Menu

Exercise bike?

Night Elf

My treadmill broke down completely and the technician said it was too old to be repaired. DH doesn't want to buy another one because we really didn't use it like we were supposed to. But I need something I can do for 10-15 minutes at one time when I can't get outside to walk. I used an exercise bike at the physical therapist and really liked it. I'd like to buy one but I don't want a full size one that sits in one place like my treadmill. They make fold-up bikes like this one. (amazon link) Would this really hold up? I'm worried it won't be steady. What do you think?

Both of these have lots of good reviews, but the bad reviews really are bad. I'd be afraid to get a dud. The only way to get a refund is send it back which people are complaining is a hassle. I like they both work for you though. I know DH will want to spend the least amount of money because he's positive I won't use it long before I get bored with it. That's why I just want something easy. I'll have DH look at these. There is a big price difference.

Thanks! 

If you can possibly try the one you want before buying, I highly recommend that!

Maybe for taller people this isn’t a huge issue, but I have bought and sold several exercise bikes because they didn’t work for my body. So painful. And not fun financially! One made me reach too far, and if I used it for any length of time it increased shoulder pain and migraines. Another gave me rear end pain, something to do with the length of my legs, I can’t recall — even after trying different seats. Turns out I needed a bike that works for my height and reach. Ha! Much like my regular bike, which is tailored to my needs, too. Exercise bikes aren’t one size fits all, either.

That said, I love my exercise bike (the one that fits) and use it every. single. day. Well worth the purchase! I’m on the second one of the model that I love! I literally wore out the first one.

ETA: mine is a Schwinn 270 recumbent, works for short and tall people, easy to adjust between DH, DS and me. But it’s not a small footprint.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

I'm 5' 7" which may be about average? Not sure. I do have long legs. I did think about going somewhere to try out bikes but I'm afraid all they'll have are commercial grade models. I don't want something as big as my treadmill was. I'd also like to ride the bike in the living room sometimes so want to be able to move it from bedroom to living room easily.  That may not work though. I'll take a drive to the sports store and see what they have. DH is off work today which is good because he needs to go with me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Night Elf said:

I'm 5' 7" which may be about average? Not sure. I do have long legs. I did think about going somewhere to try out bikes but I'm afraid all they'll have are commercial grade models. I don't want something as big as my treadmill was. I'd also like to ride the bike in the living room sometimes so want to be able to move it from bedroom to living room easily.  That may not work though. I'll take a drive to the sports store and see what they have. DH is off work today which is good because he needs to go with me. 

They should have a range of options. I really think trying some out will save you some headaches.

I don’t know if this helps but we have a lot of exercise equipment. According to my apple watch I burn more calories following one of those 5000 step YouTube videos than I do on a bike or incline trainer treadmill unless I crank the incline above 30 degrees, which I can usually only handle at 2.5 mph for less than 15 minutes. In terms of effort & space a YouTube video is easier, more effective, and free. 

There’s probably a dozen people who make videos, but right now this woman is my favorite. She’s so happy she makes it fun. 

If you really want to torch calories you could also choose a 180 bpm exercise music track & walk/run in place to that. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Katy said:

I don’t know if this helps but we have a lot of exercise equipment. According to my apple watch I burn more calories following one of those 5000 step YouTube videos than I do on a bike or incline trainer treadmill unless I crank the incline above 30 degrees, which I can usually only handle at 2.5 mph for less than 15 minutes. In terms of effort & space a YouTube video is easier, more effective, and free. 

There’s probably a dozen people who make videos, but right now this woman is my favorite. She’s so happy she makes it fun. 

If you really want to torch calories you could also choose a 180 bpm exercise music track & walk/run in place to that. 

That looks good but I'm concerned about my legs. I have leg pain that sometimes is only in the knee and other times is the whole leg. I went to an orthopedic doctor who said I cannot stand for long periods of time or squat as both of those things hurt. He recommended I find a different job and lose weight. I did quit my job because my manager didn't like that I was having to sit down so much. It was an hourly position so no big loss. When I walk outside, I can't walk more than 20 minutes before my legs start hurting. That video you linked just may not work. I wish it did though because I used to be able to do all those moves. I have a Leslie Sansone walking video from years ago. I can try that to see if it is more gentle.

22 minutes ago, Night Elf said:

That looks good but I'm concerned about my legs. I have leg pain that sometimes is only in the knee and other times is the whole leg. I went to an orthopedic doctor who said I cannot stand for long periods of time or squat as both of those things hurt. He recommended I find a different job and lose weight. I did quit my job because my manager didn't like that I was having to sit down so much. It was an hourly position so no big loss. When I walk outside, I can't walk more than 20 minutes before my legs start hurting. That video you linked just may not work. I wish it did though because I used to be able to do all those moves. I have a Leslie Sansone walking video from years ago. I can try that to see if it is more gentle.

Oh that's right.  Have you thought about water aerobics at the Y?  Easy on joints as long as you haven't recently had ligament surgery.

1 hour ago, Spryte said:

If you can possibly try the one you want before buying, I highly recommend that!

Maybe for taller people this isn’t a huge issue, but I have bought and sold several exercise bikes because they didn’t work for my body. So painful. And not fun financially! One made me reach too far, and if I used it for any length of time it increased shoulder pain and migraines. Another gave me rear end pain, something to do with the length of my legs, I can’t recall — even after trying different seats. Turns out I needed a bike that works for my height and reach. Ha! Much like my regular bike, which is tailored to my needs, too. Exercise bikes aren’t one size fits all, either.

That said, I love my exercise bike (the one that fits) and use it every. single. day. Well worth the purchase! I’m on the second one of the model that I love! I literally wore out the first one.

ETA: mine is a Schwinn 270 recumbent, works for short and tall people, easy to adjust between DH, DS and me. But it’s not a small footprint.

It’s the one my mom is using. Actually Dd and I use it too, but it’s mainly for her since she is losing muscle mass. Regarding the footprint, it’s long but narrow; we were worried how much space it would take up but we’ve put it next to a wall and there’s space to walk around it for my mom who occupies about 400 sqft of space.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crazyforlatin said:

It’s the one my mom is using. Actually Dd and I use it too, but it’s mainly for her since she is losing muscle mass. Regarding the footprint, it’s long but narrow; we were worried how much space it would take up but we’ve put it next to a wall and there’s space to walk around it for my mom who occupies about 400 sqft of space.

I’m glad you like it, too! Our first was given to us by FIL, and I was skeptical. Reformed treadmill lover here, but a toe injury made me look for another option. We used that bike till it just died. DH repaired it twice, and then we let it go. 5 years, 3 of us, each 45 - 60 mins a day. Then we tried two different bikes to replace it, nothing worked for everyone. So we bought another Schwinn. 🤣

I agree that it’s not huge, but maybe bigger than the ones OP was considering, definitely not one to drag between rooms regularly for me.

• Like 1

Ok, back from two sports stores. They didn't have many to try and the ones they had out were out of our price range. I did look up an article about upright vs. recumbent bikes. I have back issues, knee issues, and some slight balance issues so I should get a recumbent bike. That's probably going to be more expensive than just a small upright bike I had in mind. I tried both and I definitely preferred the recumbent bike.

So I'm just going to go back to researching online and have something delivered. If it's complicated, we'll have to pay the extra money to have someone assemble it for us. DH is also worried about the footprint so I have to keep that in mind when looking for a bike.

• Like 1

Maybe another option?  I have a bike trainer set up in my living room right now.  Mine looks something like this, but they come at all price points (dh is drooling over a $900 right now) and the entire thing stands on a mat to keep the floor from getting dirty.  In the summer, bikes go in the garage to use out on the roads and trails.  When that's not feasible, the bike trainer takes 5 minutes to set up.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

Maybe another option?  I have a bike trainer set up in my living room right now.  Mine looks something like this, but they come at all price points (dh is drooling over a $900 right now) and the entire thing stands on a mat to keep the floor from getting dirty.  In the summer, bikes go in the garage to use out on the roads and trails.  When that's not feasible, the bike trainer takes 5 minutes to set up.

DH uses a bike trainer too.

A rowing machine is another option. I love mine and can’t wait til I can start using it again. Rowing is low impact and works abs, back, legs, arms…nearly everything. It’s excellent for people who are concerned about balance, too. Just throwing it out there for OP in case it’s an option she hadn’t considered. 

17 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

I thought about that but then I'd have to research bikes. Plus, in all honestly, that bike would never touch the outside ground. I have no desire to ride a bike outside. We do have trails near where I live but they are shared by bicycles, runners and walkers. I don't want to be dodging people. 🙂

4 minutes ago, MEmama said:

DH uses a bike trainer too.

A rowing machine is another option. I love mine and can’t wait til I can start using it again. Rowing is low impact and works abs, back, legs, arms…nearly everything. It’s excellent for people who are concerned about balance, too. Just throwing it out there for OP in case it’s an option she hadn’t considered. 

I really just want something to peddle or walk on. I am not interested in a full body workout. I plan to ride a bike for no more than 15 minutes a day and I might do it twice a day sometimes which would be 30 minutes a day. I just can't handle anything more. 

I miss my last house. We had a full daylight basement that was awesome. We had lots of room and could have had more than one piece of equipment easily. Now I'm having to watch the space as this bike will go in the bedroom. 

Ooh! I have a suggestion for you, Beth! Have you considered a FitDesk? It's a stationery bike with a desk attached to it, so you can sit and read or write, or use your iPad or laptop while you pedal. The footprint is pretty small, and it's amazingly quiet -- you can barely hear it at all. You can watch TV or a video without even raising the volume, and it's so quiet that you won't disturb anyone else in the same room.

I know you're doing a lot of studying these days, so something like this might be perfect for you -- and the price is very reasonable, too.

https://www.amazon.com/FitDesk-Bike-Desk-3-0-Built/dp/B06XYHXP8W/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=CO4T5PUYDJHN&keywords=fitdesk&qid=1648242463&sprefix=fitdesk%2Caps%2C110&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A3OO04JJ922PXW&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyMUhOTlNWUEhaRk5KJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTEwMjI5MlJUQkxXUVhRSUg0WCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTg1ODg3QTJIV0s5RURKNkswJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

One caveat, though -- this isn't a spin bike; it's not going to give you a crazy hard workout. But it's great for adding movement to your day while you do other things at the same time.

38 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Ooh! I have a suggestion for you, Beth! Have you considered a FitDesk? It's a stationery bike with a desk attached to it, so you can sit and read or write, or use your iPad or laptop while you pedal. The footprint is pretty small, and it's amazingly quiet -- you can barely hear it at all. You can watch TV or a video without even raising the volume, and it's so quiet that you won't disturb anyone else in the same room.

I know you're doing a lot of studying these days, so something like this might be perfect for you -- and the price is very reasonable, too.

https://www.amazon.com/FitDesk-Bike-Desk-3-0-Built/dp/B06XYHXP8W/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=CO4T5PUYDJHN&keywords=fitdesk&qid=1648242463&sprefix=fitdesk%2Caps%2C110&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A3OO04JJ922PXW&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyMUhOTlNWUEhaRk5KJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTEwMjI5MlJUQkxXUVhRSUg0WCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTg1ODg3QTJIV0s5RURKNkswJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

One caveat, though -- this isn't a spin bike; it's not going to give you a crazy hard workout. But it's great for adding movement to your day while you do other things at the same time.

Interesting. I'll take a look. And no, I most definitely do not want a hard workout. That's why I don't want a commercial grade piece of equipment. I want a leisurely pace just to move my legs. I sit all day unless I'm up running errands. 

2 minutes ago, Night Elf said:

Interesting. I'll take a look. And no, I most definitely do not want a hard workout. That's why I don't want a commercial grade piece of equipment. I want a leisurely pace just to move my legs. I sit all day unless I'm up running errands. 

The FitDesk might be perfect for you. You might want to check Facebook Marketplace or CraigsList to see if you can find a used one, because then you could try it out before you buy one.

I really think you would like it. I like mine a lot -- and I use it for the same reasons you mentioned.

@Night Elf

Beth, I didn't notice when I posted the link, but the $309 FitDesk is not sold by Amazon and I wanted to mention that to you -- but they have a "Used Like New" one that's sold by Amazon Warehouse for only $235.20 with free Prime shipping. The description says it's in original packaging but packaging will be damaged, which in my experience has been that the item is brand new, but the outer box is dinged up. That's a great price!

One other suggestion -- I know you want a bike, but have you considered an under-desk elliptical? The under-desk bikes don't work for me because my knees keep whacking the underside of my desk, but the little elliptical is fine. You can get something like a Cubii or you can save money by getting the Sunny Fitness brand (which is about half the price of the Cubii and requires absolutely no assembly.) I have the Sunny one, and it's super-quiet. You can also put it in front of your sofa and use it while you watch TV or read. If you'd like, I can find a link to it and post it here. I got mine on Amazon.

Edited by Catwoman
forgot something!
  • Like 1