Menu

Cuomo Resigns

pinball

Good. I never jumped on the Cuomo bandwagon, and I shivered when folks were floating him as presidential material back in the early covid days. I don't know what it is about swaggering, brash, egotistical males that sets some hearts aflutter politically, but these guys should not be near power. They shine for two seconds in severe crises because we love to feel like someone is is control, and then they go back to wrecking lives and abusing their power.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

He lost me when he wrote a book about his awesomeness at quelling the Covid pandemic—last fall when we were still smack in the middle of it.

I have met Kathy Hochul a few times and honestly liked her. I am not a democrat so we might differ politically, but she seemed like a genuinely decent person. Time will tell, I guess.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, livetoread said:

Good. I never jumped on the Cuomo bandwagon, and I shivered when folks were floating him as presidential material back in the early covid days. I don't know what it is about swaggering, brash, egotistical males that sets some hearts aflutter politically, but these guys should not be near power. They shine for two seconds in severe crises because we love to feel like someone is is control, and then they go back to wrecking lives and abusing their power.

Oh, you’d be surprised at how many women are drawn to this type of man. You find them everywhere, in the most unusual of places…

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, livetoread said:

I’ll admit, I was fully drawn in to what I saw as basic competence in as much as “competence” was a thing in the first thick of it, which isn’t saying a whole lot for anyone else’s effectiveness or even the known results there when it came down to it. But I felt there was strength (as a neighboring state.). 
But, yeah... hindsight.  And, ya know, more info.
Rudy was once thought of as capable, too.

• Like 8

I wonder if his sudden resignation was influenced by the fact that the New Yorker just published a long article this morning by Ronan Farrow that details Cuomo's attempts to intervene in corruption investigations when they got too close to him or his allies.

It's so strange that his office was aggressively denying all claims in the investigative report, maligning the integrity of not only his accusers but also Letitia James, and then news stations suddenly cut from covering the press conference about how he was going to fight the accusations to announcing that he resigned. 

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

I wonder if his sudden resignation was influenced by the fact that the New Yorker just published a long article this morning by Ronan Farrow that details Cuomo's attempts to intervene in corruption investigations when they got too close to him or his allies.

It's so strange that his office was aggressively denying all claims in the investigative report, maligning the integrity of not only his accusers but also Letitia James, and then news stations suddenly cut from covering the press conference about how he was going to fight the accusations to announcing that he resigned. 

I was wondering about the same thing.  What else are about to release on him.  

I never cared for him and have heard stories about his antics for years.  About time they caught up with him. 

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

I'm so happy to admit that I was wrong. I didn't think he'd resign in a million years.

I got to thinking about this earlier- if he resigned, he could run again for political office. Give the I have learned my lesson over the years about how wrong I was speech.  Those go still think he is awesome would still vote for him. I don’t expect him to fade away from the cameras as he loves himself too much.  Unless they can actually get it together to get a conviction….

• Like 3

2 hours ago, livetoread said:

I felt the same about Rudy Giuliani after 9/11 when everyone was calling him "America's Mayor". Nope. I didn't forget who he was before 9/11 and he only got worse as the years went on. 

While I wasn't worshipping Cuomo last year I did think he was doing a pretty good job. That is until the information about nursing homes came out. Plus when compared to my own governor he was doing a good job.

ETA: I'm glad he resigned. I do think he would have been impeached and removed but at least the people of NYS are saved the cost of impeachment proceedings.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I’ll admit, I was fully drawn in to what I saw as basic competence in as much as “competence” was a thing in the first thick of it, which isn’t saying a whole lot for anyone else’s effectiveness or even the known results there when it came down to it. But I felt there was strength (as a neighboring state.). 
But, yeah... hindsight.  And, ya know, more info.
Rudy was once thought of as capable, too.

Yep, I was, too. He seemed competent. Heck, I still think he’s relatively competent, although the pandemic book turned me off, too.

He seems like a smart guy but one whose ego made him unable to act on it. It’s a shame.

(And of course, he seems like an asshole. But honestly, I don’t necessarily expect politicians not to be asses.)

• Like 2