Menu

2021 PSAT Score…

12 minutes ago, SusanC said:

I had no idea there were "score release" areas. My kids never tell me anything!! 😄 Do you know why they do this? 

So that their servers have a lower chance of crashing 🤣 same reason for AP results being released on different days for different states.

image.thumb.png.86f267f48c58d29a0362b5bb426ad059.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

DS2 received an email that his score is available, but they aren’t posted.

This happened with my nephew.  Oddly, his mom can't see the scores from her computer.  He can.  They are in Virginia and she's checked that her computer "says" Virginia.  She can't on her phone, either.  So, maybe try another computer?  He was at school when he checked and she had home, but I think he checked from his phone. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, freesia said:

This happened with my nephew.  Oddly, his mom can't see the scores from her computer.  He can.  They are in Virginia and she's checked that her computer "says" Virginia.  She can't on her phone, either.  So, maybe try another computer?  He was at school when he checked and she had home, but I think he checked from his phone. 

Will do!  Thank you!  Maybe it is a VA thing -- LOL!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, freesia said:

It isn't working on my PC or his PC.  We can't get to the scores on my iPad, my iPhone or his iPhone.  His brother logged into his account from his iPhone and can get in, but the score isn't showing.  Who knows...

Funny thing is he wagered a deal with his dad regarding a certain meal he wanted if he got a certain score.  Hopefully I'm not cooking tomorrow night (since we don't have the scores today -- LOL).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

It isn't working on my PC or his PC.  We can't get to the scores on my iPad, my iPhone or his iPhone.  His brother logged into his account from his iPhone and can get in, but the score isn't showing.  Who knows...

Funny thing is he wagered a deal with his dad regarding a certain meal he wanted if he got a certain score.  Hopefully I'm not cooking tomorrow night (since we don't have the scores today -- LOL).

That's too bad. 😞

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

My SIL says the college board told her to have the student call. Nephew’s scores have now disappeared. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RootAnn said:

Welp. Her birthdate is listed wrong somewhere. We're going to have to call. 

Both of my boys’ bdays were wrong.  One got his scores yesterday morning.  One didn’t.  I called and they said they are trying to fix his bday and email address.  Still nothing.  Will have to call again today.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

At least I didn't wait on hold forever. She had a paper account and an online account plus the birthday issue. It'll be 5-7 business days more.

So glad she's only a sophomore or I'd be much less patient.

That is what I was told last night.  What the heck is a paper account anyway?  They didn't tell me 5-7 business days though 😞 .  Mine have had a PSAT 8/9, CLEP, and SAT exam and no problems like this.  I hope this isn't how the AP stuff goes in May.  Is it a Virginia thing only or are other states having the same problem?  

I'm not why DS1's worked.  His birthdate is correct for on-line account, but is a day earlier when I look at the matching tool under scores.  I don't know if he also had a paper account (they took it at the same school at the same time), but he got his results first thing yesterday morning.

Such a bummer...

15 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

I'm not why DS1's worked.  His birthdate is correct for on-line account, but is a day earlier when I look at the matching tool under scores.  I don't know if he also had a paper account (they took it at the same school at the same time), but he got his results first thing yesterday morning.

This was exactly her issue!

I assume someone or someones are taking these requests to fix things and going through them one by one. Since almost 1.5 million kids took the PSAT in October and some percentage of those kids need their accounts tweaked, someone will be busy for the next 5-7 business days fixing them. I wish the customer service person could do it on the phone but apparently, the college board is not set up for that.

42 minutes ago, freesia said:

The system is down now.  Ds has not gotten an email or his score yet.

@RootAnn @mlktwins

AWS (Amazon web services) is down for their North Virginia region and CollegeBoard uses AWS. Might be a coincidence or might be the scores are in the AWS cloud that’s suffering an outage.

ETA:

My community college instructor just informed us that Canvas is on AWS so the quiz for our finals might be affected by the outage. He would extend the deadline if needed.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Collegeboard posted on Facebook an hour ago

”We are experiencing a temporary outage across our applications. Our teams are working to resolve it as quickly as possible. Please check back soon. Thank you for your patience.”

It's a good thing this is my third child, because I actually have patience. If this had been my first.....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, freesia said:

It's a good thing this is my third child, because I actually have patience. If this had been my first.....

If it is due to AWS outage, it won’t be CollegeBoard’s fault this time. I have an AWS account and Virginia region is still down. I learned patience from Comcast outages 🤦‍♀️ My Canvas is intermittently crashing so I can’t do my timed final exam. My teens are waiting for Canvas to stabilize too to do their finals.

Thanks for the update, just saw the note on the CB page about the outage?

Tell me again why do we care about the PSAT score? I looked at the colleges offering scholarships for merit, there aren't many, and frankly not enough offered. And we're in California, so it's going to be hard to get past the threshold. 

8 hours ago, RootAnn said:

Welp. Her birthdate is listed wrong somewhere. We're going to have to call. 

Exact same situation with ds's birthday!  I called this afternoon and I think he also had two different emails.  It's supposed to be fixed, but the site went down after that so I can't check.  I guess I broke the college board!  (You're welcome.)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mlktwins said:

That is what I was told last night.  What the heck is a paper account anyway?  They didn't tell me 5-7 business days though 😞 .  Mine have had a PSAT 8/9, CLEP, and SAT exam and no problems like this.  I hope this isn't how the AP stuff goes in May.  Is it a Virginia thing only or are other states having the same problem?  

Such a bummer...

3 hours ago, RootAnn said:

This was exactly her issue!

I assume someone or someones are taking these requests to fix things and going through them one by one. Since almost 1.5 million kids took the PSAT in October and some percentage of those kids need their accounts tweaked, someone will be busy for the next 5-7 business days fixing them. I wish the customer service person could do it on the phone but apparently, the college board is not set up for that.

OMgoodness!  What's up with the birthdays being off by one day?  That happened to us too.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

Tell me again why do we care about the PSAT score? I looked at the colleges offering scholarships for merit, there aren't many, and frankly not enough offered. And we're in California, so it's going to be hard to get past the threshold. 

Well, it depends on where your kid is open to going to school, their intended major, interests, etc. A few places still offer really good deals. While the current NMF scholarship isn't as good, when DD#1 was a senior, she had one true full ride (full cost of attendance) offer and one almost complete full ride (full tuition, 4 year housing+meals, $1000/yr additional stipend to go towards fees, books, etc -- this is the one she chose) due to her NMF status. There were other schools with offers just as generous (University of Texas-Dallas and University of Alabama) that she chose not to apply to. Her full college bill each semester of what is left over that her scholarship doesn't cover has been around $500 (mostly books, honors college fees, and a parking pass).

Dd#2's first semester of college, living at home and having accepted a partial tuition scholarship, has already cost more than 2 1/2 years of college (away from home) for DD#1 (due to her NMF award).

If you have a very specific major that is not available in many places, geographic restrictions, only want a specific type of college, or other need like that, then there is no reason to care about the PSAT score. 

On 12/7/2021 at 4:44 PM, crazyforlatin said:

Thanks for the update, just saw the note on the CB page about the outage?

It may depend where you live then.  Where we live, being a National merit finalist opens up many full rides and perks. They roll out the red carpet for NMs.  So it’s a huge deal here as long as you’re okay with not going to an elite or prestigious school.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, matrips said:

It may depend where you live then.  Where we live, being a National merit finalist opens up many full rides and perks. They roll out the red carpet for NMs.  So it’s a huge deal here as long as you’re okay with not going to an elite or prestigious school.  

One college near us gives $5k, the other one which is ranked around 100 is not even listed under colleges that offer money for NMs. That’s the one we’re interested in due to it being close to home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crazyforlatin said:

One college near us gives $5k, the other one which is ranked around 100 is not even listed under colleges that offer money for NMs. That’s the one we’re interested in due to it being close to home.

Are you only looking locally?  The out of state schools should still cover full Cost of Attendance if she gets NM; they’d waive the extra OOS cost.  Some are not as far, but they’re still outside CA. I think Washington state, New Mexico, Arizona and Idaho have good NM scholarships.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

Look at out of state colleges.   My DD is 7 hours away, but she's on a full ride scholarship!  There were 2 in my state that offered a decent package, but UAlabama was the best.  Florida schools also offered a really nice package,  too- but they were even further away.  Texas had a few with good offers.  We had not planned on her being so far from home,  but its working out and she loves it!  Lots of kids are from as far away or further away!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For those who are still waiting for scores, for those who the matching tool didn't work, etc, if you haven't called the College Board yet (not emailed, called!!), I suggest your student (or you) call today. They insist they need 5-7 working days from your call to get it straightened out. Better to start that clock ticking now if you haven't already. This will get you a case number to reference when you call back.

And the customer service reps don't all seem to realize that honeschoolers can't go to "the school" to get their scores because the College Board does not recognize homeschoolers as a school and give us access separately from our students like guidance counselors get. And no, the school my kid took it at doesn't get her scores either (thankfully).

Our 5-7 business days are up somewhere between next Tuesday & a week from today depending on how you count them.

• Like 1

I'm calling them now.  Wish me luck!!!

Does anyone know if this was only an issue with homeschoolers?

I did email the coordinator at the high school they took the test at and am waiting to hear back.

I'm glad this is our last one of these!!!

I've was planning to register them for the March SAT, but am waiting until I know everything is ok with the PSAT.

I've also registered them for an AP exam in May.  Hope there are no issues with that!

ETA;  I called.  We have to wait until Thursday to call again if it doesn't show up by Wednesday, which will be the 7th business day.  Poo...

Edited by mlktwins
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

I'm calling them now.  Wish me luck!!!

Does anyone know if this was only an issue with homeschoolers?

I did email the coordinator at the high school they took the test at and am waiting to hear back.

I'm glad this is our last one of these!!!

I've was planning to register them for the March SAT, but am waiting until I know everything is ok with the PSAT.

I've also registered them for an AP exam in May.  Hope there are no issues with that!

ETA;  I called.  We have to wait until Thursday to call again if it doesn't show up by Wednesday, which will be the 7th business day.  Poo...

How frustrating!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, freesia said:

We got ds’s scores today. They were fine—a bit lower than his June SAT scores.  They are the same as my older 2’s scores. I’m astounded how consistently the same they’ve all scored. 

I'm so glad he got his scores!  DS will keep checking College Board for the next 3 days -- LOL.  I'm hoping the school can give them to me (or him)!!!  The guy I spoke to today said they would have all the scores - even the homeschoolers.

• Like 1