Menu

Fancy vegan soup and sandwiches

Drama Llama

The wide world of lentil, bean, mixed-bean soups (such as the one mentioned by @KungFuPanda above) are a pretty great option. You can riff by adding greens, veggies, grains, pasta, etc.

One very simple soup that I like to serve at easter time presents as something that's quite "fancy" (despite being really easy). It does require purple cauliflower for the "wow" factor, but plain cauliflower tastes similar. All you do is cook the cauliflower (with whole garlic cloves) in milk (sub in a non-dairy alternative) with a little [s]butter[/s] or olive oil until tender. Then blend. I use a stick blender to avoid spilling hot liquid.

With purple cauliflower the pureed soup take son a lovely pastel purple shade that looks like an easter-egg color. Never fails to get ooh and ahs for being so pretty.

Bill

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This soup is fantastic. Just don’t use anywhere NEAR as much chili powder as it says. I just use a tiny, tiny  pinch and add more if needed. Yes, it’s low FODMAP, but it is so good. You could add some onion or garlic if you like. I sometimes buy fresh collards and chop them pretty small, then use them in the recipe as directed. Or sometimes I use frozen kale. It tastes good that way, too. 

https://mealplannerpro.com/member-recipes/Veggie-Packed-Low-FODMAP-Soup-Recipe-2385358

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

For the sandwiches,

Pita bread, thin layer of plain hummus or of sweet hot mustard, layer each of coarse grated red cabbage, seed cucumber, and carrots, thin tomato slices, thick avocado slices, shaved red onion, radish sprouts, and a heavy sprinkle of raw sunflower seeds is amazing.

That sounds very inviting!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Selkie said:

Check out the soups on this site. Their recipes are vegan, delicious, and amazing:

https://monkeyandmekitchenadventures.com

For sandwiches, we love paninis with bbq mushrooms, red onions, spinach, hummus, cashew queso - you can make all kinds of variations depending on what you like and have on hand.

Do you have a recipe for the bbq mushrooms?  

I’d need something nut free to sub for cashew queso.

2 hours ago, regentrude said:

OK, I think I am going to go with this, because I've made it before and I agree it's amazing.

Now, I need a sandwich or something to take the place of a sandwich, I think, and maybe a salad. 

For context, this is the family birthday for one of DH's nieces who has asked for a homemade chicken noodle soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.  But it's also the first time another niece is bringing her vegan boyfriend to meet the family.  So, I'd like to serve him a good meal.  I feel as though if other people get a sandwich with their soup, then he should too.  Or if not a sandwich something else that you can hold in your hand and eat. 

I need it to be nut free.

So, what would you add?  

Chicken noodle soup

Grilled Cheese

Tangy braised chickpeas

???????

Birthday cake!

My favorite and easiest vegan soup ever. 

Throw together a mixture of vegetables with enough water to cover. Make sure there is at least one onion and one potato. One of my favorite combos also includes a ton of spinach and tomato and zucchini in addition to the onion and potato. Cook until totally soft. Blend until silky smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. 

I have done a zillion different vegetable combos. As long as you have the potato to bind it all with some starchy heft, it works. 

• Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

We love TLTs - tempeh, lettuce, tomato. 

You can make 'bacon' out of tempeh, like this https://minimalistbaker.com/easy-tempeh-bacon/

Then use a nice sourdough or something like my favorite bread: https://www.redhenbaking.com/bread/cyrus-pringle/

Lettuce and tomato and vegan mayo?

oooh that sounds good!

I was also looking at this one:

https://www.easycheesyvegetarian.com/avocado-sweet-potato-wraps/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baseballandhockey said:

OK, I think I am going to go with this, because I've made it before and I agree it's amazing.

Now, I need a sandwich or something to take the place of a sandwich, I think, and maybe a salad. 

For context, this is the family birthday for one of DH's nieces who has asked for a homemade chicken noodle soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.  But it's also the first time another niece is bringing her vegan boyfriend to meet the family.  So, I'd like to serve him a good meal.  I feel as though if other people get a sandwich with their soup, then he should too.  Or if not a sandwich something else that you can hold in your hand and eat. 

I need it to be nut free.

So, what would you add?  

Chicken noodle soup

Grilled Cheese

Tangy braised chickpeas

???????

Birthday cake!

That chickpea stew looks pretty hearty. I think it’s plenty with some good bread and a salad. If you were doing a soup that was not so hearty, I’d suggest a sandwich like these No-tuna chickpea salad sandwiches

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kristin0713 said:

That chickpea stew looks pretty hearty. I think it’s plenty with some good bread and a salad. If you were doing a soup that was not so hearty, I’d suggest a sandwich like these No-tuna chickpea salad sandwiches

I feel like if some people get a sandwich then everyone needs to get a sandwich.  Maybe that is my own hangup and not a real need.

I don't think I want chickpeas and chickpeas.

I am leaning towards the sweet potato wrap because I think it would balance somehow.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Baseballandhockey said:

I feel like if some people get a sandwich then everyone needs to get a sandwich.  Maybe that is my own hangup and not a real need.

I don't think I want chickpeas and chickpeas.

I am leaning towards the sweet potato wrap because I think it would balance somehow.  

If you wanted to do a sandwich but be different, a food bread brushed with garlic infused olive oil and toasted with sun dried tomatoes and diced red pepper might be very nice. I do think the sweet potato wrap sounds yummy.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Baseballandhockey said:

I have tried these recipes and liked them:

BBQ Tempeh sandwich: https://www.noracooks.com/bbq-tempeh/

Primavera Just Egg Sandwich:: https://www.ju.st/cook/primavera (you can buy Just Egg at Whole Foods or Target)

Lafayette Just Egg Sandwich: https://www.ju.st/cook/the-lafayette

• Thanks 1

I took an online cooking class about a year ago doing a vegan po’boy and it has become a household staple.   You partially roast sweet potatoes, peel and slice, dip in vegan milk and a mix of corn meal and almond flour and old bay to make kind of croquettes. It has a cabbage bell pepper slaw with vegan dressing and a fennel aioli and fennel mar made.  It sounds weird but the combo is amazing.  I prep everything and you can toss the salad and warm the sweet potatoes in a skillet in a couple minutes  just before serving.  Maybe more than you would want to do if you’re serving no vegan stuff too.  

Edited by catz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, catz said:

I took an online cooking class about a year ago doing a vegan po’boy and it has become a household staple.   You partially roast sweet potatoes, peel and slice, dip in vegan milk and a mix of corn meal and almond flour and old bay to make kind of croquettes. It has a cabbage bell pepper slaw with vegan dressing and a fennel aioli and fennel mar made.  It sounds weird but the combo is amazing.  I prep everything and you can toss the salad and warm the sweet potatoes in a skillet in a couple minutes  just before serving.  

That sounds delicious.

I wonder if I can sub for the almond flour.

Do you have a recipe?

3 minutes ago, Baseballandhockey said:

That sounds delicious.

I wonder if I can sub for the almond flour.

Do you have a recipe?

I could scan and send it in the morning.  You can use any flour!   I’ve used regular all purpose and whole wheat flour too.  

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Baseballandhockey said:

Thank you!

I found it in my email and hopefully comes through in a PM!  If you don’t have time, save it, it’s so good!  The slaw is really good as a salad too.   

Edited by catz
  • Thanks 1

Oh I was going to say, I mix the salad ingredients and do the dressing ingredients in an immersion blender and store separately.  Everything will keep 4-5 days if you store the components separately.   Just warm up/brown the sweet potatoes for a couple minutes, toss the salad, assemble, yum!   The cook that put this together is some sort of vegan rock star she could make converts out of all of us.  😍

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Baseballandhockey said:

oooh that sounds good!

I was also looking at this one:

https://www.easycheesyvegetarian.com/avocado-sweet-potato-wraps/

That looks yummy too! I was just remembering Thug Kitchen's sandwich that we loved too. :https://www.badmanners.com/recipes/roasted-chickpea-and-broccoli-burrito 

(has swears in the recipe)

• Thanks 1

DS has decided the occasion warrants homemade bread.  So, I think we're going to just put out rolls and a bunch of homemade toppings and people can assemble as they wish.  I'm not sure how cohesive that will be.  We're definitely stealing the po'boy style sweet potatoes, maybe some cauliflower steaks too?  A few different condiments?  Some avocado, arugula, some kinda slaw?  

4 minutes ago, Baseballandhockey said:

DS has decided the occasion warrants homemade bread.  So, I think we're going to just put out rolls and a bunch of homemade toppings and people can assemble as they wish.  I'm not sure how cohesive that will be.  We're definitely stealing the po'boy style sweet potatoes, maybe some cauliflower steaks too?  A few different condiments?  Some avocado, arugula, some kinda slaw?  

I think it sounds lovely, and you owe us a photo of this spread before you let everyone devour it! 😀

• Thanks 1

I spent part of today making this:  https://greatcurryrecipes.net/2011/02/15/base-curry-gravy-2/

Its a curry base that you can add to to make a variety of dishes. It’s loaded with veggies and flavor. I’m freezing it in meal-sized portions and turning part of it into Masala sauce for dinner. It makes 3 liters, so plan on freezing or cut the recipe

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1