Menu

Omicron anecdata?

Not_a_Number

21 minutes ago, Mom_to3 said:

A report on one hypervaccinated individual. 

I don’t know whether to thank him for volunteering to prove that vaccines are safe or just laugh. Getting that many vaccinations must’ve been a FT job.

• Like 5

Paxlovid rebound.

Today is day 10. I was better but breathless and weak. Then last night and this morning a big surge in classic cold symptoms. 

By the time I am done with this I will have lost more than two weeks to active illness because someone felt Covid is not a big deal and all this Covid paranoia is so overblown. (Those are their exact words.)

• Sad 17

14 hours ago, kbutton said:

I don’t know whether to thank him for volunteering to prove that vaccines are safe or just laugh. Getting that many vaccinations must’ve been a FT job.

I wonder how that was paid for. 

@Harriet Vane I'm so sorry and hope you feel better very soon.  😞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

Paxlovid rebound.

Today is day 10. I was better but breathless and weak. Then last night and this morning a big surge in classic cold symptoms. 

By the time I am done with this I will have lost more than two weeks to active illness because someone felt Covid is not a big deal and all this Covid paranoia is so overblown. (Those are their exact words.)

Oh, I’m really sorry! So far are you finding your rebound symptoms to be better, worse, or the same as your initial symptoms?

How is your iron status typically? I can’t recall if you’re among the low iron people. More research out this week about the way iron dysregulation appears to play a part in Covid recovery and Long Covid.

I hope your symptom rebound is brief and you feel all better very soon. I know it’s not in your nature, but please take it easy for the sake of your body! Do some stretching and get up and move around, but I strongly recommend you don’t try to exercise right now.

Edited by KSera
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KSera said:

Oh, I’m really sorry! So far are you finding your rebound symptoms to be better, worse, or the same as your initial symptoms?

How is your iron status typically? I can’t recall if you’re among the low iron people. More research out this week about the way iron dysregulation appears to play a part in Covid recovery and Long Covid.

I hope your symptom rebound is brief and you feel all better very soon. I know it’s not in your nature, but please take it easy for the sake of your body! Do some stretching and get up and move around, but I strongly recommend you don’t try to exercise right now.

My rebound symptoms are slightly better than the initial covid symptoms, but not much. The difference is the body ache. Last week the first several days of covid were absolute misery--just not able to do much more than sleep a lot and ache with classic cold symptoms, fever, cough, etc. This resurgence doesn't have the ache or the brain fog, but my classic cold symptoms (blowing my nose thousands of times, etc.) are pretty brutal.

I have struggled with low iron in the past, but that hasn't been an issue in my 50s. But perhaps I'll down some blackstrap molasses to help boost the system any way I can.

Believe me, there's no exercise happening here. I just don't feel up to it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

8 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Science Based Medicine has posted a detailed unfavourable review.

Anonymous author also gives me pause.

Edited by wathe
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, kbutton said:

The author is listed as "anonymous," and the two "editors" are vehement anti-vaxers spreading the usual misinformation all over social media, including that covid shots cause cancer. They claim vaccines had nothing to do with eradication of childhood diseases, and instead blame pretty much all modern illnesses, including SIDS, autism, and the high rates of maternal and infant mortality in the US, on childhood vaccines. If you look at the reviews that the publisher includes, they are all by other antivaxers and authors of books like Outsmarting Autism, A Compromised Generation, and Brain Under Attack.

The fact that this was recommended to you by someone who is "generally sane" shows just how insidious the spread of antivax propaganda has become.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

I am so sorry, and infuriated on your behalf. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wathe said:

Science Based Medicine has posted a detailed unfavourable review.

Anonymous author also gives me pause.

I didn’t even noticed that! I just read the Amazon description and felt like it sounded potential okay and potentially not.

2 hours ago, Corraleno said:

The fact that this was recommended to you by someone who is "generally sane" shows just how insidious the spread of antivax propaganda has become.

Yep!!!

It was a recommendation to the general public vs. me.

I believe the person that recommended it has a parent who is an MD, so I had high hopes.

I am not well versed on who is antivax, so I appreciate the other specifics in your post.

10 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I take umbrage at the suggestion in his poll that pre-pandemic hand hygiene is an oops, lol! We know that hand-washing is important, but respiratory stuff is so much more important. My hand hygiene is pretty top notch. While I don’t always scrub as long as I should, I wash my hands all.the.time. 

What has slipped is me wiping doorknobs and light switches and such, sigh. I did it pre-pandemic, but for some reason, it went downhill relative to pre-pandemic some time in the last couple of years, maybe because we haven’t been getting sick. It’s a good practice no matter what’s circulating, even if it’s just plain dirt and grime, lol!

• Like 2

Those graphics are really useful @kbutton, where did you find them? It’s awful how often I read people reporting that their medical or mental health providers are telling them their Covid caution is a mental disorder rather than recognizing it as a rational set of precautions to prevalent threat. 

• Like 2

Just saw a headline (couldn't read the article) in Australian Doctor that ATAGI is no longer recommending covid vaccines for children. They're allowed to get two shots, but it sounds like they're telling GPs not to advise them to get it. It is simply mind-blowing, considering there is no harm to the vaccine, and there is harm from getting covid. I wish someone would investigate ATAGI - I just don't understand, except for saving $$. 

This is an old article (2022) about ATAGIs attitude towards vaccinating kids. In Australia, they hold all the power around vaccines.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/dec/10/atagis-strict-covid-restrictions-preventing-desperate-parents-from-vaccinating-their-children-expert-says

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

I was reading an article in Science yesterday about blood abnormalities in long covid, and there was this section that had nothing to do with the actual results that I found really striking (bolding mine) :

The new Long Covid project began in late 2020, when Yale University immunologist Akiko Iwasaki teamed up with David Putrino, a neurophysiologist at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai who was caring for affected patients. The pair wanted to compare those patients with people who had never been infected—and those who had recovered. To Putrino’s surprise, “It was quite challenging to find people who were fully recovered from COVID.” Many post–COVID-19 volunteers described themselves as healthy but then admitted, for example, that their once-normal gym workouts were too exhausting to resume. In the end, the team signed on 39 COVID-19–recovered volunteers among a total of 116 controls.

Blood abnormalities found in people with Long Covid

They had trouble finding people who had truly recovered fully after covid.

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

On 3/6/2024 at 8:02 AM, Harriet Vane said:

Paxlovid rebound.

My rebound felt worse than my initial illness, by far. I don't know if that's encouraging or not, but it was my normal.  I'm still angry for you that others around you blew off covid.  It was a few months to come back to fully normal for me.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, KSera said:

I was reading an article in Science yesterday about blood abnormalities in long covid, and there was this section that had nothing to do with the actual results that I found really striking (bolding mine) :

The cortisol thing is interesting. Mine has been sky high (and follows the wrong pattern), but I haven’t tested it post-Covid. I still have intermittent symptoms of it being high, but it’s not like there aren’t other confounding factors. The reason I didn’t test is that my provider’s preferred method is an expensive functional med test not covered by insurance, and I’m not worse.

My health quirks pre-date Covid, so I consider myself fully recovered. Covid didn’t worsen my issues.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, KSera said:

I can't believe how many people I know have symptoms of Long Covid that they don't perceive as LC. I obviously can't diagnose anyone, just really confused and sad to see lots of family and friends accepting major declines in health, often without questioning the cause or trying to prevent further decline.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, KSera said:

I am very concerned about Long Covid, but pretty much everyone I know who has had covid has fully recovered. I know many people who have had covid and none of them are experiencing long covid.  The only reason I wrote "pretty much everyone" is because two men I know who had covid died suddenly after they were sick and I suspect it was from covid but don't know for sure.  Maybe that wouldn't really be considered long covid, but just death from covid damage? 

I have a lot of long covid symptoms but have never had covid that I am aware of unless I was asymptomatic, but my exposure has always been extremely low so it's unlikely.  

Edited by Kassia

31 minutes ago, bookbard said:

possible cause for long covid?

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20240304/Iron-dysregulation-identified-as-potential-trigger-for-long-COVID.aspx

It makes sense on a lot of levels, eg why women are more likely to be affected. 

There’s been a lot of talk about this. Iron dysregulation has been a known of issue since early in the pandemic. Lactoferrin is one of the supplements many people with long Covid take because it assists with iron transport and is thought to help “get the iron where it needs to be.”  It seems like it helps some people, and not others. Some have very high ferritin and some have very low. It hasn’t generally been a cure, unfortunately, but iron regulation might be a key for some forms of the illness. It’s also hard to know chicken vs egg with some of these things.  

On 3/8/2024 at 4:27 PM, Acadie said:

I can't believe how many people I know have symptoms of Long Covid that they don't perceive as LC. I obviously can't diagnose anyone, just really confused and sad to see lots of family and friends accepting major declines in health, often without questioning the cause or trying to prevent further decline.

I thought of this thread when reading the autoimmune Reddit yesterday. It was both surreal and alarming to see post after post of people trying to figure out what’s wrong with them with all these new onset symptoms. I was surprised to see how infrequently anyone asked if they had Covid before the symptoms started. Except for one specific thread asking Why is everyone suddenly struggling with autoimmune like symptoms and having a hard time finding answers ? What is happening ? and the replies were almost all “Covid”. Many people describe in their reply their onset after a Covid infection. I think one thing that likely causes a large number of people to miss the connection is the fact that there’s frequently a time gap between Covid resolving and post acute sequelae of Covid becoming evident. For some people they start suddenly, but for many others it’s a gradual onset and it might be six or eight months before they reach the point where it’s severe enough that they can no longer do their usual activities.

I can almost understand the psychology that is making the majority of people put their head in the sand and pretend it’s not a problem anymore, or at least one that isn’t going to affect them, but I can’t figure out what the government’s  endgame is in downplaying it when it’s going to affect the workforce so much. If it was just in the US, I would think election year, but it’s like this everywhere. Hard to see how this doesn’t have a massive downstream effect.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, KSera said:

I thought of this thread when reading the autoimmune Reddit yesterday. It was both surreal and alarming to see post after post of people trying to figure out what’s wrong with them with all these new onset symptoms. I was surprised to see how infrequently anyone asked if they had Covid before the symptoms started. Except for one specific thread asking Why is everyone suddenly struggling with autoimmune like symptoms and having a hard time finding answers ? What is happening ? and the replies were almost all “Covid”. Many people describe in their reply their onset after a Covid infection. I think one thing that likely causes a large number of people to miss the connection is the fact that there’s frequently a time gap between Covid resolving and post acute sequelae of Covid becoming evident. For some people they start suddenly, but for many others it’s a gradual onset and it might be six or eight months before they reach the point where it’s severe enough that they can no longer do their usual activities.

I can almost understand the psychology that is making the majority of people put their head in the sand and pretend it’s not a problem anymore, or at least one that isn’t going to affect them, but I can’t figure out what the government’s  endgame is in downplaying it when it’s going to affect the workforce so much. If it was just in the US, I would think election year, but it’s like this everywhere. Hard to see how this doesn’t have a massive downstream effect.

I had a discussion on Facebook recently about this. Some people believe that long covid is not caused by covid at all but by the covid vaccine. I said that some people get long covid without being vaccinated. Then I was told that vaccinated people "shed" the spike protein, and unvaccinated people catch it and get long covid that way. Given enough imagination, people can rationalize almost any belief they want to have!

I also have an acquaintance who had a couple of covid shots early on and had covid three times (fairly close together) and then had a stroke. He does not blame the stroke on covid. He blames it on the covid shots he'd had at the beginning of the pandemic.

As for the government, I think their purpose for existence is to get re-elected! No one is playing the long-term game (or almost no one) where you look at the impact beyond the next election.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

25 minutes ago, PronghornD said:

I had a discussion on Facebook recently about this. Some people believe that long covid is not caused by covid at all but by the covid vaccine. I said that some people get long covid without being vaccinated. Then I was told that vaccinated people "shed" the spike protein, and unvaccinated people catch it and get long covid that way. Given enough imagination, people can rationalize almost any belief they want to have!

Yes, I hear it so much. Then you ask them how that explains all the people who developed long covid in 2020, before the vaccines had even been developed. Crickets. And of course they don't care that multiple studies show a reduction in risk of long covid among those who are vaccinated vs those who aren't. I actually do think there are some people who have had their illness triggered by the vaccine, just as Guillain-Barre has always been a potential side effect for a number of vaccines. I just think it's clear that that is much, much, much less common than getting it from the illness. Just like myocarditis.

29 minutes ago, PronghornD said:

I also have an acquaintance who had a couple of covid shots early on and had covid three times (fairly close together) and then had a stroke. He does not blame the stroke on covid. He blames it on the covid shots he'd had at the beginning of the pandemic.

I hear this also! No matter when or how many times they've had covid, it's the shot. Makes no sense.

• Like 2

Spoke to a friend who is on second time round. She’s surprised and angry that it’s just as bad as the first time. (They have various life circumstances that make avoidance pretty much impossible so I really sympathise… and feel pretty crabby with the people who knowingly took sick kids out and gave it to them)

• Sad 7

From the New York Times
As a Doctor, I Don’t Fear Covid as I Once Did. But I Carry Its Grave Lessons Forward.

Concedes long COVID, then babbles on that it’s just the flu for everyone.

And we are still adapting to a new reality: The virus is endemic. Covid is no longer so different from the seasonal flu and a host of other respiratory viruses, an inconvenience for most of us but a dangerous and potentially mortal threat for some. We have ricocheted in a few short years to acceptance from terror, which leaves us in a strange place: How do the majority of us move on when this virus still poses a threat to a relative few? Can we balance our desire to forget the past few years with the lessons that we, as a country, have learned?

And From The Vertlantic
As A Doctor, I Don’t Fear Covid As I Once Did. Oh, You’re Receiving Cancer Treatment And An Infection Like Covid Could Kill You? Well, That Must Suck Now That We’ve All Moved On.

and this:

As A Doctor, I Don’t Fear Covid As I Once Did. Or Cholera. Or Ebola. Or Anything At All, Actually, Come To Think Of It. I Wonder If Something Has Damaged The Part Of My Brain That Handles Risk Assessment.

Edited by Amoret

1 hour ago, Amoret said:

From the New York Times
As a Doctor, I Don’t Fear Covid as I Once Did. But I Carry Its Grave Lessons Forward.

Concedes long COVID, then babbles on that it’s just the flu for everyone.

And we are still adapting to a new reality: The virus is endemic. Covid is no longer so different from the seasonal flu and a host of other respiratory viruses, an inconvenience for most of us but a dangerous and potentially mortal threat for some. We have ricocheted in a few short years to acceptance from terror, which leaves us in a strange place: How do the majority of us move on when this virus still poses a threat to a relative few? Can we balance our desire to forget the past few years with the lessons that we, as a country, have learned?

And From The Vertlantic
As A Doctor, I Don’t Fear Covid As I Once Did. Oh, You’re Receiving Cancer Treatment And An Infection Like Covid Could Kill You? Well, That Must Suck Now That We’ve All Moved On.

Yeah, I can’t bring myself to even click on that one to read based on other snippets. Like the part where she (he?) describes her glee at the hospital no longer requiring doctors to mask in the ICU and being able to stop wearing it. 

I can’t get over that the official line continues to be that it’s a threat only to certain people, and a small number of them at that. That’s clearly not the case (except to those with a skewed sense of what a 5-10% risk looks like in reality). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, KSera said:

Like the part where she (he?) describes her glee at the hospital no longer requiring doctors to mask in the ICU and being able to stop wearing it. 

Oh, that’s twisted. People in the ICU might not be able to mask, and we know nosocomial infections are super common. There is NOTHiNg that a person could be in the ICU for that suggests getting Covid would be a good idea, even if they fully recover. Just what every critical person needs—more misery or a long time being ill!!! 

• Sad 4

50 minutes ago, KSera said:

I read an NPR piece today that I almost commented on here because I found the take so awful, but now tonight I read this response piece and I'll share this instead.

Disabled people's exclusion from indoor spaces is a civil rights violation, not an annoyance

Square - square.jpg

See, that's the thing. I cannot understand why nobody has done one single thing about indoor air quality. It seems like such a no-brainer. It helps with all the viruses. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harriet Vane said:

See, that's the thing. I cannot understand why nobody has done one single thing about indoor air quality. It seems like such a no-brainer. It helps with all the viruses. 

I thought it was the money, but according to this, it’s not. It’s just a lack of making the regulations that require it:

”But none of these efforts has yet coalesced into anything like a rigorous national plan.

For once, money does not appear to be the barrier. The American Rescue Plan allotted $350 billion to state and local governments for Covid-related expenses, including measures to improve air quality. Schools can tap another $200 billion from various programs instituted during the pandemic.

For private businesses, even an investment of just $40 per employee could save about $7,000 per person per year, according to Joseph Allen, director of the Healthy Buildings program at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.

But widespread change is unlikely unless a federal agency or official is tasked with establishing and enforcing standards, many scientists believe.

“The problem is there’s no regulatory authority to make this happen on the federal level,” said David Michaels, who led the Occupational Safety and Health Administration under President Barack Obama.”

Why We’re Still Breathing Dirty Indoor Air

• Sad 5

@KSera That is so upsetting and frustrating.  And it just totally blows my mind.  To know how much of a difference that would make for people not just for Covid but for other illnesses too. Gosh I just want to yell and scream. Defies logic.  If businesses care about their employees being there for profits than this would pay off year and year again.  No sense.

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 2

Saw an interesting article about how NZ and Australia were the only places not to have a fall in life expectancy due to Covid, and how it vindicated their lockdowns:

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/how-australia-bucked-a-global-covid-19-life-expectancy-trend/thpl96aw4?utm_campaign=CDAqEAgAKgcICjDNi4ELMMz8-wIwrdf1AQ&utm_content=rundown&utm_medium=gnews&utm_source=newsshowcase

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

It's interesting to me how people are simultaneously very, very concerned about the rare side effects from the vaccines (to the point of refusing them and speaking out about how dangerous they are), while also not at all concerned about serious side effects of covid "because they don't know anyone who had any."

It tends to go hand and hand with the logic that it's apparently simultaneously "just a cold" and also "a genetically engineered bio-weapon unleashed on the US by a foreign adversary". Makes no sense.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, KSera said:

It's interesting to me how people are simultaneously very, very concerned about the rare side effects from the vaccines (to the point of refusing them and speaking out about how dangerous they are), while also not at all concerned about serious side effects of covid "because they don't know anyone who had any."

It tends to go hand and hand with the logic that it's apparently simultaneously "just a cold" and also "a genetically engineered bio-weapon unleashed on the US by a foreign adversary". Makes no sense.

One of the HCA sites recently profiled a guy whose social media was full of all the usual antivax, anti-Fauci, "it's just a cold, wake up sheeple" stuff, who ended up in the ICU for many months before being sent home hooked to an oxygen tank with less than 30% lung function. Was in and out of the hospital over the following 18 months as he caught multiple new respiratory infections one after the other, until he finally passed away, but he never once blamed covid or thought that maybe getting vaccinated would have been a good idea. Right up to the end he was blaming remdesivir, intubation, and the hospital's refusal to give him ivermectin ("which has been proven effective"), even claiming that his doctors said they had never seen covid "do so much damage to a healthy guy like me." Because of course covid is usually totally benign in overweight men in their 50s, so no one could possibly have predicted that it would severely damage his heart and lungs. 

I've also seen social media posts from antivaxers with symptoms of long covid who blame the vaccine even though they never had it — it's all those vaxed mudbloods walking around shedding viruses (including HIV???) who are causing the problems! 

• Sad 4

23 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

I've also seen social media posts from antivaxers with symptoms of long covid who blame the vaccine even though they never had it

Yes. People have lost their minds (which, I mean, Covid is known to do that, so....)

• Like 3