Menu

Amazon delivery issues. Urgh.

I saw a thread on this the other day that I can't find now. When I read it I checked my account which looked okay, but now the order from 12/7 has a notice on it saying they won't be delivered until after 12/25.

I'm perturbed because they are advertising that you still have 8 days or so to order and get the free super saver shipping delivered by Christmas.

Just thought some of you would like to know about this before you place orders through Amazon.

Okay, I just put something in my shopping cart, and it said the item wouldn't be delivered until after Dec. 25th since it can't be shipped for another 2-4 weeks. Whoops, no, that's not going to work, so I took it back out.

And then, because I'm weird that way, I put it back in again, just to see what would happen. This time it says it can be shipped immediately. Hmmm....

I think Amazon.com has entered some kind of alternate universe where time works a different way. Or something. I was also having problems with getting the website to load, like the entire system is crumbling.

Are you sure you don't have an item on there that is temporarily out of stock? You might be able to cancel the order and reorder it without the item (assuming you would still qualify). I know I read somewhere that sometimes packages get shipped without going through the scanner so they aren't shown as shipped until they reach their destination. I received a journal last week that was still showing an estimated delivery date of Dec 20th on Amazon when it showed up. Have you gotten an email saying it has shipped yet?

I ordered from them recently and checked to make sure everything was in stock. Then a couple of days later I got a notice that my shipment would go out on 12/18 - 2 weeks later!

I e-mailed them & asked kindly why it would take so long when everything was in stock. They explained something about "limited availability" which I don't see but apparently their products are not all just on a shelf in one office.

Anyways, to make a long story short, they fixed it & the next day it was on its way to my house...

So, try e-mailing them for help.

If anything in your order is not immediately available and you choose super saver shipping, the WHOLE order waits until everything is available to ship. Try to figure what the problem item is and order the rest would be my suggestion.

Actually that is not always true. I ordered multiple things and used the free shipping and one part was sent first and then the rest arrived a few days later.

I've actually ordered from Amazon and Target almost equally this year for that reason. One Lego item is out-of-stock at Amazon, and Target said mid-December when I ordered it in November. Now Target says January though, so I cancelled it and got something else from Amazon. I hate waiting and hoping that things will ship in time, but it does beat going to the mall for me!

Actually that is not always true. I ordered multiple things and used the free shipping and one part was sent first and then the rest arrived a few days later.

it would depend on where they were shipping from. I've had them split orders that were shipping from opposite sides of the country! LOL!!

I don't know if this makes any difference or not, but dh just told me that there was a *major* break-down of the USPS web site yesterday. Apparently all of their postage calculators, pre-paid postage print options, etc...were unavailable. This affected many online websites, which couldn't calculate postage for their products. (I assume online shopping cart programs link somehow with the USPS site to calculate shipping.) It could be possible that since Amazon sends many orders through the USPS, their delivery schedule was thrown off in some way.

I'm guessing dh knows what he was talking about, but the only information I was able to find on this situation was on Slashdot. Just thought I should mention it.

-Robin

I ordered stuff last week on the free shipping and it said it wouldn't ship until the 22nd. I hit the hope button and sent it anyway. Just got an email that it is all on it's way! Yippee!

No such luck with the Wii fit tho!

I ordered a week ago and Amazon said they'd ship on the 15th. It shipped today. I think they are just hedging their bets.

Okay, I just put something in my shopping cart, and it said the item wouldn't be delivered until after Dec. 25th since it can't be shipped for another 2-4 weeks. Whoops, no, that's not going to work, so I took it back out.

And then, because I'm weird that way, I put it back in again, just to see what would happen. This time it says it can be shipped immediately. Hmmm....

I think Amazon.com has entered some kind of alternate universe where time works a different way. Or something. I was also having problems with getting the website to load, like the entire system is crumbling.

And it's already been shipped now, after all of that "not available" business.

As they say: "under promise, over deliver."

I had that happen the other day. I ordered something on the 7th and when I checked out it said that it was estimated to get delivered on Dec. 30-January 5th. When they actually shipped the order though it gave be a delivery date of next Friday. So, the date may change after it actually ships. (We will see if it actually gets here then though)

I'm delurking to show my gratitude to you all! :001_smile:

I placed my Amazon order on Dec. 1st, and they were giving me a Dec. 15-18 shipping date. I was concerned it wouldn't be here on time, but I've always had great luck with them so I wasn't too worried.

I read this thread and decided to give them a call to see why the delay, and 3 of my items were on backorder! The new delivery time was as late as Christmas Eve. I wonder what would of happened if those items didn't restock in time..

I dropped the backordered items and the gentleman helping me offered a one-time shipping upgrade to help - my order was shipped the following day. Luckily I was able to find the backordered items in town!

Anyway, thank you all again!

Krys

Be sure to keep an eye on your emails from Amazon. IF they have to change an expected shipping date they send an email stating the new shipping date and ask for your approval. If you do not use the link to your account and approve the change they cancel the item. I guess I have a couple of books that are backordered. Fortunately not gifts-those have shipped already. Also-when you have the option when checking out be sure to click the box that says "ship my items as they become available" if that is possible for you. It keeps the entire order from being delayed.

Tell us about the Amazon rebates. This is a benefit of Prime?

Not Jennifer, but I do this also.

Prime and the card (which is what gives the rebates) are 2 separate things.

You earn points when you use the card, triple points when you use it on Amazon. Every 2500 points gives you a $25 gift certificate. You don't have to carry a balance on the card to earn points (that is, you can pay the balance in full each month so that you never have to pay interest on the card; there is no annual fee for the card, either).

The Prime service costs $70 per year (I think). It is separate from the card. But 7500 in points on your card would pay for the Prime service. If you use the card a lot, it adds up quickly.

So, to reiterate, Prime and the card are 2 separate things, but they can work together nicely if you happen to shop a lot at Amazon. If you've got both you'll find yourself buying cases of gluten-free grocery items, that graphing calculator your middle schooler needs, and last minute books for your MIL's Christmas gift, etc., because it's quick and convenient and you don't have to worry about Super Saver shipping.

Edited by GailV