Menu

Well-trained bodies - April

Laura Corin

8 hours ago, wintermom said:

I haven't had much time to walk today.  I'm trying to build in exercise as I take the stairs instead of the elevator and things like that. 

The hospital sucks up all my energy. Mom's doing well,  though.  

I'm glad she's doing well. Best wishes to you both.

Glorious weather today. I've done some yoga - probably could have done it on the lawn it's so warm - and am going for a beach walk with Hobbes.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, wintermom said:

I haven't had much time to walk today.  I'm trying to build in exercise as I take the stairs instead of the elevator and things like that. 

Glad to hear that your Mom is well. The stress is so draining, physically and mentally.

• Like 3

Busy weekend and Monday.

Did my strength training but not much else.

I think the slower days have been good for my hip. It is much improved and I can only barely feel it occasionally now. I was able to do my strength workout yesterday morning without pain. I did NOT use any weights (and will likely keep it that way for lower body for a good while). 

Today is upper body + walk (first one since the hip problem started)

I'm feeling very, very frumpy these days. I was in a dressing room yesterday. Sigh. What's with the lighting? Does anyone look good in a dressing room? My weight/size is close to where I'd like but body composition not so much. Growing muscles and getting lean is hard. Where are the muscles I've been trying so hard to build? Sigh.

So, trying to focus in on food intake and keeping on with solid workouts until vaca. Then I'll see where I end up. I do not like to stay in a deficit long term and that is around 6 weeks (and this is why getting lean is hard). Can I focus for 38 days? I don't know. Last vaca I actually lost weight (so busy didn't snack much and lots of activity). 

• Like 6

Sunday: up at 3 am so I only managed 25 minutes of rowing + week 7 yoga.

Monday: turns out pushing a grocery cart causes all kinds of abdominal discomfort (which I didn’t expect because rowing has felt so good), so I rested after a quick trip to Target and decided to skip my ab exercises. Took 2 nice walks and logged ~13,000 steps.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, wintermom said:

Glad to hear she is doing well. Finding time for self care is such a challenge in your situation— I hope you are at peace with fitting in whatever small amounts you can right now. ((Hugs))

• Like 3

I'm AWOL this week. Once again our caregiver is gone for the whole week--no explanation why. The agency tries to find subs but often fails--yesterday there was no one and dh worked from home. Today is someone we've never had. In any case, it means I devote 45 min to getting dd up and ready for her day so I lose my morning exercise time. I'm too exhausted and have too much to do at the end of the day. We'll see if I get anything in this week.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

My dog opted out of accompanying me on my evening walk yesterday, which meant I was free to range a little further afield and also move at my own, more consistent pace. I walked about 4.3K to top off my step goal for the day.

I forgot to turn on my alarm this morning, which resulted in the lovely combination of oversleeping while still (because I was awake until well after 1:00 AM) not getting enough rest. I kept the walk to 3K and then did a 22-minute seated upper body video. I have an assortment of meetings and commitments today, but I will try to figure out how to make up the steps/mileage.

Spring Start 2022 Challenge: 234.0 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 416 Days 

• Like 6

Thanks for all the kind words and support.  I got some good things accomplished today,  and mom continues to stabilize. It's going to be a slow process,  though. 

I'm meeting a good friend from university tonight. I haven't seen her in years,  so I am really excited đŸ˜†Â 

• Like 6

Crazy week. I am out of town unexpectedly for a few days. I did get in a short walk today and a long nap, which was desperately needed. Tomorrow my goal is to take a walk--it will be hard to fit it in as it will be a day with a ton of driving, but when there's lots of driving the walk is needed all the more. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, wintermom said:

I had a wonderful visit with my friend and her daughter. It's so good to see old friends - particularly in tough times. 

We got so much snow today. Driving was very slow getting home, and I didn't get outdoors for a walk. 

It is so nice that you got that in the midst of all the stress and dififculty you are going through right now.

• Like 3

I did get in a walk yesterday and so far my hip is doing fine this morning. Today is a hamstring day--- here's hoping I can modify enough that it don't bother me because every time I've aggravated it has been on hamstring day (because it is my hamstring tendon bothering me). Fingers crossed!!!!!

Today- 40-60 min hamstring focused (might add on some floor work)+ walk

Edited by Soror
  • Like 6

It took me two attempts last night to make my daily step goal. I went for a walk with the dog while the sweet potatoes baked for dinner, then ate dinner and headed back out on my own. It was definitely one of those days when getting the walking done felt like a chore. (That'll teach me to stint on the morning walk.)

Today is a better day, movement-wise, so far. I crashed relatively early for me and actually slept more than 7 hours for the first time in a few weeks. I got out of bed more or less when my alarm went off, which gave me time to walk my full 4K (half with and half without dog company) and still spend a good 30 minutes on the floor with my weights. The weather is nice, so I was able to do the strength and stretching outside and watch the clouds go by overhead.

Spring Start 2022 Challenge: 243.7 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 417 Days 

IMG_20220420_083629483_HDR.jpg

• Like 6

Weird travel day today. I had an extremely full schedule. Too full by far. I will be glad to get home tomorrow. I had hoped for a walk but the day passed in a blur, and I am also very, very short on sleep. Was up late accommodating a studying teenager. Today my only hope is for a better night's rest, and tomorrow I have a gyrotonics session late in the day after I get home. I am looking forward to it, then PT on Friday. The two combined should iron out some of the muscle tension that is building from travel.

• Like 5

Despite my optimism yesterday morning, it turned out to be another three-walk day. I'm not sure why it's requiring more intentional effort this week than it usually does to meet those step counts. I have been feeling a bit draggy and sore, so maybe I'm just not doing as much walking as I normally would during normal activities?

In any case, I am scheduled to walk a 5K with a group from work this evening, so I opted for a gentle, slow 3K this morning (followed by about 25 minutes of seated upper body work). My plan is to spend the morning working from home with my legs propped and possibly iced, then drive over to the office, where I can park and walk to the event site.

Fortunately, my slow ramble this morning was enough to bump me past the half-way point in my current walking challenge.

Spring Start 2022 Challenge: 251.8 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 418 Days 

Screenshot 2022-04-21 085336.jpg

• Like 5

Congratulations @Jenny in Florida

I went to do my sun salutations first thing but found myself doing a full sequence from habit, so just went with that. I'm off work this week so spent all morning forking over a bed then planting. 

We are going to a film this afternoon so I'll probably walk after supper. 

• Like 5

Drove home (was out of town) only to find that gyrotonics had to be canceled due to covid exposure. I should have gone for a walk down the lane but didn't think of it before it got dark. I've been really short on sleep all week, catching short naps here and there. The sleep issue was utterly beyond my control this week--I was out of town to help someone, and that meant late nights followed by getting up early to teach class as usual. The plan tonight is some gentle stretching and PT exercises to work out some of the driving kinks. I'm also going to take a half dose of my super-special magnesium mix both for the knotted muscles and also to hopefully get my first really deep sleep this week. Then tomorrow I'll go for a good walk first thing in the morning with more PT stuff afterwards.

• Like 4

After meeting a friend for coffee, I forgot to go for walks and do yoga yesterday afternoon, but I did get in 35 minutes on the rower in the morning. It feels so good to work up a sweat and rowing is making my body very happy. I’m concentrating on form and breath, drawing my pelvic floor muscles and abs in on each inhale and stroke. Without all that abdominal mass in the way I have much better body awareness and control than ever, and I’m using this healing period to intentionally work on training my muscles properly.

I'm planning to make an appointment soon with a DO to help sort out my preexisting hip issue. I’ve noticed since the surgery that my groin muscles are tighter than usual, especially in the same leg as the hip injury, leaving me convinced they are connected.

• Like 6

The lake looks lovely, @wintermom. I hope things are going well with your mom.

Glad you're continuing to heal and gain confidence, @MEmama.

Despite a lack of enthusiasm about the prospect, I did end up enjoying the 5K last night. (One way I knew I was not doing great emotionally yesterday was that I really didn't want to either go into the office or participate in the event.) The weather was lovely, and it was nice to hang out with co-workers socially before and after. (Plus, we had a duckling sighting.) I didn't break any personal records, but I did maintain my under-10-minutes-per-kilometer goal pace, despite a very crowded field with little space to distance from the crowd. So, I'm counting that as a win for the day.

Walked the usual 4K this morning and did about 30 minutes of strength and stretching on the patio. I have been feeling very stiff and sore this week, so I focused on just stretching -- no weights -- for the first few minutes. 

Spring Start 2022 Challenge: 262.3 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 419 Days 

IMG_20220421_200528575.jpg

• Like 6

Mom's doing well mentally,  though slow progress physically. I'm helping with the sale of her house and met with 2 realtors yesterday. I moved a carpet and a couple pieces of furniture on my own to make the house setup better. My back is stiff today. Getting old.Â đŸ˜„

• Like 5

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

Mom's doing well mentally,  though slow progress physically. I'm helping with the sale of her house and met with 2 realtors yesterday. I moved a carpet and a couple pieces of furniture on my own to make the house setup better. My back is stiff today. Getting old.Â đŸ˜„

I'm glad  she's doing well mentally. Where's she planning to move to?

• Like 2

I walked up Glen Tilt again today - 10 miles in sunshine. I've posted photos of the valley before, so I took buildings this time. Very little of the Highlands is pristine - almost all of it has been managed/farmed for at least hundreds of years.

20220422_164405.jpg

20220422_164718.jpg

20220422_144248.jpg

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I walked up Glen Tilt again today - 10 miles in sunshine. I've posted photos of the valley before, so I took buildings this time. Very little of the Highlands is pristine - almost all of it has been managed/farmed for at least hundreds of years.

20220422_164405.jpg

20220422_164718.jpg

20220422_144248.jpg

Gorgeous pics!

DS is going to be in Edinburgh in a couple days, meeting a high school friend who is in uni in Aberdeen (and maybe another friend at St Andrews). I’m jealous jealous jealous (and excited for him, ofc)! đŸ™‚Â 

• Like 4

It's Friday! YayÂ đŸ˜ƒÂ I've been at mom's for a week now. It just flew by. I'll go for another walk by the lake before bed.

Tomorrow a cousin I haven't seen in a very long time is coming to visit. I'm really looking forward to seeing her

20220422_192247.thumb.jpg.3787f14718a65b1dbc9d801101409c7e.jpg

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 6

I did a Yoga for Sensitive Knees today. I didn't even really exercise this week, but my right knee has been acting like a "trick knee". I thought at first that it was with a complete absence of pain that it just felt like it was going to buckle sometimes. Now I think there is a bit of pain on the inner side more with sideways motion. I'm fine standing or straight-forward walking. I think I need to find some knee-strengthening exercises. We had our regular caregiver for a couple of days but she'll be out Monday and Tuesday (death in the family), so I won't be able to exercise in the morning. I'm not so swamped with work this weekend, so I should probably take advantage of clear skies and get out there for a walk or something.

Thanks for all of the beautiful pics.

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 5

It required another longer-than-I-really-want-to-do-at-that-point-in-the-evening walk last night to get to my step goal, but I did it. (It also required the rest of the evening on the couch with my knees elevated and iced once I got home.) I am not sure what I'm doing differently these days that keeps leaving me with that many steps to do at the end of each day, but I need to figure out some way to change whatever it is.

Walked a couple of kilometers with the dog this morning, then packed up and headed for the nature preserve for Yoga at the Lake class. The boardwalk is about 2/3 mile long, so walking to and from class topped of my 4K morning walking goal, and the 30 minutes of yoga is my "other exercise" for today. 

Plus, it's just gorgeous out there today. So many creatures of various types chattering away, and a zebra longwing butterfly followed me most of the way back up the boardwalk to my car.

Spring Start 2022 Challenge: 271.0 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 420 Days 

IMG_20220423_100346076_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220423_100617061_HDR.jpg

• Like 6

I loved reading all the updates and seeing everyone's pictures. No time to reply much today. I've got lots of work around here to get caught up on and nice weather to get it done.

Today: am 2+ mile walk and some easy stretching later-- I'm trying to stay on top of keeping everything stretched out, especially my hip which wants to stay tight

Yesterday was full body weights and easy walk in the park

Hip has tolerated exercise just fine this week. I'm not pushing weights on lower body at all but added some on a few exercises. So far, so good.

• Like 6

Yesterday:

7,646 steps + 30 minutes rowing + week 8 yoga

I intended to go on a second walk but needed to rest a bit, only to wake up 2 hours (!) later with a cat snuggled on top of me, basking blissfully in the sun. đŸ˜» I realized it’s the first nap I’ve needed all week, a big change over previous weeks. 

• Like 5

Managed some extra incidental walking yesterday so that I needed only about 3K last night to meet my step goal. 

Today is a weird day. My husband headed out on a work trip and had to be at the airport at 5:00 this morning. I go up at 3:45 and took the dog out for a short walk (1K) while he got himself together. After I dropped him at the airport, I took the dog out again for another 1K before crashing on the couch for a little while. Then we went out one more time for a longer walk (2.75K), which puts me over my 4K morning goal. 

Unclear what the rest of the day holds, beyond some grocery shopping and, of course, another walk this evening.

Spring Start 2022 Challenge: 279.0 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 421 Days 

• Like 5

Took dd out for a walk on a paved path on a gorgeous sunny 70° day--rain and 50's the whole coming week here. Can't quite compare to Scotland! We went a mile out and then turned around, but there are some uphill stretches and I was pushing a good 150 lbs the whole way. Sunday is usually a rest day, but this is my exercise for tomorrow morning as I'll have to get dd up and ready in the morning.

walk.jpg

• Like 6

8,428 steps + 30 minute row + week 8 yoga

Finishing this week feeling strong. Mostly I’m bursting with energy, but I do still crash now and again and need a rest or nap, and I’m going to bed early (even for me). It’s getting easier to imagine cycling and kayaking this summer, and trusting that my body will be strong and healed enough by then. I’m hoping to get out hiking next weekend.

• Like 6

@Ali in OR Looks like a lovely walk!

"Grocery shopping" yesterday turned into a three-store extravaganza, so between that and the morning walk(s) and some incidentals around the house in the afternoon, I needed fewer steps by the time the evening walk rolled around to meet my goal. The dog and I walked about 3K, which was plenty.

Sleep was not my friend last night, and I woke up already fighting off a bad headache, but I made it outside for the usual 4K and then did a 20-minute seated upper body workout. 

More walking to do throughout the remainder of the day/evening to make my step goal.

Spring Start 2022 Challenge: 285.9 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 422 Days 

• Like 6

Rather a stressful first day back at work, but it should be better in a few days.

Pj sun salutations first thing, then a walk after work and 15 minutes of rowing. I started feeling a twinge in my lower back after rowing,  which I've never felt before. I'll take it easy tomorrow.  I suspect that I was tense from work and that twisted my back somehow.

• Like 5

I'm back home again. Had a great weekend with my mom, sister and brother. Mom's still in the hospital, and will be for another couple weeks recovering from a broken hip. 

Among sad situations, there are sometimes also some bizarre occurrances that just make you laugh. My brother drove his VW '78 Westfalia down to visit mom, and the clutch broke. I had to tow him in my car a couple dozen miles on back roads in the country to get it to mom's driveway. That was an adventure I hadn't anticipated.Â đŸ¤£Â Here's "Sage" safe and sound in the driveway.

20220424_180151.jpg

• Like 5

Well this just sucks. Mom tested positive for Covid this morning. She's all alone at the hospital now, probably can't have visitors even if I was still there. Please remember her in your thoughts and/or prayers. Poor mom. It's been a very rough few months here.

I'm still testing negative with the rapid tests, and I have no symptoms. Knock on wood!

• Sad 4

Only slept a few hours last night - I have a difficult meeting to deal with this afternoon and it got in the way of sleep.  On the bright side, I had finished my sun salutations and walk, and had swept and mopped the kitchen, utility room and sunroom by 7.30 this morning.  I won't do much more exercise today - my back feels okay after yesterday's twinge, but I don't want to push it.

I just bought tuna steak off the fish van, and plan to serve it seared with a caramelised onion and mushroom sauce - I find tuna a bit dry without some help.

• Like 4

@wintermom I'm sorry your mom is testing positive. That has to be scary and worrisome for all of you. I'm hoping very hard for you that she recovers quickly and that the rest of you stay well!

Also, though . . . That Westfalia! We had one of those, in orange, when I was a kid, and it was one of my favorite vehicles ever. When I got my driver's license, that was the vehicle on which I learned to drive a stick. I honestly am not nostalgic about the vast majority of my childhood, but that van is one of the things. 

@Laura Corin Work-related stress is no fun. It's been a tense couple of weeks at work for me, too, and I know how that feeling can throw off your days (and nights). I am sending calming vibes your way and hoping the back and the work situation improve soon.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sigh.

I just don't want to today. I don't want to exercise (although I did). I don't want to work. I don't want to think about feeding myself. I'm just tired and cranky, and having six -- six -- of my neighbors whiz past me while I was in the crosswalk with the light this morning didn't help one tiny bit. Nor did being in the middle while the dog went after our cat for committing the unimaginable crime of attempting to cross the patio and enter the house.

That said, I did get my steps yesterday and walked my usual 4K this morning. I also spent about 25 minutes outside on the mat doing a strength and stretching set.

I'll probably walk some more later.

Spring Start 2022 Challenge: 295.1 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 423 Days 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Sigh.

I just don't want to today. I don't want to exercise (although I did). I don't want to work. I don't want to think about feeding myself. I'm just tired and cranky, and having six -- six -- of my neighbors whiz past me while I was in the crosswalk with the light this morning didn't help one tiny bit. Nor did being in the middle while the dog went after our cat for committing the unimaginable crime of attempting to cross the patio and enter the house.

That said, I did get my steps yesterday and walked my usual 4K this morning. I also spent about 25 minutes outside on the mat doing a strength and stretching set.

I'll probably walk some more later.

Spring Start 2022 Challenge: 295.1 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 423 Days 

Yup, I'm right there with you in not wanting to work or walk. Eating chocolate is going fine, though. đŸ˜‰Â  I hope you feel a little better as the day goes on.

Re: Westfalias - I really want one! I've been camping with my brother in Sage, and it was amazing. It's a bit loud on the highway, but who cares. The steering wheel is like one on a bus, and loads of people wave at the 'hippy van' as we drive by. No one waved at us during the towing process this time, though. Come on, people, it's a living piece of history and we all break down with age.Â đŸ¤£

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

@Jenny in Florida @Soror and @wintermom thinking of you. @MEmama I'm glad your recovery is going so well.  @Ali in OR pushing the chair must be really hard exercise.  @Harriet Vane your cooling temperatures are probably our mid-summer ones - I was wishing for gloves during my early morning walk yesterday.

I am having to monitor an interminable online meeting this morning.  I have done some weights work, just with 4 lb weights as I'm still babying my back - it feels fine but I don't want to push it.  In a second I'll do a couple of sun salutations, then try to get out to walk after the meeting.

• Like 4