Menu

documentaries/education shows for kids?

ktgrok

We used to have "documentary time" before bed, but that fell by the wayside last summer and I want to start back. But I need documentaries/educational shows that are okay for a kid who is sensitive about animals. Not the ones that spend 20 minutes explaining how cute some animal is, have you fall in love with it, then show you it being eaten by a predator. I am NOT looking for judgement on that - I seriously know my kid and know that trauma before bed will mean not sleeping well, etc. Trust me - he comes by it honestly. I cried during the Roadrunner cartoons because I worried the coyote was starving to death. This kid sobbed hysterically over a cartoon silent short about a wolf cub that was lost and couldn't find it's mother for all of 2 minutes. 

So, things that worked well are Ocean Mysteries, Rock the Parks, some show about inventions on curiosity stream, etc. It can be fun and exciting, but not sad, if that makes sense. 

• Like 1

We are PBS heads here.  My kids watch Nova and Nature every week.  There are some Nature episodes that do have the animals getting eaten, but there are others that don't. 

I have been letting my kids all watch All Creatures Great and Small and Around the World in 80 Days.

I also let them watch anything at all on PBS kids.  

• Like 1

We had DVDs of Kratt Bros "Be the Creature" that were really good (I passed them on to a friend with younger kids). And really any of their options, whatever you can find. So good. 

Not sure what all else. Mrs. Frizzle/Magic Schoolbus has a bunch of stuff, but not sure if those are too cartoony/young. 

I've watched a few good TV series about working dogs (various service dog situations). I can't remember the name and it may not be available in your area, but that kind of subject matter is great as it deals with both the animal and the humans and their situations. 

There are also some good wildlife rescue shows on, but the injured or trapped animals might be too much for your dc.

Most Dangerous Ways to School is about children all around the world and the trials the face in getting to school.  It is a little intense in places, but not bad at all.  

Rough Science is on youtube still, I think.   Lots of episodes about a group of scientists who are left on an island or something, and have to solve science challenges with whatever they can find.  Not scary at all. (ETA I just checked and they are still available).

My kids also like How It's Made and Dirty Jobs.

Edited by thewellerman

The DisneyNature is very good. My favorites are Bears and absolutely love Born in China. Beautifully filmed. They also have flamingos, butterflies, big cats, whales, oceans, earth... Google the series. We checked out a gorgeous hummingbird docu dvd from our library. This may be it. Slow motion filming was amazing. 

Blue planet is good.

Oh, and the Imax Under the Sea, except fish do eat fish in that.

Eta, this Families of the World series is good.

Edited by Spirea
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lori D. said:

For animals, perhaps episodes of the old PBS Kratts Creatures series??

The 4 yr old watches those but the 11 yr old thinks she is too old. 

1 hour ago, Harriet Vane said:

My go-to for gentle wisdom is always Mr Rogers, available for free on Amazon.

I wonder about Zaboomafoo for something more animal-specific?

Yup, 4 yr old watches this often before bed!

1 hour ago, thewellerman said:

Most Dangerous Ways to School is about children all around the world and the trials the face in getting to school.  It is a little intense in places, but not bad at all.  

Rough Science is on youtube still, I think.   Lots of episodes about a group of scientists who are left on an island or something, and have to solve science challenges with whatever they can find.  Not scary at all. (ETA I just checked and they are still available).

My kids also like How It's Made and Dirty Jobs.

Ooh, we liked that school one, and it has been many years, so we could rewatch! And Dirty Jobs is a great idea - we have watched all of How it's made. and that rough science sounds perfect!

35 minutes ago, Spirea said:

The DisneyNature is very good. My favorites are Bears and absolutely love Born in China. Beautifully filmed. They also have flamingos, butterflies, big cats, whales, oceans, earth... Google the series. We checked out a gorgeous hummingbird docu dvd from our library. This may be it. Slow motion filming was amazing. 

Blue planet is good.

Oh, and the Imax Under the Sea, except fish do eat fish in that.

Eta, this Families of the World series is good.

Thank you!

• Like 1

Do they have to be about animals? My science lover is obsessed with Mark Rober (former engineer at Apple and NASA). He’s probably best known as the glitter-bomb guy, but he has some really cool stuff besides (and his squirrel obstacle course videos are super fun). 

Also Smarter Every Day; he’s an engineer based in the south (Alabama?) who does fun stuff like building a machine to launch a baseball at supersonic speeds. 

ETA:  in everything I’ve seen, both these guys are squeaky clean in terms of language, etc. 

Edited by Forget-Me-Not
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

Do they have to be about animals? My science lover is obsessed with Mark Rober (former engineer at Apple and NASA). He’s probably best known as the glitter-bomb guy, but he has some really cool stuff besides (and his squirrel obstacle course videos are super fun). 

Also Smarter Every Day; he’s an engineer based in the south (Alabama?) who does fun stuff like building a machine to launch a baseball at supersonic speeds. 

ETA:  in everything I’ve seen, both these guys are squeaky clean in terms of language, etc. 

Oh, good idea! My kids have both seen some of those videos, but not all of them!! 

8 hours ago, wintermom said:

The show I was referring to in my previous post was a Canadian documentary series called "Dogs with Jobs." It was excellent! It might be available on youtube or other streaming sources (Slice), or there may be similar series from other countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogs_with_Jobs

Oh, I think we watched that already, lol. I know I watched it, I think the kids watched with me. But it was very good!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Ruth Goodman has some great experimental archaeology vids on Youtube. 
I don't believe any animals were harmed in the building of the castle:

Ooh! Cool!

5 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

72 most  ..animals of...  don't really have the eating cute animal type thing.  

Mythbusters Jr. 

Brain games

DS22 loved those 72 most... videos! I think I've shown a few to the others, but not many. We've seen most of mythbusters stuff, I didn't know there was a Jr version! And I think we've seen most of Brain games. 

• Like 2

Planet Earth, Life, Blue Planet, Our Planet, Flight of the Butterflies, The Year the Earth Changed, March of the Penguins, Nature's Most Amazing Events, Life in Color, The Life of Mammals, Life Stories, Natural Curiosities, First Life, Kingdom of Plants, Micro Monsters, Life in Cold Blood, The Life of Birds, Great Migrations, Secret Lives of Big Cats, Human Planet, Life in a Day, Walking with Dinosaurs, Pick of the Litter, Fantastic Fungi, Babies, I Am Eleven...

Disney Plus has a zillion great ones.  

My kids loved Too Cute when they were little.  

• Like 1