Menu

Well-trained bodies - April

Laura Corin

Happy April! 

I had lots of weird zaps and discomforts today, so I took it easy again. I did enjoy doing a 20 minute yoga video and actually ventured out of the house on a quick trip to Target. I’m feeling really anxious to work more movement in to my days; I don’t understand why I could do more at 2 weeks post op than almost 5. I know it’s not uncommon but it’s frustrating anyway. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, wintermom said:

The weather today was a comlete mixed bag of rain, snow, sun, sun and cold. All 4 seasons in one day. Very weird. 

We've had those days lately too.

Today we are going for a short woodland walk to forage for wild garlic leaves. I've done my pj sun salutations. Running around doing Mum stuff today, so that will be it for exercise. 

• Like 7

I had booked time off from work for yesterday a few months ago when I decided to try doing the 5K and 10K walks so close together. As it turned out, I did end up logging in for a few hours, just because we were still trying to drag that project over the finish line, but I was able to free up most of the afternoon to go to the art museum with my husband. Then he headed off to meet up with his gaming group, and I came home and took a stroll around the neighborhood to finish off the day's step count. 

Headed out this morning for my first official 10K, which I was kind of nervous about, given the issues I've had with my knee(s) and the effect that and the work chaos had on my best intentions to actually prep for the event. As it turned out, though, I finished the course and maintained my usual pace, so I feel pretty good about it. 

No additional exercise today, because I'm fairly fried and my husband and I are heading out soon to explore a community event. If I can scrounge up the motivation, I may do a make-up something tomorrow morning. 

Already met my step and mileage goals for the day, but I may take a walk this evening, just to get the dog outside.

Spring Start 2022 Challenge: 105.8 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 399 Days

IMG_20220402_074308437_HDR.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like a wonderful morning @Jenny in Florida!

I searched for a stretch yoga today. I pictured it being a floor type session but it was standing. Hoping it helped my poor stiff body. I need to have a bit of downtime this weekend, balanced of course with catching up on home chores and doing a little prep work to make the school week a little easier.

• Like 6

Hello lovely ladies!

I ended up taking 1 full week off in March (just light yoga and walking). Then did 1 week with just 3 easier workouts and then onto a regular 5 day a week program. AFter doing that lighter week I was ready to jump back in, although I'd thought I'd continue with a shorter/easier program. 

I'm still not consistent on walking or yoga. Sleep has been off/on- I think a mix of hormones (because it varies by time in my cycle) and stressors (which vary too). I'd like to make some goals here but I keep failing them so IDK. 

Aiming to lose another pound this month-- slowly chipping away at the fall/thyoid med fluctuation weight gain. 

Friday was---- Full Body Strength; Saturday--Rest day-- but plenty of walking on campus tour with ds; Sunday--- 30ish min cardio w/ dh--- light gardening/yard work

• Like 7

@Jenny in Florida Congrats on your 10k! 🥇👑💪

After taking it easy for +/- a couple weeks I felt up for taking 2 good walks yesterday and logged ~10,000 steps. I'm not sore this morning and don’t seem to have overdone it so I’m hoping I’m on the other side of that weird setback and can resume an appropriately moderate amount of activity as I head into week 6 post-op. 🤞

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

I'm about to do some yoga. Then today will be lots of packing and moving for Mum. I hope to get a walk in later.

Good luck getting your mother moved and settled in. I hope she’s taking it well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

Good luck getting your mother moved and settled in. I hope she’s taking it well.

Thanks. She's very enthusiastic.  I'm rather amazed.

Today is just shifting stuff. She moves on Wednesday.  Pausing so that she has peace to eat lunch and nap, so we will walk the dog. We'll go back to shift the next piece this afternoon. 

• Like 5

Did not end up going for an evening walk last night, because it was storming most of the afternoon and night. However, between the morning 10K and the wandering at the community festival, I ended the day 12,000 steps over my daily goal, so I'm giving myself a pass.

Walked the usual 4K this morning, although a little slowly. I'm feeling kind of stiff and my knee is twingy, and I'm planning not to push it today. I did do a floor-based strength and stretching session -- emphasis on stretching -- to make up for skipping yesterday.

Nothing interesting planned for the remainder of the day. I am behind on my Coursera class and should do a little catching up there. Plus my husband and I keep looking at each other and saying, "We really need to do our taxes." At some point, weather permitting, I'll take another walk.

Spring Start 2022 Challenge: 109.8 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 400 Days

• Like 7

6,318 steps + week 5 yoga

I ventured out to Whole Foods and Trader Joes this morning, the first time I’ve been inside any grocery store since January. It’s a bit of a drive to get there, plus all the time standing up (I didn’t push the cart or carry any groceries—DH did the labor while I just pointed at stuff lol), so all told it was quite a bit of activity— by far the most I’ve done since the surgery. Still, I was able to take a nice walk and do yoga this afternoon, and I feel fine tonight. Fingers crossed I don’t pay for it tomorrow!🤞

• Like 7

@Jenny in Florida Love the medal! I'm glad you are able to get walking even with some knee issues.

@Laura Corin So glad your mum is cooperating. I hope and pray the transition goes smoothly.

We just finished rehabbing our basement on Friday, so Saturday was the day to start putting stuff back in there. Sooooo many trips up and down the stairs, and I helped dh move some furniture and boxes as well.

Rest day today. The weather is cold and I am exhausted from yesterday's effort.

Remember my angst from a little while ago about my trainer leaving the gym? I had some ups and downs with this. First she was leaving. Then they worked it out for her to stay as an independent contractor. Now she's leaving after all. Ugh. And because of that stupid non-compete clause in her contract I am stuck. She asked me not to raise a ruckus, so I won't. I have agreed to meet with a different trainer--I've chatted with her over the years and like her, and I've seen her working with other clients, so I'm sure it will all be fine. I've been super syrupy sweet to everyone. But I don't want to have to break in a whole new person. I want to work with the trainer I have years of relationship with. My first session with the new trainer tomorrow.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I went for a really nice walk in the woods yesterday and encountered a great horned owl hooting away. I thought it was a dog barking as first. Very cool to experience! I took some video and a couple photos, but i needed a telephoto lens to do the owl justice. It looks like a little grey blob in the tree in my photos. 😉 

Today I helped out at the community theatre striking down the set from ds's play. It's sad to see it end, but it was a great experience for ds. Now he'll have more time and energy to focus on his volleyball. I also played some backyard volleyball with ds. No wonder I'm so tired. 

• Like 7

@Jenny in Florida Congratulations on your 10k, that is a wonderful accomplishment.

@MEmamafingers crossed you feel good today.

@Harriet Vane that really stinks about the trainer. So she not working at all anymore? I don't understand how a non-compete is legal when it forbids someone from working their livelihood. I remember reading something about yoga studios doing that, it is a racket.

@Laura Corin glad to hear your mom is taking the move well.

@wintermomit is bittersweet to see things come to an end. 

--------------------

2 nights in a row of not sleeping well after a pretty good week of sleep. It is so annoying. Hoping for a nap in a bit but being productive and getting some paperwork done in the meantime.

I made good progress on the yard yesterday. I did the first mow of the season--- the grass on the side yard was already rather tall and mulched and raked some leaves. 

And I'm so very excited because my workout guru's new program is exclusively focused on weight lifting (instead of 4 days lifting/1 HIIT), is shorter -- about 45 min with warm-up and cool-down, and only 6 weeks --- so I'll finish it before vaca. YAAA! In case anyone is looking for something to do.... Caroline Girvan's Iron Series --- free on YouTube.

Mon- Lower Body; Tues- Upper Body; Wednesday- Lower Body; Fri- Full Body; Sun- Upper Body+Core

And a set schedule each week--- today will be lower body.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Took a walk with my husband and the dog last night. My husband broke off and headed home after just a couple of kilometers, but the dog and I continued until I met my step goal for the day. (Then headed home myself to an evening of streaming TV and icing my knees.)

Saw some pretty views as I walked the usual 4K around the neighborhood this morning, then logged into work for a while before taking a break to do the library's virtual yoga class. 

Spring Start 2022 Challenge: 117.2 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 401 Days

IMG_20220404_072921211_HDR.jpg

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Soror said:

@Jenny in Florida Congratulations on your 10k, that is a wonderful accomplishment.

@MEmamafingers crossed you feel good today.

@Harriet Vane that really stinks about the trainer. So she not working at all anymore? I don't understand how a non-compete is legal when it forbids someone from working their livelihood. I remember reading something about yoga studios doing that, it is a racket.

@Laura Corin glad to hear your mom is taking the move well.

@wintermomit is bittersweet to see things come to an end. 

Very well stated! I'm quoting to avoid having to type out exactly the same things. You are such a great cheerleader for us all here. 😁

@Soror So glad your sleep has been good! This must feel so nice. Great job on the gardening and other physical activity! 

@Jenny in Florida Gorgeous photo!! Thanks for sharing and great job on the long walk!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm supposed to be transcribing and coding focus group interviews, but I'm avoiding it all and 'playing' here. 😄 I'm doing some gardening and running the puppy in the backyard now that the sun is out and the weather is nicer. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I danced. Feeling much better than last month. Hoping to finish my country dance workout this month and move on to my hip hop one.

Scaling back on carbs to help lose weight. Trying a keto friendly coffee creamer called nut pods, but I'm not on keto.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Soror said:

--

It IS a racket. This happens to lots of low-income folks like folks who cut hair or massage therapists or nail techs.

They basically forbid the exiting professional to advertise their services doing the same type of work. The idea is to not siphon off gym customers, but in practice regular people are constrained from getting another job for months. They do often migrate to another studio or gym or whatever, but often will actually refuse to see former clients because they are afraid they will be sued. I do not think it can possibly be legal as it forbids someone from using their own talents and abilities and impacts their livelihood.

So my trainer is working now for a different gym that is specialized for one, specific, niche thing, and she is continuing to work as a physical therapist assistant. I found the specialized facility online and have signed up for the specialized thing once a week. I am not saying a word to anyone at the original gym because I do not want my awesome trainer getting into trouble. In six months I will likely shift over to having my trainer back in my life as usual doing all the things.

The new trainer today was fine, of course. I have nothing against her. It's just that I have a lot of issues, but I really like to work hard. The trainer I have worked with the last few years understands the issues (she's so smart!!!) as well as my desire not to be coddled. It's been one of the most empowering relationships of my life--she has systematically restored me to true strength and balance despite my ever-shifting joints (due to EDS). She has been incredibly creative in working around my shifty joints and especially my weak hands and wrists. When I first started with her, I was having significant trouble with balance and walking, and I could hardly use my hands. Constant pain. This was due to a fatal combination of EDS and the after-effects of severe sepsis. I wore braces on my hands, and in order to help me work larger muscles we used thick J-rings and D-rings to hook me up to various weights, straps, or equipment. So creative, and so can-do. Giving up gluten and dairy helped with a lot of the joint pain, and exercising restored my balance and walking and brought the most significant reduction in pain I have had in many, many years. This trainer gave me my life back. So yeah, I'm attached. I trust her and I don't want to deal with anyone less savvy or less creative than her.

I went and met with the new trainer today. As I said, I have nothing against her. She was perfectly nice, and she wants very much to be helpful. We had some healthy back-and-forth where she would get me started on an exercise, I would show her how my joints behave and then show her how to modify to prevent the shifting. I think she was genuinely interested. One wonderfully affirming thing was her continual surprise throughout the session at how much weight I can lift. She said some really nice things at the end about how strong I am--that was nice to hear, especially because I often feel kinda grim about my squishy, middle-aged body.

• Like 6

5,853 steps + week 6 yoga

The yoga series I’m doing is specifically geared toward abdominal surgery recovery and I’ve been enjoying the way the instructor gently ramps up moves each week. Most of the moves are subtle, in order to regain pelvic floor and deep abdominal strength without risk of injury.

Today I started week 6 and it was noticeably *more*; my abs definitely felt used. I think I’ll plan to go back to week 5 tomorrow for a small break and then resume this week's video the following day. My natural inclination is to push through, but I know that isn’t the right approach during recovery.

I thought I’d have considerably more steps in today, because I guess I puttered around the house more than I have been. Even though I only took one walk it was a more active day in general. Definitely feeling it tonight. 

• Like 7

I did 30 min on the treadmill this morning. I'm taking care of a lot of health appointments--was hoping they would land during spring break but it seems everyone takes spring break off so they're all falling now. Passed the mammogram, entering menopause, dd's teeth are clean--that was all last week. Tomorrow I have the fasting blood draw to see how the cholesterol is doing and then I get my teeth cleaned in the afternoon. The eye appointment got moved to May since I managed to schedule it for the same time as the mammogram. I will skip early exercise tomorrow to make it to the lab when they open so I can get that done before school.

• Like 7

I did manage to get in a couple of short walks yesterday. I'll try for some more today, or possibly even my first paddle of the season!!

My sleep seems to be improving, which makes life so much easier to tackle. I hope those of you still suffering with lack of sleep get some relief soon. 

• Like 7

Took a good 4.2K after work last night. After the nasty, stormy weekend, the weather here has been really nice the last couple of days, which encourages me to get outside with less grumbling.

Walked my usual 4K this morning, then spent about 25 minutes on the floor with the weights and doing some stretching. (There was a new Maintenance Phase podcast available, which I save for exercise time.) 

Spring Start 2022 Challenge: 125.5 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 402 Days

• Like 7

No exercise today since I got my labwork done this morning before school. Just checked email and my results are in. I try to get cholesterol checked every year because it and my triglycerides are usually high. Really high last year (280 and 210--ugh). It's not like I ate a ton of red meat, but I have reduced it to almost none. Still watch my saturated fat. I am particularly healthy during Lent--no sugar, weight is down a couple of pounds. And this year--my cardiac risk is down to low normal! Cholesterol is still high at 243 but the good HDL is really high and my doctor was explaining that that drives up the overall number. My LDL is still too high, but down from 180 t0 149. And I've never seen triglycerides this low--120! Down from 210. I should just stay off the sugar year round. That's so hard, but I'm encouraged to to try to at least keep it low. Teeth are now clean too--that's it for health updates for awhile.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Did some basic PT stretching today. I kept meaning to get out and walk today and never quite made it out. There was rain when I was ready, and then I never followed through. Ah well. Tomorrow I am hoping to hyper-focus on sorting and moving back into our rehabbed basement. Lots of rain expected tomorrow, so I will plan for a recycled workout tomorrow. I have notes from past workouts--I'll just recycle one along with PT.

• Like 7

Yesterday I clocked in well over 9,000 steps (2 nice walks) + week 6 yoga (forgot to downgrade to week 5 and it was fine, yay!) + I went out shopping for another pair of lounge pants. And I managed to do a few light things around the house—hanging laundry (no basket or stairs) and making breakfast and so on. It felt so good to be helpful. My body was tired last night but not sore, and so far I feel fine this morning. Woot! 

• Like 7

I did get out for a solo kayak yesterday after work. I'm in my new "Costco" kayak. It's much lighter than my red one, a little shorter, and I can slide it into the the van - so no trailer needed. It was really fun to get out on the water! After bringing my boat back to the van, there were 3 people in the parking lot with the exact same kayak. 😅

IMG_20220405_164149170.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 4/4/2022 at 4:35 PM, Harriet Vane said:

It IS a racket. This happens to lots of low-income folks like folks who cut hair or massage therapists or nail techs.

They basically forbid the exiting professional to advertise their services doing the same type of work. The idea is to not siphon off gym customers, but in practice regular people are constrained from getting another job for months. They do often migrate to another studio or gym or whatever, but often will actually refuse to see former clients because they are afraid they will be sued. I do not think it can possibly be legal as it forbids someone from using their own talents and abilities and impacts their livelihood.

So my trainer is working now for a different gym that is specialized for one, specific, niche thing, and she is continuing to work as a physical therapist assistant. I found the specialized facility online and have signed up for the specialized thing once a week. I am not saying a word to anyone at the original gym because I do not want my awesome trainer getting into trouble. In six months I will likely shift over to having my trainer back in my life as usual doing all the things.

The new trainer today was fine, of course. I have nothing against her. It's just that I have a lot of issues, but I really like to work hard. The trainer I have worked with the last few years understands the issues (she's so smart!!!) as well as my desire not to be coddled. It's been one of the most empowering relationships of my life--she has systematically restored me to true strength and balance despite my ever-shifting joints (due to EDS). She has been incredibly creative in working around my shifty joints and especially my weak hands and wrists. When I first started with her, I was having significant trouble with balance and walking, and I could hardly use my hands. Constant pain. This was due to a fatal combination of EDS and the after-effects of severe sepsis. I wore braces on my hands, and in order to help me work larger muscles we used thick J-rings and D-rings to hook me up to various weights, straps, or equipment. So creative, and so can-do. Giving up gluten and dairy helped with a lot of the joint pain, and exercising restored my balance and walking and brought the most significant reduction in pain I have had in many, many years. This trainer gave me my life back. So yeah, I'm attached. I trust her and I don't want to deal with anyone less savvy or less creative than her.

I went and met with the new trainer today. As I said, I have nothing against her. She was perfectly nice, and she wants very much to be helpful. We had some healthy back-and-forth where she would get me started on an exercise, I would show her how my joints behave and then show her how to modify to prevent the shifting. I think she was genuinely interested. One wonderfully affirming thing was her continual surprise throughout the session at how much weight I can lift. She said some really nice things at the end about how strong I am--that was nice to hear, especially because I often feel kinda grim about my squishy, middle-aged body.

That sounds promising with the new trainer. If you can't keep the old one I hope this one turns out ok, at least until you can see the other one again.

On 4/4/2022 at 2:33 PM, Laura Corin said:

Still sleeping poorly. The poor dog got brushed at 7am. 

Walked at lunchtime.  Lifted weights during a meeting.  I'm about to do bedtime yoga.

I'm with you on not sleeping well right now. Stupid hormones.

3 hours ago, MEmama said:

Yesterday I clocked in well over 9,000 steps (2 nice walks) + week 6 yoga (forgot to downgrade to week 5 and it was fine, yay!) + I went out shopping for another pair of lounge pants. And I managed to do a few light things around the house—hanging laundry (no basket or stairs) and making breakfast and so on. It felt so good to be helpful. My body was tired last night but not sore, and so far I feel fine this morning. Woot! 

Progress! It is so hard knowing how much to push oneself. It is inevitable to have those ups and downs. YOu are handling it beautifully.

2 hours ago, wintermom said:

I did get out for a solo kayak yesterday after work. I'm in my new "Costco" kayak. It's much lighter than my red one, a little shorter, and I can slide it into the the van - so no trailer needed. It was really fun to get out on the water! After bringing my boat back to the van, there were 3 people in the parking lot with the exact same kayak. 😅

Nice! I wish we could fit ours-- they aren't super heavy but only either fit in the back of the truck or on top of the van which is very hard for me to do being short.

11 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

No exercise today since I got my labwork done this morning before school. Just checked email and my results are in. I try to get cholesterol checked every year because it and my triglycerides are usually high. Really high last year (280 and 210--ugh). It's not like I ate a ton of red meat, but I have reduced it to almost none. Still watch my saturated fat. I am particularly healthy during Lent--no sugar, weight is down a couple of pounds. And this year--my cardiac risk is down to low normal! Cholesterol is still high at 243 but the good HDL is really high and my doctor was explaining that that drives up the overall number. My LDL is still too high, but down from 180 t0 149. And I've never seen triglycerides this low--120! Down from 210. I should just stay off the sugar year round. That's so hard, but I'm encouraged to to try to at least keep it low. Teeth are now clean too--that's it for health updates for awhile.

Congrats on the health improvements. It can be so hard sometimes to see those things day to day, to have proof of that progress is very motivating.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Monday was lower body- quad focused; Tuesday- upper body-chest focused+ 30 min walk; 

Today- lower body hamstring and glute focused

Workouts have been about 40-45 minutes, right at 30 minutes of the actual lifting. It is very solid hypertrophy focused workouts. I'm aiming to increase weights for some things but more intent on going slow with control. My right glute has been annoying me off/on for a bit so I'll not be pushing it so hard today. My chest is sore from yesterday's session. I finished with a 5 min pushup workout (NOT 5 minutes straight- sets and breaks during that). 

• Like 6

@wintermom That looks like a lovely way to spend a day!

Nothing interesting here. My entire body felt sore and just gross yesterday, so I broke my steps into two shorter walks, one with and one without dog. 

Walked the usual 4K this morning and did a 20-minute seated upper body workout video.

I'm in an online conference most of today and tomorrow, so there will be a lot of sitting in front of the computer. I will definitely need a good, solid walk later.

Spring Start 2022 Challenge: 133.4 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 403 Days

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

@wintermom That looks like a lovely way to spend a day!

I wish it was the entire day! It was only a short paddle of about 30 min after work. I didn't have time or river to paddle on. There were logs and debreis blocking the river so I was limited in how far I could go.

• Like 3

Yesterday was active—not a huge step count but active nonetheless.

Walked to the grocery (didn’t carry anything home), did week 6 yoga, and managed to do dishes, clean the kitchen and help make dinner. Bending down is still difficult so loading the dishwasher wasn’t the best decision, but it felt so good to be useful and I’m looking forward to the slow return to normalacy. 

• Like 6

My hamstring is bothering me again. Too much sitting (sleep wonky this week) and tough workout yesterday. I've tried to balance backing up with making progress but I think I might need to do bodyweight workouts for glutes for a bit. I've also got to get sleep, so I'm not so tired, easier said than done. I'm going to start wearing my watch again and upping my steps.

Got in some walking in the woods yesterday-- not the best area as there were so many thorn bushes my legs are sliced up now. Ticks are also out so walking is better done on non-wooded trails now. 

• Like 6

As it turned out, the dog dragged me (barefoot) around the block a couple of times when I took her out yesterday on a break between conference sessions. Then we took a longer (3.7K) walk after dinner. I have to say that having it be light longer into the evening is a nice incentive to get outside. Seeing and hearing kids outside playing and feeling that late afternoon sun makes it feel so different from walking in the dark (which I also like, but the change of pace is nice).

Work-related scheduling meant I had to cut this morning's walk a little short, 3.4K. I did do a full set of floor-based strength and stretching, though. 

I sent an email this morning to a group that is hosting a running/walking club at a local restaurant. In theory, they have a coach who is dedicated to working with walkers, so I'm curious to see if that would be helpful and/or fun for me. They meet twice a week, including Thursday evenings. I may try visiting tonight. 

Spring Start 2022 Challenge: 140.5 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 404 Days

• Like 7

Super jealous of the kayak! Congratulations!

I wanted to go low carb so I bought some low carb things and accidentally went keto but I'm losing weight so now I'm purposefully doing keto. All I really did was change my coffee creamer and not buy chocolate. I'm using the app Carb Manager and having fathead bread on our family fun night which will be burgers this week. Three pounds down.

Not enough steps lately. Averaging about 2.5K.

Twenty hour fast today.

I danced. Only the second time this week. I need one more.

• Like 6

I was feeling a bit tender (and hormonal weepy) yesterday so I backed off extra activity and mostly rested. I did take one nice walk, but opted to skip yoga. So far I'm feeling stronger today and am looking forward to more movement. 

• Like 4