Menu

How long should you wait to get vaccine after having covid?

melbotoast

Title says it all. I've looked a little bit but can't find a clear recommendation. It sounds like you're pretty well protected for three months, but I'd rather get it done sooner and be prepared. On the other hand, I don't want the side effects to be worse if we do it too soon. 

Edited by melbotoast

21 hours ago, melbotoast said:

Title says it all. I've looked a little bit but can't find a clear recommendation. It sounds like you're pretty well protected for three months, but I'd rather get it done sooner and be prepared. On the other hand, I don't want the side effects to be worse if we do it too soon. 

(This is for my newly-turned 12yo, please don't quote) 

My sister's doctor gave them a note for 60 days.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, EKS said:

The reason to wait is that if your body doesn't have to work to mount an immune response--because there is already circulating antibody in your system--the vaccine won't do what it's supposed to do. 

Well, that makes sense! We'll wait the three months then. Thanks 🙂

3 minutes ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

A close relative here continued testing antibodies, because doctor advised 3 months after antibodies subsided.

That's interesting! I would definitely be curious to see how that would play out, but we probably won't bother. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

A close relative here continued testing antibodies, because doctor advised 3 months after antibodies subsided.

I have been doing antibody tests since March 2020 for a university here (not in the States). My antibodies have remained strong since then. I remain unvaccinated due to the research they are wanting to do.

DH had COVID the same time but was vaccinated three months after infection. Following his Dr. recommendation, and then he has participated in the university's research as well under the category of had infection then the vaccine. 

Interestingly my antibodies have remained strong and his haven't. 

But we haven't been given the data of all the others. So I don't know how the others have faired. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lulalu said:

I have been doing antibody tests since March 2020 for a university here (not in the States). My antibodies have remained strong since then. I remain unvaccinated due to the research they are wanting to do.

DH had COVID the same time but was vaccinated three months after infection. Following his Dr. recommendation, and then he has participated in the university's research as well under the category of had infection then the vaccine. 

But we haven't been given the data of all the others. So I don't know how the others have faired. 

Did you know you had caught it sometime before March 2020?

7 hours ago, lulalu said:

DH had COVID the same time but was vaccinated three months after infection.

Wow. Was there somewhere in the world vaccinating within three months of March 2020? Or was he in one of the first trials? Curious which vaccine he got. 

12 hours ago, lulalu said:

Yes, this particular relative's antibodies have remained strong > 13 months. It's interesting. 

Edited by Lucy the Valiant
  • Like 1

I would wait more like 6 months. This is because right now, you can get the shots, and then the booster, but nothing else is approved. And the immunity seems to be more like 6+ months. I know my one son had it and over 3 months later, we all tested for antibodies and his was still positive. Mine was negative, but I had been vaccinated. My understanding is, if you do the shot too early, you are more likely to have big side effects. I had no side effects. 

On 10/29/2021 at 12:24 AM, KSera said:

Wow. Was there somewhere in the world vaccinating within three months of March 2020? Or was he in one of the first trials? Curious which vaccine he got. 

No, DH (high risk) had infection twice. There was no vaccine available in our country in 2020. He didn't begin the research until 2021. When Delta came around he got that. He was vaccinated three months after his second time around. Sorry, I didn't word my post well. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/29/2021 at 9:01 AM, Janeway said:

I know my one son had it and over 3 months later, we all tested for antibodies and his was still positive. Mine was negative, but I had been vaccinated. 

If it was the regular antibody test (like was positive for your son), that doesn’t show positive for antibodies from the vaccine. That requires a different antibody test.