Menu

Well-trained bodies - April

Laura Corin

14 minutes ago, Soror said:

I feel crappy and my stupid hip is really bothering me. Monday I manged 5.5k steps and only 1.5k yesterday. Today the hip is not as bad but my energy is 0. My head is full of snot and I'm not sleeping well with the drainage. I did upper body strength yesterday but that was all the energy I had. Today is supposed to be another lower body day--- if I do anything it will be rehab'/pt movements for my hip. The problem is I don't get pain during movements to know what is bothering it. I dropped the weights but evidently there are some movements that are not working right now--- things I did just fine for years before. It is a combo of pushing too hard and too much time sitting (more than usual the last several months with thyroid med issues). Energy levels are better these days and I've been more active but I got work to do to make up for that time. My hip flexors are entirely too tight and I slacked on foam rolling, which really helped. It drives home I have to be careful with my body. With my upper body I've learned the hard way to go much more slowly than I think I should- otherwise my injury would flare up again and again. Then same for HIIT-- I cannot go all out. I have to do less than I feel like I can do. Now, it is the same with my lower body. It has not given me issues before so I went on. I worked on pushing heavier weights b/c I felt I was not progressing. But I have to keep things a bit easy. It is such a balancing act- because I have had times when I've been scared by injury and ended up not progressing when I could. But better to err on not progressing than to err towards injury. So, for the time being I'll continue on with upper body work and rehab the lower body-- and no weights.

I can relate to so much of this. A number of years ago I injured something in my hip during a boot camp class; it took 2 years for a DO to finally work it out—mostly. I still don’t know where exactly the injury is, but it flares up now and again if I move the wrong way/do the wrong thing. Ofc I don’t know what those wrong movements are that cause the flare up, so I have to avoid all sorts of potential stressors to the area. The injury completely derailed my ability to work out for those couple of years, and just as I was finding my way again Covid hit and derailed me in a different way. In the meantime my baby making parts rebelled and went haywire, making all sorts of exercise all but impossible. Before the hip injury I had been unaccustomed to being held back by my own body and it really did a number on my confidence in what my body is capable of. I'm determined now to heal from my surgery correctly and find my way back, but it’s been a journey for sure. 

sending you ((hugs))

• Like 3

@Soror Oh the joys of an aging body. 😅  It's like working on a ticking time bomb. You never know what's going to set it off.  I think you're doing a great job listening to your body and modifying when and where needed. 

I can only imagine the conversations between pro athletes in the locker room:

20yr: Man my hip hurts. I got a charlie horse yesterday and I'm still not 100% today! ☹️

40yr: Crap, that old charlie horse from 20 years ago is still flaring up. Pass my meds duffle bag, baby cakes. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

@Soror - I can relate to some degree. It really stinks to recognize that, no matter how hard you work at maintaining things, your body is going to do what it's going to do. 

I was in the office on Monday for the first time in a while, and I realized when I stood up and started to walk out of the meeting room how much ground I have lost since I regularly worked in the building just two years ago. 

I hope you find ways to feel better soon.

• Like 5

@Soror, I can relate too.  Realising that the left side of my body will never flex like the right, that I can't run anymore because of my arthritic knee, and that nagging hip pain I couldn't get rid of was directly related to one of my favourite yoga moves.  Oh well - 60 next year and doing okay, all in all.

Today - woke up at stupid o'clock because of a work stress thing (a colleague whom I trained is on holiday and I discovered whilst covering for her that the training didn't take as well as I thought, so I have lots of apologies to make and firefighting to do).  Did a full yoga session first thing, then walked at lunchtime.

• Like 6

Hmmmm, very close to a carbon copy of yesterday for me:

• Waking up stiff and sore? Check.
  • Trouble getting out of bed? Check
  • Walking not quite my 4K goal? Check
  • Busy work day ahead that will likely mean far too much sitting in a chair? Check

I did do a 20-minute seated upper body workout video after my walk.

Also, I tried out the run/walk club last night. It was fine, but I'm not sure I'll go back. I was the only walker, and although the coach managed everyone's needs well and most of the other folks were kind and welcoming, it felt very awkward to be the "only." And I've never participated in anything like this before, so maybe it's normal. But I was kind of hoping for more "content" or "coaching" beyond stretching together before and after and being told to "do it again a little faster."

I suspect it's more helpful for people who need to nudge of a schedule time and some peer pressure to get out and run. 

I have plans that conflict with the next meeting (tomorrow evening), so I have the rest of the week to consider whether I want to give it another try next Tuesday.

In the meantime, more walking later this afternoon and/or evening. If I disentangle myself from work early enough and feel up to it otherwise, I may try to attend a virtual yoga class this evening. I did it for a few weeks and then skipped some when life and work got busy. I would like to work it back into my regular routine, though.

Spring Start 2022 Challenge: 192.9 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 410 Days

• Like 6

My shoulder has been flaring all weekend. I had thought it was finally really better, moved furniture this past weekend, and cannot get it to calm down. Taking a break for the rest of the week on anything weights related and seeing the PT extra tomorrow, thankfully.

Am hoping to get in a walk today. Other than that, I am focusing on Easter prep and lots of house stuff (setting things up in the newly-fixed up basement).

• Like 4

More drama with my mom. She fell again today, but this time broke her hip. She'll need surgery. I'll be heading out to help out, visit, etc.  

I did manage to geta nice long walk with friends and I brought the puppy along for the walk. He did great, and I had a really nice walk and talk with friends. The one who is moving - her house already sold and they close mid-May. Eek! That's fast!

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

10,135 steps + 100 slightly modified reps on rower (5.5 minutes) + week 7 yoga

I'm feeling closer to normal every day now, doing regular activities around the house as well as running to the grocery and so on. I'm not experiencing discomfort and have a lot more energy; I did take a nap after a long walk but don’t have to rest after accomplishing every basic task any more. 

• Like 6

13 hours ago, MEmama said:

10,135 steps + 100 slightly modified reps on rower (5.5 minutes) + week 7 yoga

I'm feeling closer to normal every day now, doing regular activities around the house as well as running to the grocery and so on. I'm not experiencing discomfort and have a lot more energy; I did take a nap after a long walk but don’t have to rest after accomplishing every basic task any more. 

Woohoo!!! I can't imagine how amazing you must feel with getting back to normal.

14 hours ago, wintermom said:

More drama with my mom. She fell again today, but this time broke her hip. She'll need surgery. I'll be heading out to help out, visit, etc.  

I did manage to geta nice long walk with friends and I brought the puppy along for the walk. He did great, and I had a really nice walk and talk with friends. The one who is moving - her house already sold and they close mid-May. Eek! That's fast!

I'm so sorry for both of those. You are going through a hard season. Thinking of you in this time.

17 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

My shoulder has been flaring all weekend. I had thought it was finally really better, moved furniture this past weekend, and cannot get it to calm down. Taking a break for the rest of the week on anything weights related and seeing the PT extra tomorrow, thankfully.

Am hoping to get in a walk today. Other than that, I am focusing on Easter prep and lots of house stuff (setting things up in the newly-fixed up basement).

I'm sorry! Shoulders are so finicky. I have to watch repetitive movement with mine. I don't know if they ever really recover.

22 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Hmmmm, very close to a carbon copy of yesterday for me:

• Waking up stiff and sore? Check.
  • Trouble getting out of bed? Check
  • Walking not quite my 4K goal? Check
  • Busy work day ahead that will likely mean far too much sitting in a chair? Check

I did do a 20-minute seated upper body workout video after my walk.

Also, I tried out the run/walk club last night. It was fine, but I'm not sure I'll go back. I was the only walker, and although the coach managed everyone's needs well and most of the other folks were kind and welcoming, it felt very awkward to be the "only." And I've never participated in anything like this before, so maybe it's normal. But I was kind of hoping for more "content" or "coaching" beyond stretching together before and after and being told to "do it again a little faster."

I suspect it's more helpful for people who need to nudge of a schedule time and some peer pressure to get out and run. 

I have plans that conflict with the next meeting (tomorrow evening), so I have the rest of the week to consider whether I want to give it another try next Tuesday.

In the meantime, more walking later this afternoon and/or evening. If I disentangle myself from work early enough and feel up to it otherwise, I may try to attend a virtual yoga class this evening. I did it for a few weeks and then skipped some when life and work got busy. I would like to work it back into my regular routine, though.

Spring Start 2022 Challenge: 192.9 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 410 Days

aha. I can get that. Joining a new group and being the odd man out isn't so fun, especially when your not getting much out of it.

23 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

@Soror, I can relate too.  Realising that the left side of my body will never flex like the right, that I can't run anymore because of my arthritic knee, and that nagging hip pain I couldn't get rid of was directly related to one of my favourite yoga moves.  Oh well - 60 next year and doing okay, all in all.

Today - woke up at stupid o'clock because of a work stress thing (a colleague whom I trained is on holiday and I discovered whilst covering for her that the training didn't take as well as I thought, so I have lots of apologies to make and firefighting to do).  Did a full yoga session first thing, then walked at lunchtime.

I hope you got through the most of it. I bet that was a huge stress. 

I have to ask which yoga move aggravated it? I just do pretty gentle yoga these days but find my body doesn't move the same or like the same things, or maybe I'm more intune with my body, idk.

On 4/13/2022 at 6:18 AM, MEmama said:

I can relate to so much of this. A number of years ago I injured something in my hip during a boot camp class; it took 2 years for a DO to finally work it out—mostly. I still don’t know where exactly the injury is, but it flares up now and again if I move the wrong way/do the wrong thing. Ofc I don’t know what those wrong movements are that cause the flare up, so I have to avoid all sorts of potential stressors to the area. The injury completely derailed my ability to work out for those couple of years, and just as I was finding my way again Covid hit and derailed me in a different way. In the meantime my baby making parts rebelled and went haywire, making all sorts of exercise all but impossible. Before the hip injury I had been unaccustomed to being held back by my own body and it really did a number on my confidence in what my body is capable of. I'm determined now to heal from my surgery correctly and find my way back, but it’s been a journey for sure. 

sending you ((hugs))

23 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

@Soror - I can relate to some degree. It really stinks to recognize that, no matter how hard you work at maintaining things, your body is going to do what it's going to do. 

I was in the office on Monday for the first time in a while, and I realized when I stood up and started to walk out of the meeting room how much ground I have lost since I regularly worked in the building just two years ago. 

I hope you find ways to feel better soon.

Yes, losing ground despite working so hard is tough. Inhjuring and aggravating injuries despite trying to be careful. Realizing limitations and the glacial pace, if any of gains. Sigh.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I felt rotten yesterday morning but felt better as the day went. Still not many steps -- only 3.5k. Just doing basic tasks around the house was enough for me.

Feeling much better today. Still stuffy but got some decent sleep (finally). I should be able to get 10k today. Although, my hip is still bothering me so I will not be walking very fast. It is slowly improving - I did some gentle rehab exercises and foam rolling on it yesterday. 

Today's plan: 

walks (SLOW)+ foam rolling and stretching

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Soror said:

I felt rotten yesterday morning but felt better as the day went. Still not many steps -- only 3.5k. Just doing basic tasks around the house was enough for me.

Feeling much better today. Still stuffy but got some decent sleep (finally). I should be able to get 10k today. Although, my hip is still bothering me so I will not be walking very fast. It is slowly improving - I did some gentle rehab exercises and foam rolling on it yesterday. 

Today's plan: 

walks (SLOW)+ foam rolling and stretching

Wish we could slow walk together! 🙂 

Good for you for getting out and doing what you can. “Accepting my limitations” has been my mantra the past several weeks. 

• Like 3

I did not make it to (virtual) yoga last night. I've been having a challenging week in a variety of ways and just could not scrape up the energy that would have been required to let the teacher know I wanted to attend, Venmo her the fee, set up my mat and computer appropriately and get myself settled. Instead, I tried a new recipe for dinner, ate far too much of it and then forced myself out for a good (4.2K) walk. 

The weather was nice, and the dog opted not to join me, so I was able to wander (and stop to appreciate the sunset) at my own pace.

I'm still feeling draggy and sore and generally ick and was late getting started this morning. I cut my walk a little short (3.5K) but did do a full floor-based strength and stretch session. 

I'm scheduled to go to dinner with some friends, but I plan/hope to get in another walk this evening to at least get to my step goal for the day.

Spring Start 2022 Challenge: 200.6 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 411 Days

IMG_20220413_194112679.jpg

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 6

It's raining outside, but when it clears I'll take the dogs for a walk. 

@Soror Glad you were able to sleep well! That's huge.

@MEmama Those slow walks are far better than no walks - enjoy the scenery and take photos for us. 😉 

@Jenny in Florida Thanks for sharing the gorgeous sunset with us!!

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 5

@Soror it was Pigeon.  I can still do reclined Pigeon, but full Pigeon on my front is just too much for my right hip.  You know how some poses or sequences are just really satisfying?  Pigeon was that, but my hip disagrees.  On the subject, this part of my daily sequence is really fun at present - I'm quite wobbly, but I enjoy the challenge of working from pose 3 to 7 completely on one foot.

Today: PJ sun salutations first thing, walk at lunchtime, garden clean up after work before the garden waste bin is picked up tomorrow.

image.thumb.png.4d7a35b7cf52a82e92683da82e4f766d.png

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

@Soror it was Pigeon.  I can still do reclined Pigeon, but full Pigeon on my front is just too much for my right hip.  You know how some poses or sequences are just really satisfying?  Pigeon was that, but my hip disagrees.  On the subject, this part of my daily sequence is really fun at present - I'm quite wobbly, but I enjoy the challenge of working from pose 3 to 7 completely on one foot.

Today: PJ sun salutations first thing, walk at lunchtime, garden clean up after work before the garden waste bin is picked up tomorrow.

How do you transition from post 4 to 5? Is there an intermediate pose or position? I'd fall over without, I'm pretty sure! 😅

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Aha, pigeon! I could see that as a problem for some hips. It has always felt good to me but I'm avoiding it right now since my hip is already giving troubles. It is satisfying to work those sequences. My balance isn't great either--- nice work making that transition. I should work on balance poses more these days. The hardest part for me is always my ankles- which is a hint I should work them more.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Soror said:

Aha, pigeon! I could see that as a problem for some hips. It has always felt good to me but I'm avoiding it right now since my hip is already giving troubles. It is satisfying to work those sequences. My balance isn't great either--- nice work making that transition. I should work on balance poses more these days. The hardest part for me is always my ankles- which is a hint I should work them more.

Yes.  I actually don't like leg balances at all - my ankles turn over.  But for some reason I enjoy this sequence, perhaps because it's fairly dynamic, so the wobbles are part of the general movement.  I stop in Warrior III for five breaths, and that's the time I'm most likely to fall over.

I much prefer arm balances. I do a bit of Crow most days - I'm not as good at it as I used to be though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Soror said:

My knees don't like pigeon anymore. My hips actually enjoyed it - at least at the time I was doing it. Bodies are so weird. 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

PT first thing this morning. The MAT adjustments helped, and she also did dry needling. I've never had that done before and I didn't expect it to feel how it felt. The line of tension going through my left shoulder is killing me (much worse yesterday and this morning, better now but still flaring)--when she put the needle in it felt fine? And yet at the same time half my face got all twitchy. And then when the procedure was done I definitely felt better, with better mobility, but also weirdly overwhelmed and almost groggy. I called dh from the car and hearing myself talk was bizarre--I was speaking in slow-mo, groggy. The PT warned me it makes some people "sleepy." (I stayed in the car just reading for several minutes until I felt more like myself.) It did seem to help both with my neck/shoulder pain and she also did one on my forearm to break up the spasm connected to my epicondalitis (happened at the same time as the shoulder injury).

Has anyone else had dry needling?

So I'm taking it easy to let my left shoulder and back settle down. I did take a short walk and I am trying to pull together the house before my kids come home, so that's a fair number of stairs. My hope is to go for a walk each of the next three days, plus some PT motions to help ease my neck/shoulder. Then on Monday I'll do a lighter version of weights and core.

• Like 4

I've been working on getting into healthier shape.  Exercise has been a bit tricky with a five-month-old who hates leaving the house, but I've been trying to get out walking every day, and he has grudgingly gotten more accepting of going out in the stroller or carrier. 

I actually lost a significant amount of weight during my pregnancy, unintentionally.  (I weighed four lbs. less the morning I went in to be induced than I did the morning I found out I was pregnant, and 25 lbs. less a few weeks after giving birth.)  But when I was struggling with my milk supply for a few months, I decided not to even look at my weight, and I managed to gain back 12 of the pounds I had lost within a few months.  Ugh!  I've been working on it, though, and have relost 9 of those twelve pounds. 

I need to get healthy and find an equilibrium.  I have gained a lot of stress weight over the past two years.  I don't want to live this way forever, and my life is not going to get less stressful, so I need to learn how to live in a healthy way with the stress.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, MEmama said:

7,062 steps + 10 minutes rowing + week 7 yoga + 2 decent attempts at @Laura Corin's yoga sequence 🙂 

Only one walk today in the drizzle, but at a  back-to-normal pace.

I had my 6 week post op appointment this morning and have been cleared for all regular life activities—yay! 

That sequence relies on abdominal muscles for stability, so any kind of attempt at this stage is a success.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For the first time in almost a month, I didn't make my step goal yesterday. I ended up hanging out with my friends for longer than planned, and even if it hadn't been storming by the time I left the restaurant to head home (which it was), I was feeling pretty wiped out. It was lovely to see folks and catch up, but I'm pretty introverted and spending a few hours being "on" with more than one person while also sitting in a loud public space was . . . a lot for me.

I walked the usual 4K this morning under drippy but not actually raining skies and followed that with a 20-minute seated upper body workout video. 

Assuming the weather holds, I'll aim for another walk this evening after work. 

Does anyone have fun movement plans for the weekend? I have nothing on my calendar but am thinking I should try to do something other than the usual wandering around the neighborhood. I "owe" myself a virtual 5K (Save the Manatee). My t-shirt and medal package arrived yesterday, reminding me that I haven't done it yet. So, that might be my goal for the weekend? But I'd like to come up with somewhere more interesting/apropos to walk than just around the neighborhood.

Spring Start 2022 Challenge: 204.6 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 412 Days

• Like 6

@Jenny in Floridanothing special planned here. It is dd1's bday weekend + Easter so we'll be busy most of the weekend, no time to really go anywhere I don't think.

@Condessa Welcome!

@Harriet Vane I've only vaguely heard of dry needling.

Managed a whopping 5k steps yesterday. My hip was KILLING me by the end of the day, like any walking was painful. I have no idea why. I didn't do anything. I took 3 Ibuprofens before bed and I can walk ok today. I've noticed that I have to watch my stride-- marching in place is fine but my regular walk is a bit painful because it is wider.

I did 4k this morning with variations of marching+ upper body exercises

I'm taking the girls to a petting zoo and am a little worried that my walking around will aggravate it. I'm going to try my best to be mindful of how I'm walking.

Allergies slowly improving and energy is nearly normal. I'm still somewhat stuffy but it is manageable (although I've got the lovely allergy shiners right now).

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

@Soror I'm so sorry your hip is still painful. I know when I was in the thick of the recent knee flare-up, I often had to intentionally bring my focus to how I was walking and adjust in order to alleviate discomfort. I think of it as getting "in the pocket." I know how I need to position myself and walk, but I often fall out of it when I'm not paying attention or when I'm trying to keep up a certain pace.

I hope you can enjoy your time at the petting zoo and that it doesn't stress your hip.

• Like 6

Hello All,  checking in for accountability.  I've been fairly consistent with morning walks and my lifting schedule.  Planning to run more when the weather gets warmer.  My favorite step video from the 90's keeps appearing and disappearing on and off of you tube and vimeo but when I find it I add that into my schedule as many days as I can before it disappears from the web.

• Like 7

14,101 steps + 15 minutes rowing + week 7 yoga 

A busy, active day today and feeling great. Rowing felt so good this morning, I’m almost able to fold entirely forward and I was able to put a lot more strength into each stroke. My plan is to build up a little more time, then start slowly increasing the resistance as I’m able. 

• Like 6

Did the treadmill this morning. I gave blood at a school blood drive today on my prep period--first time in 20 years. And I passed out after I was done but was still on the table. That has happened twice before but I was hoping maybe I had grown out of it. And then I've just been tired and wanting to sit the rest of the day. So that was probably my last blood drive. I think I just need all of my blood!

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Ali in OR said:

Did the treadmill this morning. I gave blood at a school blood drive today on my prep period--first time in 20 years. And I passed out after I was done but was still on the table. That has happened twice before but I was hoping maybe I had grown out of it. And then I've just been tired and wanting to sit the rest of the day. So that was probably my last blood drive. I think I just need all of my blood!

My last time was about that long ago, too. I was told not to try again so I’ve been too scared to attempt it again. I keep thinking it might be different now but I’d be nervous for sure. Good for you for trying— I hope you recover tonight. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

Oh, no 😞 I hope you feel better today. I don't pass out giving blood but my iron tends towards low so I don't give very often. 

11 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

I took a good, long walk over hilly, forested terrain with dh and dd and sil. It was a challenge with all the spasms in my shoulder but it was so good to be out somewhere different. And so good to be with dd and sil. 🥰

Ya, for a good day. Sorry your shoulder is still bothering you.

21 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

@Soror I'm so sorry your hip is still painful. I know when I was in the thick of the recent knee flare-up, I often had to intentionally bring my focus to how I was walking and adjust in order to alleviate discomfort. I think of it as getting "in the pocket." I know how I need to position myself and walk, but I often fall out of it when I'm not paying attention or when I'm trying to keep up a certain pace.

I hope you can enjoy your time at the petting zoo and that it doesn't stress your hip.

Yes, it is very difficult to change your gait and keep it that way.

12 hours ago, MEmama said:

14,101 steps + 15 minutes rowing + week 7 yoga 

A busy, active day today and feeling great. Rowing felt so good this morning, I’m almost able to fold entirely forward and I was able to put a lot more strength into each stroke. My plan is to build up a little more time, then start slowly increasing the resistance as I’m able. 

I know it must seem incredibly slow going through it but looking in it seems you have recovered so well, so quickly. It must feel incredibly to be feeling that strength coming out of recovery.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 5

8,500 steps yesterday--

Energy feels mostly normal but I was up a few times with drainage causing some dry coughing last night. Hip feels ok so far today. By the end of yesterday it was hurting more again but not near the level of the previous day (where any walking was painful). 

I don't know exercise plans yet for today. DD1 has company over for her bday, then I got to take her to work, and there is an Easter Egg hunt later. 

I still don't think it is good idea to try for a regular walk- I don't think I could keep up the change in gait walking a longer distance but we'll see how it feels as I go about my day. I do NOT want to make it worse so I'm trying to go slow and steady.

• Like 6

Did a gentle yoga this morning. It may have said Yoga for Seniors. Also went to bed before 9:00 and even though I wake a lot during the night, I always fell back asleep. Dh says to just sleep in but my body can't do that. And my cat can't do that. Trying to get a lot done but also take it easy this weekend...is that possible?

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

So that was probably my last blood drive. I think I just need all of my blood!

I timed out a few times trying to give blood. Apparently, my blood volume is fairly low, and it's hard to get enough out of me to fill the bag within the allotted time. (I'm also a "hard stick" for just regular things like blood testing and IVs, because my veins are small and tend to wiggle away from the needles.)

So, as much as I believe in the value of donating, I've reluctantly decided I need to find other ways to support the effort.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Soror said:

I know it must seem incredibly slow going through it but looking in it seems you have recovered so well, so quickly. It must feel incredibly to be feeling that strength coming out of recovery.

Thank you! It’s weird, like very suddenly I feel completely back to normal— except so, so much better than my normal. I know I’m not entirely healed yet, but yeah, definitely on the other side. 

2 hours ago, Soror said:

I do NOT want to make it worse so I'm trying to go slow and steady.

This is the way! 👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I scooted out the door last night right after dinner to walk (4.3K) before the anticipated storm started. It never did get terrible outside, but it was nice to be "done" earlier in the evening than usual. 

Went out this morning for a 2.2K ramble with the dog, then dropped her home and logged my 2K Bunny Hop to earn a badge for the Spring Start challenge. Currently, the leaderboard says I'm #35 of over 400 participants and #1 in my demographic group. With two days left to complete the badge, though, I'm sure I'll drop in the standings.

No yoga at the lake class this week, because it's a holiday weekend. Instead,  I did my floor-based strength and stretching outside on our new screened patio. It's already warm today, but it still felt good to be outside in the sun and air. (Pic of the view from my mat included below.)

My husband needs some new clothes for am upcoming business trip, so I'm going to log some steps by tagging along on his trip to the outlet mall. Then, weather permitting, I'll top off the step count with another walk this evening.

Spring Start 2022 Challenge: 213.1 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 413 Days

IMG_20220416_100653832_HDR.jpg

• Like 5

As planned, I got a nice chunk of steps in while out shopping with my husband yesterday, then topped off with a walk in the evening.

Took a good, solid 4.5K walk around the neighborhood this morning. Today is my rest day, so no additional exercise. I have a few chores to do around the house, after which I might head out to wander a pop-up artisan market (mostly to distract myself from the fact that my kids are all grown up and I have no other Easter plans). Then it'll be the usual evening walk to round out the day.

Spring Start 2022 Challenge: 219.2 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 414 Days

• Like 5

On 4/14/2022 at 6:47 PM, Harriet Vane said:

PT first thing this morning. The MAT adjustments helped, and she also did dry needling. I've never had that done before and I didn't expect it to feel how it felt. The line of tension going through my left shoulder is killing me (much worse yesterday and this morning, better now but still flaring)--when she put the needle in it felt fine? And yet at the same time half my face got all twitchy. And then when the procedure was done I definitely felt better, with better mobility, but also weirdly overwhelmed and almost groggy. I called dh from the car and hearing myself talk was bizarre--I was speaking in slow-mo, groggy. The PT warned me it makes some people "sleepy." (I stayed in the car just reading for several minutes until I felt more like myself.) It did seem to help both with my neck/shoulder pain and she also did one on my forearm to break up the spasm connected to my epicondalitis (happened at the same time as the shoulder injury).

Has anyone else had dry needling?

So I'm taking it easy to let my left shoulder and back settle down. I did take a short walk and I am trying to pull together the house before my kids come home, so that's a fair number of stairs. My hope is to go for a walk each of the next three days, plus some PT motions to help ease my neck/shoulder. Then on Monday I'll do a lighter version of weights and core.

Yes, I've had this done several times and I like it. Seems to help with recovery. I like the short needles. They seem less scary than long ones. Hope your PT is helping with your pain and recovery. All the best!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A good 5-mile gentle walk with Husband and Hobbes this morning. This afternoon Hobbes and I  made footing for a bench at the back of a bed, then put stepping stones across the bed. Tomorrow I hope to dig the bed over again and start planting around it.

• Like 5

The pop-up art market was a nice outing yesterday. I spent more money than I perhaps should have, but I justify it by remembering I'm supporting local, independent artists. I finished off the day with another 3.2K around the neighborhood to finish off the daily step goal. One of our local bunnies made an appearance in honor of the day.

I didn't sleep well or long enough last night, resulting in another morning of needing to rely on force of will to get out of bed. But I did it and walked a solid 4.3K before heading onto the screened patio for some strength and stretching.

Spring Start 2022 Challenge: 226.7 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 415 Days

IMG_20220417_190402852.jpg

• Like 4