bit of an emotional hangover from the combination of some stuff going on with my daughter and some stuff brought to the surface by a couple of the shows I saw yesterday. I slept later than I usually would on a Monday and took a little longer to get out walking. It was already warm, but I made my usual 4K. By the time I got home, though, I just wasn't into the concept of doing any additional exercise. I decided that doing an hour or two of cleaning in my office/craft room would count. 

I've out in an hour or so already and have managed to reach that stage at which the room looks worse than it did when I started. I definitely need to at least bag up and take out the trash and recycling and clear off/straighten up my desk before I give up for the day, because I have to be ready for work again tomorrow.

I hope/plan to do that 10K on the stationary bike this evening. 

Spring Start Challenge: 534.5 of 550K
Walking Streak: 28 days

• Like 5

Hi ladies, I just wanted to pop in to share some happy news about my mom. The details are in another thread (I wish I knew how to create a link so you didn't have to search for it, but it's late and my tech skills and done for the day). 

Hope you're all doing well! I'm thinking about you and I'll be back soon. ☺️

• Like 6

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

Hi ladies, I just wanted to pop in to share some happy news about my mom. The details are in another thread (I wish I knew how to create a link so you didn't have to search for it, but it's late and my tech skills and done for the day). 

Hope you're all doing well! I'm thinking about you and I'll be back soon. ☺️

Great news and see you soon! Here's the link   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Spent a few hours yesterday making progress in cleaning up/organizing my office/craft room, including climbing up and down the step ladder to finally hang most of the art work I like having in this room. (There are a few new things that need to be framed, still.) I'm totally counting that as my "exercise" for yesterday. Came home from a much-needed, two-store mega grocery shopping trip with my husband and realized I still needed to do that 10K stationary bike ride. It's not a long or difficult thing, but it sounded like less fun at that point in the day than it had when I planned it. 

In any case, I got it done, earned my final digital badge for the season, then went out for a short (1.5K) walk to finish off the day's steps. 

Started today with the usual 4K-ish walk, followed by a good strength and stretching session out on the patio watching the clouds and the birds above. No plans for anything more interesting than the usual evening walk to finish off the day.

Spring Start Challenge: 550.2 of 550K
Walking Streak: 29 days

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I was privileged to meet @Soror and her delightful family this evening!

You are too kind and just as lovely in person as online. The Scottish/English hospitality was very appreciated. I can't wait to finish off the cake. We found a tea bag you'd left afterwards so I can have it properly. The other drinks are tasty too. 

I've not met an online friend before. My kids were teasing me that you would be a random man. Lol. I told them that I "knew" you. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Busy today. Our car is out of action so I'll be taking buses to work. Pj sun salutations first thing then lots of walking.

Oh, no! I hope you didn't have any trouble on the way home.

------------

We have made it! Sleep is finally back to normalish. My hip has been really bothering me terribly. Pain and hobbling but finally yesterday evening it seemed to be easing up or I finally took enough Tylenol.

We are enjoying all the sites. Scotland is beautiful and we love the little town we are in. Today is Edinburgh. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Soror said:

Oh, no! I hope you didn't have any trouble on the way home.

------------

We have made it! Sleep is finally back to normalish. My hip has been really bothering me terribly. Pain and hobbling but finally yesterday evening it seemed to be easing up or I finally took enough Tylenol.

We are enjoying all the sites. Scotland is beautiful and we love the little town we are in. Today is Edinburgh. 

I'm glad your hip is doing better.  Have fun in Edinburgh!  The weather is doing that East-of-Scotland thing where it's sunshine one minute and then a quick downpour, then back to sunshine. 

The car behaved beautifully.  It started to make an odd noise as I entered our village, so I just drove it the few streets to home.  Husband has talked to the garage and they say it's safe to drive in, so he's getting it checked out today.

• Like 2

Oh, thank goodness you made it home safely. You had me worried. Hopefully, it is only something little. It is showing that it is not supposed to rain today in Edinburgh. I guess we'll see! I brought a jacket in case. We're on the train now on our way.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Soror said:

Oh, thank goodness you made it home safely. You had me worried. Hopefully, it is only something little. It is showing that it is not supposed to rain today in Edinburgh. I guess we'll see! I brought a jacket in case. We're on the train now on our way.

Excellent.  Apparently the car issue is just a minor brake thing and easy to fix.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

@Soror

You're probably all set with your agenda for Edinburgh, but just in case I'll throw in this tidbit. We loved the tour of Mary King's Close when we were there. It's one of the more unique offerings and absolutely fascinating.

Thanks! I actually looked at that but by the time we did the castle, walked the royal mile, and did the climb to Arthur's Seat we were done for the day!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1