Menu

Looking Ahead to 2022 - Day 25

Granny_Weatherwax

Thank you for posting this early. I'm not sure if I'll be on tomorrow or not.

As I have said in other posts, I want to take better care of myself physically with eating changes, more activity, and losing weight. 

I am going to start some spiritual life coaching that I hope will help me mentally as well. I have a lot of anxiety from menopause and some other issues along with me needing to go to work. All of this has taken a bit of a mental toll, but I am thankful it isn't any worse. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Self care mental:  Continue seeing the Stephen Minister that I started meeting with weekly roughly 6 weeks ago.   Establish a meditation practice.   Hopefully be able to forgive my estranged husband (I have found forgiveness comes when I stop demanding it of myself).   Continue reading.   Take time to be alone daily.   Check in with myself very often and listen to what my body and mind say I need.

Self care physical:   establish a work out routine!  Bed on time (it has been creeping later than is best for me lately.   Keep up my good eating habits and good water intake.  Reach goal weight and then stay there!

I'm sure there are more but this certainly is a long enough list.  Every day after I answer the prompt, at some point, I think of other things.  I just love how these prompts bring so much contemplation and reflection.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Self care physical : Eating and cooking healthy, exercise every day, hydration, sunlight and walking in nature. Get back to swimming.

Self care mental: Gratitude journal every day. Meditate. Music and Reading. Learn Art. Retreat ?

Merry Christmas everyone ! 🎄

Thank you @Granny_Weatherwax for these threads. They have been very helpful and rather cathartic. It has been nice reading all responses. 

Edited by DreamerGirl
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Merry Christmas!

Self-care: physical and mental:

• Music for the soul.
  • Daily movement, sleep, time in nature, good food.
  • Keeping as clear a mind as possible in the circumstances.
  • Remembering that I'm human and only have the same 24 daily hours as everyone else.
  • Not letting things pile up and create unnecessary stress.
  • Things like this - introspecting, articulating what's going on inside.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

More walking/hiking. More time reading. Something to study/learn. 

What I really need is to find a space in my house that is my own. I am the only person who does not have their own room. (My husband and I share a bedroom but he has an office where he can shut the door and not be disturbed/interrupted.)

I know it is typical of moms that we are on call all the time. My kids are adults but they still have things to talk to me about. I am anxious for them to become independent and live away from me (though of course I will miss them if they move far away). I'm glad they want to talk to me. BUT I also need to have time when I am not interrupted.

Since March 2020 when my kids had to do college from home, I have had very little solitude because there is no place I can go in my own house and know I can not be interrupted. My bedroom is not comfortable unless I want to sit/lie on the bed. There is no room for other furniture. The setup of our house is really poor for privacy unless one has a bedroom with a door. I'm trying not to sound whiny, but just stating the facts of our house setup and that there is literally no place where I can sit at a desk or in a comfortable chair that is not a "public" room of the house. 

I can get out of the house alone sometimes (though right now we are down a car so 4 people juggling 2 cars, kids have jobs outside the house, so it's a bit crazy) but I don't always want to have to leave, right? I want to sit in my own house, drink my own coffee, etc, not have to go sit in a coffee shop or library.

Anyway that got long but the point is, I have to figure out this aspect of self-care. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I haven’t quantified my goals or set challenges for myself in the past, but I think a few challenges and tick-lists might keep me focused.

Physical

-          Daily exercise and time outside – even if it is just a 20 min walk. 

-          Eating healthy and good quality food.  No mindless snacking.  Trying 52 new recipes this year - one a week.

-          Budgeting (both time and money) for good haircuts, nail-care and clothing purchases.

Mental

-          Making things – Setting time aside each week to craft.  I've agreed to send a friend a weekly picture of progress made

-          Socializing – Schedule time with friends and not come to the weekend and think that I should have planned something.

-          No reading or attending to work emails after hours

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1