Menu

For fun, anyone want to help brainstorm wedding music?

Ann.without.an.e

Older dd had a coordinator and DJ who handled all of this but younger dd wants a very small, simple wedding on our farm so no coordinator or DJ. Super laid back and simple. We have a friend who is a great musician, I've asked if he can just sing and play guitar for the ceremony. Just a song for entrance/exit. So here are my questions...

I think we should maybe change songs, one for family + bridal party and a different one for dd? Or should we have one song for everyone to enter including dd? DD and I have discussed this and aren't sure which will flow best. 

DD and I have a list we've started for music ideas, but does anyone have any favorites they want to share for us to listen to?  Ultimately this will be DD and future SIL's choice, but she's been asking me for ideas as well. 

Thanks for helping me brainstorm this 🙂 

Edited by Ann.without.an.e

Not Pachelbel Canon

One of my cousins used the instrumental for The Final Countdown for the bridal march. Another used Chariots of Fire. I forgot if it was a cousin or friend who used the Superman movie theme song.

Other cousins have used:

I finally found someone by Barbra Streisand

From This Moment On by Shania Twain

• Like 1

Definitely define the bride’s entrance with a separate song.

I like ‘There Is Love’ for the bride or for a song sometime during the ceremony, but it’s pretty dated.  It works well with one guitar and one voice, though, which is why I mention it.

”One In A Million” was DH and my’s wedding dance song.  It’s by Larry Graham and the words are fantastic.  I think it would work well as a guitar and one voice piece.

• Like 1

I like the song you shared above---nice music--- what little I heard of the lyrics ( with music, I am almost exclusively usually paying attention to either the non vocal parts or the vocal parts as music, not poetry)

One song I really like that is romantically themed is 'Time After Time'.

What I did want to know- is the reception going to be also one man with a guitar or is it switching to playlist format?  Cause  a lot of music that I consider good  multi-age party music good for such an event- is not stuff that can be played that way.  ( 'Celebrate', 'Celebration', 'Happy', etc.)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

She loves folk but pop is good. Classical is fine but most need more than a guitar. It needs to be ok with just a guitar and man's voice. 

And classical music on guitar is tough. It cannot be played well on a standard acoustic guitar and the player needs to be trained as a classical guitarist so that is very much something to consider. My son is a classical guitarist and plays a lot of Bach and what not. Really beautiful! But he is college trained. None of his friends who play only pop and folk acoustic can play classical. So your dd needs to have a good understanding of the extent of the guitarists capabilities before choosing any music. That foes for vocal as well. What is the vocalists's range? That may rule out some music.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

I like the song you shared above---nice music--- what little I heard of the lyrics ( with music, I am almost exclusively usually paying attention to either the non vocal parts or the vocal parts as music, not poetry)

One song I really like that is romantically themed is 'Time After Time'.

What I did want to know- is the reception going to be also one man with a guitar or is it switching to playlist format?  Cause  a lot of music that I consider good  multi-age party music good for such an event- is not stuff that can be played that way.  ( 'Celebrate', 'Celebration', 'Happy', etc.)

We're not sure. We may just have him play for the ceremony and use a playlist for the reception for that reason. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ellie said:

My only thought would be for the music as the bride enters to be such that it is mostly finished by the time she reaches the groom, so that they don't have to stand and stare at each other for a couple of minutes waiting for the music to stop. 

yes, that can feel awkward for sure. I was telling dd that they could even plan to cut a song down too if needed.

• Like 1