Menu

Beautiful places you have been

mommyoffive

12 hours ago, ktgrok said:

The highlands of Scotland. Every time we went around a bend in the road we got a new, impossibly beautiful view.  We kept saying it was like Scotland was cheating, no way anywhere could REALLY be this pretty. We probably said that a dozen times. 

I also find the Everglades beautiful, but in a totally different way. 

Do you have some Everglades tips?  I am hoping to get there. 

11 hours ago, Corraleno said:

Bali is incredibly beautiful, especially inland away from the touristy beach areas. I spent a really blissful week there pre-kids.

Iceland is magic, there's just nowhere else like it on earth. I would love to go back some day, especially to see the northern lights.

Santorini, especially at sunset. Lucky to have been there twice, once on a college trip and once with my kids.

Venice is amazing and it felt much more exotic and other-worldly than I expected.

The Dordogne/Perigord region of southwestern France is my favorite place I've ever lived, and if not for various family considerations, I would have happily lived there for the rest of my life. 

My favorite place in the US is Ghost Ranch in northern NM. The colors of the landscape there really are exactly as Georgia O'Keefe painted them. That would be my first choice as a place to scatter my ashes.

I've also been to Fiji, Tonga, and NZ (that was all one trip), and I thought NZ was really gorgeous. 

I loved Venice.  It wasn't ever on my list, but now I want to go back. 

7 hours ago, Hannah said:

I love that you're listing those!  I grew upon Cape Town.  Southern Africa has so many beautiful places 

I almost listed those dunes in Namibia too. I love a starkly beautiful place like that. Those warm colors in the sand and the perfect blue sky and the emptiness. That monthlong trip we took in southern Africa a decade ago... gosh, one of the best trips I've ever taken.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

If we're talking gorgeous waterfalls, I was stunned by the beauty of Gullfoss, Iceland. I'd return to Iceland in a heartbeat. What a cool place to experience, with the sulfur-smelling natually heated showers and hot tubs!

Oh wow. I saw Gullfoss in the early spring and it was nothing like that. It was beautiful, but really stark. I don't think I realized how green it could get!

Punta Leona, Costa Rica. Beautiful area, clear water.

Iguazu Falls, both Argentine and Brazilian sides--different times of the year, which meant there were different perspectives as to high water, low water, migrating butterflies, going out to the island, no island to be seen, etc. Also, nearby there are Jesuit ruins that I found beautiful in their own way.

One of my favorite places isn't "beautiful," as in a majestic awe-inspiring way. But I grew up on a pretty lake, and the views from the dock, especially in the evening, were so peaceful. I miss it so.

• Like 1

Well the most exotic gorgeous location was hiking in the Himalayas in Nepal.  I've been to many national parks, so many gems. 

Cinque Terre Italy, Alahambra, Granada Spain, spring in Ireland

I thought Amsterdam and Venice were lovely cities with the channels.  

45 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Oh wow. I saw Gullfoss in the early spring and it was nothing like that. It was beautiful, but really stark. I don't think I realized how green it could get!

A lot of Iceland does remain void of bright colours, however that's part of it's charm. There's a sublety in the mutted landscape. It's similar to northern Scotland, I'd guess. The most bright colouring might actually be in the fall, when the mosses and lichens turn bright shades of red. 

• Like 1

I'm surely biased but I think my state is incredibly beautiful. Florida is so much more than just theme parks and condos on crowded beaches. It's one of the most biodiverse states in the US and has more than 80 distinct ecosystems. I wish more people knew how beautiful it is here. I've traveled around multiple areas of the state and still want to see more, plus I appreciate local beauty right here at home.

As for travel outside my home state, the water in the Caribbean is beautiful. Wales is absolutely gorgeous. I was there in the late 1980s and still remember how some areas of that country took my breath away. 

I think beauty in nature can be found most anywhere (yes, even in urban areas) if you know where to look and don't have preconceived notions of what "beauty" is. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, TheReader said:

Oh, gosh....so many. I've been incredibly blessed to get to travel a ton - a lot due to DH's work. Some of my favorites, in no particular order:

Fernando de Noronha (island off the coast of Brazil) 

Florence, Italy

Cozumel

Paraty, RJ, Brazil

Pensacola, Florida

Cloudcroft, NM

lots of other beaches in Brazil 

the Amazon (we were in the area above Manaus, but I assume once your on the river, it's all gorgeous)

I spent the first 10 years of my childhood near Manaus. It is beautiful!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Do you have some Everglades tips?  I am hoping to get there. 

I worked in a summer camp run by the Fish and Game department (now called something else), so I was living in a cabin, doing marsh hikes and such. I don't think that's practical for most people...so I'm honestly not quite sure what the best method or place to go is. I will say, bring bug spray. Not that family friendly "sensitive skin crap" but at least 20% DEET type. We felt SO bad for the kids whose parents packed the stuff without much DEET - the mosquitoes at night will swarm like a flock of birds. 

I know down south there is Everglades National Park. 

Oh, or if you will be near Orlando in your travels, I also highly advise the Apopka Wildlife Drive! SOOOO many amazing birds and alligators and such!

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 2