Menu

Well-trained bodies - April

Laura Corin

Two days of nothing (though my watch credits me with some exercise for getting from car to building and walking around the building some). Today was a power walk video and some hopeful thinking that our regular caregiver will indeed show up at 7:30.

My right knee is definitely have some issues. I don't notice it most of the time, but during the workout I was supposed to use it as my standing leg in a bent knee position while the left leg did other stuff--nope. Lots of pain, not doing that. Have no idea what I did to it.

• Sad 4

@MEmama Those photos are beautiful! I'm curious about the yellow flowers as well. I've never seen any like that before. Glad your ds is having a good time in Scotland.

I got to play outdoor tennis yesterday for the first time this year! It was really fun. We have snow this morning, though. It's been falling pretty heavily for the past 3 hours. This is not as fun. 😉 The puppy wants to go for a walk and I'm not very excited about being outside in the snow. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

@MEmama and @wintermom that's gorse, or whin in Scots.  Very prickly!  It flowers pretty much year round, leading to the rhyme 'When the whin's in bloom, kissing's in season'. 

When the sunshine warms the blossom, it smells strongly of coconut.

Thank you!

But now I’m trying to figure out how to make “bloom” and “season” rhyme… 🙂 

I just looked it up and apparently it grows in parts of the east and west coasts of the US but not as far north as we live. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Thank you!

But now I’m trying to figure out how to make “bloom” and “season” rhyme… 🙂 

I just looked it up and apparently it grows in parts of the east and west coasts of the US but not as far north as we live. 

You're right. A saying, not a rhyme.

• Like 3

I walked after work yesterday and took a close up of some gorse. It smelled like sunscreen and beaches.

This morning I took an early frosty walk up the den/valley and photographed spring flowers. I'll do some sun salutations but that will be it for the day.

The flowers are blackthorn,  wood anemone,  native bluebell and, I think, Allium paradoxum.

20220427_165137.jpg

20220428_075113.jpg

20220428_075603.jpg

20220428_075650.jpg

20220428_075849.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Laura Corin Gorgeous wild flowers! Thanks for sharing and including the names! 

Yesterday I was digging out weeds in the backyard in preparation for my pondless waterfall. Some of the root systems are insanely hard to dig up! I'm finding roots as thick as my wrist linking many different 'babies' on the surface. Luckily my ds 19 helped finish off the hill, as my back was really sore. 

I also got in a walk with a friend today. It's my birthday today! Dh and I are going out for a steak dinner tonight. 😁  I'm also trying to connect with my mom to chat on the phone.

• Like 2

apologies I can't like anyone's post today and can't get tags to come up---

16 hours ago, wintermom said:

@Laura Corin Gorgeous wild flowers! Thanks for sharing and including the names! 

Yesterday I was digging out weeds in the backyard in preparation for my pondless waterfall. Some of the root systems are insanely hard to dig up! I'm finding roots as thick as my wrist linking many different 'babies' on the surface. Luckily my ds 19 helped finish off the hill, as my back was really sore. 

I also got in a walk with a friend today. It's my birthday today! Dh and I are going out for a steak dinner tonight. 😁  I'm also trying to connect with my mom to chat on the phone.

Happy, happy birthday!!!!! Enjoy your friend time and dinner out. I hope you reach your mom.

On 4/28/2022 at 2:59 AM, Laura Corin said:

I walked after work yesterday and took a close up of some gorse. It smelled like sunscreen and beaches.

This morning I took an early frosty walk up the den/valley and photographed spring flowers. I'll do some sun salutations but that will be it for the day.

The flowers are blackthorn,  wood anemone,  native bluebell and, I think, Allium paradoxum.

I love wildflowers, gorgeous.

On 4/27/2022 at 9:24 AM, MEmama said:

Can I just pretend these photos are from my neighborhood walk yesterday? 🤣

(full disclosure I didn’t do much. DS texted me the photos from his day trip to Edinburgh)

@Laura Corin do you know what the yellow flowers are?

Thank you for sharing the beautiful pics. Looks like your ds had a great trip.

On 4/27/2022 at 9:16 AM, Harriet Vane said:

It has been nutty here the last few days. Yesterday I had hoped to do weights and core and ended up just taking a short walk. Today will likely be the same, but tomorrow my schedule will ease up significantly and I will be able to get in a longer, more intense workout.

I'm sorry, seems you've had so much busyness. I don't know how you are sticking with anything.

On 4/27/2022 at 8:20 AM, Ali in OR said:

Two days of nothing (though my watch credits me with some exercise for getting from car to building and walking around the building some). Today was a power walk video and some hopeful thinking that our regular caregiver will indeed show up at 7:30.

My right knee is definitely have some issues. I don't notice it most of the time, but during the workout I was supposed to use it as my standing leg in a bent knee position while the left leg did other stuff--nope. Lots of pain, not doing that. Have no idea what I did to it.

How is the knee today? 

• Like 3

This week has obviously been off but I'm getting in exercise as I can-- even if it isn't my best effort. 

Mon/Tues/Wed- strength training; some walks -- don't remember what days

Today--- full body strength training/40ish minutes--planning for a walk too

I have a mountain of laundry and housework to get caught up on but am feeling tired so we'll see what I get done.

• Like 4

I continue my no-exercise lifestyle. We continue to have no regular care-provider, sometimes a substitute provider, but I'm doing the morning care routine. On the plus side, a foster care home we toured that was wonderful is open to taking our dd (nothing immediately) but would need to hire extra help...and that's the challenge.

Knee still hurts to support full weight while bent. Dr. Google says arthritis may be the most likely. As I tell dh, that is not as exciting as a "training injury while preparing for a triathalon." Just makes me sound old.

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, Soror said:

This week has obviously been off but I'm getting in exercise as I can-- even if it isn't my best effort. 

I have a mountain of laundry and housework to get caught up on but am feeling tired so we'll see what I get done.

Big hugs to you through this difficult time. Glad you are able to fit in exercise for yourself. Carving out positive self care is extra challenging during emotionally draining times. 😪 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

I continue my no-exercise lifestyle. We continue to have no regular care-provider, sometimes a substitute provider, but I'm doing the morning care routine. On the plus side, a foster care home we toured that was wonderful is open to taking our dd (nothing immediately) but would need to hire extra help...and that's the challenge.

Knee still hurts to support full weight while bent. Dr. Google says arthritis may be the most likely. As I tell dh, that is not as exciting as a "training injury while preparing for a triathalon." Just makes me sound old.

I'm so sorry, Ali. I hope that you can find a new fix for your dd's care really soon. I'm sure you are doing a lot of physical activity simply with your daily routine. Hope you can find a way to carve out some self-care time, too! ((big hugs))

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

I'm sorry - care arrangements sound really hard.

Welcome to the arthritic knee club. I just rest mine as needed,  then carry on emphasising strength and fitness once it's usable again.

• Like 4

I've been doing more backyard weeding and prep for the pondless waterfall, as well as daily walks with dogs and other less-furry friends. 😉 

I did get to chat with my mom yesterday, and she sounded really good. Such a relief, and wonderful to hear her voice. Her moods fluctuate, but it's great to know that there is hope in her outlook and she's happy to be making progress in her recovery. 😊

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Soror said:

I'm sorry, seems you've had so much busyness. I don't know how you are sticking with anything.

LOL, yes, lots of busyness. I've always preferred a busy schedule, but I had some unexpected things pop up this spring that has made it more so. Fortunately, I am backing away from some work responsibilities over the next several months to bring a little more sanity into the mix.

I did get in some good, long, solid walks both yesterday and today, and I did some work for neck and shoulders and arms (weights and stretchy bands). The walking felt really, really good, so I am glad.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

We're all getting older, it's no fair, to be dealing with injuries and such when we're working so hard to stay active but that's the way it is. 

Does the foster care home have any timeline on when they might have an opening? Would that be a place she is at PT or FT? 

22 hours ago, wintermom said:

I've been doing more backyard weeding and prep for the pondless waterfall, as well as daily walks with dogs and other less-furry friends. 😉 

I did get to chat with my mom yesterday, and she sounded really good. Such a relief, and wonderful to hear her voice. Her moods fluctuate, but it's great to know that there is hope in her outlook and she's happy to be making progress in her recovery. 😊

Glad to hear that and that your bday was good. How many years old are you now?

9 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

LOL, yes, lots of busyness. I've always preferred a busy schedule, but I had some unexpected things pop up this spring that has made it more so. Fortunately, I am backing away from some work responsibilities over the next several months to bring a little more sanity into the mix.

I did get in some good, long, solid walks both yesterday and today, and I did some work for neck and shoulders and arms (weights and stretchy bands). The walking felt really, really good, so I am glad.

I'm glad work is going to be easing up. You've sounded really stressed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I got some decent sleep last night, boy was it needed. I also did some walking too. We've got a chance of thunderstorms all day (making it not advisable to be walking outside by all the trees!) but I'm hoping at some point it clears for a bit so I can get a walk. 

I made a huge dent on the laundry. I've got a load in the dryer now and I think only one more to go--- until I'm caught up for the weekend at least.

Rest day today so (hopefully) walking and light yoga

• Like 5

I did a gentle yoga this morning. There is some nice sun streaming in right now--rain is coming later, so I'll just enjoy this now. Such a wet April this year.

We're supposed to get our regular caregiver back Monday so I'll try to get back into my normal exercise routine. And no rain tomorrow, so maybe another Sunday walk.

The care situation we're looking at would be dd's home but we would hope to have her visit us on weekends and holidays. The foster family currently cares for 2 similar girls with seizures and wheelchairs. They have a heart for this work as they lost a daughter with similar conditions. So an awesome home set up already in place. One hold up is having enough care providers--their other adult daughter who has been helping them is wanting to move on with her life, and adding one more resident just means more help is needed. And that is just hard to find right now. And then there's just trying to do the transition well. We will meet with one of the other moms to ease any concerns. I'm hoping to time the transition for my summer break when I have time to help out and teach them about dd. 7 more weeks of school--each one hard it seems.

• Like 5

On 4/29/2022 at 7:40 AM, Soror said:

Big hugs to you through this difficult time. Glad you are able to fit in exercise for yourself. Carving out positive self care is extra challenging during emotionally draining times. 😪 

• Like 3

Dh and I are doing a little road trip to see a show and do some sightseeing.  It's been wonderful so far. I'm not checking texts, so pretty much off grid from the stress of daily life 😃

Dh and I will be doing a lot of walking today and tomorrow before we head home. Shopping is also on the agenda 😊

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

Moved two chests of drawers up and down stairs with Hobbes this afternoon,  then went for a five-mile walk to loosen up my back.

Ouch. Hope your back stays loose and painfree. It's great to have the youth around to help move furniture 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been MIA here this week, but I’ve been doing some combination of walking, yoga and rowing each day. Yesterday I walked 5 miles with a friend (and then enjoyed a much needed fancy coffee after) and today I did my first hike at a nearby state park. Hiking felt great but boy am I tired out! 😅

C52F40C6-84DC-47AC-9A6F-7BA9741AB4A6.jpeg

FC059875-A82C-466D-98DB-16410686FD09.jpeg

C82BA132-2BBC-4209-A51A-8A4F96632995.jpeg

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, wintermom said:

Ouch. Hope your back stays loose and painfree. It's great to have the youth around to help move furniture 😄

Feels okay this morning, so fingers crossed. I plan to start the day with gentle yoga, then walk on the beach with the dog before doing some planting in the garden. We had a frost this week but I'm hoping it's the last this year.

Hobbes is away for a month now, so there was some pressure to get a few things done.

Lovely pictures @MEmama

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2