Menu

Well-trained bodies - April

Laura Corin

22 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

@wintermom I'm sorry your friend is moving away. That can be tough, especially when the news comes at you without warning.

@Soror I hope the hamstring and sleep issues resolve soon. 

Thank you!

On 4/6/2022 at 7:16 PM, wintermom said:

I went for a really nice walk with friends this afternoon. Sadly, I learned that one friend is moving. Not sure how far away, but it was a big surprise. I wasn't expecting it at all. 😒

Man, that stinks 😞

22 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

As it turned out, the dog dragged me (barefoot) around the block a couple of times when I took her out yesterday on a break between conference sessions. Then we took a longer (3.7K) walk after dinner. I have to say that having it be light longer into the evening is a nice incentive to get outside. Seeing and hearing kids outside playing and feeling that late afternoon sun makes it feel so different from walking in the dark (which I also like, but the change of pace is nice).

Work-related scheduling meant I had to cut this morning's walk a little short, 3.4K. I did do a full set of floor-based strength and stretching, though. 

I sent an email this morning to a group that is hosting a running/walking club at a local restaurant. In theory, they have a coach who is dedicated to working with walkers, so I'm curious to see if that would be helpful and/or fun for me. They meet twice a week, including Thursday evenings. I may try visiting tonight. 

Spring Start 2022 Challenge: 140.5 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 404 Days

Did you visit the walk/run club?

15 hours ago, Slache said:

Super jealous of the kayak! Congratulations!

I wanted to go low carb so I bought some low carb things and accidentally went keto but I'm losing weight so now I'm purposefully doing keto. All I really did was change my coffee creamer and not buy chocolate. I'm using the app Carb Manager and having fathead bread on our family fun night which will be burgers this week. Three pounds down.

Not enough steps lately. Averaging about 2.5K.

Twenty hour fast today.

I danced. Only the second time this week. I need one more.

How did the fast go?

12 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

I tried a whole new thing today. It's called gyrotonics. It's really weird! But it also felt like it was doing good things for my back and for some tight, locked-down spots that need to loosen up. Onward and upward.

Hmmm. sounds familiar.. 

6 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I was feeling a bit tender (and hormonal weepy) yesterday so I backed off extra activity and mostly rested. I did take one nice walk, but opted to skip yoga. So far I'm feeling stronger today and am looking forward to more movement. 

Hoping it is a better day today. It's wonderful that you are listening to your body.

• Like 3

2- 30ish minute walks yesterday-- 11k steps-- a bit of light yoga (rest day)

Today- full body strength training (40ish minutes total-- might add a short core workout)- will be taking it easy on weights for lower body-- hip felt much better after walking but it is bothering me some this am-- so if I take it easy on it today I won't have lower body strength until Monday.

Planning more walking today--- I need to walk every day. Curious to see if it affects my sleep. Last night I slept great but there are so many factors. I also ate more than usual and I know that reduced intake messes with my sleep and I've been trying to keep intake a bit down to lose a bit of weight.

• Like 6

I got to play doubles tennis with a great group of ladies yesterday! It was so much fun. My league partner invited me to spare for someone, and I'm so thankful she did. I haven't had this much fun playing ladies tennis in a long time. ☺️

I woke up to snow this morning. Not something I was welcoming with open arms, but I'm not surprised either. We often get snow in April, and the odd time in May. It reminds my why the May 24 weekend is traditional planting day in most parts of Canada. 😅

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Soror said:

Did you visit the walk/run club?

I didn't make it to the run club last night, because I ended up needing to work late. I'll try again on Tuesday.

I did go out for a nice, long (5K) walk sans dog (who was unenthusiastic about tromping around in the iffy weather).

Met my 4K goal this morning and then did one of the 20-minute seated upper body videos. 

Spring Start 2022 Challenge: 149.5 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 405 Days

• Like 5

Sunshine with a chilly wind today.  I slept well last night - Mum is doing okay at her new care home, I think. 

I had a nice walk with a friend at lunchtime.  I'll try to fit in a quick yoga session before seeing Mum again and then going to a concert.

• Like 7

I went for a very nice 1 hr walk with a friend in the neighbourhood. The sun even poked out for a while! Most of the snow has melted, too. It's wonderful to see the sun again. I'm re-thinking wanting to live on the west coast where they have many rainy and/or overcast days. 

• Like 7

I only took one walk because it poured all morning, but I was more active around the house today and I even convinced DH to let me make dinner (salmon, roasted sweet potatoes and pan fried sesame snap peas, very simple). It felt sooo good to do something normal. I know I’ll have to continue to take it easy for awhile, but I’m excited to be in a new phase of recovery. 

• Like 7

Headachy and my neck/shoulders are killing me. I had a heavier workout on Monday that left me sore all week--I have been putting cream on one particular spot all week. I don't think gyrotonics did anything to make it worse--if anything I think I got some relief from it. This morning I was with the PT for a MAT adjustment, so I am wondering if her releasing certain tension points is what's making me feel so sore. It can be that way sometimes on the first day. I'm honestly not sure. I have done a fair amount of housework today through the headache fog, and I am going to call that good enough. The goal at this point is a long, solid night's sleep. I will head to the gym first thing in the morning. Kinda bummed because dh is not interested in coming to the gym with me. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

9 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Headachy and my neck/shoulders are killing me. I had a heavier workout on Monday that left me sore all week--I have been putting cream on one particular spot all week. I don't think gyrotonics did anything to make it worse--if anything I think I got some relief from it. This morning I was with the PT for a MAT adjustment, so I am wondering if her releasing certain tension points is what's making me feel so sore. It can be that way sometimes on the first day. I'm honestly not sure. I have done a fair amount of housework today through the headache fog, and I am going to call that good enough. The goal at this point is a long, solid night's sleep. I will head to the gym first thing in the morning. Kinda bummed because dh is not interested in coming to the gym with me. 

I hope you’re feeling better this morning! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I took a half dose of my super-special magnesium mix and slept heavily. Muscle knots eased up a lot, though still not gone. Just so thankful to break what was building so ferociously the last few days. So groggy today—I napped and had a cup of coffee, which helped.

Spent an hour at the gym this morning. Excellent weights and core work followed by ten minutes on the bike. 

I cope pretty well with exercising in a mask but there were more people there than I am comfortable with. It’s virtually empty when I go in the early afternoon during the week. While I am breaking in the new trainer, I feel I should be in person. With infection numbers starting to rise again we will see how long that goes.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Harriet Vane said:

I took a half dose of my super-special magnesium mix and slept heavily. Muscle knots eased up a lot, though still not gone. Just so thankful to break what was building so ferociously the last few days. So groggy today—I napped and had a cup of coffee, which helped.

Spent an hour at the gym this morning. Excellent weights and core work followed by ten minutes on the bike. 

I cope pretty well with exercising in a mask but there were more people there than I am comfortable with. It’s virtually empty when I go in the early afternoon during the week. While I am breaking in the new trainer, I feel I should be in person. With infection numbers starting to rise again we will see how long that goes.

Glad to hear you got sleep!

I've been missing my gym lately, but I can’t imagine going back. I’m impressed you can work out in a mask!

This reminds me to research whether they’ll hold outdoor classes again this summer— I think the past couple of years they’ve had both spin and yoga under a huge tent. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I've been buzzing about getting stuff done today after the past few weeks tied up with getting Mum moved. I planted seeds and potted on a lot of seedlings. Then I managed a walk late in the afternoon. Gratuitous lamb content.

20220409_170633.jpg

Sounds like it's all coming together. Glad you mom's move is coming along nicely. I LOVE the lamb photo!! I wonder what my baby border collie would do with them. He'd be completely fascinated, for sure. 

• Like 1

@Harriet Vane What is your super-special magnesium mix? I think I need some of that! 😄

I had a great day doing yard work, walking puppy, taking puppy to a sports shop that's dog friendly, and prepping the place for my pond/waterfall.  I wanted to go for a kayak, but it kept sprinkling then turning sunny most of the afternoon. Dh and I play our tennis league match this evening, so I have to save a little energy for that. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

@Harriet Vane What is your super-special magnesium mix? I think I need some of that! 😄

I had a great day doing yard work, walking puppy, taking puppy to a sports shop that's dog friendly, and prepping the place for my pond/waterfall.  I wanted to go for a kayak, but it kept sprinkling then turning sunny most of the afternoon. Dh and I play our tennis league match this evening, so I have to save a little energy for that. 

It's called RelaxMax, produced by Xymogen. I get it from a naturopath doctor.

Each 3g scoop contains:

75mg magnesium

2g myo-inositol

500mg taurine

100mg GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid)

50mg L-theanine

There are no additional or inactive ingredients. 

• Like 3

10,458 steps + week 6 yoga

Went for 1.5 mile walk this morning in the early morning fog, then a 2 mile walk along the river before the rain set in. Recovered with a 2 hour nap immediately following, lol, but I’m feeling really strong and not sore.

This week's yoga has been tough, but today I noticed that for the first time I was finally able to fully engage my deep abdominal muscles and pelvic floor during each move. I feel so encouraged by the progress I’ve made this week.

• Like 7

Friday- am walk outside and afternoon walk inside-- it was cloudy/cold and misty; full body strength-- 10.5k steps

Saturday- Active rest day- am indoor dance/walk -- then to girls track meet- lots of steps- evening light yard work- raking/tree trimming etc.- 17.5k steps

Sunday- 20 min LISS cardio with dh (he made it through without stopping woot!); 40 min abs+ arms; push mowing planned for today

Only dd3 competed in the meet, dd2 was too nervous to do it yet. Dd3 was last place with running but got 4th with her long jump. She was so excited! (I swear we are a slow family I felt so bad for her!). Next meet is in a couple of weeks.

• Like 5

Tennis was really fun last night. I didn't play horribly, so that's all good. I've been watching Twenty-Twelve on Britbox, and I have that line in my head constantly now. 😅

I'm supposed to play tennis this afternoon, but I'm hoping it's rained out. I think my body needs a rest day.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 5

A lovely walk with Husband, taking him to see the lambs. The weather was also warm enough to take Mum outside into the garden of the care home, to see the spring bulbs in flower and watch the early bees on the heather.

Home now and planning an hour or so of weeding.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

A lovely walk with Husband, taking him to see the lambs. The weather was also warm enough to take Mum outside into the garden of the care home, to see the spring bulbs in flower and watch the early bees on the heather.

Home now and planning an hour or so of weeding.

I just did some weeding in the backyard. For the first time in my life, I'm finding myself weeding with a spade. The thistle monster plants are so strong that I can't handle them with gloves. The ground they are in is going to be my wildflower area, so uncovering some dirt will be useful. The cool thing is that weeding standing up is amazing! I never want to do the bending over weeding again. 😄

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

I just did some weeding in the backyard. For the first time in my life, I'm finding myself weeding with a spade. The thistle monster plants are so strong that I can't handle them with gloves. The ground they are in is going to be my wildflower area, so uncovering some dirt will be useful. The cool thing is that weeding standing up is amazing! I never want to do the bending over weeding again. 😄

I quite enjoy bending from the waist to weed. But my weeds are minnows to your whales.

54 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I quite enjoy bending from the waist to weed. But my weeds are minnows to your whales.

😅 Normally, the whale sized weeds are great because they are so tall that no real bending is required. These weeds are very low, almost hugging the ground, with the strongest roots I've ever seen. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Missed posting yesterday, because it was a busy day. I did my usual 4K walk in the morning, then went to a yoga class help on the boardwalk next to the lake at a local nature preserve. Really lovely experience, and I will definitely go back.

Then I met up with a friend to take a walk on the West Orange Trail (about 5.5K, out and back) and grab lunch. 

Came home late-ish in the afternoon to a dog who needed a bath and the laundry and chores I hadn't done earlier in the day. Then got in one more walk before settling on the couch to watch a movie.

All told, it was close to 12 miles of walking, plus the yoga. So, definitely a good day for exercise.

Started today with the usual 4K walk, then watched the live stream from my daughter's church, because she was singing with the choir today, then headed out to do some errands. Planning the usual evening walk to top off the step goal, but that'll be it for today.

My errands included a stop at Target to acquire another exercise mat and some duplicate weights. Now that the screened patio is almost done, I plan to leave a second set of stuff outside so I can exercise out there sometimes without needing to drag equipment back and forth from the bedroom.

Spring Start 2022 Challenge: 170.5 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 407 Days

IMG_20220409_101719297_HDR.jpg

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 6

10,711 steps + week 6 yoga + light weights (arms) + legs only on rowing machine

2 walks today including 2 miles by the river again, followed by a long nap.

I started using light (5 lb) weights for a light arm workout, while seated so I don’t stress my abs and pelvic floor. Last week I tested the rowing machine, doing my legs only (no resistance) and could barely do 10 reps, but this week I’ve been able to do 20+ and should easily be able to increase in the upcoming days. I'm incredulous by how much ab strength doing the legs alone uses (at least, after being sliced open lol) but I’m encouraged by the progress.

• Like 5

I went for a couple of short walks this evening, but some drama is kicking off with my mom. She's been living alone after dad died in Feb, and she's just had a fall. She's in the hospital waiting to see the dr. She lives far away, and at this point I'm waiting to find out how she progresses before I hop on a plane. I just don't have it in my to jump on a plane again and find out she's died while I'm flying there. I just went through this with dad. ☹️

• Sad 6

9 hours ago, wintermom said:

I went for a couple of short walks this evening, but some drama is kicking off with my mom. She's been living alone after dad died in Feb, and she's just had a fall. She's in the hospital waiting to see the dr. She lives far away, and at this point I'm waiting to find out how she progresses before I hop on a plane. I just don't have it in my to jump on a plane again and find out she's died while I'm flying there. I just went through this with dad. ☹️

I hope she’s in good hands and that you find out more this morning. We’ve just been through something similar with my FIL's stroke; it’s so hard to know exactly what’s going on when far away. ((Hugs))

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@wintermomI'm so sorry to hear that. I hope the news today isn't too bad.

@Jenny in Floridathe yoga sounds wonderful and the view is gorgeous as always

@MEmamathat is progress, good for you looking at the positive side. It is hard to do sometimes.

More raking yesterday and push mowing. That push mowing hard work on the hills (I can't do the riding mower on the steeper hills because it will get stuck or flip). 

13.5k steps- it's low though as my watch doesn't catch steps while pushmowing because my hands are holding and stationary. I was push mowing for at least 30 minutes

I've had great energy the last few days. I don't know if it is just sleeping at night better or what. It's been wonderful. Today however my allergies are flaring and I'm not feeling all that spunky. I'll be taking it pretty easy. It is going to be storming anyway and the girls have school to do. 

today: 40 min quads (probably body weight- to baby my hip/hamstring)- indoor or outdoor walk at some point

• Like 5

@wintermom Sorry to hear about your mom. My coworker is living through that right now.

@Jenny in FloridaThanks for a touch of sun. After our 74° day last Thursday, we have cold rain all week. There's even a snowflake on the phone for today and Wednesday, but I don't see how there will be snow at our current 37°. Back to the winter wardrobe.

I'm about to get on the treadmill. Have a good week everyone.

• Like 5

Not a big walking day, but I did use my rowing machine in a modified way and it felt sooo good. First I did 50 reps of just legs, then decided to add in arms. I lowered the resistance and because I still can’t bend too far forward (or I can, but shouldn’t) I just went as far as was comfortable. I did 25 reps that way and stopped before it got too hard. Very often it isn’t until the next day that overdoing something presents itself and I didn’t want to risk setting myself back. Hopefully I can make it part of my new routine!

I also met a friend for coffee and talked for 2 hours in the brilliant sunshine. Naturally that meant taking a 2 hour nap after. Lol

• Like 6

Finished off the day yesterday with about 3K of walking.

A bit rushed this morning, because I needed to get myself out the door to go work in the office today. I fell a little short of my 4K walking goal and then did a scant 20 minutes of upper body weights.

Walked 3K with the dog when I got home but am still about 700 steps shy of my daily goal. I ran out of podcasts and couldn't maintain momentum to continue without the distraction. I'll make a few extra trips around/across the house before bed to top off.

Spring Start 2022 Challenge: 180.2 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 408 Days

• Like 6

2 hours ago, MEmama said:

Not a big walking day, but I did use my rowing machine in a modified way and it felt sooo good. First I did 50 reps of just legs, then decided to add in arms. I lowered the resistance and because I still can’t bend too far forward (or I can, but shouldn’t) I just went as far as was comfortable. I did 25 reps that way and stopped before it got too hard. Very often it isn’t until the next day that overdoing something presents itself and I didn’t want to risk setting myself back. Hopefully I can make it part of my new routine!

I also met a friend for coffee and talked for 2 hours in the brilliant sunshine. Naturally that meant taking a 2 hour nap after. Lol

Sounds like your recovery is coming along really well! Coffee with a friend for 2 hrs in the sun sounds amazing!

How is your fil doing after his stroke? That must be really tough on you guys being so far away. Is the family closer to him stepping up and helping your dad out? Hope he's doing better. 

• Like 2

Crazy day yesterday cooking and taking care of chores. We went to a friend's house last night and sat out on their patio talking for hours. Lovely.

My shoulder is all out of whack again after moving furniture this past weekend, and I think I pushed too hard with weightlifting last week. I did a weights and core workout today and am hoping I wake up less sore rather than more sore.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, wintermom said:

Sounds like your recovery is coming along really well! Coffee with a friend for 2 hrs in the sun sounds amazing!

How is your fil doing after his stroke? That must be really tough on you guys being so far away. Is the family closer to him stepping up and helping your dad out? Hope he's doing better. 

Thanks for asking. FIL is in a PT facility where they are working to get him as mobile as possible before releasing him early next week. We get few details from MIL, but DH will be there for the transition; he will have an opportunity to talk with doctors and gain a clearer understanding about long lasting damage and expectations for the future. One of our big concerns is that keeping him at home may not be sustainable and that they will be reluctant to move into a care home if necessary. We’re all trying to take it one day at a time for now, but there are big decisions looming.

I was glad to hear your mom was released— I hope she didn’t suffer much damage and isn’t too shaken. It’s hard to parent our parents from far away. 😞 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MEmama said:

Thanks for asking. FIL is in a PT facility where they are working to get him as mobile as possible before releasing him early next week. We get few details from MIL, but DH will be there for the transition; he will have an opportunity to talk with doctors and gain a clearer understanding about long lasting damage and expectations for the future. One of our big concerns is that keeping him at home may not be sustainable and that they will be reluctant to move into a care home if necessary. We’re all trying to take it one day at a time for now, but there are big decisions looming.

I was glad to hear your mom was released— I hope she didn’t suffer much damage and isn’t too shaken. It’s hard to parent our parents from far away. 😞 

I'm glad your DH will be there - talking to doctors, social workers etc. can be really valuable.

This stage is hard all round. Of course one respects the personhood of a child, but one does have the final say. With old people it's very different.  In the UK, for example, capacity to make decisions is not all-or-nothing - one can have capacity for some things but not for others. It's tricky.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I'm glad your DH will be there - talking to doctors, social workers etc. can be really valuable.

This stage is hard all round. Of course one respects the personhood of a child, but one does have the final say. With old people it's very different.  In the UK, for example, capacity to make decisions is not all-or-nothing - one can have capacity for some things but not for others. It's tricky.

Same in Canada. There's Power of Attorney (legal and financial decisions), and Personal Directive (health decisions). I'm torn most about the final decision of living arrangements, as this seems to be a very sensitive and yet crucial decision in the lives of everyone involved. If the senior is non-complient, then when and who gets to make that final decision on where they live - even just temporarily? 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Same in Canada. There's Power of Attorney (legal and financial decisions), and Personal Directive (health decisions). I'm torn most about the final decision of living arrangements, as this seems to be a very sensitive and yet crucial decision in the lives of everyone involved. If the senior is non-complient, then when and who gets to make that final decision on where they live - even just temporarily? 

We are in the same position and asking the same questions. Understandably, I don’t think MIL has thought about the hard questions much at all yet and we aren’t sure if they have those directives already in place. 

• Like 4

I woke up feeling sore and stiff and tired today and had a really tough time making myself get out of bed and go do things. I did walk just barely short of my 4K goal and spent a good amount of time on the floor doing strength and stretching stuff. 

It's a busy work day (making up for some things I didn't handle while I was in meetings all day yesterday), and I have to take a break this afternoon for what I assume will be a quick virtual appointment with the gastroenterologist. But if I can pry myself away from my desk early enough to do so, I'd like to get to the walk/run club this evening. The meeting location is about a mile from my house, so ideally I will leave early enough to walk there and back. But we'll have to see what the afternoon holds.

Spring Start 2022 Challenge: 184.1 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 409 Days

• Like 5

I've been doing a little yardwork while outside with the dogs. I'd love to nip out for a kayak paddle after work. I'll also try to go for a walk with the dog(s). 

I'm so excited about spring and summer approaching!! Some flowers are blooming and it's feels so hopeful. 😊

• Like 5

6 hours ago, wintermom said:

It's really tricky. My mum initially said she didn't want to move to the new care home. If I hadn't managed to turn her around,  she would have stayed in the old, chaotic, possibly dangerous home.

The POA for care is not in place because she is considered to have capacity for care decisions. It's absolutely right that she should have as much agency as possible,  but it's hard to deal with.

Anyway.  Yoga first thing then a walk at lunchtime.

• Like 5

Yesterday: 1 walk + 50 (modified) reps on rower + week 7 yoga

Not as many walks as I would have liked but I’m doing much more around the house so I’m working my activity levels up in different ways. I'm noticing that my body is moving more naturally and I’m no longer mentally preparing my movements in advance; I no longer need to be quite as intentional and careful. 

• Like 6

I feel crappy and my stupid hip is really bothering me. Monday I manged 5.5k steps and only 1.5k yesterday. Today the hip is not as bad but my energy is 0. My head is full of snot and I'm not sleeping well with the drainage. I did upper body strength yesterday but that was all the energy I had. Today is supposed to be another lower body day--- if I do anything it will be rehab'/pt movements for my hip. The problem is I don't get pain during movements to know what is bothering it. I dropped the weights but evidently there are some movements that are not working right now--- things I did just fine for years before. It is a combo of pushing too hard and too much time sitting (more than usual the last several months with thyroid med issues). Energy levels are better these days and I've been more active but I got work to do to make up for that time. My hip flexors are entirely too tight and I slacked on foam rolling, which really helped. It drives home I have to be careful with my body. With my upper body I've learned the hard way to go much more slowly than I think I should- otherwise my injury would flare up again and again. Then same for HIIT-- I cannot go all out. I have to do less than I feel like I can do. Now, it is the same with my lower body. It has not given me issues before so I went on. I worked on pushing heavier weights b/c I felt I was not progressing. But I have to keep things a bit easy. It is such a balancing act- because I have had times when I've been scared by injury and ended up not progressing when I could. But better to err on not progressing than to err towards injury. So, for the time being I'll continue on with upper body work and rehab the lower body-- and no weights.

• Like 5